Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    I've asked many people about changing my oils. ALL agree it would be much better. The clicking, I believe is a valve noise caused by heat. The dealer said it's normal. Personally I don't think so. I have never heard it except after a hard drive and only the one time. PLUS the regular oil seems really thin (in my opinion) so this is one reason I think I could not see it on the dip stick.

We all have the two year agreement, maintaince free. I've owned my Avalon for over a year now with 10 thousand miles on it. So I think I will switch next oild change.

Thanks for the advice.
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    Has anyone had experience drilling holes in the trunk lid to anchor the bottom of the license plate? Is there any issue with doing this? Is there a better way to secure the plate so that it won't bounce and rattle?
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    I would try either some really good double stick tape (the foam kind) or purchase some rubber bumpers and silicone them to your license plate. There is no way I would drill into my trunk lid, that just adds the potential for rust, water leak etc.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• fhffhf Posts: 19
    I put a dab of silicon seal on the bottom corners of the license plate. After It setup, this holds the plate out from the trunk surface and prevents movement.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Don't know for sure, but my Lexus also clicks softly sometimes. I've been told by many, it's the high pressure injectors for the direct injection. The one thing I do know, is they do, "all do it", so I have ceased to worry, and turn up the radio..... :blush:
  • gramzgramz Posts: 102
    edited August 2011
    By chance that someone from Toyota mointors this forum how about we comment about our dislikes. Maybe someone down the road will get an improved car because of it.

Off the top of my head a couple of issues come to mind.

Speedometer. Probably not the best vision but I really have a problem seeing 55, 65,75, etc. I think part of the problem is that 80 is at top, which I'm not used too and units of 20 between numbers instead of 10. If they had left off the 120 mph to 160 mph there would have been a lot of room to improve the speedometer.

Temperature. Really hate to have to go through the dash menu everytime I want to see the temp. Could be real easy to put in mirror or radio screen.

Keyless entry. Really dislike not being able to leave my car running and lock the door. We have some really cold weather and it's nice to be able to let the car warm up with the doors locked.

Last is the power supply at the bottom of the storage box. There is no grove to run cords through.

I realize these are minor issues and I really like my car but unless they are changed I would have to think a long time before I purchased another Avalon.

Curious if others have the same or different issues.
    I put this cushion tape on my tag. It worked great for me, no rattle, no scratching of the paint. I put the cushion tap on the tag NOT the car. Hope this helps.
    Never hurts to mention them. I would think a Toyota represented would read this blog.
    Now finding the outside temp gauge is something I don't like. My mom says it's always freezing in the back seat. Even with the vents cut off air still comes through. HOwever she loves the room.
  • far008far008 Posts: 1
    I bought AVALON 2005 LIMITED last yr....and i faced the problem in a month which was the traction off... place where i live is gets too much snow in winter...and the only problem in avalon is tht there is no TRACTION OFF switch...can any one help me out with this so i can turn off the traction in next winters :)
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    edited August 2011

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Your Avalon is FWD, FWD vehicles can turn HAZARDOUS in an INSTANT in slippery conditions. Granted, you may need to switch it off in certain wintertime conditions, but only briefly, during the "event", not totally nor completely.

A continuously active traction control system, or even VSC, can prevent a serious accident, even save you life.
    I notice the other day I picked up speed coming down an on ramp. I was trying to catch another car. Our Avalon reached over 100 MPG easy. HOWEVER as I turned to get on the HWY, I could feel the weight switch. This car, with the power it has really needs to be RWD. I was very surprised to see bad handling of this car, yet I know I shouldn't be. I guess I expected this car to hold the road like my 1996 Impala SS.

I still love the car (Avalon) and that was an unusal situation. It's just it's not RWD and I should watch the curves as such a high speed. I assume I was going about 110.
    Yes, when lateral corrections or inputs are to be made it is definitely best to not have driving or braking (ABS) forces at the front.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Keyless entry. Really dislike not being able to leave my car running and lock the door. We have some really cold weather and it's nice to be able to let the car warm up with the doors locked.

I'm with you on this. My Lexus is the same, here though, it's HOT days, like to leave the A/C on and lock the door. I can do it on my other cars, but not these.
  • marv15marv15 Posts: 32
    I visited with my Toyota Dealer a week ago. He was all excited about the newly designed Avalon that he saw at the Dealers show in Los Vegas. He wasn't allowed to take pictures. He said it's totaly redesigned and absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to get a glimpse of it. I have the 2011 Avalon that I love and don't want to sell it. But it all depends on what they bring out later this year in 2011 (Nov/Dec) for the new 2012/2013 Avalon.
    At least this is what he told me.
    edited August 2011
    I have read that the 2012 Avalon will be a mirror image of the 2011. This article seemed reliable. I read this article some time back. I suspect they will change some cosmetics but besides that I don't see them changing much this soon.

I did do some research and found the article below. The article says the front end has changed some. Do YOU, see enough change to upgrade to a 2012? I certainly don't. Here is a good site to view the 2012, thanks,

http://www.2012toyotaavalon.com/
    edited August 2011
    Thanks, YES, I can't hear the clicking, ONLY with the door open and only in the garage. With the radio on NO noise at all. :) The dealer said it's the way the motor is made and NOT to worry. It's very minor and ONLY happened after a very hard drive. My car did NOT over heat, and ran really good. VERY fast, my only complaint was front wheel drive showed up on a few curves going over 100 mph maybe faster. I guess that's normal. Still LOVE the car and the MPG.

Check out 2012 changes: http://www.2012toyotaavalon.com/

For those interested.

2012 Toyota Avalon 20/29 mpg (/ highway city) with a degree, the size and price among the most fuel-efficient V-6-powered cars and 2012 Avalon will continue to use regular octane gasoline.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 586
    Looking at the linked website... it appears to have been done by a non-native english speaker. Errors in language abound... and the specs of 16 and even 15 inch wheels are absurd as is the referenced engine size. Aside from those errors, and others, nice looking car. I still prefer the 2007 body overall but change happens and 2012 does look more "sporty" and modern I guess. Hope the quality stays up, I might be tempted, but 78k and no problems on the '07 makes buying a new one a difficult choice. Enjoy your Avalons all, great cars. :)