Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• robin5robin5 Posts: 19
    I ordered my remote start with the car and trust me, WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!!!!! It almost never works and now I find the remotes don't even work for the panic without a few tries. The car simply doesn't recognize its own remotes until I'm right on top of it. MUCH worse than my Highlander. It took over eight months for them to admit there is a problem with the starter. I finally took the car home with a new EID computer for the started, but that wasn't the problem. After two absolutely scathing customer (dis)satisfaction reports to Toyota, they never even called to discuss it. I finally called them and insisted they check again. NOW they admit the remotes aren't recognized by the car. It's been there for almost a week and they still don't know what's wrong. They claim no other dealer has reported this problem. I reminded service that I complained for over eight months before they responded and that was only at my insistance. There could be problems all over the country that the dealers deny. They claim the remotes work every time up to 170 feet. When I make them show me, it doesn't work, BUT THEY STILL CLAIMED THERE WAS NO PROBLEM. Now they admit it, but can't find out what's wrong. Ugggh!
    I ordered my remote start with the car and trust me, WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!!!!! It almost never works and now I find the remotes don't even work for the panic without a few tries. The car simply doesn't recognize its own remotes until I'm right on top of it. MUCH worse than my Highlander. It took over eight months for them to admit there is a problem with the starter. I finally took the car home with a new EID computer for the started, but that wasn't the problem. After two absolutely scathing customer (dis)satisfaction reports to Toyota, they never even called to discuss it. I finally called them and insisted they check again. NOW they admit the remotes aren't recognized by the car. It's been there for almost a week and they still don't know what's wrong. They claim no other dealer has reported this problem. I reminded service that I complained for over eight months before they responded and that was only at my insistance. There could be problems all over the country that the dealers deny. They claim the remotes work every time up to 170 feet. When I make them show me, it doesn't work, BUT THEY STILL CLAIMED THERE WAS NO PROBLEM. Now they admit it, but can't find out what's wrong. Ugggh!
    Re 'low tire' light: CHECK YOUR SPARE. My Highlander and my husband's 4Runner let us know when the spare air pressure is low. My husband's spare is a tire he removed from the car when he replaced the tires and it has a slow leak, so he's refilling it every week or so.
    Have not had a low air light come on in my 2011 Avalon in 16 months of Michigan driving.
    Remotes SUCK, though.
    I'm 5'3", 130 lbs. My husband is 6' and 160 lbs. We drove my 2011 Avalon with air conditioned seats on a 1300 mile trip and there were no lumps for us. Must be an issue for larger drivers.
    I REMOVED MY DRIVER'S SIDE HEADREST AND PUT IT ON BACKWARD because it pushed my head forward so that I couldn't just sit back and relax. I haven't read any mention of those damn headrests!
    Mine didn't have Bridgestones when I bought it, but my snow tires are Bridgestone. I bought dedicated snow tires for my 2011 Avalon Limited and like the way it drives in Michigan snow. The tires are rated for 130 mph (heavy foot here), aren't noisy at all, and handle well wet or dry.

Bridgestone BLIZZAK WS-70 215/55R17 94T. $130 each at Belle Tire Dec. 2010.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    Sorry, but for me, the BLIZZAK's suck!

I have to go home a different way, if we get more the 6" of snow.

I'll agree that they are quiet and comfortable, which is what I THOUGHT I wanted in a tire (I put on 35,000+ miles a year and want quiet and comfortable).

Here in Maine 6", 8" 10" or more snow storms are pretty common, so I'll be doing some research on a better snow tire for me.

Skip
  • nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    Regarless of what that site says, I can't see them producing a 2013 Avalon in Nov. of 2011. Maybe I read the site wrong. I can SEE them bring the 2012 Avalon in Nov. 2012. In fact I think it's already here. I think!

For me, I like the 2011 LTD. I'm not one of these guys who has to have the latest and greatest. When I bought mine Avalon, I knew the car would last many years. As of today I have 12,800 miles on it. The 2011 is truly a remarkable machine. I have no complaints.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I believe you. I'm having a similar issue with a new car I bought, (not a Toyota), the dealer has no idea what to do about it because it hasn't been found before. At least not at that dealership. I've checked the blogs, nobody else is reporting it. So I may have one of the few with the problem. And you may too. That doesn't help either of us, and it's very frustrating. Sometimes, with the electronics in these cars, bugs are very hard to locate and kill. I don't know what to do but keep trying. Eventually, should there be no relief, I'll have to lemon law the car, or sell it. But I don't really blame the manufacturer or dealer. The manufacturer orders parts from 1000 different sub-manufacturers, once in a while, they don't work right. They should care, they should do everything they can to resolve it, but it happens. Sorry for your frustration.....and for mine.
    Has anyone feel any kind of play in their steering wheel? I have some very slight movement. I don't think it's in the front in. I'm also certain it's in the steering wheel column. I have adjusted my steering column several times. 13 thousand miles on car as of today.
  • A while back someone posted that Toyota was working on a new blade arm to eliminate the noisy wipers. Has a solution been found? My dealer claims not to have heard anything yet. Mine drive me crazy in anything other than a heavy rain....they are quiet then....but in a mist or light rain they skip, and make lots of unpleasant noises. Any suggestions?
    I have the same problem, but I think it's just the wiper getting broke in. I did hear of someone replacing the wipper blades and helped. I would have to look back.
  • gramzgramz Posts: 105
    I'm really curious as to what causes the problem.

I'm hoping my last forever as they are the quietest wipers I've ever had. Even it they only make one pass they are extremely quiet.

Makes a guy wonder?
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    On my 2008 Limited, when I squirted the windshield washers they always performed one last swipe across the windshield after pausing for awhile. On my 2011 Limited, after the wipers finish their passes, they simply stop with no final swipe. Is that everyone's experience or are mine not working correctly?
    The manufacturer orders parts from 1000 different sub-manufacturers, once in a while, they don't work right.

FINALLY! A reasonable customer who understands the reality of building a car. My compliments on your intelligence and comprehension of the complexities of modern manufacturing. :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822
    So basicaly... you've impressed yourself?

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Oops!!! I didn't realize that was me! No wonder I agreed..... Sheesh. Can you please delete that message I wrote? And this one? I'm so embarrassed!!! :blush:
  • My 2011 Avalon has exactly what you have described. Exactly. I have about 27K on it. I have not had it looked out yet however.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822
    Oh gosh, no!! It's fun, nvbanker. I thought you did it on purpose... I would've if I'd made such great insights (that may have been ignored by others).

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nceencee Posts: 419
    Ok, so we took a 2 week trip in our 2011 Avalon, and here's what I'd like to say.

- The Nav systems made this trip a delight.
    - The tires were nosier then I'd like them to be
    - The wipers were very squeaky
    - The MPG was fine (we had a lot of stuff in the car / trunk)
    - The radio didn't seem to go up in volume as the car went faster or got loader inside
    - The seats were ok, not great, but ok

On the Nav system, yes it would be nice to add or edit while driving without using voice commands, but being able to use voice commands was just fine. When it went to the split screen while highway driving, so VERY nice.
    It wasn't perfect, and on 2 occasions, told us to take the next right (which would have put us into the farmers field). But once it realized we didn't turn, it got us back on track just fine.

The tire noise was a real big deal for both of us, a real big deal, and a real big pain in the butt. It caused us to stop a bit more often so we could get some piece and quiet.

The tires are Bridgestone Trunazs.

MPG bounced around, but so did the terrain and our speed.

I'd like quieter glass also. When it rained hard, the windshield was very noisy and unless we had the radio on 25 + for volume, we couldn't hear it, and we aren't that old or hard of hearing (yet:))

Skip