Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DVW_1&vin=4T1BK3DB0BU3- 85471

Down there in the "Detailed History" section, it shows location of purchase, service performed in two states, then finally the sale to a dealer via auction. The history on this vehicle looks really odd to me, and almost suspect. Of what I can't say. It just looks fishy to me.

Does anyone understand or have insight to this report?

Short background: On the 29th, my 1996 XLS was totaled after a deer struck the front end. 207,501 miles, 148k by me since 2000. It was supposed to get me through until I completed school in twenty months, but I guess not. So, I'm on the search to replace it. There's no rush, but I'm trying to gather as much information as I can prior to purchase.

Thanks!
  • You might pop over to our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion - people in the biz hang out there and can help you interpret the report info.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    edited February 2012
    I've been to 100's of auctions. Back in the days when we didn't have a Carfax report.

I believe this is a repossessed car you're looking at. Repo's are nothing to be alarmed about and by law have to be brought to the auction or sold by the lender. Most the time banks simply take them to the auction for quick sale. It's fast with no hassles. All NEW Toyota dealers are required to buy so many "program" cars a year at auction and sometimes buy repo's because of the price. I suspect this is NOT a program car because of the low miles. My thoughts are this car was a repo, bought by the dealer then put up for auction. However with that said, I would have an expert check the car out for damage. Damage meaning paintwork, wreck, etc. People THINK all damages are reported on Carfax. This is not always the case. I can give examples of buying cars recently, seeing paintwork and it's not on the Carfax. Your main concern should be bodywork. Anything mechanical can be fixed under warranty, *if it's had no damage*.

This is not a "stay away sign" by the Carfax. It is only a sign to take a MUCH closer look. You could ask, but most dealers would say anything to get you comfortable and I mean tell you literally anything. I was a wholesaler, a person whose specialty was going to auctions and then selling to dealers. Therefore, I never had to retail cars. I'm glad I wasn't a part of that part of the business.

One reason for paint work check. Manufactory warranty stays with the car no matter who owns it. The warranty is only void if it's been in an accident or abused. I was in the car business off and on all my life. I hope this helps,
  • Another take on this, after reading the report -

It was a fleet vehicle owned by a corporation in California. This doesn't mean the car LIVED in California - only that the corporation is in California. It could have been a corporate vehicle issued to a salesperson (which would explain why there were two services in Eastern states). If the employee to which it was issued left the company, or the company discontinued their "car program," they wouldn't bother shipping the vehicle elsewhere. They'd just send it to auction and be done with it.

Either mine or nan48's explanation is plausible. I'd still post in the discussion I linked to - some people there have access to info other than Carfax (auction info) that might be more detailed.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited February 2012
    I would be leary of the vehicle, if it was me buying the car. Look at "how many" dealers have had this vehicle all within such LOW miles. Ask yourself "why hasn't anyone kept it?" Plus the mileage may not be true especially going from dealer to dealer. Each state has different "mileage" keeping ways, some are stricter than others. I don't know how strict each state is: PA, MI, WA... that's a lot of states. Mileage could be "NOT" true.

I agree with kirstrie. I'm in the South. If I had to guess, I would say California would be stricter than GA. or SC, TN, etc. I would like to also note, this is a low mile car so my guess it's a repo. ONLY a guess. You did good by checking the carfax.
    I didn't notice the amount of dealers this car has been to. My wife carefully looked over the carfax and pointed it out AFTER I wrote what I did. For me, I would not buy a car that's been passed around like this car. NO WAY! These are hard times, good deals are out there. In fact maybe my wife will sell her 2011 Avalon. Maybe! Again hope this helps,
  • With the Toyota remote start, the engine will shut off when you press the button on your remote to open the doors. The one I had on my Sequoia had this. Just bought an Avalon and am having a different one fitted, still through the dealer though. Chrysler is different; when you open the doors and turn the key in the ignition the engine will still run. (Or press the stop/start button on the keyless entry and go.) The dealer said my new remote starter will have a separate fob (the Sequoia's was built into the key fob) and he said it will start the car from 800 feet. Only time will tell.
  • Thanks for the input on the carfax report I posted. I'll check out the real-world forums!
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 586
    More thoughts: Given the distance from PA to WA, with a stop in MI... this car has travelled more miles on a car hauler than it has been driven. Why haul it WA to sell it? It isn't worth that much more..... And this dealer has had it since Christmas, only put a few miles on it, look at the odometer. No one DRIVES this car. Why not? Find both original key fobs, the OManual, spare tire (check the tire well for anything unusual) and the original floor mats. They all should be new looking, but original.
    The good news is that the dealer will certify it and you have a full warranty..... No one is scared of it.... sure is odd, though...
  • All questions I've been going over myself!
    This car has been passed around a lot. I would be very careful with that low of miles.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    There's an interesting crimp in the tether for my Lexus as well. I don't think it helps, but I've learned to deal with it.
  • douglas1douglas1 Posts: 130
    Is that dealer in Kansas, I think, still selling the Toyota Extended Warranties for less than other dealers? If could could I get the contact name and telephone number?
    Thanks
  • We don't permit contact info to be posted here (no names, no numbers), but they're welcome to post the dealership name and you can let google do the work from there.

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    The info is right here in this forum. Post #883

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Midwest Toyota in Hutchinson, KS EXT. 565, I'm not allow to post the name or the phone number. I don't want to violate any of the rules in this blog. Hope this helps,
  • Present situation:
    Toyota Sienna LE 2009
    Subaru Forester S 2002
    3 kids, and all are getting bigger
    Tight garage

I would like to replace the Forester.

I am having issues with getting the kids to fit in the back of the Forester, or, if I need to pick up my oldest from high school and her friends. A new car has to solve that problem, or its pointless.

Another way to put it, if the minivan was broken, we could still take a trip from Chicago to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin and not have kids complaining they are uncomfortable. Not to Colorado, but a day trip length. Or say kids to college.

I would like to replace the garage, but it looks like it isn't going to happen. I also question that even if I do replace it, I still would have a problem with larger vehicles, because I have to make a sharp S turn to get in.

I like many cars, for instance, Subaru Outback, Highlander, 4Runner, Camry, RAV4, Venza, Honda Pilot, and now, the Avalon. But some of them are too big. I am now willing to give up AWD.

I like the heated seats (like my Sub), full size spare (like the Sub), heated mirrors (like the Sub), large back seat with a comfortable middle seat. Other things too, folding mirrors, hands free, heater vent towards the back seat. Much to like, not many objections.

Reviews of the Avalon say they are pricey, so I have to ask, if I am willing to purchase an Avalon, are there other cars in that price range, for instance some of the Nissan or Infiniti cars, that might be suitable. Honda Accord? Any opinions?
  • douglas1douglas1 Posts: 130
    Many thanks, made contact with Jerry
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Posts: 106
    I had a 2000 & 2004 Forester, both of which I liked. I know what you mean about the terrible backseat in the Forester, one of the few downsides of that car. I now own a 2005 Avalon Limited and a 2010 Outback, both purchased new. The OB is very nice, much nicer and more refined than my Foresters. However, it can't touch the AVY, which is more powerful, rides better, more comfortable with a limo like backseat. And it is very easy on gas for a big car. It has also been very reliable. And remember, I really like my OB.

BTW, I live near Pittsburgh and have never had a problem in the winter with the Avy, which has about 96,000 miles on it. The redsigned Avy, which is due out in within a year, will be on my short list when I trade in my current AVY.

I've also test driven a Venza. It reminds me of an Avy SUV. But I did not think it was worth thousands more than the OB, which I think the Avy is.
  • fhffhf Posts: 19
    See comment #708 on Pg 36 !