Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Those of you who have a 2011 Avalon, can you tell us where the slot is for loading CD's? I looked at close-up photos and see nothing! Thanks.
  • bergaminibergamini Posts: 45
    You press the CD button on the stereo and then the screen appears and one of the options is "Load", you click on "Load" and the screen flips up so you can load your CD's into it. At least that's how it works with a Nav model but it could be different for a non-Nav.

Also, I've seen a few of the commercials now and I kind of like them. It highlights the comfort, elegance and space of the Avalon which I agree are the main selling points.
  • lcsennlcsenn Posts: 9
    edited April 2010
    Does anyone know why they do not offer laser cruise control on the 2011? It was offered on the 2010.
  • Thanks, Bergamini. Since I am not getting the Nav, I am still wondering how the non-Nav works at loading. Perhaps it's similar. Anyone?
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Does anyone know why they do not offer laser cruise control on the 2011

My best educated guess is that something in the computer controlled throttle was changed and they had to rework the logic of the laser cruise. IMO it will show back up eventually.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

If you look here: http://www.toyota.com/avalon/interior-360.html and on the 2nd image for the base model, it shows the radio and there appears to be a slot above the LCD for loading CD's.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    Ok, someone out there must be able to provide their input on the 2011 Avalon by now?

- Bigger, smaller?
    - Louder - quieter
    - Smoother ride - Harsher ride?
    - Road noise - more, less or the same?
    - Finish - better, worst or about the same?

Skip
  • lcsennlcsenn Posts: 9
    Thanks!

That makes sense.
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Posts: 324
    edited April 2010
    Can anyone share whether or not the 2011 Avalon's GPS will now let the driver add destinations and use the phone without first coming to a stop? Someone must know. Right?
  • Thanks, bergamini, I checked the photo and you are correct. There does appear to be a slot for loading CD's.
  • _bill_wa_bill_wa Posts: 37
    Dealer in my town has 2 Avalons Limited, 2010 and 2011. Both are the same color, Diamond White Pearl and Ivory interior. 2010 has different optional equipment than the 2011, so hard to compare apples to apples.

The reason I bought a 2003 Avalon was because of the "room", easy to enter and back seat room, trunk size was a plus.......car has 109,000 miles, been a awesome set of wheels......lot's of driving from my area to California to visit son, handles wonderfully at all speeds and this car has been over 100+, over all mileage is 25+. Wiper motor quit(but then I live in Washington State) and 1 sensor, oh and the battery had to be replaced. Uses no oil, pleasure to drive.

Back to the 2010 and 2011.....sat in both, NO DIFFERENCE, I'm 6'3", 250 pounds....2011 has a better looking interior, would have bought the 2011 but no navigation.

Have looked at many, Infiniti, Buick, Lexus, Hyundai......for the money, tough to beat the Avalon.
  • twinbtwinb Posts: 140
    Some people save money and get a Garmin or Tom Tom navi unit. The Ltd. you saw seems to be one of the few that don't come with a navi; I think Toy is pushing Ltd cars with the navi unit preinstalled rather than without, at least that's the way it is in the mountain states.
  • ejw1ejw1 Posts: 1
    That's $500 lower than the best price I've gotten so far for a 2011 LTD. Mind telling what options you got?
    Heck, my 2008 cost me $650.00 to register here last month in Maine - Over $900.00 to register when I purchased it new:(

Skip
    Man, after looking at a few 2011's, I'm not sure if I can get past the grill. It just doesn't work for me.

It looks cheap. One big [non-permissible content removed] painted silver grill, that suppose to look classy?

Seems silly, buy hey, you gotta like what you drive to have one - or at least I do.

Skip
    Ha - good point. I'm still not totally sold on the aesthetics (though I do love the taillamps) but I buy it for the experience. My '04 was no beauty until I got behind the wheel and then perfection. But yeah, it looks too much like the Camry.
    I got a Limited with Nav (no color upcharge).
  • iamknottiamknott Posts: 82
    Last week, I took delivery of an ’11 Base Avalon with Synthesis radio and heated seats. As such, it is equipped much the same as my previous ’07 XLS. So far, I love it. The ride is even better than the XLS and that one was very good. The ’11 is also quieter. I noticed that Toyota has dampened the sound of the turn signal indicator to the point that, if the radio is playing softly, I can’t hear the turn signal at all. I will have to guard against being the old coot who drives for miles with his turn signal on. :)

The exterior is silver metallic and the interior is light grey – same as the ‘07. However, the ’11 has a dark charcoal dash top which extends across the top of the doors at window level and the “wood” trim is darker. Coupled with black floor mats on the grey carpet, it is a classier look. The six-speed trans is silky smooth and the shift points in the higher gears are practically undetectable under easy acceleration. The projector headlights are better and the backup camera may be useful.

The only shortcoming, in my opinion, regards the instrumentation. My ’07 had a bright blue display area (where the nav would have gone) which showed outside temp, ave. mpg, range, plus some other info. To find that info on the ’11, one must scroll (via a button on the steering wheel) through the readings which appear in a small window below the tach. The radio and HVAC info are behind smoked plastic in the center stack. It is very difficult to read when sunlight comes through the open moonroof. The turn signal, gear indicators, and certain warning lights are at the bottom of a 5-inch deep slot between the speedo and tach clusters. Visibility should not be too great a problem, unless you are a leaner. All in all, these are small detractions from an otherwise great car.
    Thanks for your comments on the new Avy. Just wondering if there are any features on the LTD. you wish you had on the base model.
  • rotterdam6rotterdam6 Posts: 36
    Thanks for all the info on your new Avalon. I have ordered a LTD, 2011, without Navigation. I am also getting silver with the light gray interior. I will post my impressions after I've had it for a while.
    twinb,

I guess you could say that I want them all, as I don't think there are any deletion options. I have always wanted a Limited because of the classier interior and ventilated seats, but have never been able convince my wife that it was worth the extra $50 per month in the lease payment. Truthfully, some of the options don't mean much to me. I've had power rear sunshades on other cars and they were pretty useless. I like Xenon headlights, but I have read on this forum that they often burn out. The driver's seat extension might be nice, but I've never tried it and I don't have a problem with the regular seats. Rain-sensing wipers? I don't have any trouble telling when it's raining and the day when I get too lazy to flick the wiper lever down is the day somebody should shoot me.
    edited May 2010
    hahahahahaha, good one Knott. I read the same thing about the Xenon, but I liked the idea of a rear shade, thinking it would keep the car cooler when parked in the sun but that's not your experience, eh? There've also been mixed reviews on the ventilated seats. I guess the wood trim steering wheel might give it a 'classier' look, but I like the leather better. The Ltd. push button start does nothing for me, seems like a gimmick. All of those things are not worth an extra three grand to me. Sounds like I'm talking myself into the base (XLS) doesn't it? I'd ordered one last year but cancelled it when the recalls began; might be time now to start contacting dealers for prices. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? Rotterdam, where do you call home?

Thanks, Joe
    Don't knock the auto-sense wipers until you've had them. When it is raining heavily and you are on the interstate, it is nice to be able to count on your wipers to wipe when needed so you can focus on keeping your car on the road. When it is sprinkling out it is so convenient not to have to try and pick the right intermittent level while driving and keep adjusting it because with the auto-sense that is all done for you. It is an amazing option and I was glad that they dropped laser cruise and not the auto-sense wipers. I can't imagine living without them and when I rent cars without them, I find it a complete hassle. Of course I COULD do it but having the car take care of that makes me feel safer and less hassled, which is the way it should be with the payments I make every month.
  • rotterdam6rotterdam6 Posts: 36
    Joe.....haven't gotten my LTD yet, as I just ordered it. It seems it's quicker if you want Nav.......I don't. I am from PA, but spend much of the winter in FL. Thanks for asking.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 589
    Ventilated seats and leather.... Having had three Avalons and dozens of other cars in over 50 years of legal driving, the perf/vent seats are wonderful if you drive in the heat, my opinion. We drive GA, FL and TN interstates all year (retired) and the perf/vent seats really are a lot more comfortable than flat leather. Now, if you have lots of kids (dirt) or pets (punctures) in the car there can be be problems with perf, yes. We don't so it's OK. Will concede that slick leather probably looks better than perf to most people.... get what you like and enjoy it. :)
    twinb,

I live in Central Ohio, the heart of Buckeye Nation. Regarding the rear sunshade, I also thought that it might keep the car (Infiniti) cooler, but that was not the case. Given the Avalon's roof line, the only time the shade would protect the rear passengers would be later in the afternoon when you are headed East and even then they could get almost as much shade from raising the headrests.

Don't forget the "wood" trimmed shift knob on the LTD. I thought about buying one for my last XLS, but the dealer's parts department wanted some outrageous price for it. Any LTD owners out there want to swap their shifter for an almost new light grey leather one? I think I heard on the news tonight that the wood grain ones cause erectile dysfunction, but I'm old enough not to care.
    bergamini,

I apologize for picking on one of your favorite accessories. I wasn't aware that the auto-sense wipers picked the appropriate intermittent speed for you. That could be handy.
    We may have drunk some of the same water once, I'm from Pgh then Phila, Colorado is my retirement place now. I may rethink those vented seats, it gets hot here in the summer Fin. Wood grain and E.D. Knott? hahahaha. Right now I'm enjoying (?) benign prostate hypertrophy. Wonder if the vented seats & automatic wipers would help with that.

So will you guys who bought the new Avys be telling us what your out-the-door price was, less TTL? The Denver dealers act like there've been no recall headaches nor recession woes.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    One of the european marques is using the rain sensing wipers to signal a pre-charge of the brake calipers in order to keep them dried out.
    I am OK with you picking on me ;-)

I wish I didn't love the auto-sense wipers so much. It really was the decider for me in the Avalon vs. Limited debate when I bought my new '11. When I bought my '04 XLS, it was one of the last ones with the old body style and I got a good deal on a new one with the auto-sense. I didn't care too much either way until, after 6 years of having them, I realize that I can barely function in a car without them. I find it a terrible imposition on my time to have to turn the wipers on and adjust the intermittent. I know, crazy, right?