Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Assuming you own a 2011, or 2012. Our transmissions are 6 speed but can be used like a manual.

I had an 06 and loved it. The new model is of interest, I just hope that front end they are showing is tamed a bit. The lower grill as it is in the pictures is a deal-breaker.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• nceencee Posts: 419
    Yeah, I've read a few posts that say it's a 5 passenger sedan, unless you get it with e bench seat:)

It sucks, but it is a wait and see thing we have going on here.

Skip
    No bench seat since 04.... not gonna happen. I don't think there is a single new car made any longer that offers a bench seat in the front.

The DTS/Lucerne and the Panthers were the last and they are gone now.

• nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    edited June 2012
    The Grill, well, it will take me some time to get use to. Plus the car being more stream line like a fast back. That's another big change. Remember the old 73 Mustanes fastback. I hope you can see out of a 2013 Avalon better than you could see out of the old Mustanes.

I have 18 thousand miles on my Avalon and hope I can get 20 thousand for another Free oil change. My MPG seemed to dropped some lately. I checked the air in my tires and the air pressure is fine. So I'm not sure why the MPG has dropped. I still get excellent gas mileage though. I hope there not putting something extra in the gas. I guess if you're going to drive nows the time. We're paying about $3.09 here in Southern Ga. and if you drive to SC ( about 10 miles away) you'll can but gas there for around $2.98 per gallon.

I really like my 2011 Avalon. I've only had the one problem and that's the clicking noise in the steering column. It's still there and I will tell the dealer next visit. The steering wheel seems loose. NOTHING wrong with the front end.
    How long do they give the free oil changes? I think it was 2 years or 36 thousand miles. Right?
  • robsisrobsis Posts: 160
    Free oil changes was 2 years, 25K....just got my last one at 24970 miles. :cry:

I wish you luck in getting that steering column replaced. Very happy with how it improved mine! :shades:
  • myprobmyprob Posts: 1
    Thank you for your post! My 2011 Avalon had noisy wipers from day one. It took 3 new pairs of replacement blades and still the noise was horrible. After 30,000 miles, 1 year and 8 months, I complained at my dealership again and was told that they couldn't just "throw parts" at it. I showed the service man a copy of your post and he finally agreed to order the wiper arms. It might have helped that there were customers behind me hearing my story. A week later the arms and new blades were installed and the rainy-day driving is now enjoyable. It shouldn't have taken that long to fix the problem. Thanks again for posting your experience.
    :( And after having done it to my car, they still squeak:(

Now, I wish I had marked my old arms, because they said the replaced them, but the fact that it still squeaks, makes me wonder?

The good news is it only squeaks at the end of each movement. That being when the blades stop on top and and the bottom. They are quiet in the middle of the windshield.

I'm just hoping it doesn't rain much till I get my new 2013 Avalon:)

Skip
  • stormin800stormin800 Posts: 39
    I have now had my 2011 for about 6 months. With the summer heat, I have used the cooling seats option on a number of occasions. I have noticed that they do not cool nearly as fast or as well as my 06 limited did. I also have noticed that the seats do not seem quite as comfortable. I wrote this off to the fact that the car is new and the 06 was well worn in. Has any else noticed these issues with the 2011 versus an older gen 3 avalon. I am especially interested in thoughts regarding the cooling feature. Does anyone know if toyota changed the system? The heated seat feature works great as it did in the 06.
    I can't say one way or the other, but my 2011 seems just fine, great no, but then again, I'm not sure how much colder I would like the seats to get.

I will say after awhile they don't seem to cold at all, but once I get up and sit down again, it's back to "Cool".

As for comfort, it's a long on going debate / discussion. I personal feel the seats may not cool as well, and they are likely to be a bit more uncomfortable then other years, as Toyota (and others), work to make the cars lighter and more fuel efficient.

Bigger, heavier more comfortable seats needed a bigger, stronger system to cool the seats. So smaller, lighter seats allowed for a smaller fan?

I believe that these are some of the areas that folks complaints may have made their way to Toyota, as some of what I've read about the 2013 leads me to believe these will be better on the 2013 É here's hoping.

Skip

PS I do enjoy my 2011 and folks stop me and say it's a nice looking car - pretty regularly:)
  • I just traded in my 2009 Hyundai Sonata (loved it) for a 2011 Toyota Avalon (w/ 8000 miles on it) due to needing more leg room in back seat. I compared the trip odometer reading from home to work and the Avalon reading was off by 2 miles (less). That seems quite significant. That will affect the average MPG that I am seeing also. Other people have this same issue?
  • gramzgramz Posts: 102
    I just completed a trip and my odometer showed 480 miles and my gps showed 492. I then went online to see the thoughts of others and found a lot of discussion back and forth on which one was right.

It had always been my thoughts that the gps was correct but after doing some reading I'm not so sure the odometer isn't more apt to be correct. I have checked the odometer against mile posts and it looks to be dead on.

Isn't the Avalon great for comfort, both front and back.
  • I have read postings from other Avalon owners saying that the trip odometer is off. They tested it by getting on interstate and going past mile markers etc. I test drove other cars w/ lots of leg room in backseat like the Buick Lacrosse but when I drove the Avalon, that was it. I said, Sign and Drive. I was a Hyundai lover, and still am but they didn't have a car that has this much leg room in back seat.
    edited July 2012
    I've been telling others in this blog that my tripometer is off by two miles. In all honestly I'm not sure what is off. What I do know, if my car says I'm getting 29.9 MPG then WITH MY FIGURES, I come out to about 2 mpg less about 27.9 It does vary from station to station but that seems to be about right.

So when I write down my MPG and I do every fill up. I write down the MPG my car computer says then I write down my MPG figured on a calculator. I've always kept records like this on all my cars/trucks.

Most people in her say that my figures is off, NOT the computer on the car. I'm sticking to my guns and say the car calculations on the car is off.

Again it varies on how much, usually about 2 mpg. Hope this helps!

I sat in the back seat of my Avalon for the first time. I mean I have sat back there but I never rode in it till now. I am really surprised on how roomy the back seat is. It's remarable on the amount of room. NOW, I know what others have been telling me is true. Wow! I just fell in love all over again. I have 19,000 on my LTD Avalon.
    The Avalon has had odometer error since the redesign in 05. My 06 was off and we all (here on the forum) had just about the same error (3-4% low).

You did good buying a 2011 with such low miles. Was the car a demo? I'm curious on how much you paid. I only ask because it will give me some idea on what my car is worth these days.

I can't compare the 2011 Avalon with any other year Avalon because it's the first one I ever owned. I have owned a lot of high end cars though and this is one of the best. The MPG, the roomy interior, the power, it's just unbelievable workmanship.

I really have no complaints. I've only had one problem. The steering column has some sort of poping. The dealer in SC said they would fix it, IF I could point out the problem. It's a problem that only happens sometimes. So it's hard to pin point.

Good luck with your new Avalon and welcome to this blog. :surprise:
    The steering column has some sort of poping

A 2011 is doing this? I thought this was limited to the 05s and 06s. Toyota replaced mine no questions asked when I brought to the service manager's attention.

It was a fairly common problem with the Avalon.

Also here is a note for all you 2011/2012 Avalon owners. If you are considering selling/trading in your cars do it now. National rental car just made a HUGE purchase of the last 2012 Avalon Limiteds for use in their fleet. In a year or so when they hit the market, the used car values for the Avalon will drop.

Avalons at National

I would guess this will depend on how many they purchased and where in the country you live.

Yes National has a place in damn near every state, but where it being the larger airports, cities away from the airports shouldn't be hurt by this.

National will likely sell them piece meal, so that should mean, fewer hit the market all at once.

National likely has auctions where and when they sell cars, which means, some larger dealer gets a bunch, and well, if said dealer is in Texas, then folks in Vermont don't have to worry to much.

Now the good news is, that many more folks will get to drive an Avalon and that should be good for Toyota.

I want to know why they are only renting until August, or is it that they will be the only ones to have Avalons until then?

Skip
    A poster in another thread here on Edmunds, said he read 5000 units. That is alot!

I took the August 2012 as the "exclusive" time frame. In others words if some other rental company wants to buy Avalons to rent them, they will be able to.

• I don't know if you were referring to the used 2011 Avalon I bought with a bit over 8000 miles on it or not but the one and only owner was the Porsche Dealership in Greenville SC. I guess they used it for a loaner car for people getting service. I was initially looking at a new 2011 but my husband suggested looking at what they had used. They had 2 used. Mine and another 2011 with 12000 miles (another dealer owned one). They were selling them for the same price, $28,991. I noticed they dropped the price of the other one 2 weeks after I got mine. Made me mad but it is what it is.
    I am thoroughly enjoying it. Beautiful roomy car.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    They'll drop anyway, as the 2013 will be new, and kill the value of the old one, so to speak.