Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• yes.keep updates coming.im thinking of buying a 2013 es 350 or a 2013 limited
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I thought you owned a 2011.

Nope, that wasn't me, I have a Lexus, but am a fan of the Avalon - despite it's differences in engineering, it's a great car for us Business People who need such a roomy comfortable sedan. This was the first 12 I have tried out, liked it a lot. Will be looking for a 13 to try out.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    If you like the 2012 for it's roominess - will NOT like the 2013. It is a Great car, but it is smaller, and noticeably I might add:(

Skip
  • I have to agree with Skip. The 2013 is noticeably less roomy than the 2012.....and that unsightly front end! Very happy to have my 2012 in Sizzling Crimson Mica. Love the color!
  • neil1neil1 Posts: 17
    The 2013 Avi kind of reminds me of what Acura did a few years ago when they went through a redesign. Acura lovers wrote about the new Acura front end Falling From an Ugly Tree and Hitting Every Branch on the Way Down! People called it the "beak" and the "beer can opener" grill. What the heck were the Avi designers thinking??
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    What the heck were the Avi designers thinking??

The same thing as the new Ford Fusion designers. UGH, I hope this isn't a trend.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    edited December 2012
    My first impression on the 2013' front end was , "What in the world was Toyota engineers thinking"? My biggest complaint probably would be less room on the inside. (keep in mind I have not driven a 2013 model) EVERYONE who sits in the back seat of 2011 LOVES it. I have sat back there one time and I have to say, it's very roomy. For now, I'll stick to my 2011 Avalon. I have only 22 thousand on my car, and it mostly just sits in the garage. I bought the extended 8 year warranty (for peace of mind) so I should be ok for many years to come. If anyone buys a hybrid, I'll be curious to what they have to say.

I can understand changing the style (to appeal to younger buyers or different buyers) but to me it's like changing the coke formula. Remember years ago, coke had an excellent formula and then changed it for no reason. WHY change something if it's working?
  • gramzgramz Posts: 105
    Why change something that's working?

Reminds me of what Facebook just did. The had 668,872 people voting, and of those, 589,141 said they were opposed to the new documents. Guess what, they went ahead and ignored the voters.

I think it just like the Coke fiasco also. In the end Coke went back to their original product. Hope Toyota does.

The only reason I bought the Avy was the room in back as we travel with another couple. I tried a number of different cars and climbed in the back see of all of them. Some of them I eliminated without trying the front seat so the room is very important for me.
    I say stick with your 2011, in hindsight I should have.

YES I love my 2013, but the 2011 was just different, and a little bit bigger)

Oh, for those interested in some folks thoughts on the Hybrid and why they did or would buy it, go here: (Nice active Avalon site)

- http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/311-4th-generation-2013/

Skip
    I understand if you have to change a car, then by all means do it. I don't drive much and my present 2011 has plenty of life left in it. Lets hope I don't hit a deer or something along that line.

Personally I don't think Toyota will go back to having a big back seat. MPG seems more important these days. Even though gas seems to be going down (for now).

The front end might change, but that's cosmetic, nothing more.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Personally I don't think Toyota will go back to having a big back seat.

REALLY hope you're wrong! If you're not, why get the Avalon over the Camry? That will take the Avalon off my list, I drive clients almost every day in my Lexus LS, I need the back seat room. :mad:
  • neil1neil1 Posts: 17
    Anybody know how the maint req'd light is programmed to come on? For example is it at 5K, 10K, 15K etc? Or is is automatically 5K after the last oil change was performed and light reset? Or something else?
    Automatic 5,000 after oil change and a reset É I believe.

Skip
  • gramzgramz Posts: 105
    I have 45,000 miles on mine and it has come on each time somewhere short of 5,000 miles. It only stays on for a short time then it goes off. I went past the 5,000 miles once and when that happened it stayed on until service and they reset it.
    My 06 was 5K miles.

I only liked that color in the bright sunshine (not very much here in Maine), any other time it looked black. Hell at least half of the people I know, thought I had a Black Avalon (which I did 2 years ago).

As for the room in the back seats É that doesn't seem as small in comparison to the front. Most folks who have ridden in the back say it's just as roomy as my 2011. Now I'm not sure that could be said if 3 people were out back.

Oh let's see, it sucks in the snow, but then again, most cars do with summer tires on them:) Well it doesn't suck, but it's not great.

I think the drivers seat is more comfortable then my 2011, not much, but enough that I can tell.

The finish seems to be very nice. I've washed it a dozen times or so, and it washes real easy, and dirt and snow washes off real nice. It seems to be a much higher gloss then my 2011.

Not a single person has said anything bad about the car. I have had several people ask if they could sit in it, and walk around it, and all of said in some way, shape or form "Wow, Nice Car" "Sure wish it was mine" or "Damn I'll bet your one happy in camper with this car" É

It's at least as quiet if not just a little bit quieter.

I'm not sue I like the window buttons. My 2011, you could hit real quick, and the window would go up / down, and you could hit the switch again in mid stream, and the window would go up / down. With these, you need to hit and hold the button albeit for just a second or so, but still not as easy / quick as the 2011.

My head unit looks like it is bad:( I've tried 3 other cell phones, and they all do the same thing. I have an appointment at the dealer for them to check it out. Hopefully it's just a setting I'm over looking.

I'm still going to be interested to see what if anything they change next year. I think they need to decide if it's a Luxury Car / Sports Car (hardy) or a Sports Car/ Luxury Car.

I for one, have owned Avalon's because they were a Luxury Car. I was fine with the size (heck I would have been fine if it were a bit bigger:)

I know it's not in this market, but you don't see many luxurious;

- Corvettes
    - Cameros
    - Mustangs
    - Buick Regals
    - Genesis
    - Infinity G35, G37

You get the picture.

Make a sports car, for the sports fan É

Make a luxury car for those who understand, the size, comfort, LUXURY, and are ok with the poor fuel economy. I understand I Bought a Luxury car and know that it's MPG's won't be as good as a ECONOMY car É I'm ok with that.

Oh, again, the front with a front plate is a NON issue:)

Skip
    Does anyone know how to reset the button at the 5000 mark? Is it easy? I'm sure I will have my car service at the dealer but just in case I don't.

Thanks Skip for the updates on your new Avalon.

22 thousand and still counting, Fixing to take another Birmingham trip, that's about 500 miles one way. So I'll be putting some miles on the old car.

Filled up yesterday, got 25.6 mpg in city/hwy driving. Two people, no luggage. I always keep my air pressure up to par.

2011 LTD,
    Its been a few years, but IIRC you hold down the trip meter button while turning on the ignition until the light shuts off. The procedure is in the manual.

• geo123geo123 Posts: 33
    Skip,

Thanks, for the updates on your new 2013. I enjoy reading them. You may have stated but, what color interior did you get and how do you compare to your 2011? I have only seen pictures of the interior and would appreciate you comments.

Thanks,

George
  • What tires came with the car?????? Hope the 2013 Avalon was not supplied with the Bridgestone tires?????? I do like the change to 18" tires.