Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• lntlnt Posts: 188
    I am kind of waiting to see if a Cassis Pearl(Bergundy) becomes available. That is what color mine is and I love that color! Next car I get will probably be last car I ever buy, that's the main reason I wanted a newer year model and lower miles. Not that I am THAT old, but when I stop working, I won't have the money to make payments and too stingy to take the money out of savings. Might need it in case of emergency. lol
  • rotterdam6rotterdam6 Posts: 36
    You will enjoy the 2011. I love my 2012. BTW, the color you like is called Sizzling Crimson Mica, which is the burgundy.
  • stormin800stormin800 Posts: 39
    Int,

I traded my 06 Limited last year for a new 2011 Limited leftover. I traded for all the reasons you have stated. My 06 had 86,000 miles. I just retired, so I wanted my retirement car. Well, it has been a year now and I like everything about the 2011 EXCEPT the seats are NOT as comfortable as my broken in 06.
    It is nice to have no maintenance costs and everything is under warranty as the 06 was starting to need replacing and repairs. Even though I saved 6K off the 40K sticker of the 2011, I could have made a lot of repairs on the 06 for the 10K I have lost in depreciation. Unfortunately, I am already looking at other alternatives with more comfortable seats. I did NOT like the seats in the 2013 any better than my 2011,so I am considering leaving Toyota after 3 Avalons.
    Anyway, if you do go for a lower mileage 2011, you should be able to get a used one all day for 25-28K depending on mileage and condition. Otherwise, keep your 05 as 59,000 miles is still low mileage.

good luck
  • FWIW, I sold my 2000 XLS last year with around 130,000 miles and bought a low-mileage (34,000) ES330 from an old lady who could no longer drive. In retrospect, I would have been better off with either a 2011 or 2012 Avalon or at least an ES350. There's nothing wrong with the ES330, but the 3.5 litre engine is a lot more powerful than the 3.3, and the newer transmissions are better too. I'm "only" 6'2" (I notice some on the list are a lot taller), but the ES seemed cramped even after the older Avalon. (A few things were better: leather quality, real wood vs. plastic, better stereo system, self-adusting headlights, more accurate gauges -- and did I mention handling?). So my housekeeper is getting a good deal on it. She can drive a Lexus, and my clients don't have to see me in one. ;-)
    I bought a RAV4 V6 Sport with under 7,000 miles. Definitely a step down in the luxury department, but it's comfortable and super-fast, plus I can fit some larger items in the back in spite of the right-hinged rear door.
    If I can convince my wife to give up her TSX, I'll still be in the market for a 2011 or 2012 Avalon, otherwise the next car will probably be an Accord hybrid.
    Good luck to all you retirees! I'm old enough to retire but plan to work less and less forever and buy many more cars before my time is up.
  • nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    I knew some of the viewers said the seats was as comfortable. Glad to see your post. Thanks!
    I went and looked at the 20011 black Avalon LTD. It only had 18,000 miles on it and was loaded. My only problem was the black dash. It had the beige interior, but the wood trim (plastic) was a reddish colored wood and the dash and top of the doors was black. I just didn't think I could take those combinations. He said all of them had black dashes. Is that true? Is it true of the 2012's also? To me it just didn't all go together. Plus they only wanted to give me 11K for mine, so I said "No, Thanks." and left when I finally got my keys back. I drove a 2013 Honda Accord. I liked it! Anyway, guess I'll just keep mine.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 586
    I drove a 2013 Honda Accord. I liked it! Anyway, guess I'll just keep mine.

Long ago post indicated the new Honda Accord is about the same size as to interior volume and trunk space as the new 2013 Avalon... and it costs 30k with Nav, some 9k below the Limited. Not as sharp on the outside as an Avy, I agree. And the interior storage space is a little less. But if those are not critical, Honda is now a tough competitor for the Avalon.
  • tome1tome1 Posts: 10
    I recently parked my 2011 Avalon next to a 2013 Avalon and was surprised by the size change. I checked a 2013 out in showroom and it looks to me like there's a loss of trunk space and interior space. If your a first time Avalon owner, this wouldn't be as noticeable, however, if you have owned Avalons, as I have (2005 & 11), it's quite noticeable. Both of these areas, with respect to space, are important to me and are two of the primary reasons I started buying Avalons. Am not happy with changes in the 2013 Avalon!
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    One of several reasons I trade my 2013 in for a 2012.

- Trunk opening is smaller (I deliver a lot of the car & travel a lot / Luggage)
    - Back Seat Space
    - NO reclining Back Seats
    - Width of inside (if not smaller, sure seems like it is)

And some of these things make for a less comfortable ride

- Tech Package - Great!
    - Quieter Wipers - Great!
    - Over-all looks of the car - Great!

Skip
  • gramzgramz Posts: 102
    Like someone once said "If I had wanted a Camry, I would have bought a
    Camry"

Your reasons are the main reasons I bought an Avalon to start with. I have 50K on it now and guess I'm stuck with it for a few years as I don't know what I could replace it with. I had planned on trading this year, but I don't want to give up the space.
  • nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    I owned a wholesale car business for years. I am NOT knocking Honda's when I say this. They have excellent resale value and so do the Toyota's.

However if you was to compare road noise, which is very importan to me, then by far the Avalon wins.

Hope this helps,
  • jwillinjwillin Posts: 16
    I have a 2011 Avalon and went to the dealership to get the car serviced and noticed the 2013 on the showroom floor. I was with one of the guys in service when I saw the car and told him how small it looked. I entered the car and immediately could see that it was smaller than the 2011. The service manager tried to tell me that it was the same size as previous models. I told him that car is small. It reminds me of an Infiniti or Maxima where there is no room in the back and the front is also a bit tighter than previous models.

It is unbelievable. I like my Avalon, but in the future if I trade what else is out there, but a big gas guzzler?
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 586
    Absolutely right on the noise factor... we have had 7 Hondas and 3 Avalons in our extended family in the last 15 years. If noise is a concern, Avalon wins every time and these were all v6 "top of the line" Hondas. Both are very dependable makes with excellent trade-in value if kept up properly. Avalon also wins the ride factor, nice and soft, if you want that.

The 2013 Avalon is truly different in many ways. The inside IS much smaller than prior generations, about 5% actually, you can feel it. They are selling well so maybe the current market wants that (I don't, but...). Time will tell.
    Well, Toyota of Plano got in a 2011 Blizzard Pearl Limited Avalon Friday. I went to see it today. It was sold by that dealership, serviced by them and the couple traded it in on a 2013. I checked the carfax on it. It had 23,000 on it- a little more than the black one I looked at in Dennison, but I got a better deal on this one, I think. Maybe not. Anyway, I didn't like the salesman at Dennison. This salesman was not pushy and the finance guy was not pushy. I gave them $17,500 difference plus my car -05 LTD w/almost 60,000 miles. That included tax, license, etc. I did get a 96 month, 100K warranty that even includes door dings/ dents, lost or damaged key fobs. It is a Toyota extra care. He wrote down what my payments would be with gap, with warranty and with none of that stuff. My payments were going to be $347 per mo. without any of it, and with the warranty, they are going to be $333. I'm not sure how he did that. He said he knocked some more off the car or something. Anyway, I got 1.49 per cent financing. Hope I made the right decision! My granddaughter is mad at me because she loved my burgundy color. I did too! But this one will be easier to keep clean and wax! Somebody out there is going to get an awfully good car when they buy mine!!
  • gramzgramz Posts: 102
    I tried out both the Avalon and the Accord and like you said road noise was a lot worse in the Accord.
  • rotterdam6rotterdam6 Posts: 36
    As you say, the Avalon is much quieter than Accord. Also, after owning 3 Accords I discovered the A/C sytems are not as reliable as Avalon's System. I had major issues with each of my Accords A/C systems. Also they never cooled as well.
  • carlupicarlupi Posts: 52
    My family has owned several Toyotas and Hondas over the past 30 years. Consistently, the Hondas have been excellent mechanically and a great value, but they all have had pronounced road noise issues. I am puzzled that Honda has not successfully addressed this problem despite being criticized about it over the years.
    I made the jump and bought a blizzard pearl 2011 Avalon LTD. Already miss my 05!! The salesman came over and showed me how to operate everything. Well, I guess I have short term memory loss because I can't operate the CD player. I finally got CD's loaded, but now can't figure how to go from one disc to the next. Is there not a way to skip from CD #1 to CD#3, etc. if you want to or do you just have to wait until the whole CD plays and goes to the next one! On my other car, I just hit the disc button and chose which one I wanted to listen to. Yes, I read the manual, but it isn't very clear. HELP! I am ready to see if they will trade back with me! It isn't as clean as mine was either, even though it is 8 years newer! Seat belts are dirty. I didn't notice it at the dealer ship. Didn't even think to look at seat belts straps! How do you clean those?? Oh, and another thing - the display of songs etc. stays on a little while then goes blank. Is that normal. Still hear the music, but screen is blank! I knew I shouldn't have bought one with all this high tech stuff! All three of my sons warned me, too.
    I guess I'm not as tech illiterate as I thought. I am learning by trial and error. By the way if you trade a car with navigation in, remember to delete everything in the nav system!! I went back to the dealer in Plano today and hit the home button to take me home. When it started giving me directions, I thought, "WOW, never gone this way to Denton before." I got totally lost!! FInally pulled over into a parking lot and checked my destination. It was evidently taking me to the previous owner's house!! So, I typed in my address and it took me right home! I then proceeded to read the Nav. book and deleted all of their previous addresses!! So - be sure to delete everything if you trade your car in!! I was even able to use the hands free Bluetooth to make a call just by saying the name of person I was calling. I am very proud of myself! Still miss the color of my old car, though. I traded the floor mats in this 2011 for the mats that were in my "05". My 8 year old floor mats were in much better condition than the ones in my "new" car- a two year old car!