Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• yankeryanker Posts: 156
    We purchased one of the last 2010's in upstate New York and drove it Florida and then to Boston Tomorow we go to NYC Car is nearly perfect The Navigation system is great and controls are better than the 2000 Avalon we had before. Gas mileage when we checked read about 31.6 on the road 28 in City near Orlando Ours is black snd very classy
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Posts: 324
    Can you enter a destination in the new 2010 Avalon's Nav system while the vehicle is moving? Can you use the BT features of the phone suching as dialing a number while in motion?
  • energizer1energizer1 Posts: 4
    Had a question for this group. I just got my 2011 Avalon Limited in Classic silver with gray interior. It has a darkisk gray top to the dash (extending to the doors) and light gray carpet, seats and lower dash. My carpeted mats are also black (the contrast looks good to me). I did test drive another 2011 Avalon Limited at another dealer about a month ago (Classic silver with gray leather interior also) but it had matching gray carpet floor mats and I could have sworn that the dash was all light gray (instead of the top being dark). Was there an internal change at the plant recently? Any info appreciated (I really like my Avalon BTW).
  • twinbtwinb Posts: 140
    Sorry I can't answer your questions. Does your Ltd have the Nav system? Every one I've seen on the net & in person (2 of them) have the Nav; seems the factory is forcing customers to swallow the extra $1500 for it. I've been looking for a silver on gray without nav for two months here in the Rocky Mountains. Where do you live? What kind of deal did you get? Thanks. Joe.
    Hello twinb,

Yes my Avalon does have NAV but I have seen others on the lot without it. However, I think you are correct in that most of the limiteds have NAV and the sedans do not (for the most part). I live on the east coast (near New Jersey) and I got the NAV, carpeted floor mats, and the glass brakage sensor for $34,100 (not including taxes or tags). Thanks.
    Geez, that's near the price ($34,400) I've gotten here from 4 dealers, but without NAV. I went thru Costco & AAA and had similar quotes. I'll have to bargain harder before I sign on the bottom line. Thanks.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    That seems like a really good priced, base on what I'm seeing around here.

- Berlin City Group - $37,414
    - Ira Toyota - $38,644.00
    - Prime Auto - $38,951.00
    - ***The bargain of the group - Lee Auto - $35,622.00 (No Nav?)
    - Irwin Toyota - $37.685.00
    - Hurlbert Toyota - Call for pricing?
    - Rockingham Toyota - $36,501.00, $37,951.00 & $38,171.00

And most aren't willing to talk turkey. The price is the price:(

Skip
    Skip,

I experienced the same thing about the price until I decided to look at dealerships in nearby states. That is when I found better deals further away and the local dealers started lowering their "best price". Many of the dealers wanted you to put down a deposit to show that you were serious about buying their car before they gave you the lower price. That did not bother me because it was fully refundable if I changed my mind. I was also an "easy" customer because I did not have a trade-in and I had my own financing at a much lower rate than what they were offerring. In the end, I found a dealer that offered the car that I wanted at the price I was willing to pay. It was a 3+ hour drive from my house but the family made a day out of it and we saved quite a bit.
  • rotterdam6rotterdam6 Posts: 36
    I am still waiting for delivery of my 2011 LTD, silver, with light gray leather, without nav.
    The dealer has no Avalons on the lot and hasn't for 2 weeks. He has plenty of all other models. Had 7 new Siennas and countless new Camrys. I will continue to be patient for a while....but....
    Rotter, did you order the LTD in FL or PA? I'm about to order one here in Colo, there are 2 in the neighboring states without nav, supposedly. My internet prices have ranged from 34,700 to 33,600 with nothing but carpet mats. Wondering what kind of a deal you made. Joe
  • rotterdam6rotterdam6 Posts: 36
    I ordered mine in PA. Got the LTD without nav and with mats....35,200 out the door.
    Thanks for the info.
  • bob819bob819 Posts: 3
    Just picked up my 2011 Avalon and when I got home I noticed there are no extensions on either sun visor. Brochure says sun visor extensions are standard on both trim lines.

Anyone else missing extensions on their sun visors?
  • bob819bob819 Posts: 3
    Just figured it out. When you move the visor to the window position, you can then pull the visor further towards the rear of the car along the visor arm - the visor doesn't extend - it moves. Incorrect description by Toyota IMO.
    My 2000 Avalan had inserts in the visor that pulled out and made the visor wider - a true defintion of extended visors.
    Oh well...at least I know it's not missing
  • algeealgee Posts: 78
    Yes by voice only. I have used it, It accepts, by voice, name and address valuses.

Love my new 2011 Ltd Avalon, Black with Black Bordeaux interior. (My little Limo :-)

That new Nav/audio system is a tremendous improvement over my 2006. Ltd

The tires are Bridgestone Turanzas and somewhat noisy on cement roads.

I do miss the "Laser Cruise Control" was nice after you get used to its quirks.

Getting about 20 Mpg combo and 28 Highway

New 6 speed tranny seems to shift smoother 2006 was a 5 speed and a little rougher shifting.

Yes, they fixed the MPG indicator so you can zero it at any time.

Got the windows tinted after purchase with the ceramic style instead of metallic type, The ceramic type don't look blue when the sun shines on them when looking from outside. Also appear a little darker than the metallic even thought they do test at the state required refraction. SC is 29 but the darkness appears to the eye as 30.

Seats feel about same as those in 2006.
    Looking to take one for a test ride today. Sort-of hoping it's a lot nicer, smoother, quieter then my 2008 Touring Edition.

Sort-of, because I'm not sure I want to trade-in or sell my 2008 - only because I don't want to see something next year, that I REALLY want:)

Sort-of because I'm not sure if I want the new Avalon or a used LS 460 (if I can find one at a great price and low enough miles.

I've had the '08 for 15 months or and have 43,000 miles on it, so mileage wise it's getting to the point it may not have the value I'd like much longer.

Oh well, I'll do the test ride and then sort-of decide.

Skip
  • adholtmanadholtman Posts: 21
    I have just taken delivery of an Avalon Limited...terrific car! No quibbles and/or complaints.

The Dealer says that it now comes with synthetic oil as a factory fill but I don't see anything in writing that says that...anyone know?
  • adholtmanadholtman Posts: 21
    RE; In my previous post regarding my recent purchase of an Avalon Ltd; I should have indicated it is a new 2011 model; Thanks!
    Hi Algee. I've seen new Avys with Turanzas & others with the Michelin MXV4. I talked to a guy in my tire dealership who said for the ride the MXV4 gets the nod. Commentators on the forums I visit have good & bad views on both brands. That's good to know about the window film, I didn't even know there were different types. Did you get that done at the dealer?
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    If they are still using the Turanza EL 400 try and find one with the Michelins. I had those on my 06 and they wore out in 27K and got progressively noisier as they wore.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Heres some more info on the Avalon Ltd I just bought:

Backup camera is nice to have but cannot be used to judge close distance to a car behind you. You would need the backup sensors to do that. They give an audible alarm at about 3 ft and 1 ft distances.

I got the tint done after market for $270 vs dealer $399 price. Took about 2 hrs.

Sun shade operates a little different than the one on the 2006. The shade goes down when you go into reverse and only comes back up after you go forward at a speed of at least 7-10 mph.

2006 had engine noise like valves tapping at startup and a little quieter as time went on- 2011 is quiet at start.

Bluetooth phone system seems to work very well -connets without problems.

Love the USB audio input. I have an 8gb flash drive connected with mp3 and wma files and in different folders. All works - no problems. Ipod Touch also connects via blue tooth or usb or ear phone out put - again no problems

Be patient with nav voice input but it does work. Nav update is a little slower than the old one on the 2006.

Wish it had a 110 volt AC input but no it doesn't.
    Thats it for now LOVE THE CAR - So far
    So, can the shade be put up while you are driving, so as to keep the passengers more comfortable, or is it just for going in reverse - which I'll admit, seems silly, but it can't hurt to ask.

Skip
    The sun shade can be up all theime while going forward. It closes when backing up and then goes back up (unless you shut it off) when you start going forward again above a forward speed of about 7 mph
  • fhimesfhimes Posts: 17
    I just purchased a 2011 Avalon Limited from a Toyota dealer in Houston TX who quoted me $1317 to purchase the Toyota Extra Care Platinum 7 years 75000 miles with $0 deductible warranty.. By sheer luck I noticed on these forums everyone was saying the place to buy it is at the Midwest Toyota dealership in Hutchinson Kansas. I confirmed with the Toyota corp people that it is honored by any Toyota dealer anywhere in the US and Canada as long as you buy it from any Toyota dealer. It is a Toyota warranty and not a 3rd party and you are not required to purchase it from your selling dealer. . I contacted Midwest Toyota and spoke with Jerry Johnson at 620-664-8844. He quoted me $654 for the same identical package that my dealer in Houston wanted $1310, What a savings .Jerry is very helpful and easy to work with. I purchased the package from him and it only took a few minutes on the phone. I have never purchased an extended warranty before but decided it would be wise due to all the high tech on the Avalon that would be very expensive to repair.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    The sunshade on my Genesis works exactly the same way. I don't use it that much, it doesn't seem
    to do much.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

I'm reading about getting a purchase agreement and having a sales manager sign it before plunking down any money on the '11 Ltd I want to buy. The form has the car and the exact details listed on the form so that if something goes awry, this acts as a legal protective document. Have any of you buyers had a purchase, or buyer's, agreement completed before you bought? Thanks.
  • iamknottiamknott Posts: 82
    twinb,

That's an interesting question. I am assuming that the reason you are interested in such a document is that you are negotiating with an out-of-town dealer, because if it were a local dealer, then you must have some serious doubts about the dealer's trustworthiness and I'd say you'd be better off avoiding him altogether. Anyway, the closest I've come to that situation was in negotiating via email with a dealer in another city. Their internet sales guy sent me an "offering form" which cited the car's VIN number, all its options, and the sales price plus fees. As there were no signatures or security algorithms involved, I doubt that it would have held up in court if something went wrong. I ended up buying from a local dealer who did not have the exact car I wanted in inventory, so I agreed to his request for a $500 deposit. I thought that was reasonable, as he had to incur some costs in acquiring the car from a dealer in another city.

If you are working with a dealer in another state, I can understand your reluctance to pay significant money before actually seeing the car, but I wonder whether a formal sales/purchase agreement is economically practical. To be sure that the agreement was legally correct and enforceable in the dealer's state, you would need to have it reviewed by a qualified lawyer and that wouldn't be cheap (unless your brother-in-law is an attorney and owes you a favor).

Maybe you could describe your situation in more detail so that we could think about alternatives

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,298
    edited June 2010
    twinb wrote: I'm reading about getting a purchase agreement and having a sales manager sign it before plunking down any money on the '11 Ltd I want to buy. The form has the car and the exact details listed on the form so that if something goes awry, this acts as a legal protective document.

Twinb,
    That was such a curious question that it prompted me to go back and check the P&S on my last three automoblies purchases (different dealers and makes but all purchased in Massachusetts). The language on the motor vehicle purchase contract (P&S) is the same on all three. Therefore, it would make no sense to draw up a separate P&S that is different what state law allows.

Of interest to you is perhaps the clause that states that you must take delivery of the automobile (when made available to you) within 48 hours or the dealer, at his option, may retain your deposit in whole or in part to reimburse him for any loss caused by you.
    That's right Knott, I'm dealing with a dealer in another state. It's been strictly internet negotiations, & I've agreed to buy a Ltd. from him. It's Champion Toy in Texas, & there are three different locations for the company so I'm assuming they're not a fly-by-night outfit. I sent a $200 deposit without a written purchase agreement because he can get the exact car I'm loking for; in fact, it's coming from the distributorship next Wednesday. I agree it would not be economically practical to have a lawyer look at it, even if I had one in the family - probably would charge me anyway. hehe.

And as bwia said, the P&S seems to have me covered. BTW, thanks for mentioning the 48 hour clause, bwia, good to know. Today I rec'd. an email with the car's features/options including the VIN number.

So here's a new question: I'm flying into Houston to pick up the car. If it arrives as expected on Wednesday, would it take more than half a day or so to prep it and have a service guy drive it around to make sure everything's working OK? I could arrive next Friday & start the 2-day drive back to Denver. I'll ask the sales manager that question when I talk to him tomorrow, he's the one I've been dealing with, but I'm wondering about all of your experiences. How long between arrival at the dealership and drive-off?

Thanks, Joe.
    And folks are saving how much when purchasing out of state?

Airline ticket, 2 day trip back, fuel, time? I'm all for, and would purchase a car out of state - AFTER looking at the numbers and seeing just what I'd save.

My guess is, it wouldn't be enough to justify doing so. I could see a used car, where they are harder to find (when looking for a certain model), but new?

Now don't get me wrong, I love the adventure and driving part, hell I've been known to drive to NY to get lunch before (driving from Maine), but that was for lunch:)

I guess the real question is, just how far is worth it?

Skip