Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Real world mileage with 2.5 and CVT

Comments

• easypareasypar ColoradoPosts: 186
    "The right toggles and clears the display in the dashboard. In the dash display, there are displays for avg. MPG, instant MPG, and distance to empty"

Hey, look at that! I guess I should have figured it was there, my last 3 or 4 cars have had similar buttons.

One other thing I've noticed is that the "distance to empty" is VERY SENSITIVE to real time changes in driving pattern. For example I'll fill up near home and put 50 miles or so on a tank, then I'll get on the interstate and head up to the Rockies for some skiing. As I start down the highway to Denver the DTE will go from 390 to 400 plus, until I start climbing the mountains, then it'll drop like a rock going up to the Eisenhower tunnel. On my way home (all downhill) it'll climb like crazy.

I'm assuming that this rapid change may be a function of not having many miles on the car (about 3700) but as I get more miles it'll still change, just not as rapidly.

Thanks for the head up regarding the right hand button

easypar
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    They must assume you will continue to drive in the same fashion for the rest of that tank, whether you're autocrossing or hypermiling.
  • avery1avery1 Posts: 372
    How is it doing in all the snow?
    ateixeira wrote; "They must assume you will continue to drive in the same fashion for the rest of that tank, whether you're autocrossing or hypermiling"

Ummm, no. In fact the opposite is true, it seems to change almost every 10 miles or so DEPENDING ON HOW THAT DISTANCE DRIVEN.

BTW, mine does great in the snow, but then I grew up and lived in snow country (except for that 30 year sentence in Texas) so I know the way to drive in snow; no sudden maneuvers, no sudden starts or stops, 4 wheel drive only helps you GO, not STOP, and most important, the OTHER GUY IS AN IDIOT. This last one applies everywhere, not just in snow!

easypar
    Then they are assuming you will continue to drive as you have for the past 10 miles. :D

That's basically what I meant.

Let's say you change drivers at a gas stop on a road trip. The new driver goes 20mph faster than the previous driver.

Makes sense for the trip computer to estimate the new driver's range.
  • matt1320matt1320 Posts: 20
    The Boss says it's good. Her previous car was an '01 Dodge Stratus R/T coupe, a Mitsu eclipse wearing a Dodge costume. It was powered by a 24v 3.0L V6 rated @ 200hp that averaged 22MPG in winter, and 25 MPG in summer in the same traffic that the OB is now in. It was a great car in the summer on warm, dry, smooth pavement. Any other road condition degraded its ability/safety.
    The OB's winter MPG is the same as the Stratus' summer MPG, and she uses the remote start to preheat when it's cold. Also, the OB's long travel suspension and taller tire sidewalls are more forgiving on our sh!++y cratered roads.
  • boulderbobboulderbob Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I had the experiment of filling up in Golden. miles to empty (MTE) changed to 400. Drove to Beaver Creek, leisurely. Parked over two nights and drove back. as I passed Golden, and the MTE says 410.

The next week I took 5 people, their ski stuff (I have the Thule/Subaru top box) over to Glenwood and Aspen. No problems at the tunnel approaches, or Vail pass. Average was 26-28 MPG.

Cheers
    2.5 CVT "Goldie"
    Filled up last evening on a 315 mile tank with about 40 of it being on the interstate at 75 MPH, the rest was ALL in town, maybe 15 miles at 50 MPH, the rest at 40 or less.

12 gallons exactly, and I topped it off. 4130 miles on the odometer.

26.25 MPG, not too shabby.
    Just prior to Memorial Day I had a tank that had ZERO freeway miles and about 25 miles of open road, the rest was all in town, maximum of 50 MPH and a fair amount of stops. I got 26.2 on that tank.

I turned over 5,000 miles so I got the oil changed and tires rotated because we were going to Mt. Rushmore and that area. One one tank, with all but 100 miles being interstate we got 33.2 MPG. That was with two adults, a golf bag and a suitcase in the car. Usually drove 75 on the freeway.

Pretty happy with the mileage. The only thing I don't lke is the seats don't give enough support and my back hurts after two hours in either seat. The lumbar support doesn't help so I'm going to look around for a little "bolster" thingee.
    Just returned from a trip from norther Colorado to the San Francisco area. On two three of the tanks I got above 35 mpg; 35.3, 35.7, 35.2. This was with two adults, various suitcases, one set of golf clubs and, on the tankful from Reno to Salt Lake City 3 cases of wine. That one was the 35.2. Except for about 25 miles that was all at 70 mph on Interstate 80.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,567
    That's incredible on an AWD vehicle! Are you sure you weren't being pushed by somebody? :P
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    Seriously, did you drive down from Pikes Peak to sea level? :D

Amazing fuel efficiency!
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,688
    edited August 2010
    Are those recordings from the car's mpg readout, or from your actual mpg measurements? I've found my WRX's mpg readout to be a bit optimistic by about 1.5 - 2 mpg. Either way, it's impressive.

Bob
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,567
    I've found my WRX's mpg readout to be a bit optimistic by about 1.5 - 2 mpg.

I find the same with my '10 Forester. It typically reads about 27.3 when I fill up and I usually get up to 0.5 mpg under 26 mpg calculated. This tank, though, we are at about 385 miles on the tank (local driving) and the readout is showing 29.4 (so, maybe an actual 27.5?). I'm happy about that for sure, with nothing different except having changed the air filter just before the last fill with a K&N. I hope the two are related, but I actually bought it because it is reusable for life, basically, so it will cut down on waste.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    Those are CALCULATED, not off the onboard calculator. I only use the onboard computer as a rough gauge, and only on the "distance to empty" readout.

I did point out that the Reno to Salt Lake leg is (I think) slightly downhill. Still, with all the stuff in the trunk I'm pretty impressed.

Turned over 10K miles coming through Wyoming so took it in for the oil change. I've always just changed my oil on the 5,000 mile marks, much easier to track than the 7,500. Also with as much in town as we do I don't like to go that far on them.
  • gwsubarugwsubaru Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    I have a 2010 Legacy and get about 34-35mpg. 90% interstate 65-70 MPH. The onboard calculator shows 1.5 -2 mpg better than that most of the time. My wife & I and one other adult with luggage for 3 days drove 430 miles to Ocean city Md. and the onboard calculator showed 36.3 MPG (2000 ft drop in elevation). After three days of driving about another 100miles at or near the beach it showed 32.6 & I calcultated 32.8. Very pleased so far.
    You should have told me, I would have waved to you. We were there as well. :shades:
  • ldl20ldl20 Posts: 10
    Family trip to Ocean City, MD, from Northern, NJ. Almost made it back and forth on 1 tank, as we traveled 454 miles before filling up again on the return trip not too far from home (it's a 2011 Outback Premium with moonroof, AWP, and various accessories that had a little under 550 total miles, so I didn't want to have the fuel light go on so soon in its life). These 454 miles included some slow driving up and down the strip, idling and more slow driving near the Cape May-Lewes Ferry, and I filled it with a hair over 16 gallons, for a total of 28.4 mpg. Not bad at all. We came from a 2004 Odyssey which was good on gas, especially for its size, but not this good.

BTW: car never felt underpowered on the highway

ldl20
  • I actually believe we will run out of gasoline in my lifetime, so MPG is real important to me. So, yes, that is me in the azurite blue Outback crawling along in the right lane at about 60 MPH. Yes, I am passed by everone and I pass no one.
    I calculate every tankful.
    In the 2600 miles I have driven in my 2011 Outback with CVT, I have averaged 32 MPG. 65% of that is interstate cruising, the remaining 35% is suburban driving witha little stop and go driving.
    This past weekend, I was driving into a 20 MPH headwind. That tankfull was 2 MPG lower than the previous tankful. In terms of aerodynamics, the 2011 Outback is like a brick compared to the 2006 Outback I owned previously.
    I have averaged 32 MPG

*gasp* AVERAGE?!

That is sweet! I can break 30mpg in our 09 Forester PZEV auto, but not when I mix in stop and go.
    I'll get better with a few more miles and an oilchange.

Wow, 60 MPH, the engine must only be turning about 1750-1800.

I've done some trips in my wife's 04 Lexus RX330 and kept it below 65 and gotten above 30.

You're right about the aerodynamics, I swear the new Outback is the size of her Lexus.

I like that color too.
    It is much taller than the old one. Frontal area must be 20% bigger than before.
  • Fuel up and do a gradual ie easy entrance to the highway - put it on cruise with no major hills or wind in play and you can do 70mph and get around 30-33mpg. Toss in a down hill run say Colorado across NV going WEST and yes you might even see 35mpg. However that is not really your every day milege or even road trip average.

I've done two classic SF to LA trips on I5 in CA with the same load. The first trip we got an average of 27mpg doing 70-75mph the whole way thats both directions!

The second trip in order to avoid being tail gated - and the agressive drivers I set the cruise at 80mph and we got a rock solid 26.5mpg that happened to be both directions also same load.

Running north to Eugene Oregon we got a solid 28mpg there and 29mpg on the way back. Around town very flat - very limited traffic suburb type driving a solid 24mpg consistantly. In SF 21-22mpg solid. Towing our boat - 20-23mpg with no head wind 60-65mph with head wind its been as bad as 17mpg.

Only time we posted 30mpg for any distance was with nearly zero hills - traffic - cruise control set at 70mph and a very light on the throttle freeway approach. Yes you can get 30+mpg but your normal every day driver will never see that.
    Don't know if you're in a Legacy or OB (outback rating is about 1 MPG worse) but we don't get to drive 80 MPH. As far as light throttle on the freeway approach, well I've been driving for more than 45 years and I use the amount of throttle that will get the job done, no more, no less.

Actually I did recently get less than 30 on ONE tankful. Driving to Austin last week my wife got the gas while I hit the restroom on one stop. I got behind the wheel leaving the station and I noticed the needle wasn't all the way up. She calculated the mileage at 37 MPG. Uh, oh. The car had been on a slight angle and she pulled the nozzle when it cut off. At the next fill up it registered below 30.

The two tanks we drove back on got 31.5 and 32.4, about what we've averaged (highway) for the 14K miles we've put on the car.
    I'm a bit over 28,500 on my 2010 Legacy Limited with 2.5 and CVT. Just got back from a trip from Fort Collins to Cincinnati and got 34.4 on 3 of my fill ups. That's with 2 adults, suitcases, laptop, snacks and one set of golf clubs. Generally we were driving at 70-75 MPH except in the construction zones. On my last fill up, Hays KS to Thornton (just north of Denver) we got about 32, but that is "uphill" and the temps were in the 90s.

Overall very pleased with this unit. Not sure why watkinst can't get above 30 MPG on the I5.

easypar
  • timadamstimadams Posts: 294
    I have a 2011 2.5i CVT Legacy with 6k miles, and I'm certainly happier with my fuel mileage than I was last winter. I've noticed a big spread between 100% highway vs. mixing in any significant amount of "regular" driving - I don't want to call it "city" driving, because I live in the country and rarely ever drive in stop-and-go traffic. I took two recent trips and got 31.5 and 31.7 MPG, with all highway driving. My normal everyday mileage is about 24 to 28, depending on the type of driving. I would like to have higher, of course, but I'm pretty much hitting the EPA estimates, even if it tends toward the low to middle end with typical suburban/rural driving.

My last car only had about a 4-5 MPG swing between my everyday driving and highway driving. The Legacy seems to have a 7 or even 8 MPG swing. That seems to be the case with many new cars, which are designed to loaf on the highway for boosted highway mileage.
    With such few miles you'll see an increase after another couple of oil changes. The extra gears in the CVT seem to really help a lot. The only time my revs get high is maintaining highway speeds going up to the Rocky Mountains.

Very please with the numbers on this car. Makes my wife's RX330 (which we liked the mpg on) seem like a gas hog!
  • 2010 Legacy CVT
    I travelled from Northern NJ to Virginia just outside of Washington DC last summer. I used my cruise control just about all the way averaging speeds of 65 -70 MPH. I also used the AC on and off just to cool off. I made it there, parked in a garage and back on a full tank of gas 36 MPG @ 575 miles with 60 mile to go so that was over 600 miles total. I get an average of 33 PMG on my way to work with about 90% highway. :)
    Sweet. :shades:
  • pilot1226pilot1226 Posts: 165
    I have an `11 Outback 2.5 Limited and recently did a bunch of driving for a summer vacation with the family.

Had about 525 miles on my tank before the light came on and filled it up. I have noticed a pretty big difference (as expected) if you stay closer to 55-65 rather than driving a lot faster than that. Trip computer seems to suggest that I could exceed 600 miles range if I drove highway at 55mph.

The computer also suggests that I break 30MPG highway, which is a few MPG higher than the window sticker suggests.