Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Real world mileage with 2.5 and CVT

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    I just think it would be great for them to give a big FU to California! If more manufacturers did that, the public pressure might actually make a positive difference in all our lives.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,601
    Well that's a political argument, not an market based one. Even if it were useful in this case, do you really think Subaru would be the one to do it? After all their image is all about peace, love and understanding - that's the California way.
    Hahah; no, that's NOT the California way.

If Subaru is willing to sell a car like the Tribeca, which has been a bomb since day one and was built primarily for the NA market, then surely they can take a chance on the Forester diesel, which would NOT be a bomb (even if they had only 2/3 of their potential market).

I think they're more likely worried that it would cannibalize their gasoline-engined sales, and it would, but not to an extreme level. For example, I'd buy one in a heartbeat but am otherwise not likely to purchase a Subaru for my next vehicle.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited October 2011
    What they need to estimate is how many incremental sales a diesel would bring if it was offered to only half of America, and then whether the costs of certification would justify it. Tribeca is already paid for, certified, and notice they have not updated the powertrain since 2008.

It would be a pretty big gamble, and Subaru is ultra-conservative.

Don't get me wrong, I'd *LIKE* to see one, but given their track record it's soooo not happening it's not even funny.
    it's soooo not happening it's not even funny.

There's no doubt about that at all. Knowing Subaru, they'll probably wait until the market is already doused with diesels, and then it will be just another contender.

Right now, they could really make an impact. You say markets like Florida are not Subaru strongholds, but put a >40mpg car into the mix, and I don't think having AWD would even be a factor any more. It certainly wouldn't detract from it. Really, the uptake rate is going to depend on the premium associated with the engine. If they can keep it as a sub-$30K offering at MSRP, it'll be a hit (and not just in the northern climates).
    Exactly. They will be the 7th diesel entry in the compact crossover segment, after VW, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Chevy, and Jeep. :sick:

Forester diesel, right now, for $25-28k. Hire extra accountants to count the money.
    I might even apply! :shades:
  • 6000 miles, one long trip from Reno to Seattle and back. Overall trip mileage was 29.6 mpg. That is what it was, up and back. Never over 30. Around Reno, mileage is averaging 27 something. We are mountainous, above 4000 feet, which will change mileage. The car has lots of power...more so than the 2000 Forester we traded in with 200,000 miles. Lots more cush! We just got the basic model and I put in the Bluetooth accessory. Took both of us a while to get used to driving with the CVT transmission...like driving a 1955-56 Buick with its DynaFlow transmission on steroids! I read some reports that people were claiming 35-36 mpg with the CVT Outbacks....Horse hockey...Maybe going downhill for 500 miles..but not in the real world.....
  • skyiceskyice Posts: 21
    edited November 2011
    My car is 2011 outback 2.5 i. I got an average 20.1 MPG since I bought it, about 3900miles now, mostly city roads. 20.1 MPG is acceptable to me. However, it gets worse now. I filled up the gas tank when the low fuel light was on (for the first time) yesterday. The number on "distance(or mile) to empty" meter dropped very quickly from 330miles (full tank) to 260 miles for only a 20 miles drive. You may say I should not trust the digit meter. But I did a calculation between two fill-up before. 16.6 liters for 105 KM or 15.7 l/100km or 15mpg, that is a lot to me. Does anyone has any idea on this? I just saw too many good MPG in this forum, which makes me feel upset. :cry:
  • easypareasypar ColoradoPosts: 172
    Three points here;

1. Not very many miles yet, probably haven't had your first oil change, right?
    IIRC it took me until about 8,000 miles to start getting pretty good mileage.

2. All town driving will definitley kill the average.

3. The computer seems to recalculte almost every mile so don't go by the onboard DTE numbers.

If I spend a week or so driving around town and then fill up for a trip to Vail mine will say mayber 300 miles DTE when I get on the interstate highway. By the time I've driven the 50 or so miles down to Denver it will read 380 DTE, by the time I've driven to Vail (all uphill) it may still say 280-300 DTE.

Usually my car doesn't move once I've parked it at a ski area. When I drive back to Denver (all downhill) it may read 350 DTE and then back around 300 when I get home.

If it's really bad on actual (you calculate) mileage then maybe check to make sure there isn't a loose connection around the air cleaner. Not sure why there would be but on my wife's Lexus they used to always lose one of the screws when they would check the filter at oil changes. The first time I realized they were doing this was when we had the oil changed the night before a trip from Austin to Denver. I could almost see the fuel gauge moving and had to buy gas before we got to Abilene!

easypar
    edited November 2011
    Thanks a lot! easypar

I had my first oil changed 3 months after I purchased this car at 1000 miles which is suggested by Subaru owner's manual. Now it is about 7.5 months and I will do the second oil change next week and see if the MPG can be improved. I will ask the dealer to check the air cleaner too.

I just don't get it why so many people have such great MPG in both city and highway. As I see, most of them can gain from 23-27 MPG. Now I can only have 16.2, which is too abnormal.

It is my first outback and everybody told me it is a very reliable car before I bought it. I was very happy with it until last week. I got two recall letters from Subaru America regarding windshield wipe motor and moonroof. Although they are just small problems, I still feel uncomfortable. :sick:
    Keep in mind they are merely addressing even minor issues. That should actually reassure you.

Subaru had issues with head gaskets and extended warranty coverage on those to 100k miles, too.
    Honestly, it depends on how "city" your city driving is. If it is literal stop/go every quarter mile (or less) all the time, mileage is going to be terrible. There is just no way around that. Typical city driving involves some distances of a mile or more before having to stop again, which then helps to bring that average up.
    If it's cold, mileage will basically stink until the engine is warm. So for the first mile or two you are getting terrible fuel efficiency.

That's why it's a good idea to combine errands - the engine's already warm.
    edited November 2011
    Thanks both xwesx and ateixeira!

Yes, I do have a lot of stop/go on the way to work and back to home in my city. The weather here is nice but I still warm up my car every :blush: morning (until the blue light off) and remind my wife to do so as well. I believe the MPG on highway is much better than the city roads with a lot of traffic lights and stop signs. Anyway, I will keep watching my MPG.
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,432
    The weather here is nice but I still warm up my car every morning (until the blue light off) and remind my wife to do so as well.

THAT is what's killing your gas mileage. Modern cars do not need to be "warmed" up before driving off. Start the car and drive "sensible" until it's warm.
    You can drive while it warms up. The ECU is programmed for that, actually, so it's OK to drive off.

You should give it enough time to establish oil pressure and flow before driving off, but that's a matter of seconds, not minutes.
    edited November 2011
    This morning I calculate the MPG again by myself between two filled-up. The MPG is 16.2. 50 miles city roads killed 13 litre. The trip computer for the average MPG reset after last filled up is accurate, showing 16.2 MPG.

I don' think it relates to the warm-up engine issue. It'd never happened before I drove extra 15 miles when the low fuel light was on last week. I think the poor MPG may be the consequence of potential gas pump damage. Is that possible?
    It would be hard to isolate it to one factor, since there are so many.

Remember, when you're sitting still, idling, you are getting 0 mpg. Enough of that will bring your average down no matter what kind of roads you drive on.
  • lykalyka Posts: 1
    I have had a similar experience. On my last trip I got 35.7 mpg, mostly interstate driving with 2 adults and luggage. I also have noticed that if I buy my gas in central or southern Virginia, I will get up to 2 mpg better than Maryland gas. I have the same 2010 Outback Ltd with 2.5 ltr.