Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• Hi all of you Audi enthusiasts,
    This is my first on line message (I just joined Townhall a couple of days ago.
    I'm still shopping around for a 2001 A6 2.8 with tiptronic, premium pkg., Bose sound, ESP, rear side airbags, leather seating in Ming Blue (my wifes choice) with the Melange interior (my preference is the Silver with the black interior).
    Any how I'm in San Diego CA and the best deal I can get is about 2K over invoice. Can I do better? I have tried carsdirect.com and they are no better.
    I have been looking at other cars too but the A6 seems to be the best packaged automobile around. Are there any quirks or problems with this car? I plan to keep it a long time (my current steed is a '91 Mazda 929S with 84K and looks like new).
    Looking for some advice.
    Thanks and hope to report on how things go.
    Merwan Irani
  • mpuzachmpuzach Posts: 635
    The A6 is a fabulous automobile. I've had mine for 3 months now and still marvel at how good it feels to drive it. The 2.8 liter engine and 5-speed Tiptronic transmission are a wonderful power train; it provides more than adequate power and costs thousands less than the 2.7T. I assume you've taken a test drive; if not, it would be wise to do so before spending this kind of money.

As for quirks or problems, I've had none in 3 months/4500 miles. Not everyone has been as fortunate, though. My recommendation is that you post your questions on the A6 forum at http://www.AudiWorld.com. There are MANY more A6 owners there, and they're great about sharing information.

As for price, $2000 over invoice is probably at the high end of typical. $1200 - $1500 over is by no means unheard of, but it really depends on dealer supply and how hard you're willing to work at striking the deal. I paid just $592 over, but that was through CarOrder.com; they've since gone under.

One other thing regarding options...you didn't mention quattro or moonroof. Are you considering either?
  • I just returned my '99 A6 to the manufacturer (as a lemon) and received a "settlement" check. I know many people that have A6's and love them, but also a few who have had many problems as I did. For a luxury car and the kind of money you will be paying I would opt for something with a better reliability record than the Audi. My problems ranged from minor but reoccurring electrical issues, to a constantly failing gas gauge, and to serious brake issues. Good luck!
  • I have a bunch of questions:

1- What is the difference between the A4 and the S4?

2- Can anybody tell me about experiences with Audi service the Boston area? I want weigh the service department heavily in location of where I make my purchase.

3- How many people have noticed the quattro's inherent driveline windup wacking sound when accelerating after coasting/slowing? I commute for hours every week in stop and go highway traffic, and I don't want to hear annoying noises every time I gas it to move another 30 feet in traffic. I also have to deal with 4 speed bumps on a long hill to get to my house. Does anybody hear it after speed bumps? How bad is it?

4- Does the A6 have ample ground clearance? My 1996 Honda Accord is able to make it uphill over the 4 speed bumps (even the huge bump with massive scrapes), but I don't want to buy a car that I can't bring home without ripping off the exhaust or front end plastic cowling.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • 1. Big difference is engine! 2.7t vs 1.8 4 cylinder or 2.8 injected V6, std. quattro. Also suspension, price, etc. It's like asking what is the difference between a BMW 323 and an M3. Check Edmunds for details.

2. No experience

3. My A6Q is one yr. old with 11K miles and have had no noticeable driveline windup. My driving is mostly stop and go in Dallas. Our neighborhood has speed bumps and I take them at normal speed (I don't slow down!).

4. I've only had the front scrape on steep driveways backing up and an occasional front concrete "stopper" with no damage so far.

Hope this helps. My 2 cents worth is that the S4 (and A4) are very different cars from the A6. Make sure you drive both.

Good luck
  • I leased my 2000 A6 2.8 at Hoen Audi in Carlsbad, CA. I talked to Terry Branco.....They gave me a great deal on the lease.....very easy transaction with no last minute pressure to buy lo-jack, under coating or anything. Give them a try....

By the way, I love my 2.8 Tip Milange/Milange.... 4,000 trouble free miles...
  • Thanks for you input.

Based off of your information on the S4 verses A4, cam I assume the S6 (not available in the US) performs better than the A6? It would explain the desire I've read about in these forums.

I am only interested in a loaded A6 quattro 2.7t or Volvo S80T. The main reason is that there are very few cars I can fit in with my 6'5" long torso body. Even though I fit the Saab 9-5 doesn't do it for me with the horrible interior styling, noise ride, etc.

I'm having a difficult time deciding between the 2.7T and S80T. I like this interior and exterior of the S80 much better, but I like the functionality of the quattro (I live in snowy NH with hills) and some nice touch features such as auto-dim outside mirrors and Xeon headlights. The major problems have mostly been resolved in both cars, so other than test drives I not sure how to pick between them. Maybe I'll flip a coin if the stock market continues to do well for me over the next week.

Mike
  • Any reason not to buy a 2000 model, other than warranty bump? If you can find what you want, I would bet you could get it for $1,000 over invoice, maybe less.
  • As it happens, I have both of these in my garage. (2000 models of S80 T6 and the A6 2.7T(sport). I leased the Volvo last Christmas for my wife. At that time I hadn't driven the A6. I thought then that the S80 was the best car/value in its class. Fast, comfortable, safe and priced right. My wife absolutely loves the car. At one time, I even considered leasing another one for me. But then I drove the A6 2.7t and, for me, it was no contest after that.

The driving experience in the A6 is, IMHO, superior to the S80. You feel the road better and feel more attached to it with quattro. The S80 feels almost "floaty" to me in comparison. There is also a significant amount of torque steer(due to lots of torque in the FWD) in the S80 that is absent in the A6. We have traction control in the S80, but it still feels less sure on the road than the A6. I never feel like I will fishtail in the Audi. We even have the 17 in. wheels in the S80, but the Sport package (PSK) of the A6 provides much better handling, even with the 16 in. wheels. Both cars are plenty fast, I'll say that.

I'm a little surprised that you like the S80 interior better. I think the A6 is the most attractive interior I've ever seen, especially at this price level. The 2000 S80 looks a little cheap in comparison (though I hear Volvo went back to real wood trim in 2001). I have the sport seats in the A6 which I love. But I think the Volvo seats are more comfortable for long haul driving. Maybe the most comfortable I've ever had. On the other hand, Audi seat memory adjusts mirrors as well as seats and Volvo's just adjusts the seats. I like 3 year leases and Audi's covers ALL service and maintenance(even brakes!) for 4 years in 2001. Cost of ownership is sure to be less in Audi.

Bottom line, can't go wrong with either car. I think both companies have created outstanding touring/sports sedans. You'll have to try both and decide which in your favorite. The good news is....my wife is happy and so am I ! Good luck!
  • Petrie3,

I wish I could come to your house for test rides. I like and dislike both cars for various reasons. Some not so common than others. I wonder if most folks prefer the A6 interior. I don't like the many little 'chicklet' buttons (a good adjective somebody used a while back in one of these forums) in the control panel. It make it difficult to find the correct control which would cause me to look away from the road too often. The shifter also seems too close to the climate controls as well. Even leaning forward I still had a tough time determining what was behind that stick. One last thing that bugs me about the A6 interior is the excess of ash-trays (I guess Europeans like smoking more than Americans) and the lack of cupholders (not to mentions you the potential for accidentally insert your cup a bit harshly and spilling the contents all over the stereo/environmental controls. I shouldn't complain. I'm sure I'd get used to it. the A6 also has a few nice touches, like the folding side pockets, auto-dimming side mirrors, xeon lights, emergency kit, and hazard triangle.

I plan on test driving both this weekend. I've already tried the S80 T6 at a dealer and in a friends car. My impression was summed as very comfortable, with logical layout of controls (I believe in functionality over elegance - another reason why I'm waying the quattro over the classier exterior of the S80), top notch navigation system, poor take off power, good passing power, floaty side to side suspension, hyper brakes, and excellent sound. I'll let you know my opions after the test drives if you folks care to hear them.

Mike
  • Hi folks,
    Thanks for your advice and encouragements on my quest to buy an A6 2.8 Tiptronic but no Quattro.
    To djryan, I am shopping at Miramar Audi and they are not giving such a good deal. I will be going to Hoehne Motors in Carlsbad to see what kind of a deal they can give me.
    I might even end up in Hermosa Beach to see an Audi there. Has anyone seen the 2001 C-Series MB's? I here they are styled like the S-Series. I may see one this weekend. If I like it I may say bye bye to the A6.
    Thanks again folks. Will keep you posted.
    Merwan
  • mpuzachmpuzach Posts: 635
    I don't want to beat a dead horse here. Both are superb cars, for sure. I came very close to buying an S80 2.9 before finally getting my A6 2.8 Quattro. In addition to the items already mentioned, here are some areas in which I think the Audi beats the Volvo:

1. Xenon headlights optional on A6, not available on S80. I have them and will NEVER go back to conventional halogens; xenons are excellent.

2. F+R heated seats in A6; F only in S80.

3. In 2000 at least, S80 had only 4-speed automatic vs. 5 speeds in A6; this may have changed for '01. In addition, Tiptronic available across A6 line; manual shifting not available on S80 2.9.

4. A6 has more complete instrumentation than S80 (oil temperature and voltmeter).

5. Front fog lights standard on all A6s; standard on S80 T6 but optional on S80 2.9 (dealer-installed).

6. Only the A6 has "puddle lights"!

7. Personally, I think the A6 interior is FAR more attractive than that of the S80, especially when illuminated at night.

8. Then there's the matter of quattro...
  • I agree with everything that mpuzach said in his post. I gather you are only interested in the turbo models of each car.A couple of comments based on his post:

1. Xenons...nothing better.
    2. I think Volvo offers heated rear seats now. Audi's have infinite adjustment, Volvo has just 2 settings.
    3. I like the Audi Tip better than the S80 touchshift option.
    4. Agree
    5. With the xenons on I barely even notice when the fogs are turned on.
    6. nice touch
    7. I really think the A6 interior is incredible. Especially at night. You should see it that way. I agree with you that the A/C controls are a little awkward, but you do get used to them. I don't find much reason to mess with the settings. While I prefer the knobs for A/C in the S80, the overall climate control system in the Audi seems more powerful. Actually, we think our Volvo A/C may not be operating correctly. We'll have the dealer look at it soon.
    8. Quattro. I just feel more secure and in control than in the Volvo. If snow and/or bad weather is a problem where you live...quattro!

As to the cupholders....Volvo's are great and I like the place for water bottles in the doors. But just have the Audi dealer replace the coin tray with an additional cupholder and you are set. I worry about spills too, but it hasn't been any problem at all.
  • My 2.7T has over 10,000 miles and the car has been almost perfect, better than my previous Merc C280, and so has the dealer. As for the Volvo, read the Car & Driver $40K sedan test.(maybe Jan/Feb issue?) A6 First, 5 Series second and I can't remember after that but I think the Volvo was 6th? As "Car" magazine said, Audi has single handedly dragged interior car design back into vogue. I would also say the same about the exterior design.
  • I agree with everything that mpuzach said in his post. I gather you are only interested in the turbo models of each car.A couple of comments based on his post:

1. Xenons...nothing better.
    2. I think Volvo offers heated rear seats now. Audi's have infinite adjustment, Volvo has just 2 settings.
    3. I like the Audi Tip better than the S80 touchshift option.
    4. Agree
    5. With the xenons on I barely even notice when the fogs are turned on.
    6. nice touch
    7. I really think the A6 interior is incredible. Especially at night. You should see it that way. I agree with you that the A/C controls are a little awkward, but you do get used to them. I don't find much reason to mess with the settings. While I prefer the knobs for A/C in the S80, the overall climate control system in the Audi seems more powerful. Actually, we think our Volvo A/C may not be operating correctly. We'll have the dealer look at it soon.
    8. Quattro. I just feel more secure and in control than in the Volvo. If snow and/or bad weather is a problem where you live...quattro!

As to the cupholders....Volvo's are great and I like the place for water bottles in the doors. But just have the Audi dealer replace the coin tray with an additional cupholder and you are set. I worry about spills too, but it hasn't been any problem at all.
  • Well, I took the 2.7T for a ride. Even though most tests results are the same as the S80, I like the performance of the 2.7T more. The Volvo is rather lofty in comparison. The A6 gives me more of the sports car feel. I shouldn't have been so critical of little things like buttons, cupholders and my ergonomic preferences.

I do have on major problem with the A6 that may sway my decision to the S80. I'm 6'5" and the A6 lacks leg room which force me to drive in a knee up position with my legs on either side of the steering wheel. The bad part is the obstruction of room by the center console. It pushes into the side of my calf. It isn't bad for short rides, but much stop and go traffic (my weekly commute) and it may be painful. Do any of you tall folks have this problem? I've was only in the car for 15 minutes when I noticed this issue. I've told the dealer that I would not be able to make up my mind unless I could test it for extended driving time or to/from work. He agreed to let me take the car overnight, but he doesn't have any more 2.7T with Tiptronics. I'll just have to wait a week or so.

Does anybody know of a web site that reports on dealers service departments? I'd like to attempt making a deal based on service and price. I guess convenience should be a factor as well.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Glad you like the A6. Remember I said you can't go wrong. I agree with your assessment that it has more of a sports car/sedan feel. As to driving position, I am 6'4''; 220# and haven't noticed a problem with that. In fact, I felt that the S80 center console was a bit more "intrusive". My height is more in my legs too. But, everyone has an individual preference for driving position. I wonder....do this A6 have sports seats or regular? Try sitting in whichever of those you haven't been in yet, it might help. Other than that, just keep monkeying around with all the seat controls and see if you find a good place. I agree, if you feel that uncomfortable, it might bug you for as long as you own the car. On the other hand, you might get used to it and be just fine!
  • This may be a stupid question, but did you have the steering wheel telescoped out all the way so you could get your seat back far enough?
  • It is fortunate that you can take the car for an extended drive. I had a Lexus ES300 that was wonderful in every way, but I found that the seats have very little thigh support, and after 15-20 minutes I became very uncomfortable. I only kept it a year. You don't want to make the same mistake.

DO try a new driving position - perhaps what works with your current car doesn't in the Audi, but a new position will?

Good luck.
  • Thanks for your input. I've tried the A6 with the steering wheel fully extended and raised. I've also tried the non-sport and sport versions, but the only difference I've noticed was the suspension. I have a friend who complains about center console in his older Lincoln Mark VIII, but he got used to it. As you said, it's individual preference and that could change with time. I'm very anxious to try the car overnight. I hope it gets here this week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mike