Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• Do not have to come with the 2.7T -- they are optional.

Enjoy the suspension which with the upsized wheels/tires came with ultra high performance all season tires Pilot Sport A/S -- which I thought was pretty interesting (Audi may be "getting the US market" after all).

The sport suspensions keep getting better and when coupled with the torsional rigidity of the cars actually feels very comfy.

And the handling is markedly better.
  • timcartimcar Posts: 363
    As Mark said, for '03 the 2.7T comes standard with the sports suspension and standard, non-sport seats, with sport seats as an option. I have an '01 2.7T without the sports suspension due to requiring the standard seats, and would LOVE to have been able to get the car the way it now is standard.
  • I've lived with my '02 2.7T w/ sport suspension for about 6 weeks now and find it's a perfect mix of responsiveness and comfort. I had the same concern about the car being too stiff as I drive around the roads of NYC and have found the ride no stiffer than my BMW 328i. I can understand how some people could complain about the sport seats - they're definitely not well suited to those with larger frames.
  • I agree with post 3179 and 3183. Their observations mirror mine on the '02 2.7T 6M with the sport package. My suggestion is figure out where you will be driving most of the time. If it's on the highway about 75% or more, get the sport suspension. You'll be very happy, especially on the twisties. If it's the other way, you might find the sport suspension a bit stiff. Test it before you buy it. You can't go wrong with that. Good luck
  • Hi,

I bought an 2002 A6 3.0 two weeks ago for carsdirect.com's price. Today I happened to find out that the current price listed at carsdirect.com has been lowered $1500! Can dealer/I still do anything about it? This maybe a dumb question, but I just can't take the $1500 difference made in two weeks! Thanks for your advice.
  • fantomfantom Posts: 211
    Can't believe I'm taking the side of the dealer rooban, but....

How would you feel if two weeks after you purchased your Audi there was a price INCREASE of $1,500 and the dealer asked you to pay it? Unless this is some kind of AoA retroactive incentive, I believe your out of luck. Don't let it affect your enjoyment of a great car....it's only money ;-).
  • I agree -- a deal is a deal. Unless there is some kind of fraud or some other form of misrepresentation -- well, you were happy at the time you bought the car, so you should still be happy about the purchase.

On Sunday, gasoline was 1.59 per gallon, today the same gas at the same station it is 1.42 -- I bought 15 gallons on Sunday -- damn! Maybe next week the reverse will be true.

Again, ONLY if there was some misrepresentation do you have a case, IMO.

Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear.
  • I don't think buying an Audi is like Best Buy or Circuit City 110% price match service!

How about buying stocks with a 14 day principal guarantee!

Are you sure the Audi price drop was for the exact same car w/ exact same options? I have not seen very many exact twin Audis on the dealer lots.
    New AutoWeek says next year's new S4 will have a SEVEN speed Tip! Thought the new Audi's would be getting ZF's new 6 speed. Guess they bumped it up a notch? According to them, it'll also have the V8. It also says that when the NEW S6 gets here, it'll have a V10, and the S8 will get the W12! Not bad!
  • Wow, I have been reading about the ZF 6 speed -- lighter, stronger, able to accept higher torque engine output, etc.

Usually the companies put the premo stuff in the high end first -- you know 6spd tip in new A8, followed a year or two later by A6, A4, etc etc etc.

Not that I doubt YOU, but is it possible it was a typo?

Man with 7 speeds the engine would always be in its sweet spot!
  • tubeytubey Posts: 39
    I just re-checked the Audi AG press release on the Audiworld Home Page and it mentions the 6-speed but nothing about a 7. Must be a late-breaking development.
    Could be. Wouldn't be the first time. Read an article about the new ZF design and understood some of it. Apparently, as I remember it, it uses some form of universal gear that dramatically simplifies the way it's built. I.e., fewer parts, smaller, etc. Guess it might be easier in this architecture to add additional gears. I too wondered if it was a typo.
  • The spec sheet just mentions a 6spd manual transmission -- it that your take, too?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Yep. Though I have read about a 7spd before, but that was long before the actuall car was revealed. Maybe the 7spd is being reserved for the next RS4. Overall I'm a littled disappointed by the S4, it needs more power considering it's weight.

M
  • I just read in Autoweek that it will be receiving a V8 and the A6 will be getting a V10. Actually it will be the S4 and the S6 that will be getting these engines. My understanding is that Audi wants to get away from turbos.
  • noshonosho Posts: 119
    the way I interpret the article is that the S-series cars will be non-turbo engined but turbos will remain for the non-S cars. The 4.2L V-8 for the S4 (pumped up to 344HP, 6-speed manual or a 7-speed auto). A 5.0L V-10 for the S6 and the 6.0L W-12 for the S8 - at least for Europe.

Maybe the 6-speed manual will be an option for the A6-4.2?
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Mark - Given the choice of a 2000 A6 4.2 or a 2000 A8 which would you pick?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Guys have you noticed that little black strips on the bottom of the S4, I so hope Audi doesn't do that to the cars headed here. First the regular A4s can't have body color all the way down, now this. What is wrong with the style-leading Audi group?

http://www.germancarfans.com/photos.cfm?PhotoID=3020916.001

M

• One can only hope that once in production they decide to color them or, better yet, give them the brushed aluminum look of the S6 wagon.
  • Looking at the blown up photo's, they look like bottom door edge moldings. I would think too high up for aerodynamics. Nice idea if you have high curbs, but, IMO, the color contrast draws your eyes away from the cars' overall appearance. The subtleties of Audi's lines are what makes it beautiful.

On door edges, has anyone come across door edge guards that fit ... and look good? I cringe every time the kids open the back doors by themselves. I have broken them of kicking the door open with their feet, but they still swing too hard for my liking.
  • Is there a price difference?

The answer is it all depends. I liked my A8 a lot, but I actually like my A6 with sport package better --

What kind of driver are you.

I thought the A8 was more luxo -- which frankly, I did not want.

Ask more questions and I will gladly opine. . .
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,244
    from Mark, but is it the shortest ever for him? If not, it has to be in the running.

Point being, opinions (even in the absence of data and/or information) are often interesting and enlightening.
  • tubeytubey Posts: 39
    If you invest in Stongard complete package for an A6 it includes door edge guards. They've saved my sanity more than once, particularly when the wind caught the door and blew it out of my hands. Hit a parking lot side rail, but you'd never know it.
    Assume that they are at the same price. As far as driving styles I enjoy the occcasional off ramp now and again but the Ohio police have succesfully clipped my wings to the point that I rarely exceed the speed limits anymore
  • I have talked to long-haul truck drivers and they all say that Ohio has the strictest police enforcement of speed laws around. Maybe that is a good thing- Ohio must have the lowest driver fatality rate around too.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,670
    While Mark is often known for his novelettes, which I appreciate because I like detailed answers of someone who REALLY answers a question, the occasional "short story" may be an answer written during a fast coffee break...:):):)
  • Your answer to my brief ?'s makes me think, now, that perhaps you might actually find yourself enjoying the A8 more. The A8 in 2000 probably had more amenities and safety features than the A6. For me, if the A6 had a sport package that might sway me back to the A6.

In terms of performance (at least in a straight line and perhaps under most normal legally aggressive driving) the A8 will yield little to the A6 -- the aluminum does make a difference. If you ever take anyone in your back seat for any distance whatsoever, the A8 is your choice.

Hope this helps.
  • I took delivery of an A6 4.2 at the end of May with the Telematics package. Exactly 8 weeks later the audio/Telematics system failed (stereo, On*Star, hands-free phone). The dealer replaced the system, saying the initial production run had been released with a software glitch that caused the shutdown. (Of course, the system failed two days before I was scheduled to leave on a week-long cross-country drive.)

Then last Friday night, exactly 8 weeks after the first system was replaced, the second system failed. This time I was on the road for a weekend car trip. I called an Audi service rep, who told me the software fix is still eluding Audi.

Other than this, I have loved this car. My Lexus RX300 lease is running out, and I have just signed a contract to purchase a new S6 Avant to replace it. Although I live in Connecticut, I am having to get the S6 out of Illinois in order to get one with the Telematics package (since a hands-free, voice-activated phone is important to me). I am now considering cancelling the purchase since it, too, probably has faulty Telematics software.

It's inexcusable for Audi to release cars in the $50-65K price range with electronics that do not work and that cannot be fixed.
    Thanks, your response echoed my sense of things but it is nice to ask the man who knows. I do tend to favor the A8 if for no other reason the engineering novelty and when they first came out an Audi dealer in Pgh told me that they used the Mercedes S class as it's collision benchmark. I seem to recall that he showed how they both had similar deformation charateristics when subjected to an offset collision.