Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Post your comments on the redesign here: Town Hall New Look!

That's where the developers will look for feedback.
  • morphiemorphie Posts: 94
    Most of you have already, probably determined that Netscape is not the preferred browser for the redesigned site. While I enjoy using Netscape, Explorer does solve the font problem.

Yet another victory for Microsoft.
  • aggie76aggie76 Posts: 265
    Which version of Explorer are you using, it doesn´t in 5.0?
  • morphiemorphie Posts: 94
    I am using 5.1 for Macintosh.
  • I switched to Netscape 6 and most of the problems went away, but the new site is slower with explorer than with Netscape.

So, even though the new site is, IMHO, not an improvement, at least I can use Netscape 6 and still participate.

Netscape forever, Explorer, furgedaboutit!
    Opera is an option, also. I'm using the 7.02B version on a 17" monitor, 1024x768 resolution, and have no problems with the font. I much prefer it to Netscape 6.x *because* it so much faster.

If you aren't already, follow the conversation in the discussion I linked above -- our Community Manager is doing everything she can to get the font issue fixed for browsers other than IE.
  • jdbtensaijdbtensai Posts: 122
    opera is the way to go, but i still don't like the new site. i liked the old format, especially how the latest car reviews were the first thing i saw.
  • ajaymeajayme Posts: 74
    I'm using IE 6.0 and Mozilla 1.1 and it looks bad on both. Who's bright idea was it to "redo" this in the first place? They must be looking for work! Bring back the old look!!!!
    I understand -- please follow the link I posted above and share your comments. The developers will not see them here.
  • nquayenquaye Posts: 2
    First time participant wanting to see if anyone has had the misfortune of sharing in a bad experience I had this past Friday:

I leased a 2000 A6 2.8 Quattro in March 2000, coming due in June of this year - 2003. I've loved my car for many reasons, and so was in the market to either go up to a 4.2 or even take a look at the new A8s.

Early last year, I experienced an odor of some sort in the car, that caused my eyes to water and my nose to burn. The problem was somewhat alleviated by opening the windows, but as I'm wont to, I ttok the car in - made it an early service trip. the dealer checked it out and found nothing, and indeed when I drove off, the smell wasn't there.

I attributed it to any number of things: leaking windshield wiper fluid, or as I'd washed the car before the incident, maybe some solvent or the other. I even ludicrously assumed it was the sun mixing with residue of wiper fluid! Long and short, had no clue and the dealer didn't find anything.

This past Friday, my fiancee and our 3 month old are in the car and I get a call. She starts to describe a smell which I finish for her - the odor was back. I told her I'd experienced the same thing and that I was going to schedule and appointment with the nearest dealer, which I did.

1 hour later, she calls me to tell me my car is on fire. black smoke came out of nthe air-conditioning vents, and then flames followed. Bottomline: traumatized passengers, totalled car, scared and royally pissed fiance.

Who can relate?
  • Hey everyone i just became a proud owner or an A6 it might not be the new body style or brand new but i am only 16 and it was the best i could do. I purchased a 1996 audi A6 with 72k miles. It was in as close as perfect condition as i could ask for being 6 years old. I got it for 7500 i thought i got a good deal who knows though. I have a few questions. I know audi's can have some proplems if you dont watch them and i was wondering if some owners could give me some advice on what areas to watch so that i do not get myself into a position where i am spending an extreme amount of money on repairs. Also i live in Mass and it seems that the car hates the cold. The engine just kind of whines in the morning when i start it for school and i start it 10 minutes before i leave is this common or could there be a proplem there. Any advice on how to baby my new car would be helpful
    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    J.Silva
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    Congrats on your purchase and best of luck with it. Just curious as to the whining in cold weather - when you say "cold" what kind of temperature? If you're talking at or below zero and the car's sitting out overnight, then I've heard lots of strange noises from vehicles that I've owned over the years, but the groans and whines should go away almost immediately after a few seconds. It it persists then maybe there's a problem. How does it run and sound once it's had a chance to warm up? My advice would be to see what kind of service schedule it's had (if you haven't done this already) and check the recommended service interval against it. (Be especially concerned about the timing belt, assuming the manual recommends changing it before 76M). Most important thing for normal maintenance is to change the oil regularly, like every 5000 miles or more if you plan to keep it a long time. In very cold temps I would follow the owner manual's recommended lighter-weight oil, probably 5W-30 this time of year.
  • The temperature lately has been in the low teens the "whining" stays for about the first 5 minutes of driving and then the engine sounds great. The previous owner was meticulous with maintenance so everything is up to order i guess i will just keep a close eye on it. Thank You
    Regards
    J.Silva
  • Timing belt. Big bucks. If uncertain, replace.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,640
    Check with Audiworld.com too. My '98 A4 starts like a champ no matter how cold it is.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• Change to 5W-30 Synthetic Oil- works much, much better in the cold weather!
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Posts: 136
    A few weeks ago I reported that I had a whine coming from my car ('01 2.7T) when I started it. The noise was so loud I was afraid to start the car before I took out the trash for fear I would wake up the neighbors. This didn't occur every day - though sometimes it lasted for a while. The last time it happened was two days before my appointment. There was no change in performance.

I took the car in for service last week (and got an '03 2.7T loaner). As you might suspect the dealer could not duplicate the problem and everything checked out fine. Strange thing, too, it hasn't happened since before my appointment.
  • We had a small car show here in Madison this last weekend and I did my share of crawling in and around the A6. I've always admired and enjoyed the A6, but never really appreciated how well laid out it was until this past weekend. It was like being hit over the head with a 2x4. I've been in the A6 before and I've even driven them, but I guess what I was doing/experiencing must have just washed off of me. I finally however, took the time this last weekend to fully take it in. What I guess I'm trying to say is I'm really impressed with the A6 and envious of their owners. I was particularly impressed with how Audi has remembered the passengers comfort as well as the driver. Maybe my next car will be an Audi (hopefully an A6 Avant). Sorry for the rant and congrats to all of the A6 owners out there.
  • I recently suggested to a colleague that he consider the A6 as a replacement for his Toyota Avalon. He wanted AWD and a similar sized vehicle, as well as some performance (not an issue in Audi vs. Toyota). He has done a thorough job of researching the A6 and pointed out that it has not received a positive reliability rating. He also read some very polarized opinions from owners...very negative and very positive.

Since I suggested the vehicle to him, I would like to inquire, on this board, of your opinions regarding the A6 in terms of reliability, cost of ownership, etc. I feel that some of the negative rantings may be "outlier" data, but it seems to be corroborated by the reliability rating the Audi received. Your comments and assistance would be appreciated.
  • Here's my opinion. I only have my A6 Avant for 9 months. No problem so far. Performance is great for this type of vehicle (station wagon, 8] ). Cost of ownership? Just my lease payment, gas, insurance and windshield washer fluids. Drove thru 7 inches of unplowed snow on Christmas day, averaged close to 40 mph with no incidents, I am only using all season tires, not dedicated snow tires. My only complain so far is the gas mileage could be a bit better, average around 15 for the city and about 21 for the highway.
  • numuupnumuup Posts: 4
    Thinking of purchasing from a dealer 98 A6 with 56,000 miles, loaded, quattro, for $13,950. How reliable is it and any problems?
    Any input on this model and pricing is appreciated. Thanks
  • timcartimcar Posts: 363
    From 3 years of reading this board and Audi World, various publications and my own experiences, I would rate the A6's reliability as typical for a high-tech, German luxury car. In the two years and 30+K miles I've had my '01 2.7T, I've had to replace an auxiliary cooling fan, a hazard switch, and shortly, a fan for the climate control. The car has also had issues with transient vibration in certain speed ranges, which has now been corrected, as it was initially after 5K. This has been a problem with some specific cars and seems to have multiple causes. But it looks like my dealer and AoA have gotten much better at finding and correcting them. Knock-on-wood, I am very satisfied with my car, and consider the problems as largely minor.

If the consumer ratings to which you are alluding are those of Consumer Reports, my car would probably contribute to the Unsatisfactory Rating the magazine would assign if I were to fill out a survey. Last time I checked, CR's methodology had no way of differentiating between minor and major problems or determining how difficult or easy it was to have them corrected.

I've also pondered the CR ratings, and they seem to have more than a dose of subjectivity. I noted that while the charts for the A6 and 5-Series show similar quantifiable percentages of problem areas, the 5-Series is recommended, and the A6 isn't for reliability reasons.

The A6 has had some problematic model years. '98 was its first year of production, and there seemed to be a disproportionate number of cars from that model year with problems, though many/most were great. For some reason, the first model year for the 2.7T, 2000, was also problematic for that model. Some A6's have obviously been flat-out lemons, with hosts of problems. Most have been good cars. But whether the A6 has had any more lemons as a percentage of its total than other similar cars is doubtful.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,281
    German luxury car. It's all about setting the bar. Happiness = reality - expectations. If you come to the party expecting a vehicle which is completely ridiculous to possess without a warranty (Mark will weigh in at some point), you'll be pleased as punch.

If, on the other hand, you're planning to get one with 40 - 80K miles and expect it to provide the kind of reliability that the (soul-less) asian vehicles are known for, you may need to consider recalibration of your expectations.

I actually like Audis, but I rent them (literally). Most of the people on this board who are the most pleased also rent (lease) them and/or make sure they're covered by a warranty that is supported by Audi.
  • asiu28asiu28 Posts: 7
    I bought my Audi A6 3.0 in Sept. 2002. It is a great car except sometimes when I shift into reverse (R) the car starts to shake, like go over reflectors on the road, but the car was not moving at all. I shift back to park (P) and then R again, the shakes stop and back to normal. Happens about once or twice a week. Dealer cannot find any fault. Checked everything. Any suggestions, please advise. Thanks.
  • I love my Audis (all couple dozen of them), wouldn't dream of having one without a warranty. Have only purchased ONE -- lease all the rest.

Can't remember keeping one past 49,000 miles.

Don't really know anyone who does not like the car.

The people that have (soul less) Japanese, etc., cars mentioned often do not like cars that require you to pay attention to them.

They are not wrong and we aren't either.

I grind my own coffee beans every single morning, too. Lots of folks use instant coffee -- and we are both happy.

Audis are very involving to drive and "live with."

Mine have been far from bullet proof in the reliability area. I found recently that the problems have been "nits" -- overwhelmingly so.

This is not an excuse -- at this stage of modern manufacturing nits should be very few and very far between.

The car (Audis, generally) is an absolute joy to drive. 1998 A6 2.8 quattros had far too many nits, IMHO, to consider used -- at least without a very comprehensive warranty product overlaid between your checkbook and the repair bills.

Audis (and virtually all European cars, for that matter) are breathtakingly expensive to repair and about average cost to maintain (for the breed, that is).
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    I'm thinking of purchasing a 2003 Audi A6 3.0 quattro. It looks like a very nice car, with one of the best interiors I've ever seen for this class. But I also heard from my friends that Audi got some serious problems with quality. My friends own A4s, so I don't know if A6 has the same problem. If anyone knows about this matter, plz let me know.
  • I am on my 3rd Audi. My current one is a 2002 A6Q 2.7T 6M which replaced my 1990 FWD Audi 90 with 96000 miles, which replaced my 1985 FWD 5000S after an accident (not my fault). I have been driving the A6 for more than a year now and find myself constantly looking for an excuse to drive that car. I live in NYC where public transportation is the usual way of getting around, and go to the Pocono mountains every other weekend for some R&R. I originally planned to get the new A8 when my lease runs out in 2005, but I'm having so much fun with my A6 that I am considering buying the next redesigned model in 2006 (?) instead of or in addition to the new A8, depending on how much money I have then. Never had a major (meaning, un-repairable) problem with the Audis. I used to drive a Toyota, a Nissan, a Volvo,(all stick shifts) and a Dodge (auto). Never had a problem with the foreign cars, either, and always had one with the Dodge. My wife is starting to increase her use of the A6 too because she likes the handling. I hope this helps you in your decision either way. Your experience may not be similar, as mine may not be typical. Good luck.
  • timcartimcar Posts: 363
    Robbie, could you be a bit more specific? I'm unclear what you're looking for, other than the experiences and opinions that have already been offered.
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Posts: 136
    The automotive page in today's Boston Globe had a write-up on problems with the 2000 and 2001 A4 and VW Passat. The problem is exclusive to the 1.8T. Apparently the ignition coils are causing trouble - failing while the car is being driven and forcing owners to have their cars towed to service. One tow truck driver was attributed with saying that he tows two or three cars a day with the same trouble. There was some concern that VW and Audi dealers have a fix but are waiting for cars to be brought in with the problem.
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    The problem I heard most is the ignition coil. And I also heard some complaints on reliability.
    None of my friends have an A6, that's why they don't know much about it.