Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• jodarjodar Posts: 51
    If this car is just for work and family driving, why get the Turbo? You would subject yourself to the mechanical complications and headache of possible breakdowns and down time. I'd just stick with the 3.0 Quattro.
  • The 2.7T is more fun than a barrel of monkees as they say. Why not get the car that will bring an ear-to-ear grin every time you drive it?

True, the turbo is "more complicated" -- but it appears that your driving will be at freeway speeds for fairly long distances -- get the extended warranty, use Mobil1 Oil and pay the slight upcharge and love every minute of the drive.

Last but not least -- the "summer tires" have a realatively short life. When you replace the tires you should be able to get some long lasting, ultra high performance all - season tires that will also be very quiet.

Life's too short to go with the 3.0 when you can make the 2.7T choice.

Finally if you can get the A6 2.7T with the 6spd manual you will have the 2nd quickest A6 in the land -- and it will be even more fun.

Yes, get as much warranty as possible no matter which A6 you get. One repair will make a $2K warranty extension look like a peanut.
  • I love it. I should just stop with those 3 words, but with all the naysayers posting here I thought I better cheerlead a bit more. Leased my 2002 A6 2.7T one year ago. So far total bill for anything except gas and insurance = $0.00 period. No trouble, no shimmies, no goofy things, no problems .. BUT .. tons and tons and tons of fun to drive. I have the sports package which makes this car hug the road like a glove on my hand. I highly recommend getting one. Beats the heck out of the BMW's, cheaper as well. I had a 528i years ago, loved that car as well, but it was BIG $$$ to fix, hell it was big $$ to even look at and ponder fixing. So for all you out there wondering, just remember the rule about web-based chat boards. Other than the few cheerleaders like our friend Mark in Cincinnati, and a few others, you generally get all the complainers online.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    I have 50,000 miles on my '00 A6 2.7T and so far only 2 repairs that were not wear related. The driver's window went "off track" and the heater fan blower started to make a little extra noise and was replaced. Not bad at 50,000 miles for any make of automobile!
  • Without knowing exactly what the financial setup you have with your company, its really hard for us to say which deal is better.

BUT, if I am the one in your situation. I might do this. Talk to your Audi salesman, and ask him to come up with a one or two year lease with the additional miles factored in. This way, you won't need to worry about extended warranty. Time the car will need to spend in the shop for the warranty work. By your estimate, you will need to bring your car into the shop for waterpump, timing belt replacement by the third year of the car, plus other potential work.

With the 2 year lease, you will only need to bring the car in for the scheduled oil change every 6 months. I have a feeling, with this arrangement, the cost per year will be very similar to what you are planning now. Food for thought.
  • I agree and would add that you might consider for a moment a 30 month lease, too. The last few Audi leases I had allowed up to a 5 month early turn in "loyalty" incentive. I go the best of both worlds, a lower payment and an early turn in.

Nothing is gauranteed, mind you, but this Audi loyalty thing always seems to at least let you walk away Renee 3 months early without penalty.

Just a thought. Short term leases, forever; Cars out of warranty, never!
  • no question the 2.7T is more fun from stop lights and in the twisties, but if your going to be driving with your family or on long trips across the plains of Kansas and Oklahoma, the 3.0 has plenty enough performance IMO. since this is your business transportation, do you want to risk the statistically higher repairs with the turbo 2.7? Even with a loaner while your audi is actually in the shop, the time spent taking the car in or waiting until you can get the car in for a service appointment is eating into your income-producing time.
       I dont think your going to get far with an extra milage 2 year lease from Audi Finance. They take those cars in off-lease to re-sell them as Audi-Certified used cars through their nationwide network. Lots harder to sell a 2 year old car with 50K miles at the premium they charge for the audi-certified cars. You'll probably do better through a bank. Its hard to imagine youll pay an extra $80 per month for the extra miles . Good luck.

Mark
    Mark
  • In Feb. I bought a 2000 A6 2.7T (lease return)with 52,000 miles. Live in California, car in Florida. I did this purpously thinking car probably had a cushy life in the temperate and flat environs of Florida. Also looked forward to making it a vacation and enjoying the adventure of driving coast to coast. In the middle of Kansas, the check engine light came on. Stopped at a dealer in Denver & was told I needed a new catalytic converter. Continued on to California to address this issue as Denver dealer had to order parts. California dealer diagnosed turbo failure as reason for catalytic converter failure. They had to pull the engine, replaced both turbos and right side cat. converter. Although car was out of 3yr., 50,000 mi. warranty, all but $130 of the $9,000+ cost was covered by the 7yr., 70,000 mi. emmision warranty. California considers the turbos part of the emission system and therfore requires Audi to warranty them under the emissions warranty. It is my understanding that if I resided in any of the other 49 states, I would have been liable for all except the cat. converter.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,262
    them turbos, to say nothing of Audis in general, as regards reliability.

Mark continues to point out that these cars are "breathtakingly expensive" to repair and that one should never drive one that's not covered by a warranty.

What that really means is that I should never own an Audi. What I do is own cars. I pick one that meets my needs and wants, buy it, and drive it for a number of years (more than three), accumulating in excess of 15K miles per year.

There are cars that I can buy that won't cost a fortune to drive to 150K miles. It's abundantly clear that Audi isn't among them. Other cars in this class are.

While Mark will bring anecdotal episodes to the discussion illustrating that the "soul-less" Asian cars also break down, and that BMW, Benz & Jaguar also have failures, what I'm interested in is dollars spent per thousand miles driven outside of warranty. per make. For Mark, it's zero. What he spends per mile to cause that to happen is also an interesting number.
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Posts: 136
    I've had my 2001 A-6 (2.7T w/6-speed) for 30 months and 37,000 miles and could not be happier. The car remains a joy to drive. Two unplanned maintenance items which were accomplished during regularly scheduled service intervals: a switch on the clutch needed replacement and a new display. In the case of the display I had occasional flickering on the date (assumed a loose wire). The switch on the clutch was replaced when I told the maintenance supervisor that starting the car was a bit problematic. Service from the dealer has been superb. A couple days advance schedule and I get a loaner - or for an oil change I'll take the first appointment and wait for 40 minutes or so. Coffee, newspaper, and CNN provided.

I haven't met anyone who regrets buying or leasing their A6. A friend of mine recently traded in his 5 Series for a new A6 w/auto. When he was looking I offered my car for a test drive but he didn't know how to drive a manual! Bottom line, though, is he could not be happier with the move.
  • . . .on my 2.7T 03 allroad (6spd). I continue to be impressed with the engine, the handling, the amenities and the "what is that, what is it called, etc." comments.

I am hoping to put 18" wheels (RS6 replicas from achtuning) and tires (245 x 45 x 18") later this year or early 04; and I think Mintex Green brake pads all around would also be an improvement that wouldn't break the bank.

The thing I miss about this Audi compared to my last 2 is the sound of the V8 under full throttle.

Otherwise this car is as tight as can be and does everything better (with the sound as noted) than my other couple dozen Audis.

Hopefully the turbo issues that seem to crop up from time to time won't be an issue, but I will not have the car without warranty, so, to a certain extent I am unconcerned.

Apparently 2004 is the last year for the current body style, and who knows what engines will be coming soon -- hopefully there will be a 2.9T, but apparently the V8 has so many iterations that are possible (3.7 to 4.2 with turbos, like the RS 6 and many variants in between) perhaps the end of the turbos is near.

My wife's third TT (225HP 1.8T quattro coupe) also continues to impress @ 15,000 miles on the clock.

Never follow, indeed!
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,525
    I happen to have been bye my VW / Audi dealer (briefly) this morning. The salesperson showed me an S4 (the only one on the lot – and sold) and I sat in it just for grins.

Then he showed me the (again only) RS6 they have. One of the managers was driving it as a ‘demo’. It was being washed, with the motor running. (To keep the interior cool, I expect.) the salesperson had the washer hose the suds off the driver’s side and encouraged me to sit in it. Since it had the optional ($950!) “Sound Enhancing Exhaust System”, of course I had to blip the throttle a few times. Wow. And then a few more.

Particularly with the turbochargers plumbed in the system, I was amazed at the pure V8 rap and rumble. This car may have the best sound I have ever heard under these specific circumstances. (This from someone that was having ‘glasspacks’ put on cars in the 60s – and had dual MagnaFlows installed on a 2000 Lincoln LS8 Sport.) deep, pure, not overly loud or obnoxious – but serious indeed.

I was not able to drive this beast. And I don’t know if the sound is as well engineered at full throttle, on the overrun and at high speed cruise. But if the rest of the car is anywhere near as well developed and executed as the exhaust blip, I guess I can begin to see where $80K+ went . . .

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Who still cannot scrape together over $80,000 for a new car . . . (sigh)
  • Hi! I drive an '02 A6Q 2.7T 6M with the sport suspension. My tires are almost worn out and I need to replace them all, after 18,000 miles. Can anybody recommend any brand they have had a good experience with? Mine came with Conti's Sport Contact2, but I don't need to buy the same, as long as the ratings are the same or better. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks to all who respond. Mario
  • minosminos Posts: 2
    Mario, I recommend Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. I drive a 2001 A6 4.2L with sport package and replaced my OEM Pirelli P6000 tires with the Michelins at 18000 miles. The P6000 tires started howling at 11,000 miles with road noise. I have 13,000 miles on my Michelin Pilot A/S tires (255/40 R17) and have been very pleased with their performance in dry, wet and even snow (laughed at a few SUVs this past winter). Road noise and comfort are excellent. The tires are pricey( ordered from the Tire Rack) but I feel well worth it. Hope this helps.....Mike
  • I test drove a 2000 A6 yesterday and wanted feedback regarding a brake problem. When I hit the brakes in the 20 to 50 mph range there is a sound similar to what you hear / feel when going over those short series of little speed bumps you sometimes find on highway declines. The dealer said this was caused by the cars being power washed, then sitting and not being driven. Rust builds up on the brakes / pads causing the vibration. I've never heard of this before. Any ideas?

Other than that, the car drove and handled nicely.

The car is a 2000 2.7T with 6 speed manual. 40K miles. The dealer said they've had the car for awhile and it is not selling due to the 6 speed manual. He said they would take something in the low 20s to move the car.

Assuming I can get the brake issue fixed to my satisfaction, I'm interested in buying this car. Is there anything I should be checking out / questioning? I'm planning on looking into an extended warranty.
  • timcartimcar Posts: 363
    I've been meaning to write a post on this topic for a while. I've got a non-sport '01 2.7T. It was delivered with the standard Conti all-season touring tires. About a thousand miles ago, I replaced them at about 39K. The tires I chose are Conti Extreme Contact all-seasons, which I obtained from Tire Rack and had installed by my dealer, for convenience and to avoid any possible finger pointing regarding their balancing.

I've never run max performance summer tires, and have found all-season touring tires to be acceptable for my wants and needs. While I've always liked/loved my car, I love it even more now. It has been transformed. The non-sport pre-'02 (or is '03?) 2.7T suspension is soft. Plenty of roll, and a springy feel to the ride.

I'm surprised that with the new tires, even the body roll has been reduced and the springy/bouncy movements almost eliminated. Much greater grip, BEST tires I've ever driven in the rain, just as quiet, only slightly firmer in dips and on bumps, good turn in, and precision. Only negative is that gas mileage has dropped by about 1 mile per gallon. I've yet to experiment with the tire pressure.

I suggest you visit Tire Rack's website as it has a lot of information. I was planning on getting the new Michelin Pilot all-seasons, but after comparing the price difference and the reviews, decided that the Conti's seemed to be about as satisfactory for $100 less per tire.

It seems that some people coming from max performance summer tires have NOT found these tires to be satisfactory. But for anyone wishing to run only one set of tires, and who can live with less than maximum performance, these seem to be a very desirable consideration.

One word of caution: I found it took at least 1,000 miles for these tires to break in. Before that happened, I experienced non-linear handling, which consisted of initial understeer that could convert to slight oversteer with more throttle application. I also experienced slower and less precise turn in. This has gone away, and the tires now seem even quieter. As I continue to add miles, the tires seem to be getting even better.

I recommend these tires for any A6 owner who wants a great handling and riding all-season tire, who is willing to trade off a slightly firmer ride than the touring tire, and slightly less performance than a maximum performance summer tire.
  • noshonosho Posts: 119
    I own one... and yes, the rotors for the 2000MY are made of soft iron. They rust in ~8 hours if wet, i.e. - drive to work in rain and the rotors will be rusted by evening when you leave. My dealer replaced the rotors & pads under warranty at 30K miles but apparently this did not occur for the previous owner of this A6. New rotors take care of the issue.
  • On my 2001 A6 4.2 w/sp[ort package, I replaced the tires twice (in 36K miles). The second set was with Falken Azenis ST 115's. About $150 per tire.

Quietest tires ever. 255 x 40 x 17" same as factory size. Z rated. Handled great and seemed OK in all but the coldest part of winter (Z rated, so they like it warmer than all seasons).

I would suggest these tires for 9+ months (I live in Cincinnati and they would have been fine for all of 2002-2003 winter.

If you need all seasons, these are not for you.

If you really need winter tires, my current tires, Pilot Sport A/S are barely OK. If you live where the winters are "moderate" these all seasons are perfect and my next tire will either be 245 x 45 x 18" Conti Extremes (thank you Tim) or the Falken's mentioned. tirerack or tires (both .coms) will get you the one you need.

Conversely, Pirelli 6000's and 7000's are, well, hmmm, if they were free they'd be too expensive. . .does that get the message across?
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    I had these put on my (previous) A4 and they seemed fine at first, but after about 2000 miles the noise level was unbearable. Based on my experience I would not recommend them.
    Joel, I think the all-season Conti Extreme's I got may be different than those of your experience. You mentioned putting them on an A4 you used to own. How long ago was that? My impression is that this tire version is still pretty new. With 2000+ miles on them, my tires are still just as quiet as the OEM Conti touring tires I replaced, and are among the quieter I've ridden on.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    I put a set of the Extreme Contacts on this spring, in March, and drove on them until the car was traded in, which was in July. They seemed fine for the first couple of months but the noise level was very "disquieting" in the last month or two. My set could have had a different tread pattern than yours - the size was 205/55-16.
    Very interesting. I'll see what I perceive as the tires continue to mature. The only other ultra-high performance all-season with which I have experience were a set of Michelins of a model I don't remember that were OEM'ed on a Legend about 12 years ago. Great tires for about 10K, shot after 15K. Became problematic in the wet and VERY scary in any snow. Ride and noise also degraded proportionately.

Some of the driver reviews at Tire Rack differ dramatically for the Conti Extreme's. The only negative I've personally perceived other than the slightly reduced gas mileage occurred yesterday. I had the occasion to drive over some really badly decayed blacktop and poorly maintained dirt roads. I don't think I'd chose these tires if that comprised a significant portion of my daily driving. They're just too harsh for those conditions, though I don't find them objectionable for normal road imperfections.
  • A friend of mine is on his second Audi -- first a 1999, now a 2003 -- he told me that he keeps wondering if the people that contribute to some of these forums aren't really "anti" NAME HERE.

Mostly, I would say that edmunds does provide a forum for fans of the NAME HERE brand -- my friend sent me a phrase that I have modified for those of us who participate in this town hall (see if you like it):

"Edmunds (Audi) Townhall is a place for Audi enthusiasts to share information and to celebrate the brand."

I don't think this means that this would preclude us from discussing issues and problems, but perhaps it would suggest that this is not just meant to be a forum to "bash" NAME HERE cars.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let's amend that to say "The Audi Owners Club in the Town Hall is a place for Audi enthusiasts to share information and to celebrate the brand."

This particular discussion is to talk about the A6 sedan. There isn't anything wrong with folks posting honest assessments and opinions - negative or positive - as long as there is no intent to disrupt the discussion.

But yes, using any dedicated vehicle discussion for no other purpose than to bash it can be disruptive and should be dealt with by the host - not the other discussion members.

As always, feel free to email me (or any other host) about any concerns of this nature.
  • Well, I traded - in my A6 4.2 late last year; picked up a new allroad. This time, the dealer didn't "want the A6" (long story, relating to Iraq, recession, rust bucket (OHIO) etc.) Months and months later, I got a bill for about $200 from Audi financial for "excess" milage.

I spoke with my dealer about this -- dealer said that he would "go to bat for me." Dealer thought it was "odd" that Audi would expend large dollars and other incentives to attract a current Audi financial customer to get out of his lease early, help with the paperwork and muck and mire of an early termination (6 months) and then nickel and dime the customer who bought $94,000 worth of Audis on one day (my $50K allroad and my wife's $44K TT).

Three letters from me to Audi -- one of them FedEX -- later, I get an aplogy from Audi and a "we pride ourselves on individual and personal attention" for our customers, etc. Net net -- overage wiped out and once again I feel like an "appreciated" customer.

BTW, after months and months, the dealer bought the car from Audi, put a new battery in it, detailed it and it lasted less than one week on the used car lot (2001 A6 4.2 Sport with all options and 34K miles)!
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Can you explain why on some A6 seats the upholstery panels run front to back and on some they run side to side? Is one a sport interior and one a standard? On yours it was side to side (I remember your car from the showroom)
  • ctorreyctorrey Posts: 64
    Not sure about '03 and newer models, but Audi used to have three distinct interior themes (e.g., ambition, ambiance, etc.). Each of these themes contained several color combinations and had unique textures & stitching. My '01 A6 4.2 has the ambition interior and has skinny longitudinal stitching in the seats. It looks almost like pleats. It is very different from the other themes. I think this also affects door trim.
  • The easiest way to determine Audi Sport Seats (that are usually on Audi's w/Sport Pckge) is to look at the bolsters. On the sport seats, the bolsters are very deep, the overall look being more like a "bucket" -- the comfort seats, conversely have flatter side and bottom bolsters.

Due to changes from model year to model year, it is not always easy to answer the question about the way the seat leather runs. The bolsters, however, are a dead giveaway.

Some people don't like the sport seats since they tend to apply pressure to, shall we say, wider backsides than do the comfort seats.

I prefer sport seats, but none was avail on my 03 allroad.
    The Great Debate:

Is the A6 a beautiful, fast, well-made, lovely driving, performance-luxury auto, OR junk? Beyond counting the centuries that will expire before your typical Camry or Accord will require oil, or maybe even gas, I have decided that the issue has been settled by a younger woman with whom I've been spending time.

One with whom I've enjoyed rondevouz's for the last couple years. Considering that the majority of her conversation consists of chatting with her kitties, and sometimes flowers, I was surprised when I just received the unsolicited comment, "Grandpa, I LIKE your car!"

As a sagacious 2-year-old, those of you who are doubters, should take her judgement to heart. And for those of you who think being a Grandpa ain't cool, just try it!
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Well that justs sums it all up now doesn't it?