Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• revrasrevras Posts: 59
    I wonder if anyone out there in the community had an idea of how the sales are going for the new model? So far there have been absolutely no sales or promotions, ie so your only getting this car if you really really want it. Audi usually comes across w promos at some point, but perhaps this signals a change in attitude and marketing.
  • The S6, post 1995, has ONLY been offered in the US in Avant form. I suspect this is to make certain that no one confused the S6 with "R" versions.

The car companies place a high ego premium on certain things: BMW = "M" for instance. I believe that Audi has three or four auto performance lines in mind.

Note: the "S" as Avant only in the US was certainly an effort to prevent folks from saying "S" cars can't compete with "M" cars (at least the comparison that MIGHT have been put forth of the M5 and the S6 would not have put Audi S's in a positive light, despite the price differences.)

The four Audi lines will (hopefully) soon be available in the US (NA actually):

o Basic Audi Line

o S-Line

o S

o RS

The upcoming A4 will have S-Line (today it is called Ultra Sport); the current A6 4.2 ONLY has S-Line (I would hope that the 3.2 would get it too, since it is more about things other than the motor); an A8 S-Line? who knows; we've enjoyed S8's here and there is almost certainly a market for them. TT S-Lines? Why not? New A or Q "7" in S-Line (why not?) and finally another allroad (or was it just a tease in Detroit?) -- why not an S-Line there.

S-Line seems to me to be a trim and handling package (spoilers, badges, wheels, tires, suspension tweaks) more than a brute force cybernetics package.

What is currently very interesting to me is the answer to the question: "will there be a 2006 A4 3.2 S-Line with a manual and/or DSG transmission?"

The S cars are usually S-Line plus more go and stop bits (more HP and torque and bigger, better brakes.) And, finally the RS cars are the maximum performance cars for those with lots of discretionary income. The RS6 was over $80,000 and wasn't even chock full of the lux bits that even base line US bound A6's seem to have -- but oh the engine and suspension and performance. . . .
  • bmwcccbmwccc Posts: 234
    Mark

At this point, that is the only answer I am interested in hearing about. If and when will there be a 2006 A4 3.2 S-line with DSG.

When someone finds out that answer, please let me know!

Thanks
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    We've been wandering around all things Audi lately, but we need to remember that this discussion is specifically about the A6.

There are other discussions about the other vehicles that keep coming up ... you should be able to find them with the search features, but of course I'll be glad to help if I can.

Let's let this conversation get back to the A6 now - thanks.
  • bargamon1bargamon1 Posts: 110
    Pat,

The conversation is relevent as we are not discussing the A4 specifially, but as an alternative to those whom desire a straight drive a6, but cannot get one at this time.

I understand the point, but find Edmunds to be ever so more restrictive each year. I have not participated for some time, and am surprised that just the mere mention of a different model in the course of conversation requires any amount of intervention!

It is a very nicely run conversations by the way, and we appreciate your intention.
  • Does anyone know if you can install a Bluetooth system in a 2003 A6 that already has the old phone system in it?

Thanks,
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Well, the thing is that we have a dedicated Sedans Comparisons board that exists just so we can let folks who want to match up vehicles do so. That allows us to also have a place where folks who are not interested in comparos talk about just one vehicle. And if you'll look back, you'll see it's not the "mere mention of a different model" that prompted my post; we've been talking about lots of vehicles other than the A6 for some time now.

The Comparisons board has existed for four years or so, so this isn't something new we are instituting. Why don't you drop me an email if you'd like to discuss this further.

Why don't you - or anyone interested in pursuing specific comparisons to the A6 - follow that link and fire up whatever seems appropriate. Then I'll post a link here so that those who are interested in continuing the comparos can join you?

That would be the best course of action at this point.

Thanks!
  • jgainesjgaines Posts: 39
    I have a nextel blackberry 7520 with bluetooth. It interfaces with the 2005 A6 MMI and the MMI even shows the bluetooth symbol when connected, but then the screen says please wait . . . . like forever. Callers can hear me but I can't hear them and the screen never changes. Any thoughts.

Alternatively, I would gladly purchase a cradle. Where are you seeing them for sale and any idea if they have them for a blackberry. Thanks.
  • jeqqjeqq Posts: 216
    I was told they don't have cradles for my phone and no ETA. I have a motorola verizon V710. When I get a similar message I have to re-pair my phone to the car, which happens almost every time I leave and return to the car. Are you sure you are pairing it correctly. Maybe someone else on the forum has the same phone and can help you.
    I found this link on Audi BT but maybe it's outdated

http://www.audiusa.com/common/images/bluetooth.pdf

I don't see your blackberry listed
    The pairing proceeds normally with both the phone and MMI indicating a successful pairing. The weird part is that when a call comes in the car's ringer can be heard and the caller can hear me, but I can't hear them or do anything else. On the MMI, the message "please wait" is shown and the rest of the "soft keys" are gray, ie. inactive. Each time I get in the car the phone asks whether I want to pair with the Audi, and if I click yes, the above happens and I can't use my phone normally so I have been disabling the blue tooth. Anyway, thanks for the input maybe Audi or Nextel or Blackberry can help. It is frustrating to be so close to success, but I love the car in any event.
    I agree, car is great. Verizon and I guess Blackberry is frustrating. I think I recall others with blackberrys also having trouble, while other phones work seamlessly. What a waste of space and money to use a cradle when the concept of BT means wireless connectivity. For those who want to better understand why Verizon crippled the V710's BT capabilities here's the link below.

http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/v710.html
    are you Blackmailing?
    I have read about the new A6, and seen many a picture.....but this morning I bought my car in for service and sat in a new 4.2 with gray interior. WOW! Seeing the car up close it did not look as big as the pictures suggest, but looks just right! The fit and finish in the interior was incredible!

I spoke with manager of the dealership and he seemed to think that they really have not tried that hard to push the car. they have a few in the lot now and he said to look for the introdution and advertising to kick in. Audi has all new people at the top in regards to the marketing area now. I asked him about leasing and he said the higher money rates are not helping. I mentioned that higher MSRP BMW'w lease for less, but he said that Audi would have to do somthing about it. They have a ton of A4's on the lot, and had a few a6's.

They gave me a 2004 silver allroad 2.7t with tip. No lag experienced.
    Yes I e-mail from my blackberry. Do you think this may be part of the problem?
  • arcanearcane Posts: 1
    I was able to achieve full functionality by transferring my phone number list in my phone to its sim card and then sending the contents of the sim card to the car via bluetooth--in one shot. It works very well now--multiple numbers for each contact are displayed with a suffix--e.g., John Smith/O; John Smith/H; etc. I have a SonyEricsson T637. The dealer, who was otherwise terrific, did not know how to do it; they called Audi, and received no help there.
    Blackmailing--- That was my attempt to make a joke.

Try Arcane's suggestion, I think he has the solution.
    Yeah I am a bit slow tonight-it is probably the six hour attempt to drive home from my office (a ten mile trip) in what we try and call a snow storm in Raleigh, NC, i.e. 2 inches. The trip ended back at my office where I am sleeping tonight. In any event the one I like is Crackberry, due to the alleged addictive nature of the thing. I don't think I have a function which saves the info either in the phone memory of the sim card, although my old Moto phone did. Thanks anyway for the info.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,867

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    When are they going to test the A6 4.2?? I want to see some concrete performance numbers on that one.

I guess I'm being greedy and extremely foolish, but even though I just purchased a 2005 Mustang GT, I still want to shuffle some funds around and buy a new A6 4.2. It just feels like the thing to do. It's been a couple of months now and I still can't get it out of my head.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,515
    In case you have not see it, C+D tested the 4.2:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_- id=8776&page_number=4

- Ray

Thinking 14.8 at 97 constitutes at least OK numbers, given the AWD . . .
  • Don't know answer and am looking forward to the ones you get but will also be anxious to find out. Meanwhile, I switched to Verizon [good move after terrible Sprint PCS reception and dropped calls]. Also got new Motorola BT phone w/ BT earpiece, [combo mic/spkr. that works extremely well in car and "look Ma. No wires"..
    I ditched my blackberry after the nextel push to talk button broke off after a month. I ahve a Moto 710 which works very well right off the bat. It doesn't have to be repaired each time as some have found, but the car did not "copy" my numbers from my phone to its directory-not a big deal and unlike your Sony, there does not appear to be a function to copy the numbers to the sim.

Also I notice that the function on the car MMI and info screen for last number dialed and last call received show empty even after i have just dialed someone on the MMI. Again, not a big deal-i am extremely happy that when I get in the car, my phone works wihtout even having to take the phone off my hip.
  • . . .is over on the 300 forum for those who care.
  • Can anyone put me out of my misery...

I have an Audi A6 (2005) fitted with the Audi phone system (dealer got it wrong as I ordered Bluetooth prep!). My understanding is that this system is still Bluetooth i.e. the Audi phone. I would like to use my personal handset (Nokia 6230) to pair with the car rather than inserting the SIM card each time I enter the vehicle.

Is this possible ?

Help !
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    Thanks for the link. I had forgotten that I had read that one. But wasn't that one not quite a production model? They published 330HP/310TRQ, but Audi advertises 335HP/310TRQ.
    Would you be also leasing the Chrysler?

I understand the lease rates are bloated on the Audi, but the chrysler would not have any discount, nor the residual be as good.

The warranty on the 300 3 yrs, 36months?

I see the attraction, but are you willing to give up that german sophistication for a Hemi?

I pose these questions to you fairly as the above is part of the Audi Mystique.

THe best values are usually found NOT in the top of line super limited deluxe grand version, but in the lower end of a better car. For examble, the 300 would still have the same basic components as the rental car version selling for 24k. Adding amenities does not make the overall car better. THe Hemi will be a rush, no doubt, but overall, is it a better drive? For many many folks, its a good deal. They get the king of the hill mac-daddy version at a reasonable price. To do that in an A6 would put you over 60k.

IN the end, its thirsty, and its an automatic!

Its also interesting how we are acting like a "reality based show" in dealing with your car purchase!
  • It's all fun -- add this to the mix -- read the review of the M35 in the new MT magazine (where on a scale of one to six, the M35 scorec #1 and the Audi A6 #4) -- reading the article, it sounds like the M35 (which can be had w/AWD) has the gizmos of the Acura RL, an Audi-like interior, a BMW-like attitude and a competitive price and warranty package.

This, really is fun -- and frustrating. For some 27+ cars, NOTHING (IMHO) could touch the Audi overall.

There actually do seem to be contenders now.

And BTW, I appreciate and agree with the assessment vis a vis the Chryco 300.

Kinda like a whack upside the head! Thanks, I needed that.
    The infinity is a compelling package. The 6cyl has a low 6 second 0-60 time for the rwd. The ATM like dash/nav thing is not that cool, but the dark wood dash and appointments look nice.

ITs a shame your not 6 months or a year away from your decision as the market is now flooded with choice in the sub-50k segment. Amazing price point!

IN the end, perhaps they push Audi to be more aggresive on its pricing. FUnny, those Japenese offerings won't give you the manual tranny either, And I might guess the BMW awd won't be a stick either.

It is a good time for choices. I suppose you have to look at the Lexus also.

Doe anyone also have a 50,000 mile total care program? FLying Naked past 36k on a lease is scarey!

I gotta say, so far only the A6 thus far gets under my skin as the only "gotta have" based on looks and interior. But I have not driven any of these choices, and won't for another year until I am in the game.

Mark, as always, keep us posted!
  • kscctsksccts Posts: 140
    "FLying Naked past 36k on a lease is scarey!"

What do you mean by that?