Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• mpuzachmpuzach Posts: 635
    It's hard for me to think of any A6 4.2 as being "bare", even if it has no options. As for performance, if you can actually perceive that tenth of a second edge the Tiptronic 2.7T has in its 0-60 time, you're a better man than I am! Besides, what's the point? If 0-60 times are the main concern, no A6 should be the primary candidate; the cars are about so much more than 0-60 times.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the 2.7T; I get envious every time I see one while driving in my "lowly" 2.8Q. Especially if one wants a high-performance sedan with a 6-speed, there's nothing else that can touch it. I just disagree that its ability to get from 0-60 a tenth of a second quicker is a sound reason to buy it instead of a 4.2. Its available 6-speed, significantly lower price, availability without leather & moonroof, 3-person back seat, those reasons make sense to me.

By the way, speaking of performance chips, don't forget the other side. They add stress to the engine that it isn't designed for and can shorten the life of critical parts AND void the vehicle's warranty.
  • dwpcdwpc Posts: 159
    I think a 2.7T MSRP maxes out well below $50K with all options. The 4.2 pricing starts there. If mileage is a consideration, the 2.7T is economical (over 20 mpg) if you can keep your right foot under control. Can't imagine the 4.2 engine doing as well.
  • timcartimcar Posts: 363
    I have a 2.7T on order, but if money were no object, I'd take the 4.2. If $50K is your target, it should be no problem to bargain down to $50K for a very well equipped 4.2 An observation on Mark's nice idea of a 540ix; considering the way BMW prices cars, it is more likely to be the king of $65K cars.
  • rjsenrjsen Posts: 30
    I didn't mean to say that 0-60 times are everything. Obviously, cars like these are about much more than raw power. However, the primary difference between the 2.7T and the 4.2 is the engine, and in this department I don't see the 4.2 as having much of an edge. The only other differences I can think of are the back seat (not that the 4.2's is necessarily better) and the 4.2's availability with a heated steering wheel. I just don't see a different (though not really more powerful) engine and a heated wheel as being worth the additional expense. And either of these points pales in comparison to the 2.7T being available with a stick. Even if money weren't an issue, I'm not sure I'd the 4.2.
  • 314314 Posts: 2
    Just based on the three cars you mentioned, I feel that the Audi A6 would be the most fun to drive, day in and day out.
    The 2.7T has good power , some lag though, where the 4.2 V8 responds quicker, no turbo lag. If using 1/2 to 3/4 throttle the 4.2 feels smoother, it doesn't have that all or nothing acceleration that the 2.7T has. THey are about even to 60 and 1/4, 2.7T has more aftermarket options at this point. 4.2 has better exterior looks, while I like the backseat in the 2.7T better. A6 also has the 2.8 option with quattro. Less power but all the bells and whistles of the 2.7T.
    The MB and the BMW are nice, but I think 3 years from now you will still get a kick outta driving the A6.
    Not owning either, I don't claim to be the best-qualified person to compare the two. My limited experience, though, suggests that while both engines produce very similar 0-60 times, their personalities are actually quite different from each other. While a biturbo isn't nearly as susceptible as a single turbo, lag will always be present. It's inherent to the way turbochargers work. Some will find turbo lag to be objectionable, others won't.

While the 2.7T is a fabulous engine, for my buck there's nothing quite as sweet as a V8, and Audi's 4.2 is one of the sweetest V8s I've ever experienced. It has a smoothness, evenness to its power curve, immediacy in its response, and exhaust note that no 6-cylinder engine (turbocharged or not) can hope to equal. Add to that the A6 4.2's unique styling elements and it becomes a no-brainer for me. Make mine in 4.2-exclusive Nemo Blue, please!
    Well, it's clear that you have a real dilemma on your hands! I doubt that I'll be able to be of much more help to you in your decision process. From this point you'll have to rely mostly on your own judgement. I will, however, gladly share a few more thoughts; hopefully, they're of some help to you.

Just last week, I spent a lot of time looking at the new C320 at the San Francisco auto show. Now, you need to understand that I've been a member of the "Mercedes Benz admiration society" since my college days, so I was prepared to fall in love with the new C Class. Here's my take: They did a wonderful job with the car. Its styling suggests that of a miniature S Class, and that's a good thing. The car reeks of quality, and it's all Benz. Though I haven't driven one, I'm sure that it's a pleasure to drive. All in all, I really liked the car. Having said that, in my opinion it can't compete with the A6; it's simply too small. The car feels cramped to me, perhaps because I'm so used to the spaciousness of my A6. The C320 is especially tight in back.

There are other things, too. The interior, while certainly nice, pales when compared to that of the A6. Did you notice the C320's yellow instruments and interior illumination? The very incomplete instrumentation? In addition, heated rear seats are unavailable and the interior door trim has a cheap look to it. Personally, while the C320 is a very nice car in an absolute sense, I find that it competes more on the A4's playing field than it does on the A6's.

As for the Lexus, it's also a tough car to find fault with. Perhaps that's its biggest drawback, though. It's SO smooth, SO mannerly, and SO civilized that it can easily be considered boring. In my opinion, there's nothing "sporty" about it; in fact, I kind of regard Lexus as the "Buick" of the Japanese brands! If that's what you want, then the GS may be perfect for you; if you want a car with some soul to it, though, I'd stay away from Lexus. Another thing about the GS is the instruments. The "Timex Indiglo" look would wear on me before too long. On the other hand, Audi's white on black dials with red pointers are fabulous, among the best in the industry. The same can be said for the rest of the Audi interior.

Regarding turbochargers, other than strict adherence to the factory oil & filter changing schedule, they require no additional maintenance. Pretty much the only special treatment they require these days is a minute or so of cool-down after hard driving before shutting down the engine. For what it's worth, I also own a '92 Volvo 940 Turbo. It has 255,000 miles on the original turbo, and it still blows strongly. Like you, I maintain the car exactly in accord with the manual, and it seems to be paying off.

As for long-term reliability, I think all of the cars you're considering are safe bets. Keep in mind that they're all highly sophisticated and complex; any of them can develop one or more serious problems, but it's unlikely that such problems can be predicted. While I don't personally believe that they represent a good value, extended warranties can provide peace of mind and you may want to consider one regardless of which car you decide on.

At the risk of repeating myself, I offer one other suggestion: Given the high quality of the cars you're considering, forget for a moment things like warranties, depreciation, anticipated reliability, price, and availability (wait time); instead, consider, for the moment, ONLY which car you like the best. Consider those things about the cars themselves that matter to you; those things probably include styling, comfort, power train performance, handling, features, overall feel of the car, and (this is a big one) how you feel inside when you drive it. My hunch is that, upon doing this little exercise, one of your contenders will emerge a clear winner. In my case, following this process resulted in a slam-dunk for the A6. I ordered in late January, waited quite impatiently until early June, and then took delivery. NEVER since getting the car have I wished for anything else. I hope that you end up as happy with your upcoming decision, regardless of which car you choose.

Good luck, and let me know if I can be of further help.

- Mike
  • To Mike (mpuzach)
    Thanks for the advice. I saw a Silver/Onyx 2.7T in our parking lot (visitors) at work. It looked great. I am just going crazy over this car. I WILL hunker down this weekend and decide. The wait time is critical for us because my wife doesn't feel happy driving our 929S (still in repair!). So getting a car NOW is the other factor we have to taken into account. Thanks for your input once again. I will keep you posted.
    merwanirani
  • You may want to consider the Lexus GS430. I know a dealer here in San Diego is doing $1600 over invoice, so the price fits within range of a 2.7T and its other competitors. The lexus has the vest v8 of the lot. I have test driven the A6 4.2 & 2.7T. The Lexus v8 is has much more torque, and you can feel it at any speed. It has the best engine hands down. However, the seat is something else. It offers little to no support. Audi has the best driver seat, better than BMW and Merc. But some people find the seat just fine.... I ordered an A6 2.7T, but I can't get the GS430 out of my mind. It has great handling with the 17 wheels. The instrument panel is different, that's for sure, but the Levinson audio is a cut above the rest. It makes the Audi Bose radio sound like junk!

When considering automobiles of this caliber, the decision is very hard. Here is my summation of what I have looked at...

Audi 2.7T A6
    Awesome handling, very comfortable seat, nice instrument panel. Boring exterior styling. Engine has lag, not the most powerful.

Adui 4.2 A6
    More serene ride, as heavier car. Handling not quite as good as 2.7T. Great smooth V8, but not as torquey as the Lexus V8. Aggresive styling, and $6200 off MSRP for a year 2K if you can find one with a color you like.

Lexus GS300
    BORING

Lexus GS430
    Awesome powerplant. Aggresive styling. Interesting instrument panel. Awesome radio. Seats are the worst! With L-Tuned suspension upgrade, handles like a BMW 540.

BMW 540
    Expensive, dealers are not discounting this car. Expensive! Seats are ok, engine is ok, instrument panel is old, has not been updated for many years. This model is due for a change in 2002. Expensive!

Merc.
    I have not driven this one. I would compare with the 430 series, but perhaps this may be rather expensive and completely out of the league.

As you can probably tell, I'm debating between the A6 2.7T and the Lexus GS430. Both can go fast, but the GS430 has much more life in it after 60 mph. If you want a quick sprint to 100 or 130mph, the Lexus can do it very fast. The audi can't. After 60mph, the A6 2.7T lacks the torque to push you into the seat.

As for comfort, the Audi A6 wins easily.

As for handling, even with the L-Tuned sport package in the Lexus, I think the 4 wheel drive is a definate advantage around hairpin turns. So Audi wins here, but not by much.

Resale value: Lexus GS 430 easily. JD Powers has given Lexus many awards for quality. Consumer reports loves Lexus, and hates Audi. JD Powers does not favor Audi at all. The posts regarding A6 reliability are not very convincing. There are problems with the turbos, transmission, drivetrain, wind noise, vibration, etc.... Nothing bad seen about the Lexus.

Value: Lexus. Dealers are dealing on both cars from what I have seen. About $1500 to $2K over invoice appears common. Lexus will cost you a little more, but the resale will be much higher as seen with the selling prices of used GS 400's.

Anyway, I have a 2.7T on order, probably another 3 months before I see it, and the Lexus GS430 keeps calling....... I just can't stop thinking about it. If money were not an issue, I would buy both.
  • Edmunds lists Audi TMV as $37,061
    GS430 TMV as $45K

That's a bit of a stretch to see if they are the same. Resale will probably be better than the Audi, unless Lexus changes the engine again. Check the resale on a GS400 two years from now. The new GS430 model will most certainly have given the GS400 resale a whack. Cancelling/replacing a model always immediately reduces its resale.
  • My two cents:

I owned a GS400 for two years, and am picking up an Audi 2001 A6 4.2 next week in Cincinnati. I looked at the 540i, and drove a new GS 430. I didn't look at the Mercedes. There is no question that if you only look at dry pavement numbers for performance, the Lexus is the best value. I can't explain why, but I became bored with the car more quickly than any other I have owned. I don't think that will happen with the A6. Much more distinctive styling, better interior, many more safety features than the Lexus. The BMW was too small, too stark on the inside, and there is a big difference in trunk space. My feeling was that the car rode too rough for an everyday four door sedan, although I know some would argue I must be getting too old.

I am paying cash for the car, and did get an
    almost fully optioned 4.2 (minus sport package, but with 17" wheels, and minus nav., but most other options, for $50K even or about $3K off sticker. I couldn't get that deal in the state I live in currently. The fact that I also own a '00 C5 corvette convertible that I can drive when I want to accelerate quickly and feel most inconsistencies in the road also made the decision easy for me. I believe if the car is maintained well it will last as long and be as reliable as any other German sedan.

some final comments on why I paid the extra over the 2.7T.. front end styling, the lack of good looking wheels on the 2.7 (I know this could be remedied with aftermarket wheels), and the more consistent feel and road presence of the 4.2 over the 2.7. I can't explain it, but it felt bigger, stronger and more stable than the 2.7. Bottom line, all the cars mentioned are great products, it is just a matter of personal preference.

Jack
  • Merwan, Thanks for the LA Dealer recommendations. I actually drove the A6 at Rusnak. I am trying very hard to keep to my under 40K comfort budget and feel like I'm 80% there in making the A6 2.8 my car of choice. I was very pleased to see that the C-Class was on your list as I REALLY wanted to consider this car, but kept telling myself it was just too small when compared to the class of cars in my consideration set. And from the exchanges between you and Mike, my fears were correct regarding size. I just am really taken with the styling and dash design. I may still drive it before making my final choice, but 40K seems like a lot of $$ for an entry level car. Plus, it's a first year model with a long wait for delivery and no negotiating ability. However, your comments seem to indicate that I may have to wait for an A6 as well. If, so, please tell me what you've heard. And is it the case for a 2.8?

Mike,
    Several conversations ago you mentioned pics of A6 interior combinations. If the offer is still open, I would like to take a look at what you have. Let me know.

Thanks to everyone for the great exchange of information. It makes the whole process so much better!

Jim
  • Tim:

I agree, if ever there is a 540ix -- it will certainly be WELL over $50,000 and optioned out will certainly be, as you say, the KING of the $65,000 super sedans.

There actually seems to be more price wiggle room at the dealer for an A6 4.2, especially if they have a couple in stock, than there is on the 2.7T.
    Hmmm?

The exception I found was a 2.7T with a 6 speed manual -- the dealer said "big discount" apparently because there is so little demand for anything other than the 2.7T Automatic. More's the pity.

I love the price point of the 2.7T, but the 4.2 just "feels and drives" so much better!

I just took delivery of a 2001 A6 4.2 with Premium , Sport, Rear Air Bags, Navigation, factory Phone, Nemo blue w/Melange leather -- no CD changer. Good deal, good lease (Audi financial) and great ride (although the tires could be better, but this is a tiny nit to pick). This car is a blast.

The dealer in Cincinnati is Northland Audi -- FYI.
    I'm not surprised a dealer is willing to negotiate more readily on the 4.2's, but the story can be very different from salesman to salesman and dealer to dealer. I suspect you've already visited Edmunds' pricing info. As you can see there's a $4K to $5K+ margin on the 2.7T and 4.2, depending on options. When negotiating a lease recently, my leasing company (not Audi Financial) got two quotes. One was $1,700 over dealer invoice and the second was $1,100 over. Another poster closed a deal with the second dealer for $1,200 over a couple of weeks later. The prices were for 2.7T tips here in NJ, which is a pretty hot Audi market. So good deals can be had. I think it is a matter of knowing what the going rate is, and finding a dealer/salesperson who really wants the sale.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    I saw the Nemo blue A6 4.2 with grey interior on their showroom floor. It was GORGEOUS!!!
    The offer regarding pics is absolutely still open. I'd be only too happy to share what I have with you. The most common 2001 A6 interior color combos, Tungsten Gray, Satin Black (Onyx), and Melange leather are very easy to see in person at any dealer; since you've already visited Rusnak in Pasadena I assume that you've seen them. In addition, I can show you pictures of Vanilla/Royal Blue, Maroon/Black, and Tungsten Gray cloth. If you need to see Vanilla/Satin Black, let me know and I'll see what I can dig up.

Do you have the '01 A6 brochure? If not, I can also provide you with any info you may want regarding standard equipment, options, available interior/exterior color combinations, etc. Just send me your e-mail address and a list of the information you want, and I'll get on it for you.

By the way, I visited Diablo Audi in Concord (northern CA) today and spoke with Ernst Gosch (the no. 1 producing Audi salesperson in the country!). They have at least 20 new A6s in dealer stock, according to my count. They have many 2.8s, several 2.7Ts, and at least a few 4.2s. Colors include melange, Ming Blue, Light Silver Metallic, Brilliant Black, Cashmere Gray, and Racing Green. If by chance you're looking for an A6 in So. Cal. but can't find one that meets your needs, you might try calling Ernst at Diablo. Otherwise, if you want to e-mail me with what you're looking for, I'd be glad to check around up here for availability.

- Mike
  • I really LOVED my ES300. It is really a bargain for the overall quality of the car and the great dealer service. I sadly sold it because the crappy driver's seat was KILLING me! NO support! After 10-15 minutes I was fidgeting constantly, my right leg was aching. No thigh or lateral support!

I bought a Solara to bide my time waiting for the 2.7 T to come out. The Solara is from the same Toyota parent as the Lexus, but has GREAT seats! The seat bottom is fully 4" longer with 3x the tilt for great comfort. Lexus is really dropping the ball on this one. I looked at the GS and even the LS and they have the SAME crappy short seats!

I agree the GS430 is a gem, but if you are considering one, be sure to drive it for 30 minutes or longer first - you may be really sorry later if you don't!

I had 4 Audis in the past, and can't wait to get into another one. Thanks Mike for all your constructive information.
  • I drove both the 2.7T and 4.2 again this morning at another dealer in San Diego. The 2.7T did not have sports suspension, so the seats were terrible! The ride was noisy but power was ok.

The 4.2 did not have sports package either, but had gray seats of different caliber, and felt very good and comfy. The handling was pretty good, considering the larger tires. The power upto 80mph seemed the same, but smoother than the turbo. I preferred the smoothness and sound of the V8, and also the ride was smoother, and more quiet. I ruled out the turbo and now my choices are either a 4.2 Audi A6 or the Lexus GS 430.

Eventhough the seats in the Lexus are unsupportive, they could easily be bolstered up by a good upholstery shop, for less than a few hundred dollars. Provided this was accomplished, the seat would be much better.

I still felt the Lexus had a better ride due to the quietness of the cabin at freeway speeds, and the much better radio, the Levinson. The Audi Bose pales in comparison to the Lexus Levinson Audio Package.

Considering the facts above, I am very torn between the two cars. If I purchase the Audi 4.2, I can still get $6200 off MSRP on a 2000 model. THe price will be around $46K. Lexus pricing will be around $46K to $48 depending on options. But, add the price of the L-Tuned suspension and steering upgrade, $1200, and upgrading the seats, $200, and the car starts to be more expensive.

The Audi 4.2 is NOT as powerful as the Lexus and strains past 80mph, where as the Lexus pulls strong to 100mph. However, 99.9% of the time will be spent at 65mph or less! But in the rare instance we want to have some fun, it is nice to know you can get to 100 pretty quickly.

I think I need to drive the 4.2 again. It is a pretty good deal, looks aggresive, seats are great, engine is ok, not great, but smooth.
    Something must have been wrong. My 2.8 doesn't even do that. I've only had it to 100 or so (chose to back off after that) and it was still pulling strong. The 4.2 ought to have plenty of guts well past 120.
  • It gets to 100 in 14 secs or something? Only takes 40 secs to get to 137mph top speed.

I can't imagine the 4.2 backs off too much.
  • I have had one A8 (V8) and two A6 4.2's (V8). I have EXTENSIVELY driven several S4's (Turbo V6, same as 2.7T A6, and my wife has a 2001 TT 225hp coupe). I can induce some turbo lag in the TT, by "improper" gear selection, I had no problem in the S4's (stick shift). My A6 4.2's both had or have 5 speed Tiptronics, my A8 (1997) had a five speed automatic (non-Tip).

I have driven all the cars mentioned above at speeds above 110mph -- I have also accelerated them "strongly" from street legal to autobahn speeds. I have never noticed anything I would consider a "back off." Heck, my 1999 A6 2.8 quattro, while no dragster, was strong and capable at legal and autobahn speeds. It just took a bit longer to reach any given speed when compared with the V8's or turbo engines.

None of this is meant to contradict the GS430 statements, per se. It appears that the GS430 does accelerate more quickly (all the car magazines report this consistently). My statement is only to question and argue the point that the Audi engines "back off." I have no experience that would validate that; and, I have read no reviews or reports that suggest Audi engines "back off." Please try another test drive.

Whew!
    I didn't order the sport suspension in the 2.7T because THOSE seats aren't comfortable for me. I'm a bit wide, and the standard seats are very comfortable, while the sport seats pinch my shoulder blades.
  • Given the end of the year, I'm looking at some leftover A6 2.8 '00 models and am trying to decide whether to get a better discount on them or go with the '01.

As far as I can see, the only major difference is that the '01 has a longer warranty. Does it also have full scheduled maintenance while the '00 doesn't? This is a point I'm confused on. Given the discounts I'm seeing on the '00, is the longer warranty/maintenance worth the price?

Also, they stopped making the stick for the '01 2.8. To get that, I have now have to go to the '01 2.7T. Is that price jump worth it?

I like the feel of the car and do 20k/yr of mostly highway driving. 0-60 times are not that important to me so I didn't really look at the 2.7T.

Anyone with thoughts on the subject?

thx
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    The additional warrenty is of no value to you if you drive 20K miles / year. In both cases you will be out of the warrenty period in less than 3 years.
  • Thanks for your response. I do have a '01 brochure, but not pics of the vanilla/royal blue combo. If possible, would like to take a look as that combo seems hard to find at a dealer. My email is jim3039@hotmail.com.

Also, from what you've said, it sounds like I should have no problem finding a '01 2.8 when I pull the trigger next month.

Thanks for all your help.

Jim
  • If you live in a high car theft area (the Northeast), you want the immoblilizer. It makes the car very close to impossible to steal.

Otherwise, I'd go for the 2000.
    In addition to what's already been mentioned, here are some differences between the two model years:

- Warranty AND factory-paid scheduled maintenance were 3 yrs./50000 miles on 2000s; both increased to 4 yrs./50000 miles for '01.

- Electronic Stabilization Program (ESP) std. on '01 2.7T, 4.2; opt. on 2.8. N/A on 2000 models. (I've not driven an ESP-equipped car, so I can't comment on its effectiveness.)

- 2000 models with memory seat (part of Convenience Package) have driver-only memory feature. '01 models so equipped (Premium Package on 2.8, Preferred Luxury Package on 2.7T, std. on 4.2) also includes front passenger seat memory.

- For '01, Andorra Red is available on 4.2 only (available on all 2000 models).

- Jaspis Green (available on 2000 2.8 & 2.7T) dropped for 2001.

- Royal Blue "Ambiente" interior, available on all 2000 models in leather or leatherette with Casablanca White and Light Silver Metallic, dropped for '01. (Vanilla/Royal Blue leather is still available on '01s.)

- Lago Green "Advance" interior, available on 2000 2.8 & 2.7T in cloth or leather with Jaspis Green or Light Silver Metallic, dropped for '01.

- Nemo Blue introduced as a new color for '01, available only on 4.2.

- Sideguard F+R head airbags optional on all 2000 models, std. on all '01s.

- Some 2000 2.8s with the Preferred Equipment Package (leather seating, power moonroof, HomeLink, heavily discounted vs. individual selling prices) came through with compact spare tires. As far as I know, all '01s have full-sized spares.

- '01 2.7T has more available Sport Packages than in 2000, including one with 17" wheels.

As for the 2.8 vs. 2.7T, here are my thoughts...others may disagree. Whether with the 2.7T-exclusive 6-speed manual or the Tiptronic, the 2.7T is without question a high-performance luxury sedan. It has fabulous acceleration and leaves little to be desired in its driving experience. Those who own them love them. If properly maintained, there's no reason to believe that the 2.7T is any more prone to failure than the 2.8. Sure, if the turbos die and need replacement, you'd be looking at a big bill, but my understanding is that Audi's turbos can be reasonably expected to last as long as the rest of the car. In addition, the 2.7T is available with Sport Packages (several unique combinations of upgraded suspension, seats, wheels, and tires) that are not available on the 2.8.

The 2.8 (which I own, with quattro and Tiptronic), absolutely does not fly like the 2.7T. It does, however, perform and accelerate very nicely. You may have read others' comments about the 2.8 being "under-powered"; I've owned mine for 6 months and absolutely disagree with that assessment. It goes just fine! I've never been disappointed in the performance of the car, and I'm not always easy to please.

Now, if the rocket-like acceleration of the 2.7T is what you want, then you'll not be happy with the 2.8, no question about it. If money isn't an object, or if you don't mind paying roughly $4000 - $5000 more for a comparably-equipped 2.7T, buy it and don't look back. You won't regret it, as it's a FABULOUS automobile. On the other hand, if the extra $$$ puts the car out of reach or is too much of a stretch to be comfortable, get the 2.8. Nothing else on the market comes closer to the 2.7T than the 2.8!

By the way, as if you couldn't tell, ALL A6s are great cars. Regardless of which version you opt for, you'll be getting a car that puts a grin on your face every time you sit in it.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

- Mike
  • A lease on a 2000 will be more than a lease on a 2001 all things being equal.

An outright purchase on a 2000 will be less than the same for a 2001.

The 2000 cannot have ESP, it is available on the 2001 (and standard on the 2.7T and 4.2).

ESP, in my opinion is in the same league as ABS brakes and I would NOT get a 2000 for that reason, but then again I always lease, so the newer car generally is less expensive.

The 2.7T is fantastic -- acceleration is very strong. Yet, otherwise comparably equipped, the A6 2.8 Q, and the A6 2.7T Q would be hard to differentiate at 80MPH on a freeway. Oh but there is that acceleration when you need it.

Drive them both, back to back. Make a choice, you won't go wrong.

That's my 2cents worth.
  • Thank you all for your ever thoughtful responses. As I have gone through the buying process, I read many of the previous posts on this site and found everyone's comments to be well reasoned and insightful.

I decided on a '00 A6 2.8Q w/ preferred equip pack, cold weather and Bose audio for $35,800. (Seemed like a fair price.) The 2.7T is more engine than I need since 0-60 is not that big of a deal to me. I could not justify the extra $4k.

I live in the Boston area and based on previous posts going back several weeks I wish to offer a couple of comments on Bernardi (where I didn't purchase the car). The observation I have about them is that they are a very busy dealership due to their location and don't give a good 'casual buying experience'. Getting a salesman's undivided attention was tough so when I called around for '00-s I was not surprised that they said they had been out for a couple of months. I'm getting rid of a Subaru and had it serviced at their Subaru dealership which is next door. They did good, but pricey, repair work at the Subaru shop and I'll probably try them for my Audi maintenance.
  • Help. I was just at a dealer who told me first, that I could not get a 2.8 with the multi-function steering wheel, then after I insisted that it could be ordered, claimed that they only became available in the 2.8 in '01 and that I would need to wait 3-4 months for one! Is this ture? Has anyone out there heard similar stories? I doubt the dealer a little, because they also did not realize the 2.8 was available in Vanilla/Royal Blue interior.