Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• bargamon1bargamon1 Posts: 110
    Would it be asking too much to give some details on your deal?

Since this is an Audi site, we Audians want to stay if we can. You give us hope!

All things being equal, I would prefer the Audi without even a test drive of anything else.

I would hate to take a test drive knowing now what I know about taking a test drive.
  • richcreamrichcream Posts: 205
    "All things being equal, I would prefer the Audi without even a test drive of anything else."

You would be depriving yourself of driving a great machine (M35x).
    Then again, this would probably make getting the A6 (the 3.2, anyway) easier, as you wouldn't know what you'd be missing out on with the Infiniti.

It's funny because an Audi salesman I had been dealing with just called me 25 minutes ago and I had to tell him that if I'm getting anything anytime soon, it's gonna have to be the M35x. I felt like I was dumping a college girlfriend or something: "I'm sorry Lloyd, but the 3.2 just isn't fast enough for me. It has a great interior and a quiet ride, but the M35x is just, well, better. Don't worry, you'll sell plenty of them.....no Lloyd, we've been over this before, the S4 is too small for me. Lloyd, I gotta go. Good luck." :P
  • I don't have all of the details handy, but here are some of the basics:
    Audi A6 3.2 w/MSRP of $53,020.
    Included Prem, Conv, Cold, Parktronic, Sat Radio, Navigation, 18" wheels, Adv Key, Voice Recognition, Premium leather (amaretto).
    Nothing down (except 1st month and fees totaling about $1,600).
    36 months, 15K miles.
    Monthly payment = $699. which includes 6% NJ tax.

I know the M35 is faster, but the A6 is plenty fast - certainly fast enough for my real-world driving. The M is impressive, but the A6 just seemed to "fit" better. It has a few things in its favor that were not insignificant to me: larger trunk (with full size spare), split fold-down rear seats, maintenance included, somewhat better mileage, and longer wearing tires. I also think the Audi heated seats are excellent - they get warm very fast and offer more settings (when I test drove the M, the heated seats didn't seem to get warm - at best they take a while).

I also found I like the Audi gauges better than the M35, and the folding, heated, auto-dimming side view mirrors are nice. While many people are concerned about Audi reliabilty and service, my experience with the allroad was excellent, and that wasn't an issue for me. The car is beautiful - inside and out. It is fast (enough), extremely comfortable, quiet, and solid.

It is missing a few of the M35 features (LDW, backup camera, 5.1 DVD-Audio), but overall these were not an important consideration. Sometimes, it's the intangibles rather than the specs that help make the decision.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,088
    The last time I checked, end of March, such a deal in Cincinnati would have been possible either with money down and/or limiting the lease to 10K miles per year.

This is a great deal (at least as of April) -- but I'm too late, Inifiniti already has my money. This is EXACTLY the kind of deal that would have kept me in an Audi.

At least this is what I tell myself. I do like the look and feel of this A6, despite a "wish" on my part -- that wish is for a bit more torque and/or a slightly quicker accelerative time to highway speeds.

If this is the type of deal that is widely offered by Audi, this ought to be bettering BMW, Infiniti, Mercedes, Acura and Lexus based on my now 15 day old research.

Congrats. I hope I am feeling this good about my M35x a couple of months from now (after I pick it up).
  • jhutchinsjhutchins Posts: 15
    Richcream,

Although I know you decided not to go with the Audi, I thought I would still respond to your old note about my early thoughts on the A6.

We have had our Audi 3.2 for about two weeks now, which is only enough time to give very preliminary thoughts. So far, our experience has been great. My wife and I both love the car. The ride and handling are about as firm as I would like without the sports suspension – I am glad we didn’t get it. The acceleration is smooth and certainly substantial enough for my driving. The car seems incredibly solid and refined on the road, especially at higher speeds (70-90 mph). I find the cabin to be excellent at keeping out road noise or other NVH. The ability to set a speed warning is actually useful here, because otherwise you would find yourself cruising along at 90-plus all the time on the highway. The doors provide that very substantial and satisfying “thunk” when closed.

I haven’t had any problems with the MMI, but I also haven’t used a lot of its advanced functions. (Although we did go through with the dealer when we picked up the car and set the various – dozens, it seemed – of customizable settings for the car). I am thankful for the useful steering wheel controls that allow you to bypass the MMI for the radio. (I haven’t really used the voice activation yet, so I can’t comment on how useful/convenient it is). I also really like that the display between the tach and speedometer displays things like radio settings and directions from the nav system, so you don’t have to look at the big screen in the central console while driving. (I turned off the voice associated with the nav directions, which I found to be irritating).

I love the large back seat, and the well-executed integrated rear window shades. (Since we have a baby, we wanted a big back seat for the baby seat, and the integrated window shades to keep the sun off the baby.) The small back seat in the RL was one of the main reasons we did not really consider that car after our initial test drive. The large trunk is also great.

I also like the keyless entry system for its convenience in locking and unlocking the car, although using a button to start and stop the car still seems very foreign to me. I keep forgetting to press the brake before hitting the start button, and I am not used to hitting the stop button twice – once to turn off the engine, and then holding it for a second time to turn off all of the accessories. I also am not used to hitting the MMI button after I start the car to turn off the disclaimer screen. I expect that this will all become second nature soon enough.

I still am playing around with the driver’s seat to get the most comfortable position for me. I haven’t got it exactly right yet. I love the upgraded leather on the seats, although I can see how some people would want more lateral support in the seats themselves (I will not be performing any slalom testing on a day-to-day basis), and the sport seats may well be a good option for them. I love the tactile feel of the steering wheel. The various compartments for storage seem to be well placed and easily accessible, although I don’t know how often I will want to put a big gulp in the cup holder right in front of the MMI - it seems like that would be a potentially expensive spill if I had to slam on the brakes. (Right now, having any food or drink in the front seat of this pristine car seems like heresy). I also think that having the CD changer in the glove box is a bit of a misstep.

All in all, I would agree with the ultimate conclusion of the recent C&D review – with so few flaws, I can’t imagine ever regretting buying this car. By the way, I love the exterior styling of the car, which, if you don’t like it, is the only reason I can see not to very seriously consider dropping your $50K on this car, particularly if you want/need AWD.

PS - I haven't noticed that the footspace in the passenger side seemed cramped.
    Patience is a virtue. I am surprised with 4 months to lease end you would be so quick to jump out.

Im sure you'll be happy in the M!
    Your right on with the equipment I would get.

Funny, I love gadgets, but hate paying the bloated prices for them in Cars!

I am not talking down the M (this is not a M site anyway) but I agree with your view about the audi. Some cars are just more solid then others, and sometimes its just a certain feel one wants to attain.

The 0-60 in my 6spd allroad I believe is not all that great, but I find the power I need is not jumping off the line at a light, but from 20-30 mph to 60+. I think all these cars do a good job.

My allroad is fast, and I love it! I really like the Audi feel and provideing the value is there, I would just as soon re-up with them!

But I agree that if its not in line with other vehicles in same price range, I will not pay up a substantial premium. Now I don't know if the next 27 vehicles will be audi's, but when my number is up, I'll shop the numbers on a few cars, then test drive them only if Audi is not inline.

I find truth in all the statements and opinions offered. The M is a great car and seems like a good value. CincyMark, I'd have done simmilar to you, but waited some. I get to get my next ride in Sept of 06', which by then most of these models are in midlife. I do this on purpose to get good deals and get the bugs out. Nothing like a fresh model though, being the first on the block is great!

Good luck to those new M buyers, and welcome those new A6 buyers!

Happy motoring Y'all!
  • ctorreyctorrey Posts: 64
    $53k for the 3.2! Ugh! That's what my A6 4.2 MSRP's for in 2001! Sure there are some nice gadgets (my A6 didn't have Nav) in the new model, but the pricing is just getting out of hand. I guess the same can be said for BMW & MB (try pricing out a moderately equipped 545i or E500 - you're closing in on $70k in some cases). I'm curious to see how the market responds to the new German "cost structure" over time.

Enjoy your new Audi! I absolutley loved my A6 while I had it!
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    Well, you're comparing cars that are 4 model years apart. And your '01 4.2 did not have $3,000 worth of Navigation, advanced key, & voice recognition options.

You can get a nicely equipped 3.2 for about 47-48 grand without Navigation. Some of the options were not avaialable just a few years ago. An 04 2.7T was 46 grand, so the prices haven't gone up much.

The new A6 is bigger and better in every way. The pricing to me is reasonable and anywhere from $3-7,000 cheaper than simially equipped BMW's and Mercedes'.
  • ajaymeajayme Posts: 74
    After reading Mark's notes, I too am going to probably defect from the Audi clan. I had an '99 A6 which when the lease was up got an '03 A4. The A4 has been a great car but come the end of this year, I'll probably be looking for another car with a more realistic price tag and better resale/lease rates. I haven't made up my mind yet but since I have plenty of time things might change in the Audi camp with more attractive leases. I've driven the new A6 and really like it-we'' see. Best to you Mark, I'll follow your M35 exploits on the that board and see how things go.
  • nygalnygal Posts: 7
    So my oyster gray/platinum A6 3.2 is ordered and on the way for next week's delivery. Has anyone used the bluetooth feature and if so, what phone/service is working with it? I live in the New York City area.
    For the record, I have no intention of NOT following Audi over the next 3 years -- very closely. I may have gone with the Infiniti, but I am still a big Audi fan.

This isn't a divorce, its just a temporary reassignment -- I'll probably be back.
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180
    Verizon does not work very well.
  • irakliirakli Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have the same problem with my 1998 A6 Quattro: at very low speeds when sharp making turns I feel vibrations coming from the underneath. Audi dealership said it is normal, but I don't believe them. Did you find the solution? Please, let me know if you have any information.

Thanks.
  • irakliirakli Posts: 2
    My 1998 Audi A6 is vibrating when turning at low speeds. I noticed that if I do not push the gas pedal, vibrations either disappear or become non noticeable. The sharper the turn is the vibration is bigger. Local Audi dealership said it is normal for Quattro system. I do not think so. Any information would appreciated.
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    I really love the new Infinitis, and Nissan has had the biggest turnaround in the last few years of any other manufacturer. I have ridden in a G35, it is very impressive for its class... but still, I wouldn't be able to leave Audi. Until they make a G45X Convertible, I believe we'll be sticking with our S4 Cabriolet, the most beautiful car we've ever had. And, I think we'll stick with it after that, too. That's just me. I am now detachable from Audi. Audi has made the biggest turnaround in the last ten years than any other manufacturer. From accidentally accelerating a 5000 into a tree, they now can have you deliberately blowing by an M5 in an RS6. There's just something that Audi possesses that no other manufacturer has, and it's not explainable.

Infiniti makes beautiful new cars, but another reason I still wouldn't buy one is their quality. Sure, they have the typical reliability for Japan, and the new M has unmistakable style. But, their interiors just still don't seem quite top-notch. I think you'd notice that if you walked out of a Lexus RX330 and into an Infiniti FX35. The interior overall isn't as nice, including the materials, and I don't even have to say that Audi makes them better because Audi makes their interiors, dare I say, the best in the world. Their plastics aren't that nice and soft to the touch, and anything that moves in it moves with a harsh movement, save the pop-up NAV in the G35.

But that's just me. Audi has tons of qualities that Infiniti doesn't have, and vice versa. I think we shouldn't just say one automaker is waaaaaaay better and fight about it, but say that each one has its own great qualities, and one is better than all the others in its own way. Audi is the best for me, not everyone. "Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." - Groucho Marx
    I had a 2000 A6 2.7T, and mine was like a cloud when I turned it in. I'm guessing you have a 2.8, so why don't you ask the dealer if it's the engine that's causing this problem? We also have a '98 A4 1.8T, and it's vibrating, too. It actually could be just typical of older Audis. My son put a coffee-can exhaust on this A4, but it was vibrating before that. So, I think it is normal.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    I think Mr Healy is a bit over-dramatic about the MMI. It's a lot easier than BMW's I Drive. It's not that difficult to figure things out.
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    Yep...I'd avoid buying a car based on "heavy doors" and difficulty adjusting the clock for daylight savings! ;) It's those things that we car enthusiasts are most intent on knowing about. An overall useful review :P
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    In contrast to USA Today, The Washington Times article, also out today, finds the A6 to be superior to its competitors.

Kind of funny how so many mags/newspapers have such diametrically opposite opinions about this car. I guess it polarizes people...either you love it or hate it.

http://washingtontimes.com/autoweekend/20050421-010446-6929r.htm

:shades:
    I found both articles to be useful. The Times article seemed to be more of an Audi brochure, less comparison, less point of reference.

Accuracy? Neither one has that market cornered.

There were no excuses made at all by Healey. I do not know if he is highly respected or thought to be a hack -- I find him to be one of a "thousand" points of light.
  • The USA Today writer starts off in an angry, frustarted tone due to his difficulty changing the time on the dashboard clock (not sure why changing the time during a test drive is such a priority, but he was determined to make a point). He continues his MMI critique for 6 or 7 paragraphs. He also announces early on that the car is ugly - both front and back.

The MMI takes a little time to learn how to use, but not much more than Infinit's version (I was able to use both within a short period of time on test drives - not as big a deal as some writers claim).

The A6 does adapt quickly to your driving style, and the engine becomes more responsive and smoother (within weeks). I saw this also with the allroad 2.7T. After 50,000 miles that car felt faster and drove more smoothly as time went on.

The A6 is not perfect, but the article was overly negative in tone.
    Being a long term Audi fan and owner, I do agree the article certainly could be seen to be negative -- I don't know if it was overly negative. But I accept that interpretation is quite possible.

There are several (many) very positive write ups about the new Audi -- yet there are not many positive (in the final analysis) comparison write ups. Healey may have an axe to grind with Audi, he may be so totally biased his opinions should be taken with a grain. I have no clue about his biases -- he does state his opinions. He does put his comments in context.

I read the stand alone review of the new A6 4.2 AND the subsequent comparison review in Car and Driver. I had to reread the stand alone review after I read the comparison review -- I thought they must've had their head up their nose, as I thought they were in wild contradiction to one another.

Yet, when I reread the stand alone (apparently positive) review of the A6, I saw the "seeds" sown for its "not top 3" ranking in the subsequent comparison review.

Healey's "stand alone" article differs from some write ups in that he does offer up comparative remarks -- he had previously tested other "same class" cars and was able to discuss this in his article. Perhaps he should NOT have done this since this was not a comparison review (ostensibly).

I didn't focus, I hardly remembered in fact, on the MMI comments -- in fact I don't even agree with all the criticisms about such systems. Indeed, it blows me away that if you never tried one of these systems yourself and only were led by what you read, that you would think you can't even turn the radio volume up and down without multiple "windows like" iterative steps.

Yes, the Audi isn't perfect, but it has won so many accolades (this current car) so much recognition and has been so celebrated -- it is refreshing to read someone's opinion (and that is what it is) who is not simply regurgitating the company's press release.

From my point of view, I wish I would have seriously considered the 2004 Audi A6 S-Line or 4.2, for I am coming to the conclusion that the outgoing model still has much to recommend, much to say for itself.

The A6 3.2 is becoming, for me, a case of "The Emperor's New Clothes."

Healey, to his credit, sees the "underwear." I wish I had this prescience.
    That's pretty over-reactive, considering that the A6 was voted World Car of the Year this year, otherwise known as the best car in the world right now. I don't understand what's so ugly about it- sounds too opinionized for a serious newspaper. I think it's pretty drop-dead for a midsize sedan, thinking about the style of its peers compared to it. No comparison. The Audi is a very pretty car in my young eyes, and it's not perfect, but it's the closest to perfect an Audi A6 or its predecessors have been. It undoubtably beats the BMW 5 Series in every comparison test, except one from the British Car magazine that was testing diesels: The Jaguar S-Type 3.0D, the Audi A6 3.0 TDI quattro, and the BMW 530d. Of course, like always in that magazine, the Jaguar won plainly because it's British, and the Audi came in last because they like BMWs better. Geez, we're not that boastful about American cars, and yet, they think theirs are the best in the world. The only thing innovative about Jaguar is its dated styling. The XK is sort of getting long in the tooth, too. I think the only truly cool British manufacturer is Aston Martin, but Bentley is getting cool under Volkswagen's rule, too. Anyway, the A6 lost, and that was the only comparison test it ever came in last in, in its short life so far.
    You do remember, though, that in Automobile Magazine, the results were like this in a midsize, V8, luxury-saloon comparison test:

#1: Audi A6 4.2 quattro
    #2: Lexus GS 430
    #3: Mercedes-Benz E-500
    #4: Jaguar S-Type 4.2
    #5: Infiniti M45
    #6: Cadillac STS V8 RWD
    #7: BMW 545i
    #8: Acura RL SH-AWD

I may be over protective of Audi, but I'm just showing what's there. The two car comparisons are very alike, with the exception of having a 530i and E-350 in a group of V8 sedans (Why?), and, of course, the outcome. I wasn't surprised by the Infiniti's leadership there- it is an impeccable sedan. I think that, overall, though, the Automobile comparison is better, in the way it looks, the cars they used, and the sensible outcome they had. I might put the 545i in front of the STS, though.
    Style is always subjective to whom it pleases.

Mark, a fully pimped out 2004 4.2 vs. New 3.5 M? interesting!

I recall your original discontent was lack of manual tranny?

July is still so far away, too bad you jumped the gun! So many months, so many things can happen.

A few years back I wrote an offer on a post it note for a certain Mercedes and told the salesmen to stick it on his moniter, and the other (copy provided) for his sales manager. If they get to the end of the month and want to move a unit they should consider my offer. It was for one of the most common model configuration so I knew they would always have it in stock.

At month two they called me and said if I could consumate the transaction in 24 hrs I should come down, pick out a car, and pay by check, its a done deal. I had a client in my office at the time and he questioned what I was doing. I told him my deal and we called and asked if they could duplicate it! They were thrilled to move two units to make the month. Gotta be patient and understand the market. Supply and demand.

Now will I be able to do the same with a request for "Oyster gray with Ameretto leather??
    My discontent was and remains no manual. However, unlike my wife, I will settle for the auto. What other choice did I have? The Audi 3.2 and 4.2 and the previous 2.7T S-Line and 4.2 were all auto only. The new A4 3.2, at that moment, auto only. The new BMW 5 "X" not out, probably well over $54K, etc etc etc. The STS, with sport and AWD $63K?

The 300C AWD auto. Merecedes "4Matic" automatic, only.

I am one guy, and I can't vote for something that isn't on the ballot. And, a write in for a manual isn't possible. I didn't want us to have 2 X3's either.

The new BMW 330xi might have been ok, but so might have been the S4.

I wanted the size of the A6, or "M." I would've taken an A6 3.2 for the same money or a little more than I paid for the M35x -- no choice.
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Posts: 55
    "The two car comparisons are very alike, with the exception of having a 530i and E-350 in a group of V8 sedans (Why?)" I think the plain answer to that, as I believe was described in the article, was price. I'm looking for a new car in this sort of segment, was sort of sold on an A8, which I believe to be one of the world's great cars, but am rethinking because of price. I had my E320 in the shop at Mercedes the other day and walked through the lot. I think they've increased prices across the board (it seems like the SLs, Ss, and E's were increased several thousand $s since I looked last). I can't believe the premium they are charging for the Mercedes name. An E500, with nav / nice wheels / sunroof, was almost $65k list! For an equivalent A6 4.2, they are asking about $10k more, for a car that arguably is not any better (or as good??).

I sometimes think an E500 or 545 would be a good car to have, and they are nice, but when I look at the price, comparably equipped they're getting real close to a SWB A8, which is much more car. So I can see why the review put a limit to prices by including 6 cylinder cars from Mercedes and BMW.