Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,076
    I think the car is ready to go if it is the same one I had. You go to the dealer and pays your money and the 6 disc changer will be installed (total of 6+1 plus the cassette player).

I think the 01's also accept Phat Box or Phat Noise or whatever they call it (it is the same as 300 CD's in your trunk). One of the guys in my company has a VW wth this in it and it is impressive -- huge library of tunes.
  • tomleone1tomleone1 Posts: 4
    No Ivan_99 the parking brake was off.
  • bargamon1bargamon1 Posts: 110
    its consistant that 0-60 is very important to you.
    I have heard you mention it many times over the months.

IF need be to justify your expense by drag racing other brands to elevate your brand self esteem, then go for it!

I think too the Infiniti is a bit tacky and would gladly give up some Vroom Vroom boy racer time for the refinement. My 2.5 year old allroad has been flawless and it appears Audi is doing well!

Now thats not to say the Infiniti is not a nice car, it certainly is! If there exists a big price gap I might also give up some refinement for the wiz bang interior.

But lets not be so sensitive, this is a A6 forum and Im sure on the M forum y'all preaching to the choir and there are few "bashings" of other brands or prices paid.

IN this day and age of oil consumption I would really rather a Diesel, but then we got environment issues! I saw a new A6 2.4 recently in a central american country and in that world, its a big motor!
  • richcreamrichcream Posts: 205
    Yes, I suppose that I've been "consistant" throughout my posts that 0-60 capability in the $50k Luxury PERFORMANCE category is important to me.

I suppose we all justify our expenses in various ways. I would contend that I am less justifying my expense in purchasing the Infiniti, as I am justifying not purchasing the Audi. It's not that the M35x has neck snapping acceleration, far from it. It's just that, for the money, and for my tastes, the A6 3.2 was too slow. Sorrrrrrry.

With very few other exceptions, I liked everything about the Audi. And, with even fewer exceptions, I love everything about the M35x. As I recall, the reason I participated in this forum (as opposed to merely reading the 1 or 2 posts that appear on a biweekly basis) was in response to bondguy's apparently random bashing of the M35x in a thread dedicated to discussing various Audi interior color combos(?).

But thank you for assuring me that I have a "nice car", that you regard as a "tacky...boy racer" with a "wiz bang interior."

To each his own. As bondguy said, that's why there's chocolate AND vanilla (and 34 additional flavors last time I checked.)

Sensitivity is not my strong suit, so apologies to anyone whose vehicle I may have inadvertantly or excessively bashed. The A6 is a superb vehicle.
  • bargamon1bargamon1 Posts: 110
    FUn with words:

I too own a membership to a golf club.

One can join a club, but I love when members say "WE BELONG!"

That is shallow!

To replace my allroad, Im thinking an infiniti Fx35 for a hundred and fifty LESS than what I am paying now! Its not an allroad, but not bad for 25% less and zero down!

I hate driving the IT car. I hate large SUVs, hate the escalades, Lexus' are just ugly! Owning a 15 year old mercedes is cool, leasing a new one is not. Cayannes are cool, Mercury aviators are not. Navagators are tacky bling! CTS caddy is cool. Lincolns are not.

I agree with rich, Mark, and JamesBondguy: I love my audi, I want another audi, but I won't pay much more than what I am paying now!
    You hit me where I live! I too have a loverly Audi allroad and my first choice to replace it was "pretty much" a loaded A6 3.2. After more than a couple dozen Audis, I had the "routine" down of ordering, swapping out during the last 90 days and driving off in yet another better than the last one. Alas, my 2003 allroad, which at the time had an MSRP of $49K would be replaced by an A6 with an MSRP of $53K -- no biggie, I thought.

When all was said and done (and this happened with my wifes 2003 TT when she went to replace it with a 2005.5 A4 3.2) the two new Audis we wanted had fewer features, somewhat lower MSRP's but much higher lease payments than either BMW (my wife replaced her $42K TT with a $47K BMW and lowered her mo pay by $128) or Infiniti (an M35X at ~ $51K compared to an A6 at $52,770 was $200 less and $112 less -- per month, respectively -- than my allroad).

In both cases the Audi's content (features) was lower, performance was about equal or lower, yet we had a preference for the Audis.

The value proposition -- for the first time since 1977 -- did NOT favor the Audis.

The fact that the Audis, in my biased opinion, were superior -- and therefore worth more (slightly) notwithstanidng -- still could not persuade us to pony up an extra $328 per month.

I think the deals on the Audis may be improving (local newspapers) but the web site still makes me think that Audi pushed its way into the premium price class about a year or so prematurely.

I still am one of Audis biggest fans -- and those who have or are about to acquire any Audi product will not get a raspberry from me. My circumstances, my history and experiences with Audi (and I include my wife's too) are that "mine" (or ours).

I would love to have a silver A6 with Amaretto Sport seats and all the trimmings -- but, at this juncture, I just can't make the "value proposition" work for me.

My friends tell me I'll be back to German for sure and probably to Audi, next time.

Time will tell.
  • bondguy1bondguy1 Posts: 228
    I think it all matters what time of year you get your car and how much shopping you do. I know I told you what I paid for my A6 3.2 two weeks ago. Before I leased it, I had a few lease quotes that had a $100-$125 range in price per month for similar equipment. First, never speak to a salesman in a dealership unless you get the newest salesman there. I usually call ahead of my showing up and tell the girl upfront that I don't remember who I spoke with yesterday but that I think he was new. She'll volunteer to refer you to the "newbie" who the manager will do almost any short deal to help out the new guy...he wants him to learn how to work a deal from start to finish. Otherwise, always call and ask for the sales or general manager. This cuts out the middle step of another salesman. Work the deal with him and when it comes time to write up the deal, he'll put you with a salesperson. I used to sell cars many years ago and I was that newbie. By the way, I felt weird not looking at all my options out there like BMW. I have heard nothing but raving reviews of BMW's handling and performance. I just think the 5 series is so UGLY that it wouldn't matter if it had Porsche performance...I wouldn't get one. And, I don't just mean UGLY outside...inside is very bland and plain looking. I heard bad reviews of the new Lexus GS 300 too. Performance is lacking even though it has the same horsepower as the Audi 3.2 (255). The new Toyota Avalon (not in the same category even though it does have a 280 HP engine) wan't even a real choice. I really think when it comes down to a mid size sport sedan in the $50,000 range give or take a few thousand dollars, the only real choices out there are the Infiniti M series or the Audi A6. The Mercedes also, even though interior room is smaller (8 inches narrower in backseat room than A6). Also, people, don' t forget that the Audi also comes with all scheduled maintenance included for 4 years or 50,000 miles. Mercedes used to do that up until this last year. I would love to see Audi come out with a much larger convertible coupe based on the A6 bodystyle which would have to be much bigger than the A4 bodystyle.
  • pauldtpauldt Posts: 2
    I took delivery of my '05 A6 3.2 in April 2005. (The ‘05 replaced a 2002 A6 3.0 on a manufacturers buy-back. The 3.0 had too many problems to list-mostly engine, brakes, and electrical). One week after taking delivery on the ’05, I started receiving intermittent low battery indications on the MMI. This caused the MMI to shut down the third brake light and/or the alarm system intermittently.

The dealership’s mechanic was at a loss as the diagnostic computer did not reveal any clues as to what was wrong. He discussed the problem with a factory representative where they recommended replacing one of many, many modules but the problem persisted. The factory representative then suggested replacing a second module, which, so far, has done the trick.

Hopefully Audi will continue to improve upon the reliability of their automobiles, but until then, I wouldn’t recommend one. They are beautiful cars but based upon the experiences that my friends, family, and I have had, the Audi is far from reliable. If you must have an Audi, I’d recommend leasing one as it would be a very expensive car to own for the long term. My next car will likely be a BMW or of the Japanese variety.
  • pauldtpauldt Posts: 2
    Follow-up. . . With a whopping 1765 miles on the odometer, the interior lights have now stopped working! I checked all of the obvious problems and it goes back to the dealer next week.

Note to self: Never buy an Audi again!
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Posts: 55
    I hear all the "horror" stories about quality problems, and I think this is somewhat like the evening news. 1,000,000 planes landing safely is not news, but one crashing is. People are much more vocal when their cars are having problems, which is human nature. But for the record, my wife's 2002 A6 3.0 is going strong with 66,000 miles, with no signficant problems. The only issue is that the front passenger seat sqeaks when someones in it. Other than that it's been a trouble free car and a joy to own.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    I really hate that the drivers leather seat squeaks against the side plastic. The right lower portion of the drivers seat is just too close to the console.
  • ctorreyctorrey Posts: 64
    My '05 A4 actually has a felt-like substance attached to plastics that come in contact with the leather seats (e.g., seatbelt buckles). Maybe this is somthing Audi did in '05?
    Did you notice that the window glass, specifically the windshield and large rear window don't have rubber seals on the outside of windows. This is done to give it a flowing look. It gives the car a more complete look and just another little touch of the way Audi is concentrating on leading the pack.
  • Does anybody know how much less a demo should be? It's 2005 Audi A6 with about 4,000 miles. Has navigation, leather, premium, cold weather, 18" alloys.
    Thanks!

P.s. the sticker is $50,000 and they only want a discount of $2,000 - so $48 is this right?
    Well, that price sounds high. I leased a 2005 A6 3.2 that had a list price of $51,770 and I leased it at a price of $48,001. Brand new car! I have NAV, Premium Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Premium Leather, Sirius, Voice Command, 18" Wheels, Advanced Key. Even if it was new, the price should be better. Shop around. If you are in Florida or any state near and would like to know where I got mine, let me know. They were great to deal with.
  • I concur. That sounds high to me. I also go a much good deal on my $50K A6. Mine ended up at almost $3K less with a great money factor on the lease.
    I was at the Audi dealer yesterday picking up my car from service and one of the managers told me she saw the price list and options list for 2006 A6. They have gone up considerably and packaged the options differently so that a lot of things that used to be in a package are now separate options. Kind of how the Parktronic used to be in the Premium pkg in 02' and now it's a separate option. Headlight washers used to come standard on A6's and now part of the cold weather package. Oh well, glad I got my 05' already.
    Well, you are partially correct that the prices on the 06's are going up. Option for option, the cars will be about $1500 more expensive than the 05's.

But you've got in backwards as Audi is actually cutting down on too many individual options..... and making them a part of a larger package.

You won't be able to get parktronic or advanced key as a stand alone option anymore. You have to get the technology package which includes parktronic, advanced key, navigation, voice activation & sat. radio. The new technology package will be a $3800 option. You can still get DVD NAV as an $1800 option.

Base price of the new 2006 3.2 A6 is $43,970.
    Advance key? At the tender age of 53, I can actually tell you that I personally remember my parent's car -- sometime in the 1950's -- having a pushbutton starter button. The new cars from Europe and Japan seem to be rushing and gushing about "pushbutton start."

I understand the advances in that the key fob contains a transmitter and a chip that identifies "you" and can set the car to your preferences and so on. What I can't understand is the charge (when unbundled) of $750 for a starter button. I believe the new BMW 3's too may have this as an option. It seems to me if you can bring a car to market (as Audi has often done) with either a stick shift or an automatic (for the same money) you could offer "keyless" ignition for a lot less than $750 or however much of that $3,800 tech package is represented by the advance key.

What next, crank starters, for $1995?

What's old is new again, I get that. It just seems to me that keyless start versus a keyed start couldn't possibly "cost" enough even with 30% margin to be "worth" that much.

Having tested several cars with keyless ignition, I must admit it is at the very least, "cool." I am, as noted, old(er), but that just seems -- in this instance -- like a "gouge 'em" price.

This does not detract from the overall goodness of the new A6 -- but it is too conspicuous IMO as a revenue generator. Funny, voice activation, as I recall was a $350 option. My current Audi (a 2003) has the On*star voice activation system (which is less capable, I am led to believe than the new Audi's version) -- based on my experiences, I WOULD pay $750 for that for the ability to control the phone completely hands and eyes free and also for not having to "teach" the system to understand me vs my wife, for example.

Perhaps it is moot at this point but I could do without the advance key, but am finding voice activation a convenience and safety feature -- big time.
    I wish the Nav System had voice recognition as a standard feature. But you have to spend $3800 on the whole technology package to get voice recognition. But at least you can get Nav as a stand alone option in the A6.

I'm not too crazy about the advanced key. It's a cool feature, but I already like the way you barely have to turn the key in the ignition on the A6 and it starts up. It's very smooth.

I'm prone to losing my keys and always wondering where they are, anyway. Not having them in the ignition will have me always grabbing for my pockets (and elsewhere) to see where I put my keys.
    At least Audi makes it an option. If you don't want to pay $750, don't get it. On the Japanese cars, it comes with it standard ( which we know it's in the price). I like more so than starting the car that I don't have to fumble for a key at night or in the rain and can open my door without having to either put a key in the door or look for a stupid litlle remote. I would say the downside is what almost happened to me the other day. I was driving with my wife in the car and she dropped me off because we work very close to each other. I got out, she was taking the car and luckily for her, she remembered to get the key from me. Had she not, she would have a fun time at the end of the day starting the car without any key. I know when I get out of the car with the key in my pocket and car is running, there is a key picture on screen in center console.
  • richcreamrichcream Posts: 205
    "If you don't want to pay $750, don't get it. On the Japanese cars, it comes with it standard ( which we know it's in the price)."

Hmm, if the $750 is already in the price, that makes the Japanese cars even more of a bargain, no?

I doubt that the invoice has been bumped $750 for pushbutton start capability, though I suppose I could be wrong....maybe. I'd have to agree with the consensus that price gauging is in full effect.

How is your keyless feature doing? You had some issues with it - all better?
    I applaud the choice. I think the amount is so far off, it isn't funny. And, if the price of the "M" could be reduced by $750 without PB start, I know I would have omitted it from my option list.

My use of the key is so far down on my list of issues I have with cars, it isn't even on the list.

A heated steering wheel, as I recall, used to be $150 option -- that seems about right for the PB start too.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    Make sure it hasn't been damaged/repaired, check/ask for service records including any oil changes, then take MSRP minus $3000 (depreciation) minus .15/mile = $46,400 selling price OR MSRP minus 20% (depreciation) minus .15/mile IF over or close to being a year old = $39,400 selling price.

Most cars depreciate 60~65% off MSRP in the first 3 years of ownership, then 5~10% per year after that. Most first-line lending institutions won't even write loans on 5 year old cars, so this tells what kind of value you could expect at that time.

Example: My 2000 Audi A6 2.7T MSRP'd for $44,600. $44,600 x 60% ($26,760)= $17840 (2003) minus 5 % = $16,948 (2004) minus 5% = $16,100.60 (2005). $16000 is "around "what I may be able to sell this 77,000 mile Audi for now in 2005.The final sale price would probably be even less.

The bottom line is that $2,000 off an 2005 w/4000 miles is not near enough!
    Yes..It's real hard to tell which car you have. Yes, my advanced key is working now. Not to worry with Audi...everythings covered for my entire lease. By the way, how is your swirled paintjob doing on your black M? By the way, if you have an Infiniti, why are you in the Audi forum. Are you lost or do you just regret not getting the A6?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    There is no requirement that one own or be looking into purchasing any vehicle in order to participate in any discussion. Very many of us are interested in discussions on very many vehicles.

And that's exactly what we're here for, to provide that venue. :)
    I got my end of lease letter from the EVP of Audi -- I wrote him a letter in return. Wishing NOT to burn any bridges with Audi, I praised the car, the dealer and even the new crop of Audis.

I did inform Johan that my wife and I did not re up for new Audis and that it was perhaps the most difficult big ticket purchase decision we have ever made.

I still love the brand, but can't figure out the current marketing approach -- I asked for clarification.

Let's see what happens.

And I agree with the host, many of us have interests in a variety of cars. My decision NOT to go with the new A6 does not somehow suggest any critique of someone who did go with the new Audi.

Perhaps after 27 of them in a row, my perception, my decision stemmed from a different place. This doesn't mean I think my move would be appropriate for someone else.

Said it before: a big piece of me certainly will miss not having another Audi.
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    "Had she not, she would have a fun time at the end of the day starting the car without any key."

Actually, the car won't stop without the key. So, she'd have noticed it earlier, or the tank would be empty at the end of the day. :)
  • jeqqjeqq Posts: 216
    Too many variables with advanced key. I'm waiting for retinal or fingerprint identification to operate the car. Just got to remember to bring your eyeball or finger when you leave the house.