Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,088
    In terms of streets and roads, etc, living where we live, there are few issues. My wife has a new BMW with NAV, and it too is comparable.

I have not had the experience or pleasure of living with an Acura, Infiniti or Lexus GPS factory system.

I did think the Infiniti presentation system was superioir to the Audis.

Each and every year, I have noticed a reduction of available "attractions" in the databases. My 2001 system had more restaurants, for example, than my 2003 system.

My wife's system knows where our house is, the Audis knows the general area, our friend's Lexus is hopelessly undermapped.

The best presentation I have seen is with the Infiniti M's Bird's eye view capability. The easier to use system (easier than the Audi, at least) is Acura's (in the TL which I assume is similar to the RL's).

Since this is all subjective, I had to grade the thing based on having ONLY Audi and BMW systems to compare to. I do not claim this is objective, I only made a personal comparative statement and grade based on my narrow experience.

I would, however, think that having gone through so many systems since 2000, that our experiences are not entirely invalid.

Like I said, erudite banter (and debate)! :shades:
  • bargamon1bargamon1 Posts: 110
    Mark,

I have narrowed my obsession to the A6 and the X3.

The A6 cuz I am enthusiastic about the new lease offer.

The X3 need to upgrade the interior. Its nice, but not "audi" nice.

Crossed off the M35 and the FX35. Reason, it does not have that German MOJO!

Just looking at the M35 tells me its missing. It tries to hard to attract with the glitter of lights and wiz bang goodies. You are very kind to it.
  • bondguy1bondguy1 Posts: 228
    I couldn't agree with you more. Just took the A6 on a 120 mile trip to Marco Island Florida today. Cruising Alligator Alley at 90+MPH the whole way, I averaged with cruise control on and including tapping the brakes every once in awhile averaged 24.8 MPG...pretty incredible I think. Also, I didn't realize until this weekend but one thing I love about the NAV is that you can program it for fastest to your destination or shortest distance to your destination. I know the Lexus had this feature years ago when I drove one. This car really does rock and just broke 3,000 miles. Cruising at about 95 MPH seemed effortless and not loud at all. Felt like we were doing 40 MPH. And, the automatic wipers are great too with their speed sensitive setting.
    The M35X seems "nearly" German. I am certain I would have found it to be an excellent car.

On the other hand, I love my new A6 and have no regrets. I really was in a no lose situation -- the fact that I ended up with my first choice configured as I wanted makes this even better!

My wife's X3 continues to please, too.

Hoping for an upgrade to the X3 when her lease is up -- my guess is there will be some improvements to the X3 over the next two years -- both in the cockpit and under the hood.
    At fortitude.com they just released an announcement that the Allroad is returning. They showed the concept car that was a big hit on the show car circut.

Mid 2006 release date! The show car is tricked out big time, with a V8 of course.

Otherwise its a show car, and a real beaut!

I will have interesting choices, but this thing goes upscale big time!

Showcars are one thing, reality is another.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    You're talking about the new Q7, and not the Allroad. There are no plans for a 2006 Allroad model in the US right now. They might bring it back in 07.

The V8 model Q7 should be here late spring 2006, and the V6 versions will follow in the late summer and early fall.

The Q7's will come out as 2007 model year vehicles.
    If the operative phrase in "in the US right now," I suspect that is possible. However, the allroad replacement -- also called the allroad is slated to be built, unless the Audi-gossip web sites are all wrong.

The things I have read about that are to be built (but I am not clear on for what market) include: Q7 (based on Touareg/Cayenne), Q5 (a smaller version perhaps based on the A4/Avant -- what I read about this was ??? US ???), A6 Avant (of course) and the allroad which will be a current allroad carried froward.

According to Audi AG: "As well as offering the elegant sportiness of the new Audi A6 Avant, the new Audi A6 allroad quattro cuts a fine figure off the beaten track. The second generation once again features quattro permanent four-wheel drive and adaptive air suspension with variable ground clearance. The Audi A6 allroad quattro is the most expressive way of driving an Audi A6 Avant.

The second generation of the Audi A6 allroad quattro will be lauched in mid-2006."

The Q7 is NOT the allroad:

q7

Allroad link:

allroad
    Im talking allroad.

The reason I mentioned my source would be to inform, and then to validate my post.

Perhaps a quick journey to read that newsrelease might clairify what you seem to think I am NOT saying!

Good day!
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I hear that there is a bluetooth software upgrade that can be done to the MMI on the A6 that helps with the end call problems people have. Symptoms include phone hanging up, but the MMI not releasing the bluetooth connection to the phone and it thinks it is still connected, even though the phone itself has hung up.

Apparantly, you do not want to initiate a call with the phone itself or it will still be a problem, but originating from the MMI itself will work just fine.

I can try to get the s/w versions.

-Paul
    The new allroad may be launched "somewhere" next summer 2006, but it's highly unlikely that it will be available for US customers then.

Your're probobly talking early 2007 here in the states. The new 2006 Avant just hit showrooms this week for US dealers... 9 months behind the sedan

Magazines and on-line groups tend to be 6 months to a year ahead of reality.

People thought the Q7's would be here in the fall of 2005, but it's 8 months away for the V8's and a year away for the V6's Q7's.

The new Allroad looks gorgeous, though, and the sooner it gets here the better.
  • I really was enjoying my first Audi until about 3 weeks ago. I was two months and about 1,600 miles into my new car when the engine and steering wheel began to shake rather violently when attempts were made to accelerate quickly (i.e., rapid lane changes). I am still enjoying an A6 Audi ride - just not mine (the dealers). For three weeks + the dealer and supposedly Audi (Germany) could not identify the problem.

A Michigan based engineer may have finally identified the problem - we are now waiting for a part from Germany. Has anyone else had this experience?
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    There have been a few similar experiences on other forums and they found flat spotting of the tires which was not detected with wheel balancing but when detected (they didn't say how) and changing the tire, the problem went away.

Good luck with fixing the car.
    . . .and I began counting "driver" switches, buttons, levers/stalks and rotary dials on the A6 3.2 with "all the options" (oops, sorry, I don't have the power rear sunshade, which would probably add another switch of some kind.) I did not count controls that are not exactly intended for the driver.

I will recount, but at the number I am about to tell you I counted whilst sitting through two traffic cycles in gridlock, plus or minus even another half dozen still makes for an impressive number. From behind the wheel, counting the horn as 1, there are some 66 "things" that can be pushed, turned or in some way "switched" to cause something to happen. This does not include the mirror in the sun visor, which has two sliding pieces. Some of the switches have multiple functions, that is they can be pushed, rolled, rotated or articulated.

As I sat there in the cockpit of my car, I paused to wonder how I would get along without voice control, bluetooth hand and eyesfree telephoning, sat nav and, frankly, cruise control

Oddly, I curse the automatic transmission at every possible opportunity -- it makes driving so much more difficult because the damn thing is always shifting at times OTHER than when I want it to. And, as good as the tip mode is (and it is waaaayyy better than in previous years), it is a poor substitute for the control -- and performance -- afforded by a "row your own" speed manual with the extra foot pedal.

I should be locked up -- as I am a walking contradiction. I love automatic wipers, headlights, ABS, ESP, Brake assist and Audio Pilot even (and cruise control is a godsend) -- but please, please give me a transmission that doesn't think it's smarter than a human driver. Heck, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm smarter than any tiptronic I've ever used.
    I hear you bro!

The sweetness of shifting is someting that may drive me away from the A6.

If I must shift, the X3 may win over the A4. Im sure you understand. I really want thet 255 hp in the new X3! I can't say the allroad is the fastested off the line either!
    My 2.7T allroad with the 6speed manual and I will take the bet that it is very quick!

Not so the 2.7T with the 5spd tip tho.

Newsflash: the current orders for 2006 X3's will be delivered with the full body cladding "yay" and the 225HP engine (probably until January.)

Film at 11. I think this is to not kill the X5, which will be replaced with a new X3 looking version the first part of '06. :confuse:

Me too. But we're not in the market for a replacement to our 3 month old X3, quite yet!

P.S. I recounted while I was in the car wash -- there are 80 controls that you can or must fiddle with in a new A6, as mine is equipped.

Voice command is a safety feature, fur sure! :shades:
    The 3.2 A4 is getting a 6 speed manual this fall.
  • Replacing tires seems like it would have been a much cheaper fix; however, Audi has decided to take back the car and replace with a brand new A6. Needless to say I am one very satisfied customer. I have loved driving the car and really did not want to move to some other brand. This is the ultimate example of a manufacturer standing behind its product. They could not fix the problem in a reasonable amount of time (given that the car was new) so they are maintaining my loyalty with the ultimate fix.
    Although I bet the Audi Connection would love to take credit for this, you are correct, the manufacturer is the one that made this happen.

I know that there are lots of disgusted posts here (and not just about Audis, for Pete's sake), but there really is, I am convinced, more positive news than negative to report.

Sometimes persistence and patience work to your advantage. I have, over the years had the folks in the service department at the very same dealership come to my aid -- but always sponsored and supported by a factory official.

I send my service department and my salesman Harry and David gift baskets every year for Christmas -- I do my small part to be a "good and memorable customer" is the point.

I read so many horror stories, and I am here to say there are two (or more) sides to every story. Your tale of a new, replacement car and your willingness to post the outcome is laudable.

What color, options, etc -- did you "come out with?"

Hopefully they essentially said "you pick and we'll cooperate?"
    Congratulations! It is this kind of customer care that one expects of a luxury automobile such as Audi. I am reaffirmed in my purchase of an Audi.

Best wishes.
  • legendmanlegendman Posts: 362
    Any material updates or improvements anticipated for the 2006 A6 3.2?
    Something worth paying extra for (or foregoing the 2005 clearance prices)?

Any input would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    A few new colors, the package deals are different, and the warranty doesn't cover W&T anymore. Otherwise, no differences...

Personally, I'd go for a cheap 05 rather than a new 06...
  • S line gets a new color (a ruby red pearl-like hue.) Price increase. Package simplification (perhaps.) TPM now standard (probably part of the price increase.)

Lease price (not MSRP) is often lower on new car than old car due to higher residual of new car.

Cap cost often lower on current year car and if they are trying to move them there may also be some other forms of sub venting of the leases.

Although this discussion, thus far, assumes you are NOT paying a lump sum in cash -- regardless of your mode of acquisition, the things that effect the price of a car over time are the same if you pay in cash, finance or lease (unless you can get a 0% finance deal, then THAT would be a consideration since it is an artificial way to use someone else's money over time "for free.")

The differences in the car are slight. The Sline color change may be the biggest one -- unless Tire Pressure Monitoring has been a deal breaker or maker for you.

I'd get the one that had the best deal, personally.

One other thing, there is a NEW DVD map that is supposed to be quite an improvement -- one would think the newest Audi would have the newer map.

I'm going to beg for one later this month and see if I can split the cost or something with my dealer.
  • EdsotoEdsoto Posts: 42
    In regards to the current 05.5 A6 and the upcoming Volkswagen Passat... Or for that matter, the previous versions of each car... How much difference is there between the two companies?

As a newbie, they look very similiar and was wondering if I did get a VW with 4wd, how would that compare to Audi's Quatrro.

Just wondering
    The new navteq's maps still aren't out as far as I've heard, so I presume the 2006's shipped for Sept won't have them either (unless they are loaded at the dealerships)...

I sure hope that nav DVD makes magic with the program.
  • Although I am a new member of this forum I have been following it for some time. I have been researching all the LPS options and just decided on the Audi A6. I ordered a 2006 based on options and colors I wanted. But Mark is correct, if a dealer has a 2005 available with options you want you could probably get a better deal.

Edmunds actually has the 2006 information up and available if you go in and look at the "price with options" on a 2006 Audi. And it looks quite accurate for the most part. The base price has increased but there are some former options now standard on the 3.2 (such as TPMS, 17" wheels and the wood trim.) Audi has also simplified the option packages along the lines of some other makers. For example similar to the Infiniti M the 2006 A6 now has a technology package with all the electronic goodies in it (nav, adv key, parktronic, surround Bose, etc.) When I compared my fully loaded 2005 sample and compared to the 2006 equivalent it looked like the price had increased about $1000+ on a 3.2.

There are also a few new options such as the adaptive air suspension from the A8, the S Line pkg on the V6 and a wood/leather steering wheel with paddle shifters.

My choice to order was based on my desire for the sport seats. My 6'4" frame appreciated the additional leg support. The dealers at least in Florida did not order many cars with the sport seats and for 2006 they are a "sold order" option only. Anyway hope this helps...check out the Edmunds data. It will help you compare.
  • Although I assume we all are aware of the term sold order, it really hit me when I visted the BMW dealer over the weekend with my wife for a nice long test drive of the BMW 530xi. I had wanted to drive one with the manual transmission. None were in stock. Several had been pre ordered, but none were there and anyway, none could be driven if they were sold.

The BMW dealer buyer said, "virtually no manual transmissions or sport packages are ordered for inventory." Basically the man was saying that these are difficult to move and although they should have more dealer profit in them, they often don't because they are the last to be sold.

"Customers want comfort -- the base level of sport and performance are assumed to be more than adequate in these cars." What sells is more lux stuff, apparently.

Even certain color combinations are not "regularly" stocked according to my Audi dealer. Further almost no sport packages are purchased for inventory -- at least for A6's.

My wife and I are so out of the loop -- we can't figure out why you can't buy a sofa without ordering it ($3,000 to $5,000). But people routinely buy $50,000 - $80,000 cars and expect the car to be in stock.

With virtually no exceptions we have ordered all 28 Audis and one of the two BMW's we have had in the last 30 years.

I must live in the bizzaro world.

The BMW dealer all but said they order a very narrow range of cars for inventory -- because experience has taught them to not stray far from formula: auto trans, premium package, often the upgraded audio systems and increasingly sat nav and sat radio.

If you really want to configure your car your way, the joy of ordering a new car cannot be overlooked.

Just a thought.
    in 2001 I bought a E430 in a cash deal.

I had negotiated hard and was adament that I wasnot going over 50k! I told the dealers I don't care if you find me one with 5k on it, im not paying over that mark!

The dealer called me two days before the end of the month and told me I could have a new one, so long as it was limited to about 6 on the lot. They all were sunroof, "Premium" levels but none sport! This was about the majority and he wanted to move some inventory. THe lone e320 "sport" was long on the lot and did not move.

For me I wanted the Sweet V8 rather than the sport add ons found on the 6cyl!

The last Audi ad I saw showed a typica stock car with premium on it!

If you want what you want, you pay, if not, then take what they got. Im ok with that actually. does one want the deal or what they want?

My 6spd allroad was on the lot and I got a hell of a deal. I like to find oddball configurations and see if I can get a deal!
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    Does this mean no more included oil changes, wiper blades, brake pads, burned out light bulbs, air/cabin filters, spark plugs, brake flushes (after 2 years), etc?
  • I think you are correct on the wiper blades and brake pads -- and the thing also is this includes brake rotors.

But wait -- the period wherein this can happen for free will be ONE year, not two.

Oil changes are still free for 50K miles.

They've dumbed down the deal -- if you want more than one additional free sets of wiper blades, you will pay (you get one with the car and one replacement set for free, then you pay.)

You could get one all wheel alignment for free, but that is it and I think it has to be within one year.

There is chatter all over the Internet about this -- I figure it is better than nothing and no longer as good as BMW's.

Mercedes now allows you to "purchase" this coverage. I dunno, but I suspect Audi will too. That is pay above and beyond the price of the car for the extras that we used to take for granted.

Seriously, it is probably my fault -- I used to get at least two sets of wiper blades per year on the Audi Advantage.

I think they're $80! One has to make up one's own mind how many sets of wiper blades you plan to go through. There are, after all, lifetime wiper blades that are sold -- I can't imagine they really would be good for multiple seasons back to back -- so I may be popping the $80 after year one.

Boo Hissssss! :cry:
    No. Audi still has the same 4y/50k scheduled maintenance for 2006.

However, wearable items such as break pads and wiper blades are only covered for the first 12 months.