Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• bargamon1bargamon1 Posts: 110
    Just got back from dropping my allroad to dealer for paint sealent, service, and new tires. Had them dropped shipped to the house. Amazing I can get 4 tires in the back with seats up!

They had a bright red with black interior s-line. I thought I would hate the red but it was really nice. Not my color mind you.

They had a new A6 avent. These A6's are made first as wagons. This thing was simply stunning! Long and graceful! I was blown away. The 58k sticker blew me away also! Adaptive Suspension at $2800! This thing was fully loaded by the way.
    I was very impressed.

Sat in the a fully loaded A3 and liked it better than the A4. its a lot of car and style for the money. When they drop a 3.2 with Manual its gonna be a killer little car! Interior was excellent!

please, Audi, an A6 with s-line! oyseter grey with ameretto! I'll be a good boy!
  • . . .and a stick shift or the DSG transmission at least!
    Thats what I ment to say! Thanks!

The A3 has the DSG!

For what I really want, the A3 might be closer to what I want then the A6. Interior is a bit nicer than the X3, back seat about the same as A4.

I built one and checked off everything and it was like 33k!

I will drive them all and decide in due time!

LIke me to come home with an A8! "Honey, we gotta talk!"
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    XM or Sirius A6 owners,

Are you all still getting the "update radio station list" on the MMI? I get it about once a minute when listening to XM. I have yet to find a good explanation. Others have mentioned it as well and no one can resolve it.

Ideas?
  • I start my car perhaps four times per day -- this update happens perhaps once, there is no side effect or any negative.

I love Sirius -- and I love REAR SURROUND mode.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    it reduces it. It still does it a couple of times in the first few minutes of starting the car, but after that, it doesn't do it. Also helps with additional Bluetooth compatibility.

Still won't sort by channel number w/o first sorting by genre...

-Paul
    The tip in the 3.0 loaner A4 is interesting. A lot of pickup, and the sport mode is great! This loaner is an 04 with 17 wheels, but sport seats. Hard to say sport suspension is in it, it has wood trim inside. I would miss shifting, but the new a6 is so ahead of anyting else in the catagory.
  • bondguy1bondguy1 Posts: 228
    It's really not a problem. How often are you going to change it...especially if you are the only one driving the car. You set it and forget it!
    A6. Whoa! Nice! 3.2 feels very strong. Don't care about actual posted times, it felt great!

I am preaching to the crowd!

Made my 03' allroad with new tires and only 35 k on it feeling like the flintstones mobile!

Mark in Cincy, quick question. If you had to choose just one of either X3 or the A6 of the ones sitting in your garage. Just one, the way you have them configured as is, which do you keep?
  • The question is unfair. I really like both cars -- I like them both as "the best" cars I have ever "owned" (even though the X3 is my wife's and the "TT" had become ours.)

The TT was fun to drive, but I always felt like a bug when I was driving it -- but it was really connected to the road. It was returned off lease on Wednesday and it was really not too traumatic.

The BMW needs a tad more power, the Audi needs stickier tires and/or perhaps the sport package option -- the Audi is more comfortable, but either one of these cars would be easy to live with for 36 months.

The trunk in the A6 is actually more spacious than the X3's cargo hold -- but the X3 with the sport suspension, 6spd, and upgraded everything is pretty spanky too.

The A6, as noted, is more comfortable and somewhat more upscale and I am slowly coming to accept and dare I say may even be growing to appreciate the tiptronic.

The A6 has a better sound system and voice activiation is great.

Here is my answer then: IF my A6 had a stick shift it would be the winner, if the X3 had the 255 HP 3.0 BMW engine (coming soon) and the BMW SMG transmission, it would be the winner.

The BMW is $80 per month less money but it requires more fuel.

It really is a toss up.

:confuse:
  • . . .that I could have posted here were instead posted on the VW Passat 2006 forum (post #695.)

Perhaps you may want to note my comments before you pony up your $750 for "Advanced Key."
    Your waffling! :)

I was kind of taken back how nice the 6spd tip was! Sport mode was excellent!

I think your like a lot of folks, need it stickier and faster!

I think if you had to drive cross country you'd take the A6?

I like you prefer to shift, but the luxury thing ain't all that half bad.

The darn allroad is just the perfect blend between! X3 is spotier and more fun to drive than the C6. But the interior needs the upgrading. It would be hard to "step down".
    I hope the improved interior is enough. I think by january the new motor is due.

thanks for the response!
  • On this subject, is there anyway to have "My Presets" come on when starting the car instead of defaulting to the entire station selection of the chosen mode? I know it is only one more step get it back to my presets, but is is annoying after the fifth trip of the day or just a short stop and I am ready to start "speed" selecting music with the buttons.
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    I heard its programmed to do just that, go to the last known menu...except the startup "legal disclaimer" resets everything!

Get rid of the disclaimer and it may just work...
  • How do you get rid of the legal disclaimer.
  • You can't. At least I've not heard of any work around...
  • I tried for an hour or so last night, but no luck. Guess we are stuck with it. Does every vehicle with NAV have to have the mandatory disclaimer.
  • At least in the US, its mandatory. Gotta love our litigious society! :sick:
  • I am on the verge of buying a used 2005 A6 (11,000 miles, delivered 12/04). Because the vehicle was a trade in I do not have access to the original window sticker. I am trying to determine whether the car has the Volterra leather or not. Not sure how to tell. This car has wood on the door panels. Does this mean it has the Volterra? A related question- is there a "material" difference between the standard leather and Volterra or is this really just a way for Audi to get an extra $1,000 for the car?

This car does not come with the voice activation system although it does have the button on the steering wheel. I note that voice activation is only a $350 option. Based upon the low cost, I would assume this is something I could have added for a minimal cost (just add a chip to the computer?). The car basically has the premium package and the convenience package and 17" wheels.

Last question, I know that Audi provides free maintenance for the first 4 years and 50,000 miles. Does this also include a loaner car for standard maintenance or do I have to wait for repairs/arrange my own transportation? As an Infiniti owner I know I have to pay for regular maintenance at Infiniti but it is nice to walk in and drive out 10 minutes later with a loaner. My ideal would be to take the A6 in for the 15,000 mile service for free and also get a loaner from Audi for free during the process but I am not sure the free loaner is part of their standard program.

Any insight into the above questions would be appreciated.
  • I'm not sure the volatara leather was available on the 1st 2005 A6's as I don't remember having that option available to me. I remember it being in Europe but not here...

There is not dealer installation of voice at this time. Everyone gets the button, voice or no voice.

Loaners are only required by AOA for the top line auto (A8), but most Audi dealerships will provide it to their customers, especially if the car was purchased there. You can ask them to make it part of your contract... ;)

The good thing about you buying this car used is that you can ask to have it certified preowned. This would cover it up to 100K miles or some amount of years (I can't remember right now)... I would insist on this.

The car is great, good luck in the purchase process! :shades:
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,665
    Loaners are only required by AOA for the top line auto (A8)

My dealer (previously) stated that loaners are standard IF you are at the dealer that you purchased your vehicle; and if you were at a different dealer it was at their discretion.

Unless this was their specific policy and it really is only for the A8…just what I was told.
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180
    I ordered my 4.2 in December and Volterra Leather was available. Looking at the brochure that was given to me at that time, I have a few observations on the Volterra Leather. The Volterra Leather was a stand alone option so the wood door panels do not appear to be a sign on which leather the car has. The wood panels were part of the premium package, which did not include the Volterra Leather. According to the brochure, if the car is a 4.2 it has Volterra leather. If the car is a 3.2 and the leather is Cream Beige or Amaretto, regardless of exterior color, it is Volterra leather. If the car is a 3.2 with an ebony, platinum or beige interior, I don't know how you can tell which leather is in the car. Unfortunately the brochure does not explain the difference between standard leather and Volterra Leather and does not include a picture of a single car with the standard leather, so I can't help you any further.
  • I agree, the easiest way to determine Prem leather is the color.

Loaners during the Audi Advantage are standard normal at the buying dealer and my experience is that even NON original purchase dealers offer loaners (they want your biz!)

Get the CPO before you sign -- 100K miles / 6 yrs.
  • On my third pushbutton start button.

No problems otherwise.

Engine sips gas -- 27MPG is REAL.

Engine still adequate, but seems significantly better in terms of low end grunt than it was when brand new.

Using lots of top tier gas when possible.

Oil and tire rotation, etc done at 5K miles.

Replacement of start button takes 10 minutes. Seems like a really cool and overpriced option -- maybe they charge $750 for it so they can buy all the replacement buttons the thing will require.

BMW charges $1,000 for this option.

Voice activiation works 98% perfectly. Why is it ONLY $350.

25 radio station presets are inadequate -- go to 99.

Voice name tag memory is now full -- quintuple its capacity -- memory is cheap.

Note: get a better start stop switch and use the money you charge for voice to buy another bit of storage. It would be OK with me if you charged $500 for voice, if you would reduce the price of Advance Key to $$500.

These tires (18") are wimpy. But quiet. I have the 245 x 40 A/S.
  • It is AOA mandate that dealerships MUST (or so I've been told) provide loaners for any A8's. Otherwise, the dealership can do whatever it wishes for the other models. It is not REQUIRED to provide loaners for anyone else, but I have yet to find one that doesn't. However, dealership policies can change, but the AOA mandate won't. FWIW...
  • Thanks for everyone's input into my questions. The car is light silver metallic with the platinum interior. At this point I will just assume that it does not have the Volterra. When I looked at new A6's a month or two ago the salesman told me the main difference is that the standard leather is only on the seats and the Volterra is on the door panels instead of vinyl. I have looked at this car's door panels pretty close but I cannot really be sure if it is leather or vinyl. As a comparison, our Odyssey has leather "seating surfaces" and you cannot really tell where the vinyl starts and the leather ends- the match is that good.

I would not be buying this at a Audi dealer. My sister is in the car business and this car got traded in yesterday. She would basically sell it to me for the trade in allowance given to the previous owners. My plan would be to drive the car for a about year take the mileage up to say 24,000 miles and then sell it retail and start the process over again. In theory I should be able to get a newer used car every year or so for virtually no net cost (i.e. sell the used car after a year on a retail basis for what I paid wholesale a year earlier). At that point the car would still be less than 2 years old and have plenty of base warranty left. Since Audi includes free maintenance I think my only out of pocket might be tires if that came up.

BTW...Audi only requires an oil change every 10,000 miles!??

She gave me the car to try out yesterday (I've still got it now. I will either give it back tomorrow or I will buy it). Car drives great and has good power even if it is "only" 255 hp. The car is very smooth and quiet yet handles firmly. My only peeves are that this car does not have heated seats and the lack of the voice response option. I don't really need the heated seats much living here in the south but it irks me that a car that stickered for about $47,000 (I think) did not have them standard. My boss's 1999 GMC pickup has heated seats. My co-workers Accord has heated seats.... Bottom line I think at this price point Audi should just make the heated seats standard.

The other thing is this particular car's lack of voice response. Since it is only a $350 option I have no idea why every Audi A6 sold in the US does not come with it. I hope the previous poster is incorrect when he says a dealer cannot add after the fact. I will call a dealer tomorrow to double check.
  • Voice response should be required by law for a car that has so many buttons, knobs, switches and things to touch, move and articulate.

My A6 lacks the tires monitoring and the sun screen options, which would add even more to the equation.

Voice response is NOT optional, it is a safety feature.

Reality is ahead of the law.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    If I recall correctly, the Volterra leather is textured (and hard) and the standard leather has a smoother appearance. Also, if I recall, for the '05 model Volterra was standard on the 4.2 and optional on the 3.2.
  • Did Audi use the phrase Leather Seating Surfaces for standard leather and Premium Leather, which I assume means more than just the seating surfaces?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    A reporter is looking to interview folks who recently bought, ordered, or are considering ordering an AWD BMW 5-Series, Cadillac STS4, Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic, Audi A6 Quattro or Lexus GS300 AWD and is getting the car to replace an SUV. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, September 15, 2005 with your daytime contact information and the makes/models of the vehicles coming and going in your life at this time.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com