Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• spoon2000spoon2000 Member Posts: 12
    Mike,

My mistake -- I misread the Audi website and you're correct -- it's a new optional 17" wheel (for the 4.2 only, as you said).

-- John
  • mraudaciousmraudacious Member Posts: 1
    I understand Audi is adding their new lighter, six speed, multitronic transmission sometime in 2001. Does anybody know how great an improvement this will bring to the A6? Or when it will be added? For example, if I order my A6 in Sept., will I get the Multitronic? Thanks.
  • robertkmgrobertkmg Member Posts: 9
    I'm making progress w/ Audi. I have agreed to let them replace the turbos (must be as a matched set per the specs) as the last chance at repair. If the turbo replacement rectifies the problem, then I keep the car but get a significant credit for prior lease payments. The replacement should be completed by Wed/Thurs of this week. If the replacement does not rectify the problem, then Audi will replace the car w/ a 2001 model with equal or better options.

So, this appears to be a win-win for me.

Thanks to all you guys that have provided me w/ comments, suggestions and information.
    That sounds like a good deal. Keep us posted on what happens, please.

What was wrong with your car in the first place that brought all this on?
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    The 6-speed automatic that's being talked about is not the Multitronic. The 6-speed ZF is a "conventional" automatic transmission with 6 forward speeds. I've read unconfirmed reports that it MAY be offered on the '02 models. For more information, go to http://www.AudiWorld.com and look at the News Archives for year 2000. There's a great article on the ZF 6-speed under "May".

The Multitronic is a continuously-variable transmission, similar to that found in the Honda Civic HX. Here's a site that can tell you more about Multitronic:

http://www.schwab-kolb.com/audipr30.htm

Hope this helps.

- Mike
  • robertkmgrobertkmg Member Posts: 9
    The problem has been an annoying "mechanical fluttering" sound heard during acceleration between 3000 and 4000 rpm, at which time it cuts off. The noise is so prevalent that it can be heard over the a/c, stereo, etc. When driving w/ the windows down, the noise reverberates off of the curb/jersey wall or whatever. Audi mechanics have replaced various hoses, fittings, blah blah blah w/o success. At the very beginning, I had suggested a faulty turbo. My suggestion, however, was disregarded. Now they are replacing the set. According to the mechanics at Rockville P/A and the regional expert, this specific problem has not been encountered before my car came along.
  • dcquandcquan Member Posts: 2
    Tim,
    Thanks for the input. Now I know a lot more than I did before. However, I am still looking for input from a Sport Package owner to give some ideas on the long term pros and cons regarding this option.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    Good luck with your turbo replacement, I hope it cures this strange problem. I am also pleased that the dealer has tried so hard to please you - this seems to be the exception these days.

When your new turbos are installed, PLEASE treat them with "kid gloves" and drive very easily for the first few hundred miles. Turbos spin at up to 100,000 rpm, and the bearings need a good while to break in properly.
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    Bob, it's really good to hear that things may be working out. Please keep us all posted.

And, Doug, if you haven't already checked the archives here, you should be able to find more info on the PSK suspension. I'd also suggest trying AudiWorld at:

http://www.audiworld.com/

You can find numerous posts on the PSK suspension by using their search function. I also know that a lot of posters on that board have it and should be happy to share their experiences. Good luck!
  • bollingerbollinger Member Posts: 207
    Don't believe anything you hear about the multitronic coming here on any specific timetable. There is no schedule for it coming here yet. I'm not saying it won't come here, but attaching a date to it and then making decisions upon that is folly.

As to is the multitronic good? Answer seems to be yes. It gives better gas mileage and acceleration than the standard. Better acceleration than the stick! Still, in day-to-day conditions, it will have the same "problem" as a normal automatic, which is it always tries to reduce the engine revs, thus causing your car to seem slow while the tranny shifts to get them back up.

Personally, I'm down on the multitronic for two reasons.

1. I am fairly certain it will be a mechanical nightmare.
    2. It's only available on the 2.8. Who wants a 2.8?
    Is it possible to save gas when driving on the highway by shifting from automatic mode to Tip mode and forcing the transmission to stay in 5th?

Certainly if you put the Tip in 4th and left it there you would hurt your mileage...
    It is possible you could save gas by using the tip, but the tranny is usually in 5th before you know it anyway, at least on the 2.7T. The tranny is already in 5th gear at 45 mph, and if you slow back down, it will hold it down past 35 mph. The acceleration in 5th at 35mph is not exactly stunning. It's better than I expected, but nothing like you expect from a 250HP car.

Oh, I forgot to mention, where to shift is one of the things the tranny learns automatically. I go pretty gentle on my car, so it shifts early it's possible that other 2.7T drivers who leadfoot it more often have higher shift points.
  • piper6piper6 Member Posts: 3
    It finally arrived.I picked up my A6 last week and have run my first tank of gas thru it. Now I can appreciate all of the rave notices. For the record, my car built on June 17, has the passenger side seat memory and the immobilizer- no apparent windshield distortion. The only problem I have is a noise that comes on at about 50 mph that sounds like a window is slightly open. I plan on doing a little detective work before I sic the dealer on it.
    I found the telephone connector in the wheel well including the antena lead wire . I temporarily wired in my analog phone but I get no signal when I hook the pre wired antena lead up to the cell phone. Does any one know where the antena is or why no signal? The phone works fine if I attach a window mount.
    Does anyone know how the Audi daytime running lamps are configured (as in for Canadian models)? Is there a module that plugs in somewhere in the wiring harness?

TIA
    Has anyone asked their dealer to refill their engine with synthetic oil at Audi-paid oil changes (within the 3 year maintenance program)?

If so, how have you and the dealer agreed on pricing, insofar as synthetic oil is more expensive?

Have you provided the oil and gotten some sort of service credit? Or has the dealer provided the oil and asked you to pay the cost difference?
    Welcome to the club, Ben. As you'll see, the car keeps getting better and better the longer you have it. If you haven't yet been there, I recommend that you join the A6 forum at AudiWorld.com, too. There are a lot of A6 owners there with a lot of great info.

When you get a chance, please come back and post the details about your car, e.g. engine, tranny, colors, options, etc.

- Mike
  • turborulesturborules Member Posts: 5
    I'm days away from purchasing a 2000 A6 2.7T & have been told with a performance chip & air intake modification I can increase the HP from 250 to 310. Has anyone else heard of this upgrade or is my chain being pulled. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Livio, how about 310 WITHOUT air intake mods? There are several chips available both for the 2.7T engine, and the tiptronic trans. One of the favorites seems to be PES/GIAC. You can find them at this link:

http://www.pes-tuning.com/index2.htm

Don't have a 2.7T yet, so haven't had personal experience, but those who have used PES, seem to be very pleased. Of course, there are other issues, like your warranty. But those who have chipped their 2.7T's have thought through these and decided on a way to deal with them, or that the tradeoffs are worth the extra power.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.
  • hello26hello26 Member Posts: 62
    In regard to above post--Volkswagen and Porsche coming into existence after WWII is not the beginning of Volkswagen's history. War production was turned into automobiles as would have been done. Volkswagen, the people's car, came into existence as part of a program Hitler had whereby stamps like the famous American green stamps were to be traded for cars.
    Thanks for responding so quickly. This mod involves sending the computer out for a new prom, changing the air filter to K&N type & modifying air intake. The new prom supposedly behaves just like a stock prom to diagnostic computer at dealership but improves HP to 315 on Dyno. I'm going to drive a 2.7T with these upgrades on Sat.
    8/7/00 & compare it to stock 2.7T. If its for real I'll definitely be going for the upgrade. I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • piper6piper6 Member Posts: 3
    Mike,I took your suggstion and got onto Auidworld. Got several responses to my cellphone antena question and another poster with the same problem. We'll get to the bottom of the antena question sooner or later. As to the details of my new A6--Melange/ melange, Quattro 2.8, rear seat air bags, sun roof ,leather and premium pkg.
    I suspect I'm a tad older than most of you so I don't long for that Turbo kick. Besides I have a red 63 E type Jaguar in the stall next to the A6 if my hormones get active (no put down to you 2.7T owners intended) .
    Sounds like a great car, Ben. I also have a 2.8Q and am very pleased with the performance of the power train so far. While it isn't a rocket like the other iterations of the A6, it holds its own very well and I have no regrets; hopefully, you feel the same way.

Have fun with your new car!
  • jbariejbarie Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE OWNED AN A6 4.2 SINCE MAY ,WHICH HAS ONE POSSIBLE PROBLEM,BUT I AM NOT SURE??? ON ONE OCCASION WHILE GUNNING THE ACCELERATOR TO PASS, I FELT & HEARD AN ABRUBT " CLUNK OR BANG" IN THE TRANSMISSION,JUST BEFORE THE SURGE. THIS HAPPENED ONLY ONCE. BUT I AM NOW SENSITIZED TO THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTS PARTICULARLY WHEN THE CAR DOWNSHIFTS FROM 2ND TO 1ST JUST BEFORE I COME TO A FULL STOP. OCCASIONALLY, I ALSO FEEL A NON SMOOTH SHIFT GOING FROM 1ST TO 2ND. ANYONE OUT THERE WITH SIMILAR WITH SIMILAR EXPERIENCES?
    J.BARIE
    I get that occasionally. I believe it is just driveline windup. What is that? Well, it is particular to full-time AWD cars. Luckily, it is rare on the Audis. A friend has a Land Rover Discovery II, and it happens all the time to him.
    Jacob, I'm waiting out a lease for a 2.7T and sublimating by enjoying this board and AudiWorld. I've read most of the posts on AudiWorld over the last few months and what you're describing sounds a lot like what some other posters have experienced. It seems the first to second shift in the A6 has a peculiarity that a few posters on AudiWorld have described in detail. You might want to try the search function here and on AudiWorld for a more detailed first-hand description. I'm driving a Lexus ES300 now that shifts almost imperceptibly. Yet I can recall one or two occasions when I fooled the transmission with something I did when accelerating quickly that resulted in a clunk when it downshifted. Unless someone with more specific knowledge knows better, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
    Having ridden in an ES300 and driven a 2.7T, there is no difference in the shifts normally, both are barely perceptible 1-2 and pretty much imperceptible on the rest.

Driveline windup is a result of slack in a full-time AWD system. The more slack, the more common windup is. At every connection between the center diff and wheels, there is a little slack. Now, the slack can allow the driveline to come to a rest where the engine is trying to hold the axles back (trailing the axles) or where it is leading the axles (driving them). When you transition between the two, there is a certain amount of twist that can come from the center diff before any movement is made at the wheels.

So, what happens is you are under braking, for some reason, the front axle is leading the drivetrain, and the rear axle is trailing it. Now, the rear is trailing, because some engine power (drag) is pulling it back. When you apply engine, the rear axle starts getting head of the drivetrain rather rapidly. So, the center diff sends the power rearward quickly because the rear part of the drivetrain wants it. Just as you get momentum built up, you reach the end of the slack, and WHAM!

It happens to me most commonly when I go from coasting to moderately heavy braking and quickly back to the gas. By far the most common case for me is when going over a speed bump. Coast, brake, bump, gas, WHUMP!

You learn to make it not happen, although it really isn't your fault anyway.

Audi does a good job of minimizing this as much as they can. This is one reason that I think that eventually part-time auto-engaging systems will be considered the best AWD available.

If I've got this all wrong, someone please tell me.
    Great job explaining driveline wind-up, Steve. Although I think I've experienced it in my A6, I never really paid much attention to it. I surely never knew that there was actually a term used to describe it! Thanks for providing such a clear explanation.
    There is also a known problem with some 4.2 trannys. However, if you have it, you should end up in limp mode at some point. What is limp mode? If you get in it, you'll know why it is named that. Had something to do with fluid contamination.

Perhaps you could ask your dealer about this next time you are in. Frankly, it probably isn't the problem you are having, but you never know.
    I've now driven a 2.7T with the upgrade & a stock 2.7T back to back & all I can say is wow!!! As impressed as I was with my test drives of the stock car (3 in all), I was blown away by the extra power that the upgrade brings to the table. All of the cars were 6 speed manuals & non had the sport suspension though 1 stock car had Dunlap 9000's on it. This upgrade brings the car to another level of performance not just in its 0 to 60 time (if it was 6.0 it has to be mid 5's now) but in its all around handling of the twisties. On fast turns you could put the car into a controlled 4 wheel slide going into the turn & floor the gas halfway thru which pulled the car straight & thru the turn like nothing I've ever driven before. I own a 87 Buick turbo "T" which has a chip upgrade, ram air scoop, intercooler upgrade, exhaust upgrade etc. & I believe this 2.7t will give it a run for its money 0 to 60 because of its all wheel drive & virtually no wheel spin on take off. On the run the Buick feels more powerful 20 to 60/70 in a straight line but throw some turns in & its no contest. I will be getting the upgraded A6 2.7T the middle of next week & can't wait. Thanks to all for sharing their experiences with these cars as it made my choice in what to buy so much easier.
    STEVE: ONCE AGAIN, THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT...I WILL GIVE YOU SOME FEEDBACK IF & WHEN I GET THE AUDI DEALERSHIP RESPONSE CONCERNING THIS WINDUP "NON-PROBLEM"....BUT I,M INTRIGUED ABOUT THIS "LIMP MODE" ON THE 4.2...DOES IT PRESENT ITSELF AS A TURBO-LIKE LAG? IS THIS YOUR TERMINOLOGY,OR IS IT A WELL KNOWN ENTITY? FINALLY,CAN ERRATIC BRAKING AND/OR ACCELERATION CONFUSE TRANSMISSION RESPONSE???
    JBARIE
    It's not my terminology, it is Audi's. It is described in the manual somewhere. Your gear selector display on your dash will invert or something like that. And the tranny will start shifting like crap. I think it also limits the top speed to 45mph or something.
  • abramaabrama Member Posts: 6
    I am shopping for a 2001 2.7T with all the options except for the sport suspension and phone. I have two prices thus far. A dealer matched Costco pricing at 1500 over invoice and carorder.com was 1278 over invoice. Wanted to know if these were reasonable and if anyone has found a lower price in California.

I am not sure how true this is, but one dealer stated that Audi was limiting the allotment of 2001 2.7T to dealerships. Any truth to that and why would Audi limit the number. I would think that they would try to sell as many as they can. Apparently this their 2nd or 3rd best selling car in their line-up.
  • hello26hello26 Member Posts: 62
    I'd like to understand this but I'm not sure that I do. What I want to know is: does the Quattro system create vibration? If so, which parts of the car vibrate and when?

A vwvortex.com article about 4Motion said that with it and with A6 and A4, slight vibration is felt through the steering wheel at low speeds.

My concern is a smooth ride. The new Subaru I am driving vibrates the entire cabin violently. It might be a bad engine mount. I think it
    is poor design and a cheaply made car (the car is crude beyond belief). I think the AWD might be part of it, however, because power is be transfered under the entire car. I thought about this and I thought RWD can be as smooth as glass.

I loved the 4000. If that was FWD, Audi FWD is underated. I've driven the 4Motion Passat and
    I didn't notice any vibration.
    After buying the "ride so smooth because it is based on a car" bs of Fuji Heavy Industries, I
    feel very confused about the true nature and possible drawbacks of AWD cars.
    On my A6 2.7T. I can't see how AWD would cause this.

Depending on config, your Subaru is probably part-time AWD anyway, and so the dyanmics of it will be entirely different from a full-time Audi.

I've found Subarus to ride very well, I would try another car, of if you already own it, get it repaired.
    Mike, both prices are really good for anywhere, particularly this early in the season. If a dealer had a 2.7T I wanted at $1500 over invoice, I'ed grab it. Someone pointed out that carorder had inflated the MSRP on the 2.7T. I'ed double check their MSRP against AoA's site, or here, at Edmonds where you can also get invoice pricing. I have no information about allocation of 2.7T's, but I wouldn't be surprised. The car is selling, and AoA, and perhaps the German parent would prefer to sell the 4.2. Maybe they think if they restrict the supply of 2.7T's, they'll sell more 4.2's. Simplistic thinking, but a possible motive.

Hello26, I've only been able to test drive the 2.7T so far, but that particular 2.7T was even smoother than the particular Lexus ES300 I've been leasing. My wife is leasing a Subaru Legacy, and despite being on it's 3rd engine in less than 50k, it's reasonably smooth for a boxer engine. Certainly, there's no vibration problem in the cabin. It sounds to me as if your car has either a broken engine mount, or something seriously wrong with the drivetrain.
    On the contrary, my 2000 A6Q is exceptionally smooth and devoid of vibration. My car is only 2 months old and has seen only dry, reasonably smooth pavement. So far, I've detected no unwelcome sensations. In fact, the only way I can tell that the car has AWD when I'm driving it is by looking at the badging on the dash.
    Those are great deals, Mike. My recommendation: go to carOrder.com's web site and configure the car exactly as you would order it. Then, print out the carOrder "invoice". Based upon their invoice price, decide how much more (if any) you'd be willing to pay a conventional dealer for the same car. Then, take the carOrder invoice to your nearby dealer(s) and let them know you're a serious buyer, ready to talk business. Show them the invoice and see if you can strike a deal that's acceptable to you. If so, great; if not, place an order through carOrder.

Keep in mind that if you're doing a special order from the factory, it's unlikely that your wait time will be affected by who you order through. The only thing to watch out for is ordering from a dealer who has used up all of their allocation for the next-too-many months; if they're in effect "sold out" due to too many pending orders, that'll hurt you.

I ordered my A6 through carOrder in January at $592 over invoice. That's when they were actually subsidizing portions of many deals, mine included. As far as I'm concerned, if they can give you a significant enough price advantage, there's no reason to not go with them. They're courteous, they do what they say they'll do, and they seem reasonably concerned about customer satisfaction. Similarly, though, if they don't provide you with a significant price advantage, I see no reason to deal with them. They add a layer to the transaction that, without a price advantage, is of no value to you the buyer.

A note of caution: For the past week or so, 2001 Audi pricing has been missing from carOrder's web site. Before that, it was full of errors (Premium Luxury Package ERRONEOUSLY shown as "no charge", then M.S.R.P. over-stated by $1000). It would be a good idea to verify the "$1278 over invoice" before proceeding.
    Thanks for the advice on pricing. I've decided the difference in price is not significant enough for me to go through carorder.com. Mike that was an incredible price for the 2000 A-6.

Any input on the guidance system. The dealer did not have a car with it in the lot and the brochure does not explain it well. It seems that compared to the Acura/Lexus/MB, it doesn't have a nice display on the center console. It's located between the speedometer and rpm and only shows arrows and distance. Anyone tried it and how expensive is it per year and how accurate is it? Apparently the Acura has the best system and MB the most confusing.

Also the dealer asked me about an extended warranty(does not include free maintenance) for around 1300 to increase it to 6yr./72000. I think Audi has fixed the reliability problem and from what I read the turbos do last a very long time without major problems. Any input is greatly appreciated. thanks.
    Mike, I don't have any first hand experience with Audi's guidance package, but have read quite a few posts from people who have it. The consensus seems to be it isn't very good and is not worth the money.

Concerning extended warranties - You don't have to buy them from the dealer. These are insurance policies, and the dealer markup is 200% to 300%. And if you decide you want one, you don't have to buy them at the same time you purchase the car. It can be advantageous to wait a little. I'ed suggest taking a look at the link below for a little more info:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm
    I have no experience with Audi's navigation system, either, other than knowing that it doesn't approach the quality of Acura's. Absent the ability to play with one on an actual car, your best bet may be to go to the AudiWorld.com A6 forum and read what other owners of the system have to say. Just search the archives for "Guidance" and you'll pull up a lot of posts.

Regarding extended warranties, I agree with Timothy. Usually, the only people who come out ahead are those who sell the policies. In your case, they're trying to sell you 1 additional year or 22,000 additional miles for $1300. That sounds pretty steep. I'd pass.

A few other suggestions, before you order:

1. Listen to both audio systems (standard "Symphony" and Bose) first, with a few of your favorite CDs. Be sure that you adjust them both to be either "flat" OR for the most pleasing sound you can get out of them, in order to be comparing apples to apples. Only then can you decide which is for you. To assume that you'll be happier with the Bose because it's the extra cost system would be a BIG mistake. Many people (myself included) prefer the sound of the standard system over that of the Bose. (Head units are the same; only the speakers and amplifiers are different.)

2. Xenon headlights are fabulous. They're worth every penny. If you have any doubt, take 2 A6s (one with xenons, one without) to a dark street and see the difference for yourself. (The improvement is even more pronounced in poor visibility such as rain.) F.Y.I., xenons are included in the Premium Package which also includes steering wheel stereo & phone controls and auto-dimming inside & outside mirrors. The phone controls are useless unless you get the Audi phone (very expensive, analog only), but the other stuff is great.

3. If you're going with a 2.7T, you'll need to decide whether or not to get the Sport Package. A lot of folks have some pretty strong opinions on both sides, so just be sure which way you want to go before ordering. Again, if you're not sure, the folks at AudiWorld.com can help.

4. Speaking of packages, The Guidance Package includes both the navigation system and "Parktronic" rear parking assistance. You can't get one without the other.

Hope some of this helps. Have you chosen your colors yet?

- Mike
    Talked with the dealer this a.m. and put a refundable 500 deposit for a Silver/Tungsten Grey with all the options except for Sport Suspension (have 2 young kids so I don't think I'll be hitting the curves very hard and I don't think my wife would like the slightly "rougher" ride.) and Phone. He stated that since California is not allocated a lot of Audis with the Cold Weather Package he would have to special order it and will probably take about 2-3 months if he can change a car in production. (I guess people in California don't ski much and it doesn't get very cold here.)

I decided to go with the Bose and Navigation System package. I read some opinions about it in the Audi World Forum, but they are not very helpful. It seemed that people liked the discreet location of the display and seemed to be accurate, but the disks cost 180. OUCH! I only decided to get this because of the Acoustic Parking. The sales rep. stated that it was a package and can't be ordered separately for 2001 model. I think that AP is very helpful especially if you kids or pets around. It can help you avoid some serious collisions and not to mention a few dents.
    Thanks for the advice Mike and Tim.
  • tlommentlommen Member Posts: 1
    Interesting . . . was reading along the board yesterday and noticed comments about A6 4.2 known limp mode problem in the tranny. Am very sorry to say I experienced it today. Here's what happens: usually when you drive, the gear you are driving in is highlighted. When it pops into limp mode all of the gears are highlighted across the board and a check engine light appears on the speedometer. Response is TERRIBLE - you hit the gas and the car engine revs REALLY loud but it barely moves - I held my breath to make it up a hill after stopping for a stoplight. One person had mentioned, turn the car off and turn it on - tried that, no luck immediately so limped it to the wake I was heading to (might I also say I had 3 of my coworkers in my car - I was very proud and now VERY embarrased to show off my car of three weeks old). I had called the service dept. in the dealership (with all my friends in the car)and they said I could continue to drive it until I could get it to them. After leaving the wake the car started up just fine and didn't go back to limp mode but the check engine light remained on. However, I didn't trust the issue so I dropped it off at my house - piled everyone into our second vehicle and drove them the hour back - didn't want to chance it !!! Hopefully will get it to the dealership tomorrow, by tow or if they tell me AGAIN I can drive it. Will post again when I hear what they tell me about what caused this to happen and how they will fix it.
    MY FUEL GAUGE FROZE AT "FULL" AT 3100 MILES.ON MY A6 4.2 PURCHASED IN MAY.2000. NO SURPRISE, SINCE AUDI HAD ALREADY ISSUED THE RECALL ON 7/3/00,INDICATING THAT THE FAULTY SENSOR SYSTEM EFFECTED BY SULFUR & VARIOUS ADDITIVES WOULD BE REPLACED IN EARLY AUG. FOR ME THIS IS NOT SO,SINCE MY DEALERSHIP(JACK DANIELS IN FAIRLAWN, NJ.)STILL CANNOT COMMIT.THERE IS A LURKING FEAR IN MY COMMON SENSE PSYCHE, THAT AUDI IS IN THE "BATE&SELL MODE", MORE SO THAN THE "PREVENT & MAINTAIN" MODE. I HOPE THAT MY FEARS ARE NOT JUSTIFIED,SINCE THE A6/4.2 IS AN OTHERWISE DELIGHTFUL CAR....BUT THIS PROBLEM IS NOT NEW;DELAYED PARTS REPLACEMENTS SEEM TO BE AN ONGOING PROBLEM WHEN LISTENING TO OTHER AUDI OWNERS. HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HAD THE NEWEST VERSION OF THE FAULTY FUEL GAUGE SUCCESSFULLY REPLACED YET. I CAN,T EVEN MAKE THE APPOINTMENT YET! WHO WILL AUDI BLAME NEXT? DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS ANY LIGHT AT THE END THIS PARTICULAR AUDI "WIND" TUNNEL? JBARIE
  • stoneystoney Member Posts: 5
    Service:

Audi is at a low in terms of being able to supply parts and service appointments. It should improve; for example, a service center is to be built near us I am told. Sales have risen and the cars are everywhere, but the ability to build and ship parts and install them is terrible.

So, when you take that car in to be checked, don't be surprised if they say it will be 3 weeks until they can even LOOK at it. At least with a warrantee, you get a loaner. Make sure they give you a nice one, it may be with you for awhile.

Limp Mode:

Our A4 tranny (automatic, non-tip from 1997) went into limp mode. All the gear lights lit up, and it would NOT go into reverse (remember this when you park!). It also would not go into fifth.

Our dealer said it would be four weeks until they could even look at it. Fortunately (ironically), it had just gone out of warrantee, so we took it to an independent shop. This shop knew their stuff... they were the only shop (including Audi) that knew of a failure mode where water or oil can get into a connector on the tranny, causing the computer to go into transmission limp mode. That was the problem, fortunately, fixed at no cost! Whew!

We drove our A4 in limp mode for a few days before we could get it into the shop, however. No problem. Just had to park where I didn't need to back up.

We decided to wait a year or two to buy another Audi, until these design problems and service backlog are improved.
    Check this out. Note that you should download it first and then view it due to general weirdness in Audi's site. This is probably the problem for both of you. This tech bulletin says it is A6 4.2L only, but the one it supercedes was marked ALL USA cars.

Summary: water ingress into connector. Get new jumper harness to prevent recurrance.

As far as I understand this only affects the computers ability to modify the shift points and behavior. The fallback behavior is completely safe (and completely annoying) and you can drive the car as long as you can put up with it. That wouldn't be long for me. If the dealer won't look at it as an emergency thing, lie and pretend it is a huge safety deal. If that doesn't work, call AoA.

I am calling AoA to demand they break the service logjam here in the South Bay. A crock, it is supposed to be December 6th before I can get my fuel system fixed under recall. Diablo Audi in Concord has said they will have the parts in a couple days and should fit me in a couple days after they get them. It's work the 120 mile round trip for that problem.

AoA basically has to go through a process accusing the dealers here in the South Bay of doing a poor job of keeping their commitments. They have no other option, as apparently the two dealers down here have already franchised the whole South Bay Area. Yuck.

As to the fuel problem, it truly is VDO's fault. Big deal, it is still a huge inconvenience. Have people had them repaired yet? Most dealers say they don't have the parts yet, but that isn't unusual for Audi. Only being a week late would be unusual. Andersen-Behel claims to be installing them already.
  • mantagmantag Member Posts: 47
    ya know, for all this money, and still you are having these kinds of problems and poor service. and it is not the minor nuisances that need checked/replaced(the tranny limp mode thing, tghe fuel gauge thing, long wait for parts). maybe i will wait for it to come off of lease, let someone else take the depr hit and work out the bugs.

sounds like another audi 5000 fiasco!!!!!
  • tubeytubey Member Posts: 39
    It looks like it's a problem everywhere. However, I will say that when I called University Audi(VW/Subaru)last week with my temp gauge problem they told me to come right over and they would fit me in. Had they forced me to make an appointment it would not have happened until 8/16.
    But, they squeezed me in and had the problem all sorted out within a couple of hours. Even washed the car and vacuumed it out. Of course, they must have washed it with Dawn or something because it doesn't feel now like I have any wax protection left. But, I digress.

I think the dealers try, but in our area(Seattle/Tacoma) there are only three dealers, all of them multiline stores with several brands sharing the service departments. I don't know about your area, Steve, but there are no exclusive Audi stores around here. Which makes me wonder what's going to happen when VW starts marketing their high-end line. I can't believe they're going to sell those and Audis out of the same stores. But that's another issue entirely.

So far, I have not received a fuel gauge recall notice, so I'm curious about just which vehicles are subject to the replacement. And, like you, my gauge seems to be working fine. My car was built in 2/99, but it looks like the affected sending units go back into '98 as well. You wonder, since VDO probably supplies BMW, MB, and VW as well, are all of them experiencing the same problem?

I did notice on the Audiworld forum that someone had theirs replaced, and it only took about three hours. But I don't know in what part of the country they reside.
    It's surprising to hear that service can't be had this time of year -- normally August is the month when most dealerships are begging you to come in because so many customers are out of town on vacation.

My dealer (which shall remain nameless for now) recently even sent me my first "our records indicate it's time for an oil change" notice -- even though my car is just over 60 days old and has only 2000 miles on it (when I called the service department and inquired since Audi recommends an 8000 mile change interval, they hemmed and hawed and indicated the mailing was a "mistake").
  • sdolvensdolven Member Posts: 20
    Question for all the folks: I am looking at several cars: Volvo S80 (2.9), A6 (2.8 and 2.7T), Infinite I30 or Acura TL3.2. I prefer the A6 2.7T but I'm not quite sure the extra Oomph is worth the $$. When I start adding options (leather/sunroof/rear airbags/Bose) even the 2.8 is close to $40,000. The 2.7T jumps to around $45,000. Is Audi dealing at all on the 2.8's? From reading here, Audi is scalping you all on the 2.7's (times are good, people have money to spend. In 18 months, you'll get a good deal).

I like the Acura (esp. w/the pricing) but it is a different beast: not so sporty looking, handling, performance but still very nice. Only thing I don't like is the CHEAP (and I mean Saturn cheap) manual lumbar support. That is a must for me. The Infinite is an over-priced maxima, as far as I'm concerned. The Volvo I have to add a bunch to equal the A6 and then it's price is the same for less performance.

Any advice/info on pricing =/- for 2.8 vs. 2.7T appreciated. Also, the parts and support from Audi kinda scares me from what people write here. When is VW coming out with a high end line? I didn't hear that. Time frame? Models based on what? Pricing?

Also heard about a new Volvo S60 coming out (no concrete dates confirmed, from what I can find). Any info/ideas on that one as well?

I live in the Atlanta area so we are limited w/dealerships.
  • petrie3petrie3 Member Posts: 47
    I basically agree with rollie's response above. The Volvo s80 2.9 is more fairly compared to the A6 2.8 than the 2.7t. I leased an S80 T6 for my wife last Dec. (she loves Volvo and the T6) but when it came time for me to replace my car in May,2000, I leased an A6 2.7T. The Audi was a about $1,000 more than the Volvo. Both are great cars, fast and safe. I haven't had any problems with either car so far (knock on wood! real wood inlay in Audi's case!). For me, it was an easy decision,though both cars have alot going for them. The plusses for the 2.7t included: much nicer interior, more fun to drive; german "feel", more car for the money. I think the Volvo dolby surround stereo with in dash 4 cd player is better than the Bose option on the Audi, but not by much. In short, wife loves the Volvo, I love the Audi and we both enjoy it when we get to switch cars. One thing on the T6 though. Make sure you take it for a hard test drive...the torque steer is quite pronounced. With Quattro, this is a non-event in the 2.7t. Can't go wrong with either choice. Have fun!