Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• aveghteaveghte Posts: 68
    Does the base Audi A6 come with rear obstacle detection or do you have to purchase the technology package for this feature?
  • med1copmed1cop Posts: 2
    First tranny problem: when cold (Michigan) tranny will not shift out of 2nd gear for 1/4 to 1/2 mile.
    Second problem: Often when warm will not shift out of 2nd gear. Often when turning a corner hard, will drop into 2nd and not shift out. When this happens the only way to get it to shift properly is to turn off the car and restart. works great then. Dealer had it and could find no troubles. Even had it when it didn't shift for them and they still couldn't find the problem
  • allagarooallagaroo Posts: 88
    I had delivered a '07 A6 3.2 with Premium, Convenience, Technology, 18" wheeels and heated steering wheel recently. The catalog says the underseat drawers come with the Convenience package but I didn't receive it or a cargo net. The dealer said that it no longer comes with the car. They did get me a cargo net but has anybody else not received the underseat drawers when they ordered the Convenience package? I just have a lid that flips down under driver and passanger seats. :confuse:

Thanks,
    J
  • ricka1ricka1 Posts: 9
    That's what the underseat drawers are. Not much to hold in there except maybe gum, proof of insurance etc. Personally I think its a worthless item and rarely remember even having it.
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    I agree, they're very small. Mine are empty. I've heard others using them to hold sunglasses as the "real" sunglass holder is too small for most sunglasses.

I certainly wouldn't get too worked up about having the drawer or just a "space"...
  • habuhabu Posts: 52
    my '06 Avant had something like this occur when I was climbing a fairly steep hill near my home. Car seemed to stay in 2nd forever. Eventually went to third when the terrain was flatter. Sometimes I'll have it stay in 4th on a less steep grade near home. I can get it out of 4th by letting up on the gas and then letting it shift before going back on the gas. the tranny seems to be trying to give me the best power setting but will upshift when it senses I don't want the power. I've also tried using the stick shift mode on these hills and the tranny will go up a gear when I tap the selector even though it would have stayed the the lower gear in the auto mode.
    Since the glove compartment is so small with the CD changer installed maybe you can fit your owners manual in the underseat drawer?
    Better be a tiny manual. Its probably no more than 3"x 5" and not deep at all. Interesting afterthought but not practical enough to do anything worthwhile.
    My wife just ordered an A6 based on the safety ratings and great test drive and just after ordering the car we were comparing the A6 and A8 and Volvo S80 and noticed that the A6 does not have active head restraints but still is top-rated for rear-end collision safety.

There is a safety system called Audi backguard which is mentioned in the Audiusa safety pages for the Audi A4.

Is this system a good substitute for the safety of active head restraints offered by Volvo (WHIPS) and other safe car manufacturers or would a car seat with good geometry and active head restraints be safer? I also noticed that the 2007 Acura MDX had a Marginal rear crash protection score even though it has active head restraints (the RDX has a good rating with the same type of head restraint).

I guess I won't find out for real unless I get rear-ended on the highway but could anybody provide some information short of this type of test?
  • brian124brian124 Posts: 38
    You can also drive monster trucks over Volvos and the roof will not collapse.

For those of you who forget, Volvo got busted for showing commercials with monster trucks driving over their cars which had roof pillars that were reinforced with steel (only for the commercial).

I think you are over analyzing. The A6 is about as safe of a car as money can buy. I personally am more concerned with fracturing my lower limbs which is common in serious frontal collisions. I'd rather have a sore neck than a bone sticking through my pants if you know what I mean.

Needless to say, if you are in any of the cars you mentioned above and you hit a Prius, you are going to win, hands down. They are all very safe.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    ... I'd rather have a sore neck than a bone sticking through my pants if you know what I mean. ...

Yeah, that could be quite embarrassing if you're in front of a bunch of people. :P :blush:
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I wasn't going to go there, but :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

I know of somebody whose A6 went airborne at 80 MPH, went into a phone pole that had been converted to a fence post, and walked away w/o a scratch. I think they're pretty safe cars if you can walk away from something like that.

That is not to say that an A6 will be that safe in any accident. Speeds, force, angle of hit, etc, all play a role in survival. I rank Audi right up there though, along with the other German makers and Volvo.

-Paul
  • edwardsfedwardsf Posts: 187
    Paging Mark to the ELLPS discussion. Your friend Bluedotcom is proclaiming the superiority of Audi FWD over Quattro.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,071
    Not possible -- relax.
  • bargamonbargamon Posts: 302
    Good to see your still carrying the torch.

I got a 530i back in feb. that I ordered in December. Monaco blue with Auburn Interior. Picked it up in South Carolina and got all the goodies that come with it. Very impressive factory tour!

Why did I defect? 1. Manual Transmission. 2. Lease incentive.

I am paying $630 per mo on a 54k car with no money down. Just first mos. payment and some BS fees.

I still see there are not lease programs on the A6. I guess sales are good enough that they don't need it.

I miss the uniqueness of my AllRoad but very much am enjoying my 530i. I see why BMW owners are very loyal. The dealer network and follow up programs from BMW are nothing short of incredible.

Audi on the other hand never even contacted me about a replacement or offered even a single incentive for me to stay. No early out, no special rate, no contact except how to turn the lease car back in!

Would that have been the deal breaker? Naw, I might have found way to negotiate.

I did tell the dealer that I was going to wait 5 months before I got my next car and they should see if they can work something. It seemed they were always AT LEAST $100 per month more for similar priced cars than what I ended up doing on my BMW.

I need to feel reasonable about my purchase and I could not do this with Audi.

While BMW owners look down on Audi's I tend to feel both cars offer many positive attributes. I think the Audi Interior and exterior styling is perhaps better but the Bangle look has grown on me over the years and I like it. The fit and finish on both cars are excellent. I really do think the inline six is a better engine than the Audi and its nice to shift the transmission myself to control it.

Audi can woo me back providing the local dealer smartens up and perhaps come close to what BMW financial is doing.

Mark, Im glad at least you did not get that Infiniti. Looking at them now they really did not hold up well style wise. They look like Impalas!
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    I wouldn't say they look like Impalas! Now, an RL at the front looks like an Impala. But the M's styling has aged a lot considering it's only a 2 year old car. It doesn't appeal to me as much as it did initially. Now that I look at it more, it's too tall and narrow.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    BMW has heavily subsized the 5 and 7 series cars for quite a while. They painted themselves into a corner and had to cut deals on these cars to get them on the road. I guess it's good for BMW customers.

But the problem with BMW customers is that they expect every other car maufacturer to do the same thing. You only have to give stuff away if you're cars aren't moving.

I don't know of many $54,000 cars that you can lease for just over 600/mo with no money down.
  • ealazarusealazarus Posts: 23
    When I leased my 2007 Audi A6 I was surprised at the depreciation factor compared to MB and BMW....but I leased it and the more I drive it, the more I love it.

After 20 years of MB it was a big change and I am glad I did it.

As for subsidizing. When MB and BMW subsidize their cars all they do is "accelerate" the sale of that car from next month to this month and then next month they need to figure out how are they going to keep the ball rolling.

Yes, Audi let's the marketplace determine Depreciation and the Company does what it can to help with the money factory which is a small piece of the lease pie.

Just think, $7000 in rebates and low APR this weekend on Ford and Chevy trucks in addition to what the dealer discounts.....now that is what I call subsidizing vehicles that don't move.

Elliot
    . . .my A6 has virtually every possible option offered at the time, is a V6 and other than one set of new tires and the initial issues with the "push-button/smart-key," the car has been "flawless" as far as I am concerned.

Now with about 13K miles and 10 months left on the lease (and a wife in a similar situation with her BMW 2005 X3 -- minus one month), I am weary of test driving, but excited about "the next."

So, I wander into my Audi dealer (one of two) here in River City and look at the inventory of 2007's and the ONE 2006 S-Line (with all options) still sitting there (Misano Red, methinks is the reason they can't "give it away.")

I also have a maintenance interval and they give me a 2007 A6 with premium pack and 1,500 miles on the OD.

I get into the 2007 on the showroom floor, I use the loaner for a day and (if I'm lyin' I'm dyin') there is virtually no difference. The backup camera is nice -- I would like to have it -- but otherwise there is a digital speed readout in the center of the dash and, um, gee, nuttin' else.

The 2007 feels neither tighter, nor quieter, or more powerful, or smoother or, or -- AND it still is 255HP. And, it is a couple thousand more than mine at list.

I am hardly the kind of guy who leaps to saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it," and Audi did have a huge leap forward in 2005 when the C6 replaced the C5 -- but, gee; I have a 2005 car that apparently will be little changed (S-Line exterior trim and wheels being about all the changes that have been announced) when the 2008 start arriving in a few weeks from now. What's up with this approach?

BMW's 5 (at what appears to be the then price point between the 530xi and the A6 3.2 quattro) is now 300HP; Audi seems to be promising +10HP and no increase in torque for the cars with the 3.2 V6. Hmmm.

Why would Audi not be "doing something" to push the A6 forward at a bit speedier pace? Some [most?] of the cars in the LPS crowd seem keen to improve (even if it is "only" a mid-career refresh, such as the STS) their offering's power, content, features, etc. Audi seems to me to be "holding back" -- at least in the power department.

Truth be told, the A6's features, functions, content, build quality and -- as usual -- interiors, are contemporary and in the case of the interiors, class leading.

The car, for 2008, remains "nose heavy" and when equipped with the clever suspension bits and electronic stuff (that the Japanese had in 2005), well, the price gets just south of $60K.

It is in little need of new technology to remain competitive; yet, it could benefit from the new Audi architecture that moves the engine back (thus improving F/R weight distribution.) Perhaps: a DSG or 7 speed transmission or diesel or even the Audi bi-turbo treatment, the B&O sound system option, and/or a heads-up display -- SOMETHING to recognize that the market has evolved since they started building this generation in 2004.

I look at the new cars (that one can buy TODAY, let alone 10 months from now) that appear to be competing for my next purchase and my realistic choices ALMOST include keeping my car a bit longer, looking again at Infiniti, perhaps even Cadillac's (CTS & STS) and the Audi A5. The 2005 A6 seems "as if" it is as current and capable as the latest and greatest A6 apart from the SLine styling bits.

Maybe if it ain't broke. . .

Somehow, most of these "concerns," seems to me, would vanish with about 20% more HP and torque.

Couple the sub-venting BMW is still, apparently, willing to continue and it makes me wonder who would lease (or maybe even buy) an A6 3.2 quattro with Premium, S-Line, Technology and Convenience when compared with a BMW 535xi which certainly seems it would be much more of a "russsshhh" to pilot.

Maybe I could learn to tolerate i-Drive.

Or maybe, just maybe, a 300HP AWD Cadillac CTS with sport and all the toys (and all for 5 figures less) could be a contender.

The A6 needs more than exterior S-Line trim as its "main update" for 2008.

I remain, "often wrong, but never uncertain. . . ." :shades:
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    I have to agree with you, Mark. I keep looking for the A6 to keep pace with the advances of its competitors, but it has virtually remained identical, sans a few electronic gadgets, from the initial ones in '05.

I can't believe they don't have something to improve upon in the current V6 C6...
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180
    by markcincinnati May 27, 2007 (11:52 am)

I get into the 2007 on the showroom floor, I use the loaner for a day and (if I'm lyin' I'm dyin') there is virtually no difference. The backup camera is nice -- I would like to have it -- but otherwise there is a digital speed readout in the center of the dash and, um, gee, nuttin' else.

liferules, Replying to: markcincinnati (May 27, 2007 11:52 am)

I have to agree with you, Mark. I keep looking for the A6 to keep pace with the advances of its competitors, but it has virtually remained identical, sans a few electronic gadgets, from the initial ones in '05.

I agree with Mark and Liferules. While several 07 owners claim their cars are big improvements over the 05s, I don't see it. I have driven 07s as loaners and they feel the same as my 05. If a friend was looking to buy an A6 I would tell him to buy an 05 over and an 07 and save his money.
    One of the "benefits" of having a 2005 with about 35,000 miles on it is the use of the newest A6's as "loaners."

The loaners, typically, are 3.2's w/a "few" options, Premium, Sunroof, etc. They are not typically S-Line or V8's.

So, one gets the use of an A6 from time to time that is "brand new."

I kept my last loaner about 26 hours, and other than the digital readout of speed, there was NOTHING that indicated the loaner was a 2007 (other than the MSRP sticker in the glove box.)

I don't mean this is a bad thing. It just seems that there is NO difference (other than the aforementioned back up camera on cars equipped with the technology pkg.)

Check that, one other thing, the POWER ARTICULATED steering column adjustment can be had, now, on a 3.2, now, but not in 2005 (on one such as mine.)

Even the wheels are the same.

I'll wager a detailing of my Cambridge Green Pearl, Amaretto Premium leather equipped A6 would "fool its own mother" into thinking it was a 2007 vintage.

I don't need no stinking cosmetic changes -- but some would not be unwelcome. What I would expect is some, or even ONE, substantive advance: the backup camera and digital speedo and power steering column adjuster don't qualify.

When the power AND efficiency keeps rising (except for the Audi 3.2's) across the LPS landscape, it just makes me scratch my slowly balding head and say "what's up with this?"

Maybe the 2008's will be really heavily subvented and/or discounted to compensate.

:confuse:
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    If you can handle MMI, you can surely conquer iDrive. I prefer iDrive to MMI cuz all controls are RIGHT THERE with the dial vs the 4 external buttons to press around the MMI knob (not to mention the buttons for mode - Nav, AM/FM/SAT, CD, INFO...

The new 5 series iDrive has an extra button or so external to the knob so you can program them for your frequently used functions.

Now if my friend could get his quattro grinding in the front end taken care of, he'd be a VERY happy camper. Recap, sharp turns, usually while going VERY slow, like backing out of a parking slot, front end makes an EXTREMELY loud and very noticable vibration as the steering wheel approaches steering wheel lock and much more so when at actual lock.

I'm suspecting the differential or hub assemblies as a possible catch point as it does NOT do it when the vehicle is sitting still - otherwise I would have recommended he look at the steering pump.

-Paul
  • Hey I noticed on the EPA website that the 01 A6 requires premium gas, where I live gas is really pricey and there is a .20 cent differential between regular and +92 octane fuel. I know on certain cars the auto companies have premium to bump up performance #'s and the cars can run fine on regular just with decreased performance I don't mind the dip in horsepower but would this damage my engine? I heard that running regular in a premium can cause piston problems is this common with the 2001 2.8 Quattro A6 thanks
    You can run it on regular. It is a false economy to do so, however.

Do it, anyway, you will, apparently, feel better after using 1,000 gallons and "thinking" you have saved $200.

You probably won't hurt the pistons, the engine management computer will alter the ignition and it is likely you will use a bit more gas as the combination of your foot and the computer will simply trade one thing for another.

You can find information all over that will "argue" you will spend more than $200 with your approach; and, other arguments that you will "only" spend $100 more, thus saving about $100 bucks.

Gosh, at $3.29 per gallon vs $3.49, if this is really a worry, I'd simply NOT acquire or drive an A6.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    There is a significant body of both scientific and empirical evidence that suggests that using Regular gasoline in a car optimized for Premium (such as an A6) will result in measurably LOWER fuel economy. Said another way (using Mark's example), given that Premium gasoline is between 5% and 6% more expensive than Regular these days, any "savings" gained by buying fuel on the cheap will be eaten up due to having to buy fuel more often for any given number of miles driven.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • brian124brian124 Posts: 38
    There used to be an article on Edmunds about using fuel that had an octane rating that differed from what the manufacturer suggested. I couldn't find the link, but to recap the article, using octane that is too high for your engine results in fuel that is not fully used in the combustion process and as a result can damage your emissions system. Using fuel that is too low in octane rating can cause knocking which will damage your cylinder heads. So if you hear your engine knocking, you might want to reconsider the octane. What was said previously about the electronic fuel system compensating for lower octane might be true, but it wasn't discussed in the article.
    I have an '07 Audi A6 Quattro. I too have wondered about going on the cheap with regular or mid-level. However, I like the extra power of super and the cost savings of regular is offset by the better gas mileage with premium--plus no worries about any engine consequences.

Believe it or not, I'm getting over 24mph with the Audi and it only has 6k miles so far.

Here's what I do. If you drive with some common sense you can get some great gas mileage.

First, I always coast to stops when nearing lights. Saves on the brakes and the hated brake dust buildup.

I don't gun it taking off. I'm past the age (and ego) of racing lights.

Freeway mileage is helped by keeping it under 80. Since I enjoy the car so much, I tend to focus on the smooth ride and great Bose system.

I know its common sense, but check the tire pressure. Remember to do it when the tires are cold. A 10% reduction in pressure robs mileage unnecessarily. Plus it keeps those 18" tires from wearing prematurely.

Finally, I'm no driving prude. I take corners, off and on ramps like a mad man. Love that handling. That's where I get my driving kicks. Fast starts and stops just make no sense anymore.

Hope this helps. 24mph is nothing to sneeze at and I don't believe I'm shortchanging my driving experience.

Just my 2c.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I think this is what you were looking for: Do You Really Need Premium?

:)
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    I must be reading this wrong. I stopped in at an Audi dealer over the weekend and liked the looks of an A6. I thought "Gee, given their horrible resale caused by the unintended acceleration/defective coil pack experiences, I should be able to score a current body style A6 with quatro for a lot less than a Bimmer." I fired up my computer and ran some rough numbers for the MY 05. Edmunds has the private party value of an A6 quatro with the 4.2 V8 at 35K and with the 3.2 six it is 28K. Lo and behold, the Bimmer 530 is less money at 31K and the anemic Bimmer 525 still lower at 29K.

I thought Audis had horrible resale and you could pick up a good one on the cheap? I never expected that they were more money than a Bimmer. What gives?

Incidentally, I asked the sales guy six times about Mark from Cincinnat's claim that you could buy an A6 with a stick and each time he said no.