Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• There are two Audi, BMW and Mercedes dealers here in Cincinnati. The Audi folks, repeatedly, sell their cars (lease) for $100 to $200 more than their German AND Japanese competitors. It is becoming difficult (especially for my wife) to justify paying over $150 MORE for a non BMW.

And, the man is correct, finding an Audi A6 4.2 IN STOCK to test drive is difficult. BMW's dealers have plenty of stock of all of their models (well, almost.)

Of course, BMW's ONLY come in black or silver, so I guess if you can live with that, you will be happy.

Hopefully, my earlier post rings true, for it WILL be difficult to sell an A6 3.2 against a 535xi when the Bimmer is easily $100 or more per month less than the Audi.

Perhaps Audi is somewhat less than enthusiastic about selling/leasing in the US market.

More's the pity. :confuse:
  • kgarykgary Posts: 180
    I was recently in the UK and an A6 4.2, equipped similar to mine, had an MSRP of $115,000. The same car lists in the US for $60,000. Audi has very little motivation to ship cars to the US. BMW manufactures many of its cars in the US and does not have the same currency exchange issues.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    That's what I said as well before. Audi is making a lot more money on these cars in other places in the world. There's no need to give away cars and try to compete with BMW leases on the high end stuff.

Even though with record sales in the US, that still totals less than 100,000 cars in the entire US market for Audi.

Audi is very competitve on the A4 leases. It's their bread and butter car and the deals are quite good. You can get a Quattro A4 with more options for the same or less money as a 3 series or C class Mercedes.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,244
    to point out that much of the offshore price for various cars is made up of taxes that go directly to the government in question, particularly for upscale vehicles like the Audi. Displacement &/or horsepower (kW) can add 50-100% to the price of a vehicle, when compared to the 900cc version with 82 hp.

Whether Audi (or any of the rest of them) make more money in the process is very much a question in my mind. They probably do, but not at the levels some recent posts imply.
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    Well, for whatever reason, its unfortunate for those of us who really like the Audi's. I think they just need to invest in building a plant in the US, then the cost to the company to sell in the US could drop. :)

Bottom line, though, is that indeed the discriminant German buyer is often caught between Audi, Mercedes, and BMW. If all else is nearly equal, why would one pay more for an Audi when similar can be found cheaper at a competitor's dealership? I can't fault those who have switched to BMW or Merc... kind of hard to justify staying with an Audi, especially if leasing. And as people have stated, Audi doesn't currently seem too concerned about the US market, thus it doesn't send good vibes to the loyal customers knowing that they don't really fit into the current big scheme...
  • . . .perhaps you will see what I saw when I got my first look, up close and personal, at the S5, parked next to an S6.

What I am talking about is the upcoming A4 (a 4 door A5 from what I can tell) -- which, when parked next to a many thousands of dollars more expensive A6, ought to eat into A6 sales, substantially (unless, as I predict the A6's are subvented and / or discounted heavily.)

Use your imagination. . .

The next gen A6, then, ought to be another quantum leap, just to keep things in perspective. Having the new gen A4 in a few months next to the current gen A6, can't possibly help sell A6's, but it ought to mean few deals on A4's -- they just won't have to offer them when the A4 will no longer be CLEARLY MUCH SMALLER than the A6.

:surprise:
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,504
    This ( 2008 Model Year ) is actually when I expected that Audi would introduce a single or twin turbocharged version of the 3.2L ( 3.1L ? ) V6 – to extend \ sustain interest in the A6 until the next complete change.

I was wrong.
    Again.
    - Ray
    Not an automotive marketing expert . . .
    A6 leases have been bad over the last year or so, but on Audiusa.com, they do have a pretty agressive A6 lease @ 549/mo on nicely equipped $50,000 3.2 Quattro right now.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I'm thinking its time to co-opt markcincinnati's line...

Often wrong, never uncertain. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Has anyone ever used BG 44K fule additive or BG MOA oil additive? If so, are they any good? I have heard good things but I am leary about using them on my 05 4.2.
    Save your money, just maintain your car exactly as Audi recommends.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I agree & wouldn't put any additives in. The older your car gets, you might want to do sythentic oil every 5k instead of the regular 10k service intervals.
    Even that will be excessive. I pulled the heads off of one of our cars last summer, a car with nearly 145,000 miles on it and had only had its Mobil 1 changed every ten to twelve thousand miles since it was new. So? Well, believe it or not, the cylinder walls still had the factory honing marks easily visible to the naked eye on all six cylinders. Given that I've torn down many-many engines and never seen an engine lubricated with conventional oil go even 75,000 miles with such a small amount of wear, I was really impressed.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1418/751628521_5567e459ae_o.jpg

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,244
    Going back 30 years, I changed the oil in my 240Z every 3K miles (more or less) & at 200K miles decided to tear the engine down because it smoked on startup. Didn't use a lot of oil, but the consumption had gone up.

Well, all I needed was stem seals (if you don't know what they are, it's a relatively simple fix that can be done from the top without tearing the engine down) & I was pleased (& impressed) to see the hone marks in the cylinders after eight times around the world. I still respect Nissan & straight sixes (not in that order) after that.

Bear in mind that oils in the '70's weren't anything near as good as they are now.

Change the oil on a regular schedule & use the best money can buy. Repeat.
    The motor in the original 240Z was one of the great motors of that era. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • try to replace the fuse(s) for the dash lights, etc. Should be very inexpensive ($10!) Not sure if Audi has them all labeled in the owners manual. Don't let the dealer charge you for a new dash if you haven't had someone look at that first. Same was happening on my Saab (when it was 6yo). Otherwise it could be a defective dash illumination switch.
  • I'm looking to buy cpo 2006 a6quattro. Local Audi dealer has one listed for 38k with 24kmiles. what are the must-have packages? warnings?I need cpo so I can get 100k mile coverage bec. I do 20k/yr. Looking to keep this thing a long time.
  • I finally solved my problem with my 2005 A6. I traded it for a new 2008 Cadillac CTS. Not that I didn't think my A6 wasn't a nice riding car(I had a 1998 A6 before it) but I was tired of Audi's customer service about a problem with my car. My car had an annoying clicking noise that I would hear in the car when the climate control called for heat to the cabin. After having many service techs try to find and fix it with no success I finally wrote to the president of Audi to seek help. I was contacted by his representative who arranged for a field representative to come a listen to the clicking. He diagnosed it as a noise that comes from the heater vent doors that open and close as they distribute heat to the cabin. He said that it could not be corrected and it was a "characteristic" of the car. For most Audi drivers they probably wont hear the noise because for some unexplainable reason it would only happen when the engine was reeving at about 2800 rpms or higher. If you drive in automatic your engine probably shifts to a higher gear before the engine gets to 2800 rpms.,but since I use the manual shift mode(that's why it's there) I typically would run the engine higher than 2800 rpms before I would shift. So since Audi had no solution to this "characteristic" of the car I solved the problem by trading it. By the way my car only had 26,000 miles so it was still relatively new. As I told Audi I wont buy another car from them and I hope the president of Audi car doesn't make the same noise. I love my new Cadillac CTS. Check it out.
  • Based on my experience -- which is over 2 dozen Audis deep -- I would say you took a step sideways. I have the 2005 A6 3.2 Q with all options save sport suspension. Your CTS MAY not have the "issues" your A6 had. You did not, however move forward -- indeed, based on the fact that the 2008 CTS with every possible option almost measures up to the 2005 in terms of features and amenities, and due to lease costs, costs more per month. . . .er, I would say you actually moved back a step.

Your reliability issues are not typical. Your opinion is, therefore, NOT representative of anything other than you singular experience. And, by the same token, even though I have had several dozen Audis without the kind of issues you describe, neither is my opinion representative of anything other than my plural experiences.

I really like the new CTS -- a lot. It is about equal to a 2004 Audi A6 2.7T SLine overall, however.

My primary attraction to the CTS WAS and I assume will be, the inevitability of huge off MSRP discounts to compensate for its rapid depreciation and "not quite" German car feel. Secondarily, I want(ed) an American car, I wanted a car that was really as good looking as the new CTS is and I assumed the CTS would be a drop dead bargain (after the first 6 - 9 months on the market.) I had hoped it would be the equivalent of a 2005 A6 3.2 quattro with Premium, Premium Leather, Technology, Convenience, voice command, MMI, back up sensors, etc etc etc, plus sized wheels and tires and all the rest of the German toys money can buy.

Alas it just ain't so.

But if it comes in on a lease with a number beginning with a "low 5" -- I'll overlook its being "state of the art," circa 36 months AGO.

:surprise:
    You posted three times in the A6 forum in 2004. The the next time you post is to tell us that you sold the car. Why did you feel the need to return after three years to let us know that you sold the car? Why did you choose not to use this forum as an asset to diagnose your problem? It is possible that someone else may have experienced the problem and had been able to get it fixed. It is possible that had you posted your problem on this forum that someone would have sent you a TSB on the problem. I don't expect to hear back from you because it is clear that you only returned to this forum to bash the car.
  • If you looked at my postings you will indeed see that I made a post (message#862) on 3-18-07in which I did state my problem and ask if anyone had the same problem. I think to date nobody responded. Again, as I stated in my last message that probably not many people drove in the triptonic mode therefore didn't normally reach the rpms that made the noise noticeable. Did I make the post to bash Audi,probably? But after spending many months trying to get Audi to recognize that either my car had a problem or there was a design defect in the heating system of their cars, I was frustrated enough to want to let other people know how Audi handled my problem
  • Just to clarify The post about the noise in my A6 was under Audi A6 maintainence and repair 862 on 3-18-07. That seemed to be the appropriate forum for my post.
  • I just changed my wheels today to put winter tires on my 2000 Audi A6. I used my parking brake (which I rarely do), but when I finished and went to drive the car, the parking brakes were stuck, even though the hand lever was released and returned to the "off" position. Has anyone had this problem of a sticking parking brake, and can anyone offer any solutions? My car is now sitting stuck in place in my driveway. Thanks.
  • have an 04 Audi A6 s-line. It has low miles, 28k and it's warranty is up. The extended warranty is for 3 yrs or 36k miles, which puts me at 64k. Is this worth $2800 for a car with low miles????
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,665
    $2800 invested at 10% per year is about $3600 in 3 years.

$2800 is only $78 per month for the 3 years; if you like insurance, $78 per month could probably throw another half million in your life insurance policy...not to suggest the odds of collecting on a life policy is equal to the odds of catastrophic repairs on an A6 :)

If I were looking at a used A6 with only 28k miles I wouldn't bother with an extended warranty because I would think with the miles so low it should “last” much longer without serious repairs.

What was your total repair bill last year?

If you need repairs, such as suspension, HID's, transmission, etc. it will be very expensive. Any single item probably wouldn't top $2800 (unless you need to replace the transmission).

Is this warranty a 3rd party, or an Audi extended warranty?

As a co-worker's divorce attorney puts it “...it's only money, how much peace of mind do you want?”
  • It's hard to say what my bill was as I was under warranty, although i did have to bring it in for a few minor items, one was the rear window not working properly which i hear is about $800. I brought it in once for the gas gage not working , but was when they looked at it, so I don't think it was replaced and malfunctioned again this weekend for a day. The warranty I was referring to was the Audi warranty.
  • I'm in the process of purchasing an Audi Platinum 7 yr/70K warranty. My price quote was nearly over $700 less than yours.

I personally am in favor of it. The Audi A6 is a great car but complex and prone to little glitches that cost a lot to repair. This year alone, I've had over $2500 of warranty-covered repairs to it (defective adaptive light, sun roof stuck open, door creaking, adaptive light again, etc...). I would not take this car out of warranty without an EW. Granted, it will not cover as much as the factory warranty, but is better than going "commando". Yes, on average, one may or may not pay $2500 in repairs during the life of the warranty, but with an Audi, it doesn't take that many repairs to cover it, and the peace of mind is definitely a factor to consider...
  • this is helpful, i called audi, they can offer a 6yr/60 mile for 1752, plus $240 for turbo, and $375 for a no deductable. I called a 3rd party, American Mercury. They have a 5 year, 75k mile that starts now, unlike the 6 yr which starts the year of the car. Mercury has that one for $2405, plus $125 no deductable. They say the only thing it doesn't cover is the safety belts, air bags, and speakers.. Strange. Only question is this worth it, probably, will they stay in business? who knows..
  • Yeah, tough call. I personally would go with the Audi warranty. I would presume there is less haggling when it is time to pay the service center...
  • My car is 2 months shy of 3 yrs. old, and I'm itching to enhance the sound. Any recommedations about a cat-back w/b appreciated.