Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• I purchased an A6 last August. Since then, I have been driven a loaner car (A4) almost 9 weeks becasue my a6 has been kept by local audi dealer to fix a probelm.

Even if they have spent total 9 weeks to figure out and been trying to resolve the issue the car has, still they have not resolved the issue. Now what can i handle this situation?

I am very skeptical to keep that. In order to evade a lemon law, they have not wanted to release the car before they confirm that the issue is resolved.

This means that I may drive a4 several weeks more.

I am really regretting about purchasing a A6 instead of lexus GS series ( expected better reliability).

the best thing I want is to return and purchase another brand.

Any suggestion for this situation would be appreciated.

Thanks a ton.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,665
    Has your long term A4 loaner experienced any problems?

The 09 A4 is very attractive and similar in size to the A6. Or if you like the Euro feel there are others that are compelling (C class, 5 series etc)

This is assuming you could get out of your existing situation. I would followup with the lemon law; 9 weeks is unacceptable

It's difficult to stay with a brand after a bad (terrible) experience
  • Just wondering if anyone had suggestions for replacement tires for my Audi A6 Avant. Mostly highway driving in the Midwest with 3-4 snows per year. Not looking to change tires seasonally so touring all-season tires most practical. I have ContiPro 245/45/17 inch tires now that made it almost 35,000 miles. I would like a tire with a little better wear but no increase in road noise. Research thus far shows good marks for General Altimax HP and poor marks for Michelin Pilot MXM4. Any info would be appreciated.
  • mark49mark49 Posts: 5
    Just bought a model stated wondering what the large service costs on avarage and the small service oil change basic? Love driving the car
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Haven't had any major costs on my wife's 05 A6 3.2. It's all been under warranty.

That said, I do as much as I can myself. I replaced her brakes myself easily. I do the oil changes (the filter is on TOP and easy to get to) and I have a fluid extractor to get the oil out, but I can put it on wheel ramps to get the remaining oils out. The ONLY thing hers will see the dealer for is if something breaks.

-Paul
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    Good day to all of you. This past weekend, my wife and I purchased an '04 A6 3.0 Quattro with 63K miles on it. The car was in better than good condition, but slightly less than excellent. The maintenance was on point and it showed. The car drives, rides and performs extremely well and I think we made a good purchase. My question to the forum is...should there be things I need to look for on this car? Is it known to have any issues that have plagued other owners??? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Congrats, Mike. Nice to see you over here! :)
    Thanks Pat, I promise to play nice over here! ;)
    It never occurred to me you would do otherwise. :shades:

Tell us more about your A6. Were you looking to add a car or did something just work out for you? You do still have your Azera?
    :blush: Oh Pat!

Actually...unloaded the '07 Saturn Outlook which was our 2nd vehicle, so we needed to replace it. So...it was really a move to scale back, however...walking into this deal, it was hard to walk away from it. Not to mention, it made the wife happy, so it was a win/win deal!!!

We started looking Thursday evening and came across one that was just in terrible condition. The salesman said, "Yeah...she's a tomboy, but when you take her out to run...she'll show you just how she can go." Sorry...I'll pass. The 2nd one was actually a twin of the one we ended up buying, but with 30K more miles and a cigarette smell on the inside. We left, but kept it on our list.

Friday morning, our first stop was where we found the one we bought. The exterior was practically pristine to be honest. Hard to believe it was an '04 with 63K miles. Got in and interior was immaculate, no worn buttons, no buttons or knobs broken and the rear seats don't even look like they've been sat in. Front seats have, but don't look like they are 5 years old at all (actually better condition than the leather in my 3 year old Azera). Carfax showed only 2 previous owners and the maintenance was kept up faithfully. That final push was that the wife fell in love with it. Took it for a test spin and everything was just so easy to fall in love with...I actually want one for myself! LOL

The only negative thing we've found is that it didn't have the 2nd remote key and the rear speakers don't work (non-Bose system) which isn't a problem for me as I intended to upgrade the sound system anyway. :shades:

I still have my Azera, as the plan is to drive it till the wheels fall off (sounds good, right?).
    I have to say I've been generally interested in an A6 for some time. Not sure I'll ever get around to making it happen (especially in these recent times), but I very much admire the car. Hope it treats you well!!
    Pat...I honestly didn't know much about Audis until recently. I love the styling they've gone to as of late. As much as I love the newer models, this '04 was very affordable and it has a timeless look to it. I hope it treats us well too. I plan on keeping up the immaculate maintenance on this car just to ensure it will give us fewer problems (if any).
  • free4allfree4all Posts: 2
    Hey luckylindy, I have a Audi A6 (2006 model) with 120K miles and a problem very similar to your post. The problem is intermittent...when it occurs it takes longer than normal to get cool air in the center vents while the driver side vent (and the vent in the top of driver side door) blow very hot air. Sometimes the problem goes away when I restart the car. My mechanic (not dealer) checked the car and the freon is good and there are no other hardware problems. He suggested I go to the dealer to have the software "refreshed" (since he doesn't have the programming tools). How did you fix your problem? Thanks in advance for your help.
    120k on an '06...WHOA!!! I thought I did a lot of driving! Hope you find a solution to your problem.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,244
    You're responding to a post over two years old. A large number of the people who post on Edmunds are hit and run. There are relatively few long-termers, and I don't believe luckylindy is one of them, given that there are 10 posts in the name, and the last time he/she posted was in January of 2007.
    But we are always glad to revive older conversations because others may have some input. :) It doesn't really matter if the original poster is still around or not.

Welcome free4all, hope we can answer your questions.
  • jduffy12jduffy12 Posts: 1
    I have had this same issue and it's gotten worse over the past year.. It started with the outter vents and now all of the vents are blowing hot air. I'm not looking forward to a humid Philadelphia summer with no AC. The first mechanic who I took it to couldn't figure it out. If anyone has a solution as to how to fix this, please let me know!! Thanks, John
  • trabd123trabd123 Posts: 37
    Hello,
    I have an Audi 06 A6 lease with 17k miles. The lease will end on May 25th but the dealer will be able to buy the car from VW Financial and then sell it back to me with $700 off the residual value which is 26,500 so the final purchase price is $25,800 without certifying it. The car is in excellent condition with a couple of dents that could cost $300 to fix.

I haven't done the final inspection yet.

The car has the technology package but not the navigator. Is it worth buying this car?

Thanks.
  • jeqqjeqq Posts: 216
    There is a TSB on this. Here's a paste from a friend's post.

Temperature different between front driver and passenger sides
    80 08 03 2013883/4 June 25, 2008. Supersedes Technical Service Bulletin Group 80 number 08-01 dated
    March 20, 2008 to clarify step 3.
    Model(s) Year VIN Range Vehicle-Specific Equipment
    A6 2005 – 2007 All
    A6 2008 000001 – 097314
    Not Applicable
  • free4allfree4all Posts: 2
    Thanks for the post. I ended up taking the car to the dealer. They replaced the left (one of three) coolant valve and flushed the coolant to remove any deposits (which may have caused the valve to stick???). Expensive, but the air conditioning is working again. Let's hope this is the end of this story.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,071
    Are you planning to CPO it?

I would.

Otherwise, if you know and love the car, this doesn't seem like a bad deal to me -- it is also not exactly an OH WOW deal -- but you will know what you are getting.

CPO it and drive off into the sunset.

Or, make sure the temptation of the new A6 will not cause you any regrets.

I kept my all optioned 2005 A6 to 60,000+ miles and loved it virtually every mile.

I now have what may well become my best (of 29) Audis ever -- a 2009 A4 Prestige 2.0T tiptronic, also all optioned. I am, NOW, glad to have it, rather than keeping the 2005 A6.

At first I didn't see what all the fuss was about -- but the new A4 is actually "better" than the 2005 A6 in several respects.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,580
    the new A4 is actually "better" than the 2005 A6 in several respects.

Mark: how does the performance and gas mileage of the A4 2.0T compare to the A6?

(Sorry if this has been discussed before.)
  • lewkowiczlewkowicz Posts: 3
    Have a 2001 A6..the remote key access does not work, can this be repaired or do i need to buy a new one for 200.00.
    Have you replaced the battery? I own an '04 and in the owner's manual, there's a section that tells you how to re-program the remote if it should stop working. If either of those don't fix the problem, you may need to go to the Audi dealer and have them look at the remote.

Does the remote itself cost $200 or is that with the key? You can order a remote with no key and just have your key switched over to the new remote when it comes in. However, you will have to pay to get the new key re-programmed ($125 here in DC Metro area) and you have to take ALL the keys at one time to get done, not just the new one.
  • rstoergerrstoerger Posts: 17
    I am in the middle of researching what to do next (currently in a 2006 A6) and believe I saw a residual for 12K miles/year for a non-Prestige at 48%. I have more experience with research with A4 and Q5s and noticed that going from 10K to 12K to 15K miles/yr lowered 1%. Going from Premium to Premium Plus to Prestige also lowered the residual 1%. The only thing that raised the residual 1% was building Audi Care maintenance back in recovered 1%. I would suggest adding the Audi Care. The sad part for me is that the residuals are very low, especially on this car. Even looking at the Q5, I finally gave up on a Prestige and simply added options to a Premium Plus as 1% residual makes a big difference in the monthly. As for MF, I haven't seen anything over 1%. I think the A6 is .0003 (.72%). The key is going to be the residual.
  • saxon2nsxsaxon2nsx Posts: 19
    Well guys for the longest time I have had the Audi fever. I have my eyes on a 2000 V8 with 112000 miles and the price is attractive: 6700 and that is before negotiations which means 6500 to 6000 depending how well I can deal. The car looks nice and well taken care of.

My questions are:

1. What should I look out for that is specific to this model/year/engine?
    2. How is this particular combination (2000 A6 V8 4.2 ) regarded in the Audi world?
    3. Is this a decent deal?
    4. Is this particular set up considered solid, long lasting, desirable?
    5. How is the engine and tranny on a V8?
    6. Do you guys have any specific advice, remarks, advice?

any input is much appreciated since I never had an Audi. :blush:
    Join Consumer Advice Editor, Phil Reed, and other Edmunds staff for an auto industry chat TONIGHT, Wednesday, 9:00 -10:00 pm/et (6:00 -7:00 pm/pt). To enter the chat, click on the banner at the top of the page.

See you there!
    I had one of these -- I'll give you some input:

1. What should I look out for that is specific to this model/year/engine?

Nothing that I know of -- the 4.2 is thirsty, but the thing is powerful and smooth and sounds great.

I had brake disk issues with mine which Audi fixed by replacing the entire brake system -- otherwise it only has a 5speed auto which TODAY would be considered, "old fashioned."

2. How is this particular combination (2000 A6 V8 4.2 ) regarded in the Audi world?

I don't know specifically about "2000" -- but I had a 1997 A8 4.2, a 2000 A6 4.2 and a 2001 A6 4.2 sport -- in fact the only reason I got rid of the '00 was that I wanted ESP which was not an option at the time I got my '00 A6.

The Audis equipped with the 4.2, as far as I know, are always highly regarded.

3. Is this a decent deal?

I am clueless -- the deal is good if you think it is would be my best answer.

4. Is this particular set up considered solid, long lasting, desirable?

Solid = yes
    Long lasting = well it already has 112,000 miles on it so I would think that means yes again
    Desirable = sure, it looks good since it was still fresh as of 2004 -- no one would ever know how old it was if it is in as good a shape as you suggest

5. How is the engine and tranny on a V8?

The engine on my three Audis with the 4.2 was a joy (other than gas mileage)

6. Do you guys have any specific advice, remarks, advice?

Have it checked out completely by two places (hell, make one of them an Audi dealer) -- repairs on this car will be breathtakingly expensive.

The 2000 A6 4.2 with the upgraded wheels and tires MOST of them came with rides great, handles much better than its pork over the front wheels suggests it has a right to, is fast, quick and quiet. The brakes, for me, were the only areas of weakness along with the so called tip lag issue which did have a software fix to address.

Again, if it is clean and purty and checks out by qualified technical shops (2 different ones), and YOU like the deal -- go with it.

OH yea, the thing likes young tires.
  • dm1212dm1212 Posts: 59
    Over the last week or so my 05 A6 3.2 is making a popping noise coming out from various parts of the bottom of the car. Its not all the time though. I don't know whats wrong with it. It pretty positive it will be covered under warranty, but I'm clueless what to tell the dealer. I know when I take it to Audi, the noise will go away and I'll look like a fool.

Has anyone else had this problem?
    Known issue, did not rise to a recall, but there was a service procedure that took care of this exhaust system issue.

Tell them about it, they have heard of it before.

Not a biggie.