Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• I have a 1998 A6 Quattro with about 30,000 miles. About 3 weeks ago I had my fourth oil leak in about 2 months time, I brought it back to the dealer and they fixed it, but then the check engine light came on (while Audi still had it) so they didn't give it back to me. They said the engine was miss firing. They did tons of stuff to the engine (changed belts, spark plugs, etc) and nothing seemed to stop the miss firing. My car has been in the dealer for over 2 weeks and today they are calling Audi for help, b/c they don't know how to solve the problem. Has anyone else had any engine problem with their 2.8 engine??
  • petrie3petrie3 Posts: 47
    I've been away for the weekend and didn't see your post until today. I agree with your comment on the S80 handling; good but not in a league with the A6 and quattro. I haven't driven the S60, but I can imagine that it feels a little tighter and quicker. If it has enough room for you and is that much cheaper, can't blame you for going with the S60. Volvo has certainly put lots of R&D in that car too and I'm sure you'll like it. On the other hand, if that size is OK with you, you might want to wait until the NEW A4 is released in the U.S. Great looking redesign (something like the A6) and lots of new stuff. Others may know, but I think it is coming here this summer (2002 model). Either way, you'll have a great car!
  • mosi1mosi1 Posts: 12
    Like islandlog I'm considering utilyzing the Premier Purchase option. I'd like to put down a substantial amount and not have a monthly payment for three years and then pay off the baloon, or refinance at that time. Does this make sense? I'm told the residual on 2.7T's and 4.2's are in the neighborhood of 57% after 3 years. I suppose I would have to pre-pay the 36 monthly payments to make this work. Any other ideas?
  • bxbybxby Posts: 1
    I am new to this discussion and haven't spent the time going thru past postings so I apologize in advance if I am repeating a question. I am considering buying my wife an A6 but am torn between the 2.8Q and the 2.7T. Specifically, I am concerned that the 2.8 may be underpowered. However, I would certainly like to avoid paying the additional $5k for the 2.7 if I wouldn't always feel like I made a mistake. I would appreciate hearing from 2.8 owners as to their experiences.
  • tubeytubey Posts: 39
    I am a very happy owner of a '99 2.8 and, as I've said on this forum before, it's fast enough to get me in trouble with the law.

Around town acceleration is a bit leisurely, but can be improved somewhat with use of the Tiptronic feature. Out on the highway, it has good mid-range punch if you downshift to at least third and will certainly fly from 70 on up.

It all depends on your needs. Some people feel they really need the extra acceleration for entering freeways, etc. My driving situation must be tamer, I guess. I had a Taurus SHO that was a really accelerator, but that was about the only thing I liked about the car. But I like so many things about my Audi that leisurely acceleration is hardly a concern.

When I bought mine the 2.8's were more heavily equipped than they are now (there was no 2.7T or 4.2)so mine stickered at $42,225. I know that now they are cheaper than that, but, I don't believe, have the same option choices. Mine has everything but a phone, but, since it's a '99, it doesn't have ESP, sidecurtain airbags, or steering wheel controls.

Yes, I have absolutely no regrets. Nor have I had any problems in 15,300 miles.
  • I agree -- with the remarks made by "tubey." If you want a stick shift, however, you must go with the 2.7T as Audi dropped it for this year's 2.8's.

No matter what you end up with, make certain it has ESP (about a $550 option on those that don't have it standard, yet.) My dealer claims that those with ESP will command much more on the used market, especially as ESP is getting to be more mainstream -- not quite as much as ABS -- yet, but next year, for example ALL Audi's will have ESP -- ALL US Audi's and probably elsewhere. One other thing, the sport package makes the car handle better -- I don't know if it is available on the 2.8 -- if not and there is a wheel/tire upgrade that will make a difference -- go for that.

I had a '99 A6 2.8Q loaded to the gills -- other than OFF THE LINE, the car was a pleasure to drive and had very few maint. problems. I would recommend it -- unless you really "need" the quickness that the 2.7T will supply -- and supply big time.

New Subject:

I am starting to get a real good case of the "ick" for Pirelli P6000 Z rated tires (I now have 1,500 miles on my 2001 A6 4.2 'sport') -- they are not good in cold weather at all (notice I did not say wet or snowy weather, I said COLD weather); they are also noisy -- this is mostly an FYI as I am going to put Dunlop SP 9000's on the car in a month or so. Why bother, Audi? These tires are merely "good" -- you have put Michelen's and Dunlop's best on several other Audis in the past -- it seems like I just "got unlucky." Not to blame Audi alone, seems like the manufacturers of some of the best European cars "undertire" their cars from time to time -- so I guess it is not just an Audi thing.

Anyway -- the difference in price (on line retail difference is about $60 per tire) is worth it and if offered the choice, I would pay for something other than Pirelli P6000's -- any thoughts, anyone, Bueler, Bueler. . . .

There, I feel better, now.
  • rjsenrjsen Posts: 30
    Well, I had an A4 2.8 non-sport, and now I have an S4 (2.7T engine). I certainly couldn't say that the 2.8 was underpowered (at least in the A4), but the S4 is definitely a lot more fun. I think it mostly depends on how you like to drive -- if you generally drive fairly "normally" in the city or on highways, the 2.8 should be fine. If you like to drive on twisty mountain roads and take your car to the track occasionally, get the 2.7T. Go drive both and see what you think. My guess is you'll probably be happy with the 2.8.

I have the P6000's on my S4, and I don't think they're all that bad. True, they don't handle like S-02PP's or Pilot Sports, but for a stock tire on a non-sports car (even the S4 isn't a pure sports car), they're quite acceptable. Make sure they're sufficiently inflated (mine are at 45psi). One piece of advice -- the SP9000's aren't going to be any quieter, and won't handle *that* much better. If you're going to bother changing tires (which I probably will too, in spite of what I just said), go with Bridgestone S-02 Pole Positions (1st choice) or Michelin Pilot Sports (2nd choice). FWIW, the P6000's are vastly better than the stock ContiTourings that were on my A4.
  • nszabonszabo Posts: 19
    Recommend the Dunlop 9000's
  • petrie3petrie3 Posts: 47
    I've got Dunlop SP9000s on my 2000 2.7t(PSK)and I love them. I think they are very quiet and smooth riding. Performance in the rain is fantastic. I'm in SoCal so don't need all-weather tires. In the heavy rains last week, I felt like I was driving on dry pavement.
  • We bought a 2.8Q for my wife about two months ago and I think we both feel the acceleration is just fine. I am, however, a little disappointed in how the tiptronic transmission handles the power of the 2.8 engine. With some real time lags in how it shifts, in both auto and tip modes, it seems to be somewhat less responsive than I'd like. Don't know if that improves with age or not. Whatever, I do suggest that between you and your wife, you should make an honest assessment of what's important in the car that SHE is going to drive. It's possible that acceleration is not really one of her "hot buttons". I kind learned that lesson the hard way. I spent tons of hours researching new cars only to find out that the attributes I held in high regard were not what was most important to her. What sold her on the A6 was the absolutely gorgeous interior. That little oversight on my part cost me about $10K more for her new car than I thought I was going to spend on the car I had chosen. I'd like to say that I'm learning to love the A6 but I don't get to drive it that much, and until this transmission thing is cleared up, I'm reserving judgment on whether it was the right choice or not. Oops, there I go again! It's not my choice!!
  • rwishrwish Posts: 20
    1.) Pirelli P6000
    Mark,

Don't know if you remember but I'm the guy who's debating going to +1 size with a 2000 2.7T. I'm curious as to why you went for the Pirelli P6000 instead of the P7000SS? The Pirelli P7000SS is a very highly regarded all weather tire. From my homework, I've narrowed it to this tire and the Dunlop SP5000 and am leaning to the Pirelli. As you, I live in Cincy so the winter gets careful consideration. BTW, while the jury is still out, I believe what I've decided is to wait till spring and then get the 17" OZ Nova wheels (with the Pirelli or Dunlop tires). I figure I can make it through the rest of the winter on my Dunlop 9000's and save the new wheels from the salt/winter wear.

2.) 2.7T vs. 2.8
    bxby,

Earlier this year I began searching for a new car and the Audi A6 quickly made the short list. Among my test drives was the 2.8 and I instantly fell in love with it. The short list was narrowed to one after that drive. My dilemma was that I did not want to buy new and insisted on a manual. Since the A6 wasn't offered in a manual until the 2000 version, finding a used one was like finding a needle in a haystack. Finally in Oct. my patience paid off when I saw a 2.7T advertised at a Louisville dealership (remember I really was looking for a 2.8). I went down on a Saturday and test drove it and was blown away. The driving experience for me was MUCH more fun than the 2.8. After much haggling, we reached a price and 3 days later, they brought it up to Cincy for me (how's that for service). Since the purchase EVERY review I've read on the A6 has been consistent on one theme. The 2.8 is underpowered COMPARED to the 2.7T and the 4.2. They then go on to say that for the price difference between the 2.7T and the 4.2, the 2.7T is a better deal. Now notice above that the word COMPARED. The 2.8 in it's own right is a fantastic car; it just isn't as sweet as the 2.7T. I personally love the instant gratification when I tap down on the accelerator. There is ZERO lag and the car doesn't suddenly lurch forward, it just goes and does so quickly and smoothly. If acceleration isn't important to you, the 2.8 will do nicely. I don't think what the 2.7T offers is a necessity but rather it makes the driving experience more fun. It really boils down to your personal preference. Hope this helps and good luck.

Rick
  • timcartimcar Posts: 363
    I just brought a 2.7T home last night, so my answer to this question is obvious. But it's MY answer, yours may be different. As many have said, there is no right choice, only what is right for you. IMHO the only way to know is to spend some wheel time with each. They're different cars. Reading, comparing, etc., really can't tell you enough. 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour behind the wheel will tell you most of what you need to know.

I've found the site below very helpful in learning about and comparing different tires. Their surveys are particularly useful. I have no association with these folks. Personally, when my Conti's go, it's SP5000's. I've heard just too much on AudiWorld about cupping on Pirelli's.

http://www.tirerack.com/about/helpwant.htm
  • eragererager Posts: 3
    I'm considering purchase of a used car, and I'm interested in input from Audi owners. I'm considering 1998 cars because I don't like buying new cars considering dealer hassles and depreciation. There are lots of 98s coming
    off lease now.

My wants:
    *"Near Luxury" (i.e. nice car for driving with friends and business clients)
    *Reliability
    *Decent fuel efficiency
    *Safety
    *Roomy enough back seat to seat two comfortably

Since my query on "which would YOU buy" is about YOU, feel free to substitute your own criteria. But note that auto handling, power, cornering
    are not my primary considerations --- assuming the car performs and handles decently.

Here are the cards I'm considering:

1998 Audi A6
    Prices realized @ dealers' auction: $20k-25k, depending on odometer, condition, and options. Less for non-Quattro if you can find one.

1998 Lexus ES300
    Prices realized @ dealers' auction: $16k-21k, depending on odometer, condition, and options.

1998 or 1997 BMW 528 (with more miles on it than either the A6 or ES300 to keep the price down) Prices realized @ dealers' auction: $24k-28k, depending on odometer, condition, and options. There are many between $28k and $32k, but as I wish to stay under $30k, I would have to buy one with 40,000 miles plus (maybe even 50k plus) on the odometer (feel free to factor that in to your decision).

I plan to test drive each of these in the coming weeks., but based on the reviews and research on the Internet, I've narrowed the field to these three (but if you have a strong recommend on another I'm willing to listen.) I'm big on reliability and I'm a real debt-hater, so that favors the Lexus it seems. I like the uniqueness of the A6, and without the Quattro it's a lot
    of luxury for the price. I like the prestige and looks of the BMW.

So, if you were buying, which would you get?
  • Believe me, I did NOT elect the Pirelli P6000's -- the car came from Germany on December 21, 2000 with those tires on it!

My previous tires on my 2000 model A6 4.2 were 17" 255x40 series Dunlop SP9000's and after 20K miles and four seasons (in Cincinnati) I felt the 9000's handled better, did not have "cold" weather problems (flat spots until warmed up, etc.) and that they were much quieter especially at speeds under 50MPH.

So, unless I missed the section on the order form where it said "tire brand and model" -- I just took what the factory sent as part of the A6 4.2 2001 sport package. I will keep the Pirellis in the garage and let the dealer have the "almost new" P6000's back when I trade in 27 or 28 months from now.

And thanks to all for their input on my tire rants. As I said, I think the tires (P6000's) are GOOD, not as GOOD as the car deserves, however. At this price point I think we all have a right to some degree of "preference." Too bad we can't order (configure on line) the specific tires, etc. when we order these cars.
  • jim3039jim3039 Posts: 28
    I picked up my 2.8 three weeks ago and am very pleased with its exceleration among other things. I live in Los Angeles, and its power is well suited for my needs. I would agree with the other remarks posted here, the 2.8 is not under powered in its own right. And when you considered all the wonderful attention to detail and quality Audi has put into the A6, its a bargain.

Good Luck. Let us know what you decide.
  • I surprised my wife last spring with a A6 2.7T for her birthday. I test drove the 2.8 and the 2.7T and concluded if I was going to spend this kind of money for a car, why not go all the way. We both simply love the car. She first drove the car from Michigan to Colorado last summer, and then over the holidays we decided to go again to do some skiing. The punchline is we have taken the car on four 22+ hour one-way trips just because it is so much fun to drive. I may be saying the same thing about the 2.8 but no question there is a very noticeable difference in the acceleration. My wife even gave the car a nickname (audette), and treats her like a part of the family. Her favorite comment is "audette needs to stretch her legs" when out on the expressway. Neither of us have ever enjoyed any previous cars to the same extent.

Does anyone have any experience with the a6 avant, or the newer off road capable version with the 2.7T? I need to replace my car and am thinking about getting another audi.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Posts: 635
    Walter,

I don't have a lot to add to what the others here have already written. As a 2000 2.8 quattro owner, I'm in full agreement that the 2.8 is outstanding in an absolute sense; the 2.7T is even more outstanding. I chose the 2.8 over the 2.7T based purely on economics; when I bought, I could afford a 2.8 quattro equipped the way I wanted it, but an identically-equipped 2.7T was simply out of reach for me. I test drove a 2.8 and was pleasantly surprised to find it more than adequately powered. Would I rather have the neck-snapping acceleration of a 2.7T or 4.2? Sure; after all, I'm a "car guy". But I LOVE my 2.8 and I've never been disappointed in its power train. NEVER in 7 1/2 months and 10,000 (as of last night!) miles.

Obviously, there's no substitute for a test drive. It sounds to me like you're wondering, "If I get an A6, would I need to go with a 2.7T in order to be satisfied with the engine performance?" If that's the case, drive a 2.8 (in your choice of quattro or FrontTrak; this is important as their driving characteristics differ) and then decide whether or not you like it. If you decide that you DO like it, and you'd prefer to not spend the extra for the 2.7T, you should probably stop right there! Even if you like the 2.8, a drive in a 2.7T will likely cause you to become dissatisfied with the 2.8!

Besides the obvious horsepower difference, here are a few other things to consider:

1. Once you factor in the difference in M.S.R.P. and the fact that most dealers want more $$$ over invoice for a 2.7T than for a 2.8, the price difference becomes approximately $4000, identically-equipped.

2. Only the 2.7T offers the choice of a 6-speed manual.

3. Only the 2.8 offers the choice of FrontTrak (front wheel drive without quattro).

4. There is only one style of factory wheel (16" "wine glass") offered on the 2.8; there are 3 different wheels available on the 2.7T (one standard, the other two as components of different "Sport Packages").

5. Sport Packages are not offered on the 2.8; two different ones are offered on the 2.7T. Components include sport front seats, sport suspension, special wheels (including 17"), and performance tires.

6. On a 2.7T, if you want leather OR the moonroof, you must get both; you can get either separately on the 2.8.

7. The interior of a non-sport package 2.7T is identical to that of a 2.8 (unless, of course, the 2.7T is equipped with the 6-speed manual).

8. Likewise the exterior, except for wheels, tires, and trunk badging.

9. Finally, if you don't want the Premium Package (multi-function steering wheel, memory front seats & outside mirrors, auto-dimming mirrors, xenon headlights), CD changer, analog phone, or Guidance Package (navigation system and rear parking assist), but you do want leather, moonroof, and HomeLink, there's a way to save another $775 (at M.S.R.P.) on a 2.8. The "Celebration Luxury Package" ($1975) includes full leather interior, power moonroof, and HomeLink. If you buy these things separately, you pay $1550 for the stand-alone leather option and $1200 for the "Sunroof Package" (power moonroof and HomeLink). The Celebration Luxury Package is ONLY available on the 2.8. The only problem with it is that if you order it, you CANNOT order the Premium Package, CD changer (no problem though, as it can always be added later), analog phone (over-priced at $495 and analog only - not a popular option), or Guidance Package (if you want a factory navigation system, this is it). Personally, I reluctantly went the more expensive route solely because I wanted the xenon headlights. Now that I've had the car for awhile, I'll never own another car without them, period. I feel the same way about the auto-dimming mirrors. It's great not having to deal with glare from the outside mirrors, and the auto-dimming feature is the only way I've ever known that such glare can be eliminated. They're fabulous.

Hope this helps, Walter. Good luck with your decision.

- Mike
  • Wow -- Mike you should sell Audi's (if you don't already). Agree on the Xenon comment -- want again to add my encouragement to ONLY acquire an Audi (any new Audi) with ESP -- inexpensive, could save your life -- and will increase the car's value at trade in time. Remarkable technology.

I realize you probably are biased in favor of the 2.7T, but your "facts, features and functions" discussion is, nevertheless, a very persuasive comment on the 2.7T -- it is indeed the best value and a great deal more fun than the 2.8.

While I do really love my 4.2, I do believe it is not as high a value purchase as the 2.7T.

I would refer anyone to your comments who was considering A6 2.8 v 2.7T quattro's.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Posts: 635
    Thanks for the compliment, Mark. While I'd love to do just about anything having to do with cars for a living, I don't; I'm actually in the restaurant business.

Your point on ESP is well-taken. I unfortunately don't have it and have never driven an A6 with it, so I'm oblivious to its benefits. I must try a car with it, though I'm sure that doing so will make me wish that I had it!

In terms of favoring one version of the A6 over another, my personal feelings are mixed. There's no doubt that as engine performance (horsepower and torque) increases, so does the fun-to-drive factor. Whether or not it justifies the added cost is completely up to the individual buyer. I guess my feeling is that if one values and is willing/able to pay the price for the advantages offered by the 4.2, they should buy it. Likewise for the 2.7T. On the other hand, if the advantages of those models over the 2.8 don't matter, or if the cost difference is unmanageable, it's my belief that the 2.8 is a FABULOUS alternative to not only a 4.2 or 2.7T, but to just about everything else out there. I looked, believe me! Nothing else came close.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    my memory as to what ESP stands for, and what it does?
    I'll give you two versions as to what it does.

Performance nut version:
    ESP takes all the fun out of driving. It prevents you from maximizing the performance of your vehicle by keeping you well within the traction limits of your tires. Half the fun of driving is pushing your car to the edge with no safety net, and ESP takes all that away. Its only saving grace is that it can be turned off in most cars equipped with it.

Normal driver version:
    ESP is a wonderful invention that keeps you in control of your vehicle at all time in all conditions. In ice, snow, or rain, it prevents fishtailing and spinouts. It allows you to drive normally in very low-traction situations, and not worry that you'll wind up in a ditch. There's simply no reason not to have it.

Technically speaking, ESP is simply an on-board computer that selectively brakes wheels when loss of traction is detected. My take is that since it can be turned off, there's no reason to avoid it. You just hit a button to disable it for spirited driving, but it's there if you just want an uneventful drive home when it's icy. Remember, though, that it's not a cure-all -- if you have zero traction at all wheels, nothing can help you.
  • bthirkbthirk Posts: 8
    I am undecided as to which version of the Sport Package to get. Are the 17" wheels much better than the 16"?? Better enough the justify the higher price??

Any comments that can help me know the differences would be welcome!

Thanks!!
  • vkjvkj Posts: 67
    I bought a used 2000 A6 2.7T that came with the $750 Sport Package. That's the package with the sport seats and 16" sport alloy wheels. The later 2000 models came with a $1000 Sport Package option that had everything the $750 option had PLUS "sport suspension". The car is fantastic but I really would like a stiffer, sport feel. Everyone I've talked to from TireRack to my dealer confirms that the differance is in the springs. I'm considering buying a set of Eibach springs that will lower the car 1-1.4" and give the car a stiffer feel. Can anyone confirm/deny this (i.e. that Eibach springs alone would in fact upgrade the car to a "sport suspension")? Anyone else with a similar stock setup do this already? My next concern is that if I get new springs, I should get new shocks but Bilstein doesn't yet make sport shocks for the 2000+ Audi's so I'm not sure how I'd complish that.

What very innocently started with looking for a new set of all performance tires led to looking at a 17" wheel upgrade (from the 16" stock) which then led to new springs (Eibach sport set) and now to putting on new shocks! Where does it end?

With no end in sight and mounting costs, I think I'm now leaning to the 17" wheel upgrade with new tires only. That way, I can evaluate the ride and determine where I want to go from there and keep the current wallet hit down. If I'm still not satisfied, I'll again look in the spring/shock option.

Thanks,
    Rick
  • gtr49gtr49 Posts: 7
    I'm considering A6 2.7T s. 4.2, possibly used 2000 model. Tend to keep my cars a long time - currently driving 92 Lexus AS 300. Would appreciate any thoughts regarding long-term reliability and maintenance costs over the useful life of the turbot s. V8. Initial difference in cost is substantial but would be significantly less if I bought used. Much difference in residual value in 6-8 years? Thanks for any thoughts and input.
  • markvbmarkvb Posts: 1
    I wonder if anyone can steer me towards aftermarket upgrades for my A6? I bought one when
    they first became available in Winter 98. I have been happy with the performance, and deliberately chose the 2WD due to the concern with the Quattro being "underpowered". If the
    2.7T had been available at the time there would have been no stopping me. Now, to the point-
    any info out there on performance chips for the 2.8 engine, and where to look for Xenon head-
    light conversion (dealer quoting about $1500;there must be a cheaper way). Markvb
    Mark,

I have three places that I'd recommend looking at for chipping. Not sure really where you'd go for the Xenon headlights.

1.) Go to http://www.audiworld.com/ then go to the forums and look in the performance forum. Scroll through the list and you will see many references to chipping. Somewhere in one of these forums, you might also find info on the headlights. Possibly in the A6 forum.

2.) Try this link on chipping FAQ and vendors:
    http://audihq.boom.net/index.php3?c=faq/Chipping_Basics/index&p=info

3.) Another chipping site:
    http://www.chip-tuning.com/usa/main/mainmenu.html

Just out of curiosity, who told you that the Quattro under powers the 2.8?! The HP (200 @ 6000 RPM) and torque (207lb/ft @3200) are the same for both. Now what is true is that the front trak has a 0-60 in 8.8 while the Quattro is 9.3 but that alone doesn't tell the tale of the Quattro being "underpowered". While I realize you probably did your homework before buying, I just a little surprised. The Quattro system is one of the best things about the Audi!

Good luck in your after market quest.

Rick
    00 2.7T
    Ebony Pearl/Onyx
    Sport/Cold/Convenience
  • Granted, the Quattro system is the greatest, but it DOES add a lot of weight to the already solid A6. I believe that this what markvb is referring to. I live in L.A. and the many advantages of the Quattro system would be wasted here. I would go for the Frontrak (sp) and save the weight, like mpuzach. I had 4 FWD Audis in the past, and all were just fine and a joy to drive.
    If you really want to boost your performace, PES (www.pes-tuning.com) makes a supercharger for the 30V 2.8 V6. Supposedly this will take you up to 295hp, which should make the car damn fast.