Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    I've done the manual comparison with the trip computer and it was spot on...
  • mrejmrej Posts: 2
    We are down to one key for our A6.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get new keys from a third party, or is the dealer our only choice? $300 is pricey!

Thanks!
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    I checked the Audi factory website and it says the A6 3.2 carries 21.1 gallons of fuel. Assuming you filled the tank to the top, 505 divided by 21.1 (if driven to empty)= 23.93 mpg.

It appears that you are getting what the Audi website published at 26 highway and 19 city which seems fantastic at freeway speeds w/ air conditioning on!

Also, the website says 8.6 quarts of oil. Wow, don't know if that includes the filter capacity, but the Audi no extra charge service saves atleast a $65.00 bill for oil changes that isn't included with the Infiniti.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I got our phone working via the Bluetooth w/o the cradle. But if the cradle uses the power and antenna connection for the phone, I see that as a huge plus. I was able to place a call using MMI, so it isn't too bad, but the voice activation would be nice. :)

-Paul
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,068
    Part of the Premium Package is the upgraded (and I would add seriously upgraded) Bose Surround Sound System. Bose, of course, is passe now and shortly Audi will be converting to B&O for a sound system and company name more appropriate to the Premium Luxury Saloon class that Audi has finally gained entry into.

Yet, for all of the mediocre Bose HOME audio that has come out over the years, one of the sometimes bright spark(s) from Bose has/have been their accomplishments in Automotive Audio. The new A6 is one of their (Audi+Bose) finest moments. Another fine, finer even, moment is the system in the new Infiniti M cars equipped with the Technology package.

The Bose system in the new A6 is, from a guy who has had many Audis, the best Audi Audio system ever.

Yet, there are some unknowns. And, when even a "geek" (actually I prefer the name Tech Weenie) like me -- who, after all, does actually read the manuals -- can't find any explanation, well I turn to the Internet for help.

The Audi Bose system (in the A6's equipped with the Premium Package only) offers several "sound modes." With CD's and satellite radio, you have the option to turn on "surround front," or "surround rear." Then you have the capability of adjusting the "level" of the surround effect.

Unlike the DSP systems (in home theater systems and in some auto systems) of the recent past, the surround modes apparently do not just add delay and echo (usually at the expense of clarity and imaging.) My wife and I in "double blind" tests have settled on "Surround Rear" for Sirius and CD's (you are stuck with "normal" so to speak for the radio -- even FM stereo.)

OK, we have concluded, thus far that we seem to like the effect of surround rear and for the moment we have cranked the "surround effect" to about the mid point between "full on" and "neutral."

Does anyone here have a URL that you can point me to to understand what the intended effect of surround "front or rear" is supposed to be? And, what does "surround effect level" actually do? Or/and what is the theory that makes this work.

In the not too distant past, it was possible using a stereo (2 channel, normal, not processed, not Dolby this or that, just stereo) system to derive "additional" information beyond the left and right channels via a hook up that fed the "difference" information into one (usually two) speakers.

Over time, an encoding scheme called matrixing allowed the creation of 4 channels from 2 (LF C RF and "rear" or "surround".)

Is this "decoding" of the stereo signal from my new Van Morrison or Coldplay or Brian Wilson CD what is going on? In the Infinti system it was possible to insert a DVD-Audio disc and you would be rewarded with true, discreet multi-channel (more than the two nominally encoded on a traditional CD, that is) sound.

What does the Bose system do? Is it performing the equivalent of taking a music only CD and playing in on a home theater system set to "Dolby Pro-logic or Pro-logic II?" In other words is the system decoding a stereo CD and deriving additional channels that may or may not have been the intent of the producer?

I am not suggesting this is "fake" or that it sounds funny in some way -- as noted, we do prefer the surround rear configuration with the surround effect set to about 75% full on.

If someone knows how or what etc -- I would greatly appreciate the edumacation or at least the pointing to another source so that I may squeeze every last bit of good sound from this, thus far, excellent system.

:confuse:
  • bondguy1bondguy1 Posts: 228
    Does anybody know if the LG phone currently offered from Sprint PCS will work with the Bluetooth system in the new Audi?
    I hate the phone because it is cheap looking and I never really liked slider phones but don't really want to wait for a new phone from Sprint...who knows how long that will take.
    My only other option is to switch companies except everyone I know is on Sprint so it's like calling for free without using my minutes. I know that Sprint also has the Treo phones that are bluetooth but they are too big to carry around.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    So Audi is going to Bang and Olufsen for their audio? Dang, didn't know that.

I agree the Bose system sounds great in the car. I prefer the sound rear set about how you have yours as well. I have not a clue as to why it sounds better. It just does. :)

-Paul
    Yes, AOA announced that they will go with B&O for the next premium stereo system in the A8. I haven't heard anything about the A6, but one would expect with the next model change for the A6, it would be B&O as well...at least one hopes! :)
    Well, driving home last night in the new A6...averaged 27 MPG until I got off the highway and because of the lights, I averaged 26.7 by the time I got home. Not bad for a 255 HP engine and a car this size. This was cruising at 75 MPH w/ cruise control on. I am shocked at how good the gas mileage is.
    The 3.2 in the A6 is no hot rod, but it is adequate and better at many things than most cars on the road.

Today, gas here in River City was $2.62 (Prem) -- my A6, too, sips gas, so far.

This IS a trade off (power for milage) that really isn't too much of a give up in power for a significant gain in mileage. My 2003 allroad 2.7T was very thirsty and with its 250 HP and 258 lb ft of torque wasn't night and day more powerful feeling than the new A6 (but the 6spd manual coupled with the fact that the torque came on south of 2000 RPM's was plenty peppy.)

I now fill up weekly rather than twice weekly. And, yes, I know the new A6 holds 3 gallons more than the allroad -- but that alone does not account for the improvement.

I love power and I think, actually, that if this car could be offered with a 6spd manual or the DSG, that there would be an improvement in quickness that would be more than subtle.

I understand, too, that this engine with clean gas can be so configured for even more power, more mileage AND (gasp) on REGULAR. Say it ain't so.

:shades:
  • I have a quetion about how the Average MPG in calculated on the new A6. Does it start all over again everytime the car is restarted or does it keep a running total until it is reset? The reason I ask is on a very recent trip around town I was impressing my wife with how good the milage was, about 26.6 MPG according to the computer. When returning home later that night I was checking it again and it was hovering around 18.5 MPG. Seems like a large swing while on the same tank of gas of a return trip.
  • ctorreyctorrey Posts: 64
    If it's like my 05 A4, there are two sets of computer readings. One is resettable by holding the button on the stalk, the other is reset automatically when the car is restarted (I think). You can scroll through them by hitting the aforementioned button (one of the settings is display OFF). There should be a little number (1 or 2) in the upper righthand corner of the display.
    That is correct. There are 2 trip computers. One starts with each new "trip" in the car (unless restarted w/in 2 hours of the last, in which case, it continues). The 2nd trip computer will follow the stats (mph, mpg, time, etc...) until you clear it.

Just scroll thru the menus. Trip 1 is the short one, trip 2 is the "permanent" one that must be cleared manually.
    I think like someone else said, if it's within 2 hours of when you shut car off,it will continue w/ MPG. When you start up in the morning, it should read about 14 or 15 right away. The MPG reading will increase quicker as it is an average between 15 to about 23 MPG. If you use cruise control, you'll notice it will increase about .2 to .3 every couple of miles or so. If you sit at a light for a couple of minutes, it will start going down because it is an average. The rated MPG is 19/26 which normally I would think would mean a real world mileage of 21. Also, Mark, my relative is looking at a new M35 and I'm trying to convince him to go Audi. If you get the Infiniti, the Satellite radio is only about $300. But in order to get it, you have to order a very expensive package. And, are daytime running lights available on M35 at extra cost or not available at all?
    I DID end up with a new A6 3.2.

However, I would have no problem in finding out one of my relatives or friends bought instead the M35X. You get and you give with each car. The POWER of the Infiniti may be attractive, the high zoot sound system in the Infiniti too is persuasive over the Audi. The Audi has the fit and finish and interior quality that remains, for the momenet, the one to beat. The Audi has the 6 speed transmission -- but both cars cannot be had with a manual. There are numerous other facts and feelings that these car can impart that may compell you to one or the other.

Had Audi's price, initially, not been so outrageous (for a lease) I never would have educated myself on the M35X. The M35X is "nearly" German in feel and many will swear it has reliability that will over time prove its superiority to the Audi.

I wish I weren't so much in favor of the Infiniti -- but it is, no doubt, a fine car and at the moment the ONLY Japanese car I would even seriously consider.

All that being said, I do love my new A6. Yet, full disclosure, I would probably be about at the same point with the Infiniti M35X (3 weeks into it, that is).

The Audi --the GERMAN Audi -- may, for some, carry some image weight. I wouldn't put much stock in that, however. I guess if I were really impressed by image, I would go with BMW.
  • bargamon1bargamon1 Posts: 110
    Spent the last two weeks in Italy. Fun place to car watch!

Observations:

Given its history, high fuel prices, and small roads, small cars still rule. But are far more styled.

I am a staunch anti SUV person, and am further revolted when seeing how we waste our energy.

Im not ready to trade in my allroad for a Vespa, but would if I lived in a total urban environment!

Alpha Romeo are still very cool!

Audi A4 wagons are the "IT" car. Like its been stated before, the majority were Avents! Most A6's were Avents, except for the new model.

Most E-class (new) are sedans, but audi's were Avents.

Most were TDI with displacements I think were 2.5 litres.

Its gross we need to drive bigger cars to defend ourselves against the decaying fleet of ford excersions and other garbage suvs giants!

Its also gross we need to fuel our phalic needs to have horsepower "arms" race when these great 3.2 engines are so effiecient!

The new A6 and A4 Avents are so sporty and pratical in my opinion!

While the A6 would be my first choice, an A4 avent 3.2 manual 6speed if they ever give us this choice would be a blast to drive, and certainly is sized right! This might be the natural replacement for my allroad.

But that luxury of the A6 calls to me also!

Audi was the "it" car in the land that gives us the best food, pretty country, and damm pretty women!

A few days spent on the Island of Capri changed my dreams. THAT is the place I want to be, and really no room for anything bigger than the smallest of cars.

A turbo mini, and a villa in Capri!
  • legendmanlegendman Posts: 362
    My decision NOT to go with the new A6 does not somehow suggest any critique of someone who did go with the new Audi.

Mark:

I understand the points you make above, but maybe I am coming in late on this conversation, but what, specifically, is informing your choice to pass on Audi? What about the marketing is affecting your purchase decision?

What do you think of the A6 as a car? I am thinking seriously about buying one. Trying to discern if there are any discernable differences or improvements from the 2005 to the 2006, like an improved MMI or smoother engine response. Reliability factor improved?

Separately, I agree with some owners that the A6 3.2 seems a tad underpowered when in Standard driving mode, but when switched into Sport mode, it seemed pretty responsive to this lead foot.
  • wattson1wattson1 Posts: 15
    i just tried using the new sony ericsson with audi a6. it had some many issues from not connecting w bluetooth, unable to place calls and no audio after the call got connected. i am returning the phone and i am thinking of getting siemens. i wish i can get a T637
  • sacguysacguy Posts: 27
    Legendman,
    MarkCincinnati actually decided to go with the Audi A6 3.2 after all and canceled his Infiniti M35x purchase.
    The Audi A6 was my first choice. I labored long to place the Infiniti M35X on order.

I believe to this day that decisions were made to bring the Audi A6 to market and price it "as if" it had been a member in good standing of the Premium Luxury Performance Sedan club (Note: the fact that I, Roseanne Roseanna Danna, believed that the Audi line HAD been in the club for years didn't make it so.)

The way Audi brought the car to market "as if" was to put the car on the market with lease programs that were, IMHO, outrageous. Often the lease program would allow a buyer to bring up two web browsers at once (one signed onto Audi, one to BMW, for example) and "configure and price" two similar cars (in this case a BMW 530 and an Audi A6 3.2.) For years and years Audis always offered somewhat lower MSRP's, higher content and the secret sauce "quattro." Moreover, it was often possible to configure the BMW du jour as a maxed out 530 and for the same money you could get an Audi A6 4.2. So, until the new 2005 A6's, one could configure a 6 cylinder BMW and an 8 cylinder AWD Audi for even money.

From my vantage point, the Audi was a Premium Luxury Performance Sedan (w a V8 and AWD and 100% free maintenance) that was very very high value.

With one fell swoop, the 2005 Audi A6 leapt in price and leapt in lease cost so much that an apples to apples comparison almost always favored the BMW by close to $200 per month.

When nearly half of your cars are on the street under a lease contract, this "ought to have been" a clue. Moreover, when the list of 7 or 8 "usual suspects" in the LPS category were all outselling you and/or you were vying for next to last place, month after month (despite accolades after accolades about your product) -- well it just seemed to me that the Audi had squandered its several long standing advantages.

I tested and liked the M35X and it too was nearly $200 per month less to lease than my beloved Audi.

In no way did I find the Audi to be unworthy in terms of content or features. Sure I thought it was a tad bit underpowered and the Infiniti and Lexus and Acura offerings did seem to offer a few more bells and whistles (and I love bells and whistles), but Audis over the past nearly 30 years have been very good to my wife, my company and me. We had "leased and/or purchased" some 27 of them since 1977, in fact.

That WAS the story until June 23rd.

I got a call from my local Cincinnati Audi Dealership: the Audi Connection and from Audi of America. They said they would make me an "attractive" offer for a new 2005 Audi A6 3.2 configured exactly as I wanted it and even in the color combination I wanted (even if it had to be ordered).

I asked for virtually every possible option and I wanted Green Pearl exterior and Amaretto Premium (standard, not sport) Leather seats.

A few days later, the call came from Audi that they had located a car. Another few days later, I got the call that the car was ready to pick up -- no sec dep, no cash out of pocket, just my first month's lease payment and a plate transfer fee from my 2003 Audi allroad to my 2005 Audi A6 3.2.

Infiniti was gracious, apologized and thanked me for the opportunity to market their M35X to me. They instantly refunded my deposit which I had placed on my "custom ordered" M35X.

I am now at 3 plus weeks into the car. I have 1,800 miles on it (I drove it to Pittsburgh and back and made a trip to Columbus and back, so I have put some heavy miles on it early on.)

I love the car. It gets great milage -- it isn't as powerful as I would like, but what I would have had with the M35X is probably something on the order of a half a second quicker acceleration to 100kph.

I have listed several times the gives and gets of this transaction and the two cars.

Suffice it to say I got something and I know I gave up something. The Infiniti M35X is in some respects a watershed vehicle. Audi (and the other guys, too) have a bullseyes painted on them and the best gun aiming at them right now, IMHO, is the Infiniti M family. The bar has been raised.

The "feature" I miss the most is the ability to play DVD-Audio discs. The M's top o the line sound system is just a tad better than the Audis system.

However, I just got the new Coldplay CD, the new Van Morrison CD and a remastered CD called Page & Plant, Unledded (Led Zep songs acoustic ally presented) -- the Audi sound system is the best car audio system I have ever had, even though I still know the M35X would have been just a teeny bit better.

Audi of America and my long term dealer came through. The new A6 is a great car -- but the bar keeps getting pushed higher and higher. The 2007's had better be just THAT much better all over again.

Nothing, that I can recall, ever said by me indicated any issues of significance with Audis products, especially the new A6 (significant enough to make me not want the car based on its content that is). I was just unwilling to pay almost $200 a month more for the Audi vs the other guys in the "club."

My A6 actually came in $8 per month less than the M35X would have been.

This time "it was about the money" -- the marketing/value proposition was out of whack (for me). I was mad as hell and I wasn't gonna take it!

And they lived happily ever after.

The End.

:shades: