Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    Atlas gray in the A6 and Quartz Gray in the A4/A8 are very cool colors and a welcome alternative if your sick of looking at silver cars. It adds a nice dynamic to the car and looks especially nice w/ the ebony interior.

The Oyster gray has a blueish/purple hue to it in bright sunlight. I like it best w/ the platinum interior.

Oyster gray w/ amaretto leather looks nice as well.
  • I have the Cambridge Green Pearl with Amaretto leather -- if you are looking to NOT see yourself, well. . .thus far I have not seen either too many Greens or too many Amarettos.

If you have concerns about the Green, Audi has done a great job with the pearl effect (and assuming you like darker colors, this is about as dark as green can be.)

I have seen the dark blue pearl with Amaretto and it, too, is a rare beauty (IMHO.)
  • legendmanlegendman Posts: 362
    Well, I will have to vote for my color combo, namely Oyster Grey Pearl with the Beige Interior. A stunning, elegant combination. Never fails to get ooohs and aaahs. "Sublime" was the one of the latest superlatives to fall from the lips of my passengers.

The final arbiter though was none other than my mother -- an artist, art teacher, author and designer. She has always shown no interest in cars whatsoever, but last week, when she got in my car for the first time, her jaw dropped in amazement and admiration. She was blown away by the interior of this A6. She actually reached out, in awe, and touched the blonde wood on the dash. Coming from a person who has always yawned at cars, this was ineed high praise, and one for the family history books.

Let's face it guys/gals, the A6 interior KILLS. And the blonde wood console and door/dash inserts really seal the deal, IMHO.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    This from Edmunds AWD comparison. :)

I believe the later models have a darker dash and upper door though.

-Paul
  • jeqqjeqq Posts: 216
    Mark, it does makes a big difference in handling. The car feels more balanced - much less understeer. Thanks for the tip.

Happy New Year to you and all.
  • I am hoping too that an upgrade to UHP tires will add some more sticky-ness too.

Glad it worked and you are welcome.

:shades:
  • jeqqjeqq Posts: 216
    I'm happy with my "no" seasons:) They've been good to me so far. Where I live we've got lots of ice and twisting hills.
  • I mean UHP all/seasons like the PZero Nero M+S for instance.

I am OK with the HP all seasons on my A6, certainly not unhappy enough to change them out at 12K miles, they are wearing fine and they are OK otherwise.

UHP all seasons in defense of the factory choice probably give more than a nod to long term life which, as we all know, Americans prefer over almost any other characteristic.

Wear may not be the number 1 trait I look for, but it is in the top 3.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    ... Wear may not be the number 1 trait I look for, but it is in the top 3.

Same here. In fact "wear" is my number 3 criterium. First is performance, second is quiet, and third is wear. I don't mind paying for a better performing and/or more quiet tire with (relatively) average or below average tread life.
    Thanks Paul for the helpful photo. Yup, that's my interior. It's very warm, light and inviting, IMO. The dash and top door panels are Taupe. You really can't tell well in this photo, but if you look closely, you can just barely see the color contrast.

I think that this interior looks best in indirect sunlight. Bright sunlight gives it a yellow cast. It's particularly nice at sunset, with the glowing red interior lights making the console look a bit like an airplane cockpit.

Another reason I preferred the beige to the platinum interior is the grey instrument cluster surround. In the beige interior above, you get a nice color contrast between the surround and the dash, whereas the grey on platinum seems to read as a big solid mass of grey. Of course, the dark wood is quite handsome on the platinum.

Either way, a very unique, eye catching interior.
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    She could have also been proud of her offspring for having such good taste. Tony
    She could have also been proud of her offspring for having such good taste. -Tony

Thanks Tony, I agree -- on both counts!
  • is a 2000 Audi A6 with 151500 miles on it a good first car?

Is it an expensive car to repair?

is there alot of life left in it after 100k miles?

thank you,

Jeremy
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,663
    is a 2000 Audi A6 with 151500 miles on it a good first car?
    did you add an extra 0 by accident 151,500 seems high
    Is it an expensive car to repair?
    yes, even if you do it yourself
    is there alot of life left in it after 100k miles?
    probably, but is there much after 151,500...who knows

You didn’t mention the selling price. If you’re getting it for a tremendous bargain and are prepared (i.e. have the money sitting there ready) to spend on repairs then it may be a good buy.

Is this vehicle is the 2.7T?
    No car with 151,000 miles on it is a good first car, IMO. And certainly not an Audi, BMW or Mercedes. Good grief!

You would be far better off looking for a gently used Toyota or Honda -- one owner -- with 40,000 to 60,000 miles on it.

Any car that approaches or is at 100,000+ miles is likely to be incurring myriad numbers of expensive repair items, be they timing belts, water pumps, shock absorbers or struts, and maybe a radiator; not to mention "major service" work and more. Of course, new tires, brakes, battery, spark plugs and alignment would all be reasonable to expect as well. Then there is the electrical system and dash lights/buttons to consider as well as the air conditioning compressor and related parts. And, leys not forget emissions controls, catalytic coverters, and mufflers, et al.

Add this all up and you're talking big bucks. And this assumes that the tranny and engine were well maintained and are trouble free. Is this a 'snow belt' car? Rust?

If one is contemplating buying a German car, think 2-4 years old, with a extended warranty. Older than that and you are asking for trouble. These cars are somewhat exotic, and parts and maintenance are expensive. Audi parts in particular, often take days to weeks to order and receive.

At 151,000 miles, you will likely spend more time rebuilding the car than driving it. That's pretty late in the car's life cycle -- to be buying someone else's very used car. :sick:

Again, if you want a 2000 model year car, go Japanese. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but that's my advice, and, for what it's worth, I've owned foreign cars for over 35 years.
  • I drive the same car (2000 A6)with almost 90,000 miles, and yes, they are expensive to repair, but then, aren't they all?

If the maintenance has been kept up, you should be able to get to 175,000 without a lot of extra work. For example, on my Audi, at the 100,000 mark, I'll need the waterpump/timing belt, tires, and atleast front brake pads.Should be able to get to 125,000 before more service needed.
  • If the maintenance hasn't been kept up, I would agree with post #6068 all the way.
    I drive the same car (2000 A6)with almost 90,000 miles, and yes, they are expensive to repair, but then, aren't they all?

A few points in reply for your consideration:

It's a different story if you are the original owner, have done all the maintenance on a timely basis, and therefore know the history of the car. Buying a second hand car, and one with 151,000 miles on it -- 60,000 more miles than yours -- is another matter entirely, IMO.

Yes, maintenance is expensive, but having owned both German and Japanese cars, as a general statement, maintenance on Honda or Toyota Corporation cars (including Acura and Lexus) is considerably less expensive. Also, these two brands tend to produce the most reliable, least repair prone cars to begin with, and annual Consumer Reports surveys consistently bear that out. (Parenthetically, I will say that the VW Passat is doing much better now in Consumer Reports, as to need for repairs. Still, I wouldn't buy one, or any car for that matter, at 151,000 miles)

One final point. Japanese parts are readily available throughout the United States. Here in California, I have never waited more than half a day for a part. You can't say that about Audi, not without crossing your fingers behind your back.
  • I have new 2006 A6 3.2. The low windshield washer fluid indicator light did not work when I ran out of fluid. When I took it to the dealer the service manager has tried to convince me that I don't have this feature, despite the fact that its noted on page 31 of the manual. Has anyone had any experience of this kind or heard of this issue?
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,663
    I agree with everything you’ve said. My disclaimer was a “tremendous deal”. If you really have your heart set on an A6 and the only way you could get one was a high miles…then you’d have to be prepared with money for repairs. So…rebutting myself again…if a requirement of owning an Audi at 150K+ miles is having resources available for repairs you may as well buy a certified 2-3 year old vehicle as you suggest.

When I had my 99 I remember hearing $10K for a tranny. Not sure if replacements are cheaper now (especially rebuilt ones), but hearing that scared me.

Personally, for a first car I’d rather lease an A4 or A3 (DSG!) to see if I like the Audi experience and service.