Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• We took delivery of our new A6 2.8Q a couple of weeks ago and are noticing a decrease in responsiveness in the powertrain. It seems to be most noticeable when shifting out of reverse and into drive, as there's a definite lag, but the shifts between all the gears are somewhat sloppy. I checked the postings over at Audiworld and noticed so folks had changed out the control module chips for third party products in the pursuit of better performance. I'm suspecting this is my problem but does anybody know if the Audi dealers are doing a chip changeout or a computer reflash to correct this problem?
  • I know its early, but anyone have info on the 2002 A6?
  • Goodday. Now that I have finally settled for a A6 4.2, the only question remains is do I need to replace the P6000 tires with snow ones?? The tires' size is 255/40-17. I plan to go to a few ski trips in New England. I am considering Bridgestone Blizzak, but they only comes in 235/40-17.I am not sure whether I should spend another 800 bucks for snow tires on a new all wheel drive car.

Mike, thank you for your pictures and all your valuable suggestions throughout the post. I have decided to go for Melange/Melange, hoping it will be a bit more "heat resistance" during the summer. The Vanilla/Royal Blue is not as striking as I thought it would be. It seems to be a better fit fot A4. Burgundry/Black Interior would be my next choice.
  • Steve you asked: "markcincinnati, why shouldn't I take the engine power off? I don't do it anyway (in my auto), but how would it hurt? In a stick I
    almost always brake with the clutch in." I must be very careful in my explanation and response to you (and others) regarding this issue. First, I
    agree with you -- but I must add a bit of qualification to that agreement. Our Audi driving instructors called the technique the "Bruce Lee." They said
    you should hit the brake pedal with maximum force and a moment later (ranging from a split second to a second or more) depress the clutch
    pedal. The wheel speeds could get too low if you "linger longer" with the clutch engaged and this may stall the engine. The reason for the
    one-two kick on the pedals is to achieve a little extra help in braking from the engine. In practice, we all probably do this motion "instinctively" --
    in that we press the brake pedal first and the clutch second, even if it is only a momentary time lapse between the two actions. I probably
    inadvertently (and perhaps incorrectly) wrote my "suggested method" -- slamming on both the brake and clutch "simultaneously" thereby
    reducing the chances of stalling the engine IS NOT wrong -- we are (I am) splitting hairs to make the point. Anyway, I do agree with all the posts
    that suggest "trying this [behavior/technique]" in an empty parking lot. Thanks for pointing this out.
  • rjsenrjsen Posts: 30
    2002 A6: Should be the same as 2001, with possible minor changes.

Snow tires: The P6000s are warm-weather performance tires. They really don't perform their best in cold weather, let alone snow. Definitely get snow tires if you'll drive in snow at all. As for the quattro thing, four times zero is still zero. Oh, and shen you're getting snow tires, you should probably get a narrower, higher-profile tire mounted on a plain steel rim. There's no point in messing up your nice new alloy wheels with salt and chemicals, and narrow tires will give more traction on ice or snow.
  • Picking up a ming blue A6 2.7 T with Tiptronic (wife did not want a stick, and I might use it to commute on those stop-and-go Bay Area freeways) tomorrow. Cold Weather package. Premium package. Preferred luxury package. Bose sound system. $1,800 over invoice. Probably could have pushed it down a little further, but why bother?
  • Verlaqueusa -

Sounds like you made a pretty good deal. I am also looking to close a deal real soon in the Bay Area. Could you provide some feedback on dealers? Which one did you buy from? and did you talk with others? I stopped by Carlson and talked briefly with a salesman -- his opening salvo was "we'll talk, but we don't discount these very much"

Thanks

Rp
  • Yes, I did pretty much all over the phone. Called 6 dealers in SF, the Peninsula (Burlingame and PA), the East Bay (Walnut Creek and Concord) and Marin County and asked about cars on the lot. The guy in Concord (Internet sales manager) started discounting $2,000 off MSRP before I even said anything and we ended up that first conversation at $2,500 off MSRP. In my second conversation I got him down to $3,000 off MSRP (roughly $2,000 over invoice, although he had a $180 charge for a CD in his invoice I could not quite explain). The dealer in Marin started talking tough, then, seeing that I would do it elsewhere, offered me $2,000 over invoice, then $1,800 over invoice, so I dealt with him (as mentioned earlier, I could probably have played the game further and get down to $1,500 over, but...).
  • 2002 models should have the new 3.0 engine, coupled with twin turbot should produce around 300hp stock, who needs an S6 (I do, but no word if they will bring it to the us), also the new sport pkg. I/17inch rims should improve the handling, especially utilizing a stick. I currently have an 98 a4 2.8q w5sp/sport, which I love, except for the size. I,I tempted to upgrade to an a6 one of these days, but part of me says keep it for a winter car and get a bow 330Cic, which is a tremendous car. keep the good info coming... thanks
  • mpuzachmpuzach Posts: 635
    What is the source of your information regarding engines for 2002?
  • The 3.0 engine is a sure bet, but the twin turbos only go on the 2.7T still.
  • I've had my A6 4.2 since October of 1999, so I've gone through one winter with it. Although it would benefit from snow tires, they're not absolutely essential. We live in northwest Wisconsin, so we get a fair amount of snow. I've driven on the highway through some unplowed roads during snowstorms and have been very impressed with the car's performance.

Snow tires would help with lateral sliding when cornering, and probably with stopping faster. I'd recommend trying the car and seeing what you think.

docimmer
  • jdg99jdg99 Posts: 6
    I will soon be buying a 1998 A6 Quattro from a relative. I can either buy privately or through a dealer (Relative is getting a new A6 2.7T.)

Question: Should I purchase through the dealer in order to get the Audi Assured Warranty? The dealer will not mark-up the trade-in price, but will charge $1,000 for the warranty.

The car has 34,000 miles on it and went into service in September 1998. Therefore I would have 6-9 months of factory coverage (if that warranty can be transferred.)
  • Took delivery of my A6 2.7T before the week-end. Loves it! A couple of questions, though. Xenon headlight range seems kind of short. And trunk gate requires to be lifted pretty much all the way and squeals while doing so. Any thought?
  • dwpcdwpc Posts: 159
    Compare the xenon pattern to regular lights...they are very bright right to the edge of the pattern and can be deceiving. If the pattern still looks short the dealer should adjust it. Your trunk lid should raise very easily and silently; something is not right.
  • Thank you Risen and Docimmer for your input on Winter tires.

I have just taken delivery of my 4.2 with sports and premium package. This car is really a luxury automobile, not a sports sedan as its exterior suggest. Maybe it is because I am now driving the A6 in a very timid way. Should I wait till say 3000 miles before I drive it aggressively? I cruise mildly on highway; however, I love to shoot the gear down to second entering a curve and come out flying as high as the car allows me.
    I still have not learned all the bells & whistles yet, like the home link. My family knows where to find me during the long weekend.

BTW, the fuel gauge works well, there is no distortion on the windshield, no swirl mark etc etc...
    I have kept my P6000 tires. I shall see how it fares during these last few days of year 2000.

Last but not least: I am now a proud owner of an A6.
  • For those of you who had no trouble zeroing in on the A6 but then wrestled with the decision of 4.2 or 2.7 or 2.7T, what were the factors that helped you make up your mind?
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    Get the warrenty. It will be the best $1000 you ever spent
  • dwpcdwpc Posts: 159
    The price difference...not much more than bragging rights for an additional $5 to $10K.
    2.7T has better performance and regardless of what the diehards claim, the two models are virtually identical in looks. 4.2 offers a few more std features....but for a lot more money. And the 2.7T get better mileage.
  • Joe:

Take a long test drive of three vehicles -- 2.7T with automatic, then the 6 speed manual 2.7T; then take a test drive of a 4.2 (only comes with 5spd automatic). Hopefully, each of the cars you test has the "sport package" -- and bettter yet hopefully the 2.7T's have the 17" wheel option as part of their sport packages. I have driven (and now own) A6's both with and without the sport package -- the difference is ride quality is fairly subtle, the difference in handling is not subtle.

The A6 4.2 is best described -- to compare and/or contrast it with the 2.7T -- as more refined, better balanced (with sport package) -- it has more "poise." The typical Audi solid-steel feel is even more so on the 4.2 (than the 2.7T). They do perform similarly, but make no mistake -- according to the fine print, the 2.7T is a hair quicker than the 4.2. The 4.2 makes much "sweeter sounds" when pressed, but this in no way is meant to demean the 2.7T.

The 4.2 appears (and is) more agressive -- flared fenders, slightly longer, body effects etc. Again some of these differences are subtle -- but they are far from hidden. Creature comforts, depending on your tastes -- more in the 4.2.

Another difference I noticed is a feeling that can be best described as muscular -- the 4.2 has more strength. This is manifested in several ways: over a bump, a railroad crossing, a washboard road, etc. The 2.7T is somehow less strong, less sturdy feeling when compared back to back with the 2.7T.

In their own way, each one is a bargain. Each one will make you smile. Each one provides many safety features and creature comforts. Apparently there is more "dealing" room on a 4.2 so the monthly lease payment difference between the two are not too great.

I would love to have my 4.2 with a 6 sp manual transmission -- this is my most significant "gripe" with the car. I have been told that there is a 6 speed tiptronic transmission that will "equal" the performance of the 6 spd manual -- but alas not here in the US and not in 2001 (so far).

It is not necessarily an easy choice -- again, try the back to back to back test drives if at all possible.