Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• sfcharliesfcharlie Posts: 402
    What kind of mpg are you getting with 3.2?
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,069
    Mid to upper mid twenties.
  • reality2reality2 Posts: 303
    About the same...mid twenties
  • habuhabu Posts: 52
    Same for mine with about 1,000 miles on the odo.
    Great improvement above 15K miles. Sometimes on the highway, even at good speed and with a total of three people and their luggage in the car the mileage will exceed 30MPG.

This is NOT the norm, but it is an indication of the potential improvements offered by FSI and it makes me wonder what could happen if we could go from Fuel Straight Injection to pure Fuel Stratified Injection (which is supposedly the goal, once our fuel here in the US is cleaner)?

This technology is part and parcel of "the little engine that could." Check it out in the 2.0T FSI and just imagine what could be done with the 3.2 with each advance of technology. I'd say high twenties without killing yourself is not beyond the pale.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Posts: 246
    What's the theory behind Fuel Stratefied Injection?
    The cheap and quick answer seems to be, FSI is direct injection -- expensive to be sure.

One that appears to have an ability, among other things, to allow the compression ratio of the engine to be very high indeed.

The benefits of extra high compression ratio are well known and if this is any indication -- foretells of even greater efficiencies.

Conversely, it is possible to have a relatively high compression ratio and use lower octane fuel.

On the other, other hand, even higher compression ratios without impossible to obtain octane ratings, are possible with FSI.

Direct injection in this application can be loosely thought of as the kind of thing that we know of as diesel.

I can look this up by dogpile-ing or google-ing.

Lots of info out there.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,577
    ...when the "07's are due in and what is/will be changed for '07?
    2007 A6 3.2 Sedan Equipment Upgrade Highlights

*Trip computer / Driver Information Center will be standard on all A6 models
    *A6 3.2 CVT will get a new 16” 6 spoke wheel
    *Digital speed indicator in driver information center on all A6 models
    *New cupholder (similar to A4) in all A6 models
    *New flexmetallic trim will surround the instrument cluster on all A6 models
    *New satellite radio antennae (smaller) on all A6 models
    *New overhead center console (from Q7) on all A6 models
    *CD changer will have MP3 playback capability
    *Power tilt and telescoping steering wheel was added to Convenience Package on 3.2 models
    *Rearview Camera will now be included in the Technology Package
    *Headlight washers were added to the Cold Weather Package
    *4 spoke multi-function steering wheel with shift paddles is now included with the S line Package
    *19” 20-spoke 2-piece BBS-style wheel is now available as an upgrade when S line Package is ordered
    *S line Package now available on A6 Avant
    *Leather dashboard from quattro GmbH now available as a stand-alone option
    *Quartz Gray Metallic exterior paint replaces Atlas Gray Metallic
    *Ibis White replaces Arctic White
    *Phantom Black Pearl Effect now available (Brilliant Black remains)
    *Cardemom Beige replaces Beige interior
    *Daytona Gray Pearl Effect is now available with S line

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
    2007 A6 4.2 Sedan Equipment Upgrade Highlights

*New 4.2 engine now with FSI direct injection technology and 350 hp
    *Same highlighted equipment changes as 3.2 Sedan / Avant
    *Technology Package, S line Package, Cold Weather Package are same as 3.2 Stand-alone options are same as 3.2 except for the solar sunroof that is only available on the 4.2 model. Also leather dashboard is stand alone on the 4.2 not sold order like the 3.2.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    Also, you can now get white w/ the amaretto interior for 2007. I think that's going to be a beautiful combination.
    I have the Green Pearl with Amaretto -- white was my first choice, but the Premium Amaretto Leather option was a non starter in June 2005.

There are several white cars with very nice wheels on them -- classic elegance, IMHO. Add Amaretto and "instant tang!"
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,577
    white w/ the amaretto interior

Excellent combo !

Thanks for the update information sfcharlie.

But....when is the '07 available?
  • roadtrip2roadtrip2 Posts: 3
    Highway mileage with '05 A6 3.2 has been in the 27-29 mpg range on long trips with short stopovers. Local mileage is under 20. I now have over 20,000 miles in the one year I've had the car. The car has been to Florida and California from Illinois home with no issues beyond its initial start switch problem which finally got a fix. Like Mark quite frustrating last year. Great car!
    I'm 8 months with no starter switch problem.

I had the wheels balanced today -- probably will need new tires by end of the year.

The OEM tires, High performance A/S are pretty lame in terms of performance, but they are quiet and, under the circumstances, comfortable.

Audi -- please offer us more tire choices if at all possible.

Computer systems should make this a no brainer.
    I just ordered my new 2007 S6 (Silver with ebony) from my dealer. Just wondering if there are any others out there that have ordered the new S6? Curious about your color and option choices. Not to many options as the S6 is loaded with everything possible including a rear view camera that has lines to designate your backward movement. Look forward to the flared front fenders and the eye-popping 435 bhp V10. Heard it has one mean growl to it.
    No, not me, but if you're looking to adopt a 55 year old and loan him your S6 (to take his wife out, natch) from time to time, I'm your man.

I really really like my 2005 A6 3.2, really.

My favorite Audi, however, of the 28, was NOT my A8, not even my two A6 4.2's -- nope, my favorite to this day remains my 1995 S6 with all options.

I am certain my 2005 A6 is more refined, cleaner, probably not too much slower than the S6 and certainly safer by a factor of at least 5.

The S6 (and I do believe the S4 and S8 would be the same) is a fantastic car, one that will most likely spoil you for almost any other car.

Check out the review of the BMW, Audi and Mercedes in Automobile's July issue (I think it is July, anyhow.)

First time in history -- the Audi bested the Bimmer.

I read the report and both cried and swelled with pride (figuratively speaking) -- the S6 sounds like the maximum fun you can have.
    I'll ask my wife if she would like another child, already trained to boot! Thanks for your input. We also have an 2005 A6 4.2 S-Line and a 2005 A8L W12. I have always owned Audis and find them exquiste to own and drive. You are right about the 1995 S6. A very rare and special car if you can get one. I know several ACNA members that own one and bring it to the track. Audi has always had these refined sports sedans the most people did not understand. I did read the article and I too cried and swelled with pride. But, Audi has been beating BMW consistently in many comparos. The 7-Series always places behind the refined A8L and the A6 beats the 5-Series in pretty much all the comparos. But it does show what a fantastic car the new S6 is considering it has 100 bhp disadvantage compared to the other two, but pretty much bested both the MB and BMW in overall driving and definitely quality and refinement if read closely between the lines. And the S6 is not even the main competitor as quattro GmbH is going to release the RS6 within a year or year and half.
    You'll probably get more congratulations and envy than "I'm getting one also" responses.

So, to keep a bit of attention on Audi (the actual sales dark horse, underdog even to Infinity M35, which is often pointed to as the one you won't see everywhere, as you will with BMW 5-series), Automobile Magazine wrote: "We expected the S6 to be notably slower and less involving, with more androgynous handling qualities and less feedback overall. But we were wrong. Despite the near total absence of drama, its set of reflexes is complete. Quattro is a bonus not only in winter or when it rains: it also ties the car down well through dips and brows, makes carving the twisties much more relaxed, and always-always-puts the power down. Instead of bothering you with weight distribution or traction-control issues, the S6 simply goes where you point it. No, power oversteer is not easily induced, but when you whip all three cars through a wet corner, there is one clear winner. And at an estimated $75,000, the Audi is the most affordable supersedan...The fact that the M5 has fallen so far so fast tells you three things: That this is an extremely fast-moving business. That even a well-founded status quo can be eroded by clever evolution. And that the big-engine-in-a-mid-size-car game is more competitive than ever."

Same can be said, in varying degrees, about still-underrated entire A6 line -- even when compared to BMW 5-series, I believe.

Please tell us more about buying experience and expected arrival date.
    If there is a 10% increase in mpg, along with the increase in hp, as a result of FSI system being added to V8, what would mileage be like, given what any of you are getting with 4.2 now?

Has anyone ordered a 4.2 S-Line? Anyone driving a 2005 or 2006 4.2 S-Line? Havne't heard much about that, but saw one in newspaper being sold with only 5K.
    Strange how the A6 is the "dark horse" in the US, but it is the number one selling mid-sized luxury vehicle in the world and leads its tier 1 rivals the 5-Series and E-Class in Europe. It's like the A8L...the most underrated luxury car in the US once again, but one the most popular luxury vehicles in the rest of the world. I think we will "get it" eventually here once AoA cleans up its marketing arm a little better and actually starts to "understand" the brand somewhat more.

Anyway, the buying experience has been as the article states "absent of any drama." I have a very strong relationship with my Audi dealer and my brand associate, so the buying experience is always top notch. It is very easy to specifiy a S6. You have the Technology Package: (voice, parking system with rear-view camera, DVD Nav, Sirius); Warm Weather Package : (Solar Sunroof, Power Rear and Side Window Sunshades): Rear Airbags, Adaptive Cruise, Heated Rear Seats, Leather Driver Side Dashboard, and the tire package of 19" rims. You can choose either black or silver headliners with either an ebony or silver interior (0nly two choices in the US). The colors available are Brilliant Black, Light Silver Metallic, Brillant Red, Quartz Gray Metallic, Ibis White, Phantom Black Pearl Effect, or Sprint Blue Pearl Effect.

The S6 is due to arrive by late October or November. All my Audis are pretty much special ordered, and I always seem to get them faster than the specified date given me usually by a month. But my dealer has quite a bit of orders already on hand ahead of me for the S6 as well as the S8.