Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• brian124brian124 Posts: 38
    For argument's sake, what do you mean by "great safety feature"? On wet roads, how is a Quattro going to keep you safer? Accelerating faster is not a safety feature. I have a A6Q and a SUV with 4 Wheel Drive. I admit, I often put my SUV in 4x4 in the summer on wet roads, but that is for acceleration only. Yes, in the snow, 4X4 can help you stay on the road but on a wet road?? I just don't get it. Are you really driving your car that hard on wet roads that you need front and rear wheel drive to pull your car back on the road as you slide? Keep in mind, we are comparing an Audi with Quattro against a FWD Audi with ESP (Stability Control) not an old sports car with rear wheel drive.

I'm just trying to be objective. I will conceed, that Quattro is more fun.
  • allagarooallagaroo Posts: 88
    I don't believe a car has to be driven near its limits to benefit from Quattro. It gives you a very secure feeling in the wet that once I had I will not get a car without AWD again. I used to be concerned when I had my BMW 5 series( before X) and Q45 when it would rain and forget snow. Even in the dry it eliminates torque steer and to me out handles FWD. I'd get it wherever I would live.
    J
    "I used to be concerned when I had my BMW 5 series..."

Yes, and the sun is hot.

BMWs are some of the worst cars to drive on slick roads of any kind. I used to have a BMW and the dealer himself told us to park it when the roads got bad. Again, we are not comparing rear wheel drive BMWs to Audis.

I give up.
  • liferulesliferules Posts: 531
    Don't confuse 4x4 with Quattro. Quattro has special gearing to prevent tires from spinning out, instead using others to keep traction on the road. 4x4 just has all 4 wheels moving, regardless of whether one is spinning or not. Its not the accelerating faster aspect, its the fact that the car will actually move forward in a straight line. What is different between snow and rain in terms of wheels losing traction on a road? To me it is very similar, especially when rain gets onto an oil slicked road.

I don't believe there is a driver out there that hasn't lost traction when driving in the rain or on wet roads, whatever speed they are driving. ESP will prevent wheels from spinning purposelessly, but if only FWD, you may be sitting still, whereas, Quattro will allow the car to move forward and maintain the speed you were moving, rather than dangerously slowing down, potentially getting rear-ended.

And, no. I don't drive "hard". I drive the speed limit (give or take 5-8 mph), but still feel the difference on wet roads. I disagree with your assertion that one needs to drive the car "to the max" to achieve benefits of Quattro. It kicks in at normal driving on less than optimal roads all the time, maybe you just don't notice it...

As to whether Quattro truly improves safety, refer to the AOA website as well as numerous other sources that tout its safety.
    You might be confusing traction control with Quattro. Unless Quattro has recently been changed, I'm not sure I know what you're talking about. My A6Q does not have traction control (it was not offered on the 2000). I assure you that I can spin all four wheels and slide it sideways on snow or oil slick roads. And, please don't go on a Jeep or Toyota forum and say what you did on your post about 4X4.
    No, I'm quite comfortable saying Quattro.

Did you read the link? Have your Googled "quattro"?
    Guys, I think Audis are great cars! I own one. My next car will be a new A6 4.2 Quattro. They handle great, better than cars without it, etc, etc. But Quattro does not allow the car to avoid the laws of physics.

Not to burst your bubbles, but the differential Audi uses to control their 4 wheel drive system is manufactured by a firm called JTEKT. It is called a Torsen differential. Hummer, Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota, Honda, and Subaru use Torsen differentials in some of their cars and trucks with 4 wheel drive. Many of them have setups that are nearly identical to your A4s and A6s. (Now I'm going to get thrown off this forum for heresy!)

Yes, Audi of course claims that having a car with Quattro (Torsen differential) is safer on all types of surfaces than one without. The only aspect of the Quattro system that makes it unique to Audi and safer on ALL surfaces is on SOME models Audi places the Torsen differential inside of the transmission. This allows Audis to use the engine/clutch to brake using all four wheels. This has obvious safety and control advantages on all surfaces when using the engine to brake. Also, you can understand the benefits to race cars that are being driven to their limits and use the engine to brake routinely. Automatic transmision Audis DO NOT use this setup. That is not to say there are no benefits on wet or dry surfaces.

As I stated before, four wheel drive is more fun to drive than front wheel drive, Quattro eliminates torque steer, improves acceleration, etc.

The guy was just asking for opinions and I said that if HE WAS COMFORTABLE with the performance of a FWD (which I am not but many people are) he should consider the FWD Audi. Many people buy Audis because of their interior and exterior styling and road manners. My wife for instance would have no idea if she was driving a Quattro or FWD Audi. She just thinks they look good. Let's call a truce.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,068
    . . .the resale value improvement alone justifies selecting the car with quattro.
  • any suggestions...still a fairly expensive car for an 02, and have never owned an Audi before....any adivce??
    Sorry, I can't help it.

Edmunds is showing that in Florida, a 2002 A6 with Quattro has a trade in value of only $730 more than a FWD with CVT. In other words, your car is going to depreciate more in Florida if you have Quattro. Certainly this is not the case in northern states.
    And new quattro was what $1800 more?

Seems like, after 5 years, it was worth $1,070 or a couple hundred a year? I am not certain I get your point, sorry.
    You are correct, resale value is better (as a percentage of purchase price) for the Quattro. Depreciation would have been the better term.

Using your number of $1800, the Quattro would depreciate $1,070 more over 5 years than a FWD A6 in Florida. Quattro will not "pay for itself" as I understand it will in the Northeast. At one point in time, the lease rates were roughly the same for the Quattro as they were for the FWD. Don't know if that is the case now.

We probably lost the original poster a while ago, but his question was legitimate. Audi lists the current difference between models as being $3,150. That is a big chunk of change on an already expensive car. The point is, for someone like my wife driving in Florida, I don't think I would advise her to buy the Quattro. That's all. However, I would buy it.

I think the bottom line is that you and others would say don't buy an Audi without Quattro period. I would say that for certain owners, in certain locations, the FWD works just fine. The difference in resale value in Florida demonstrates that the market agrees with me. Otherwise, dealers would be giving away the FWDs.
    I go a long way back with Audi. 1977 my first a 1978, only came in FWD. My first best car, so to speak.

I am NOT anti FWD, in some respects I am more in favor of FWD than RWD "generally speaking."

In Florida, overall, given the choice between a pure FWD vs RWD, I would probably go with and defend FWD.

It is possible, is it not, that there could be a move in your future, or some other event that may require you to take the car north.

If this is indeed possible, a consideration of the Quattro is still not beyond the pale.

Enjoy the Audi is the first message.
    I agree!! Glad we can have a friendly argument.
    I too agree -- these "debates" or arguments pave the way for the most "learning." When they devolve, well, that's another story.

When all is said and done, it is, after all, your choice, your decision, your resources.

Different points of view may be able to sway your thinking; and, one of the most important contributions made by the Internet, do appear to be such forums as these.
    these "debates" or arguments pave the way for the most "learning." When they devolve, well, that's another story.

I know you are, but what am I?! ...er, I mean, yes, I agree, these adult debates are quite intellectually stimulating... :)

I agree with the 2 above comments...I am personally very happy with my Audi and am likely to purchase another when the time comes. It's nice to see some activity on the A6 board.

On a side note, does anyone know if it is possible to erase the radio favorites list? It seems it isn't possible by reading the manual but I just can't believe they expect you to set the favorites once and never again. What if you sell the car and the new owner has different preferences?

I have gotten rid of my XM (just wasn't getting much out of it), but now can't reorganize my FM and AM favorites to move them up to the top...
  • dan339gdan339g Posts: 56
    It appears some these questions have been addressed , but I'll throw in my two cents on #1 & 3. I've got the adaptive cruise control in my 06 3.2 and it is my favorite technology feature. It works amazingly well in most types of traffic. The system defaults to a preset number of car lengths between you and the vehicle ahead (4 I believe), but you can adjust down or up to suit your preference. At the default setting, the gap is a bit too large for other drivers to resist the temptation to cut in, so I usually adjust it down to 3 or in some cases 2 car lengths (depending on the volume and speed of traffic). However, unless the intruding vehicle cuts it dangerously close, the system handles these intrusions with relative grace. I've only experienced one incident when the system applied severe braking that was unsettling (the system also sounds an audible alarm as well as warning lights on the dash). There is also a "cool" graphic display in center instrument cluster that depicts the rear image of the car and a scale of the distance between the next vehicle the system can detect. When the gap closes to a sufficient distance, the brake lights on the graphic car image light up to let you know the system is prepared to brake. I've used it in driving rain, and light snow, neither of which appear to interfere with the functionality. Now that I've had it for a year or so, I can't imagine living without it. It makes mundane highway driving much more pleasant. I just hope I never incur any serious front end damage...I don't want to think about how much the sensors cost to replace.

In regard to the heated wheel, I'm not sure mine is functioning properly based on the other responses. I find it doesn't warm up quickly or "hot" enough for my preference. By the time I feel a noticeable difference, the climate control system has started to produce enough warm air that it makes little difference. It was a fairly inexpensive option as I recall, but I'm not sure I would order it again.
    Thanks for your input on adaptive cruise. That's what I wanted to hear. I'm getting it.
  • sddoc07sddoc07 Posts: 19
    But I am definitely interested in purchasing an A6 3.2...after test-driving the 3.2, I like its smooth pulling power with the tiptronic but I am clueless as to go for either Quattro or FWD. While the guy in me wants the road-handling of Quattro, I worry about its long-term reliability as well as its effect on tire wear, etc. Can anyone give me input as to their own personal experience with the reliability of Audi's quattro system. Moreover, can anyone really say with a straight face that Audi reliability is no longer a joke? My other choices are an Acura TL (reliable as mud), Lexus GS (reliable as mud, but ugly as mud), and the Infiniti M35 (sort of a toss-up). Thanks!
    I have had problems with Audis over the years. Also had problems with VW and BMW.

Never had a transmission problem, drive train problem, quattro problem, abnormal tire wear problem (even tho there were some short tread life issues, apparently not associated with any brand of car) and some brake rotor problems. I did not care for the 5 speed tiptronic, but usually called its operation annoying rather than something worse.

I have never had any problem that could in any way whatsoever be linked to quattro. I have not had engine, transmission or drive line issues PERIOD.

My wife and I have had 28 Audis between us including some company cars.

We have had two BMW's and three VW's -- she even had a Pontiac GTO with a Hurst shifter when I met her.

This and fifty cents (or $4.00 for a designer version) will get you a cup of coffee.

The service at our dealer has been very good. BMW service is excellent, however, here in River City.

The 2005 C6 A6 that I have been using for about 21 months and 33,000 miles has not been perfect. It has been great in the overall scheme of things, however.

I want more reliable and durable cars (don't we all?)

Audi has, with the current generation of its cars, moved up, way up, in my estimation.

But remember, even with our long history, we represent but a tiny tiny tiny percentage of the population of cars and Audis sold in the US.

I'd get one. I might get another one. If I don't get one it will probably be more of a money issue than a car issue.

I got spoiled by being able to lease this car with nothing down, no sec dep and paying $640/mo 36/45K miles. The sticker was $53,286. Those were the days.

The new CTS from Cadillac seems "as if" it might get my attention. Ditto the upcoming 535xi Bimmer. Audi remains my sentimental fave, but the cars in this class and the one right below just keep getting better and better and more alike all the time. I will, based on my current mood and age (optimistic and 55), shop for the best AWD LPS or ELLPS (in the case of the CTS) that money can rent!

BMW, too, could be attractive.

Having said that, I will not count Audi out until the lease calc sings!

With about a year to go, still loving my A6 3.2, we'll just have to see what happens.

I would, without hesitation vouch for Audi -- and give you fifty cents.

:shades: