Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• kgarykgary Posts: 180
    by markcincinnati May 27, 2007 (11:52 am)

I get into the 2007 on the showroom floor, I use the loaner for a day and (if I'm lyin' I'm dyin') there is virtually no difference. The backup camera is nice -- I would like to have it -- but otherwise there is a digital speed readout in the center of the dash and, um, gee, nuttin' else.

liferules, Replying to: markcincinnati (May 27, 2007 11:52 am)

I have to agree with you, Mark. I keep looking for the A6 to keep pace with the advances of its competitors, but it has virtually remained identical, sans a few electronic gadgets, from the initial ones in '05.

I agree with Mark and Liferules. While several 07 owners claim their cars are big improvements over the 05s, I don't see it. I have driven 07s as loaners and they feel the same as my 05. If a friend was looking to buy an A6 I would tell him to buy an 05 over and an 07 and save his money.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,049
    One of the "benefits" of having a 2005 with about 35,000 miles on it is the use of the newest A6's as "loaners."

The loaners, typically, are 3.2's w/a "few" options, Premium, Sunroof, etc. They are not typically S-Line or V8's.

So, one gets the use of an A6 from time to time that is "brand new."

I kept my last loaner about 26 hours, and other than the digital readout of speed, there was NOTHING that indicated the loaner was a 2007 (other than the MSRP sticker in the glove box.)

I don't mean this is a bad thing. It just seems that there is NO difference (other than the aforementioned back up camera on cars equipped with the technology pkg.)

Check that, one other thing, the POWER ARTICULATED steering column adjustment can be had, now, on a 3.2, now, but not in 2005 (on one such as mine.)

Even the wheels are the same.

I'll wager a detailing of my Cambridge Green Pearl, Amaretto Premium leather equipped A6 would "fool its own mother" into thinking it was a 2007 vintage.

I don't need no stinking cosmetic changes -- but some would not be unwelcome. What I would expect is some, or even ONE, substantive advance: the backup camera and digital speedo and power steering column adjuster don't qualify.

When the power AND efficiency keeps rising (except for the Audi 3.2's) across the LPS landscape, it just makes me scratch my slowly balding head and say "what's up with this?"

Maybe the 2008's will be really heavily subvented and/or discounted to compensate.

:confuse:
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    If you can handle MMI, you can surely conquer iDrive. I prefer iDrive to MMI cuz all controls are RIGHT THERE with the dial vs the 4 external buttons to press around the MMI knob (not to mention the buttons for mode - Nav, AM/FM/SAT, CD, INFO...

The new 5 series iDrive has an extra button or so external to the knob so you can program them for your frequently used functions.

Now if my friend could get his quattro grinding in the front end taken care of, he'd be a VERY happy camper. Recap, sharp turns, usually while going VERY slow, like backing out of a parking slot, front end makes an EXTREMELY loud and very noticable vibration as the steering wheel approaches steering wheel lock and much more so when at actual lock.

I'm suspecting the differential or hub assemblies as a possible catch point as it does NOT do it when the vehicle is sitting still - otherwise I would have recommended he look at the steering pump.

-Paul
  • Hey I noticed on the EPA website that the 01 A6 requires premium gas, where I live gas is really pricey and there is a .20 cent differential between regular and +92 octane fuel. I know on certain cars the auto companies have premium to bump up performance #'s and the cars can run fine on regular just with decreased performance I don't mind the dip in horsepower but would this damage my engine? I heard that running regular in a premium can cause piston problems is this common with the 2001 2.8 Quattro A6 thanks
    You can run it on regular. It is a false economy to do so, however.

Do it, anyway, you will, apparently, feel better after using 1,000 gallons and "thinking" you have saved $200.

You probably won't hurt the pistons, the engine management computer will alter the ignition and it is likely you will use a bit more gas as the combination of your foot and the computer will simply trade one thing for another.

You can find information all over that will "argue" you will spend more than $200 with your approach; and, other arguments that you will "only" spend $100 more, thus saving about $100 bucks.

Gosh, at $3.29 per gallon vs $3.49, if this is really a worry, I'd simply NOT acquire or drive an A6.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    There is a significant body of both scientific and empirical evidence that suggests that using Regular gasoline in a car optimized for Premium (such as an A6) will result in measurably LOWER fuel economy. Said another way (using Mark's example), given that Premium gasoline is between 5% and 6% more expensive than Regular these days, any "savings" gained by buying fuel on the cheap will be eaten up due to having to buy fuel more often for any given number of miles driven.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • brian124brian124 Posts: 38
    There used to be an article on Edmunds about using fuel that had an octane rating that differed from what the manufacturer suggested. I couldn't find the link, but to recap the article, using octane that is too high for your engine results in fuel that is not fully used in the combustion process and as a result can damage your emissions system. Using fuel that is too low in octane rating can cause knocking which will damage your cylinder heads. So if you hear your engine knocking, you might want to reconsider the octane. What was said previously about the electronic fuel system compensating for lower octane might be true, but it wasn't discussed in the article.
  • ricka1ricka1 Posts: 9
    I have an '07 Audi A6 Quattro. I too have wondered about going on the cheap with regular or mid-level. However, I like the extra power of super and the cost savings of regular is offset by the better gas mileage with premium--plus no worries about any engine consequences.

Believe it or not, I'm getting over 24mph with the Audi and it only has 6k miles so far.

Here's what I do. If you drive with some common sense you can get some great gas mileage.

First, I always coast to stops when nearing lights. Saves on the brakes and the hated brake dust buildup.

I don't gun it taking off. I'm past the age (and ego) of racing lights.

Freeway mileage is helped by keeping it under 80. Since I enjoy the car so much, I tend to focus on the smooth ride and great Bose system.

I know its common sense, but check the tire pressure. Remember to do it when the tires are cold. A 10% reduction in pressure robs mileage unnecessarily. Plus it keeps those 18" tires from wearing prematurely.

Finally, I'm no driving prude. I take corners, off and on ramps like a mad man. Love that handling. That's where I get my driving kicks. Fast starts and stops just make no sense anymore.

Hope this helps. 24mph is nothing to sneeze at and I don't believe I'm shortchanging my driving experience.

Just my 2c.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I think this is what you were looking for: Do You Really Need Premium?

:)
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    I must be reading this wrong. I stopped in at an Audi dealer over the weekend and liked the looks of an A6. I thought "Gee, given their horrible resale caused by the unintended acceleration/defective coil pack experiences, I should be able to score a current body style A6 with quatro for a lot less than a Bimmer." I fired up my computer and ran some rough numbers for the MY 05. Edmunds has the private party value of an A6 quatro with the 4.2 V8 at 35K and with the 3.2 six it is 28K. Lo and behold, the Bimmer 530 is less money at 31K and the anemic Bimmer 525 still lower at 29K.

I thought Audis had horrible resale and you could pick up a good one on the cheap? I never expected that they were more money than a Bimmer. What gives?

Incidentally, I asked the sales guy six times about Mark from Cincinnat's claim that you could buy an A6 with a stick and each time he said no.
    Mark's discussion about a stick in an A6 was for the pre-2004 car.

When purchased new the 2005 Audi A6 4.2 cost a few thousand dollars more than the 2005 BMW 530. So it is not surprising that it costs more used. As far as depreciation, Edmunds claims that the Audi will depreciate $18,195 over 5 years, while the BMW will depreciate $16,824 over the same 5 years. On a percentage basis, the depreciation is about the same.
    Thanks for clarifying the stick shift issue.

Conventionnal wisdom would have you believe that a used 5 Series ("The ultimate driving machine") is going to cost more than a Audi A6. Not so, according to Edmunds.
    If you were comparing a 545 to a 4.2 the BMW would cost more. But you are comparing a 530 to the 4.2 so the Audi costs more.
    The last A6 that could be had with a stick, here, was the C5, and not even the 2004 2.7T could be so ordered. As I recall, it was possible, POSSIBLE, to get an allroad 2.7T with the manual shifter then. Of course the allroad was discontinued since the "CUV" had not yet become as popular.

The allroad is due to come back. Probably won't happen.
    Right, a 530i is a little more than a 3.2 Audi. The main point still stands: that Audis do hold their value roughly as well as a Bimmer. This is much to my surprise given their ongoing troubles, so-so dealer facilities, lack of being a "hot" brand among the 30 year olds, etc.
  • reality2reality2 Posts: 303
    What on-going troubles are you talking about? Last time anyone checked, Audi is on a tear in every global market and its profit is soaring. Audi's quality and reliability ratings are higher than that of the other German premium brands. As for dealers, I give you that some dealers are so and so, but it takes time to eliminate those legacy dealers still not performing. But overall, dealers have invested heavily in new facilities and customer service. As for not being "hot", again I suggesst you check carefully before making that statement. Audi is one of the hottest brands among younger affluent buyers as bore out by various surveys. Let's stay away from unsubtantiated opinions and stick to reality before making those claims.
    Thank you.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,207
    Sadly, old perceptions die hard, even in the face of facts.

Hyundai is another example. They're trying to compete with high-end cars, unsuccessfully so far.
    . . .elsewhere (Europe) does well. Often Audi outsells BMW in the homeland.

The German cars, depending on who you talk to, all have less than steller reps -- except for their reputations reported "from behind the wheel."

My wife has a BMW, her second, I have an Audi, "our" 28th, we have also had 2 Passats and a Jetta, too.

Under a variety of circumstances, I would have no problem owning (or leasing) cars from Audi, BMW and VW -- and probably no issues with Mercedes either.

On the other hand, I "almost" leased an Infiniti M35x last time, and I do believe I would have also enjoyed that experience.

Sometimes I think people are trying to find reasons to talk themselves INTO or OUT OF certain decisions.

I could repeat, #29, as an Audi, next time. I wouldn't hesitate.

I will not pay more for an A6 Audi (substantially more) than a BMW 535xi or an Infiniti M35x. I would almost certainly be delighted with ANY of them.
  • reality2reality2 Posts: 303
    True, old perceptions die hard, but the facts are somewhat overwhelming on Audi's presence as a high quality and prestige premium brand globally. Hell, they outsell BMW in two of the world's largest markets - Europe and China. You'd have to be in total denial or a BMW executive (who are also in denial considering some of the moronic statements about Audi they have made lately showing absolutely no class), or just plain ignorant. Also, Hyundai cannot be compared to Audi with over 100 years of premium and motor sport heritage. Hyundai is not even in the same league as Audi, yet alone planet. Audi has always been a premium lux brand.