Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• dwpcdwpc Posts: 159
    Are you pressing the reset button on the bottom of the turn signal lever?
  • tubeytubey Posts: 39
    Actually, it's on the bottom of the wiper lever on the right hand side of the steering column.
  • Hello everyone. Just got my wife a new A6 and I think I love it more than she does!! On the way home from the dealer, after a uturn I got a loud thump and it seemed the trans was slipping. I noticed the check engine light was on and the ASR light was on, tried to turn on ASR no joy. I called the dealer (Champion in Ft.Lauderdale) they said bring it back. After eating lunch went to drive back to dealer and car acted as if nothing happened except for check engine light was on. I read all postings (yes 991) and noticed other people had similar problems. If its any help, the fix was #85 pin pushed put of connector at trans control unit. The dealer had a rental car waiting on me and said they would call when they knew something. By the time drove home (45mins) they already left a message that the car was fixed. I was very impressed by the service and responsiveness, (although it was only two hours old)of the dealer. No further problems. This car is fantastic. How does the A6 ride with aftermarket springs and 18" wheels. Owning a 480hp 95 Mustang I never thought a 200hp Audi would so much fun to drive. Thanks for all the info in advance.
  • >Are you pressing the reset button on the bottom of the turn signal lever?

>Actually, it's on the bottom of the wiper lever on the right hand side of the steering column.

He, he... I knew I was missing something. That'll teach me for not reading the book and being too lazy to check! Thanks.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    So I'm just about ready to bite the bullet. Today I drove a 4.2. Wow.

It had the premium pkg but nothing else. So I would like some opinions ...

Why would I want the sport pkg as my driving style on the street is decidedly non-homicidal and non-suicidal? (I reserve that for the roadster.)

I live in heavy snow country -- from other posts I gather I should plan on getting snows. Do the rest of you folk purchase extra rims for the snows?

Hopefully, I'll get the most reliable one Audi has ever built.

Take care.
    Joe W>
  • gs4rx3gs4rx3 Posts: 25
    I've got a 2000 4.2 with the premium package (not sport) along with the nav, parktronic and bose (no ESP). I also have Dunlop SP5000 tires (all-season) and live in the snowy midwest. The reason I bought the Audi was to replace a Lexus GS400 that was horrible in the snow and rain. I can tell you that the car rides great - sporty enough that I do not miss the sport package, which I have also driven (plus, the seats are much more comfortable in the premium package). The other good news is that the 4.2 with the all season tires drives as well in the snow as our 4 wheel drive Lexus SUV. This winter was especially snowy in December and January and I have been thrilled to have the Audi. I was skeptical about the value of Quattro before I bought it, but this winter has made me a believer!

Hope that helps.
  • petej2petej2 Posts: 13
    A local dealer has a 2000 4.2, for 43k. the car is new, My concern is did the sport option for the 2000 model year make any changes to the suspension, other than tire/wheel upgrades. I believe the 2001 sport option made changes to the suspension also. Is this a good deal/car. I was looking at a S4 or a 2.7T, Performance wise the 2.7T looks close to the 4.2. I really like the S4, but a 4.2 for about the same price caught my eye. Any opinions would be appreciated
  • bertram60bertram60 Posts: 113
    I think that ESP became standard on 2001 which would be the only option you may end up wanting. Dealer (or competing dealer) should be able to give you alist of changes for 2000 and 2001.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,111
    The 2001 sport package changes the wheels, tires, seats and suspension. ESP is standard on the 4.2 for 2001 and WAS available for 2000's as an option. The 2001 2.7T has ESP standard.

ESP was my main reason for getting rid of my 2000 A6 4.2 == but I DID NOT have to pay a huge financial premium to trade my 2000 in on the 2001.

But the price you quote for the 4.2 is soooo attractive.

So here is where I would spend my money knowing what I know now.

And the sport option on the 4.2 has always included a lowered and stiffened suspension -- it is only on the 2.7T that the originally offered sport package did not include a suspension upgrade.

By the way you did not specify if the size differences between the S4 and A6 "bother you."

Assuming one could get a 2001 2.7T for $43K vs a 2000 4.2 for $43K, I believe I would spend my money on the 2001 2.7T -- ESP could save your life -- and that is my reason. The S4 too (for 2001) has ESP standard -- but the S4 has practically no back seat. If that is not a biggie for you, then the S4 (from personal experience) is a great performing and fun car.

That's my take on your options.
  • lms37lms37 Posts: 8
    Just ordered my 2.7t 6-sp. yesterday! I can't wait to get it. But unfortunately I've been told it will take about 4 months for delivery! Has that been the case for others ordering? Only 6-speeds available have had black interiors or exteriors, and I don't want either. It's going to be a looong wait.
  • timcartimcar Posts: 363
    It usually takes anywhere from 2 1/2 to 5 months, with 3 to 4 months being typical. Did you order a 2001 or 2002? I'm not trying to change your mind, but 4 months should put you into the beginning of Audi's new model year. Last year, 2001's started showing up at NJ dealers around the end of July. If you're leasing, the 2002 model will give you a much better residual. Also, 2002 model is supposed to have a facelift, and probably more features and should be even better screwed together. Downside? It'll probably also have a higher price.
  • lms37lms37 Posts: 8
    You just answered my next question. I just read somewhere that there might be a facelift for 2002. We ordered a 2001. We'll definitely check that out and order a 2002. Thanks for the help!
  • lmgottslmgotts Posts: 15
    I ordered an A6 4.2 early during the second week of December and took delivery last Friday, March 30th. I wanted a car with everything except the telephone, so I had to order it. (Silver/Black/Sport/Guidance/Premium/Rear air bags)

I *just* missed the January build, so the car went into the February build. The dealer reported a late first week February build, end of Feb. onto the ship date, and it arrived in San Diego 3rd week of March. A week to get to Northern California, dealer prep. etc. and I was driving March 30.

It was an agonizing wait, but well worth it. Amazing car. Zero problems at delivery +400mi. I'll post periodic mileage updates, and if anyone has questions about the 4.2 model, feel free to ask. Best advice I can give? Get the full sport package for the suspension! Not at all harsh, flat in the corners, lowers the car a bit plus bigger wheels and tires (looks really nice).

For pictures see: http://www.parallaxview.com
    Great pictures. I have the exact same car -- sort of -- I have the telephone and I got Nemo Blue with the Melange Interior. The Nav CD was FedEx'd to my house in 24 hours, so I literally didn't even have the car one day before the Nav CD arrived. Shh -- my dealer said he would get me one "free" CD (either a second zone or an update) 6 - 12 months after delivery. I think the CD is updated "big time" annually and has a minor update approx every other 6 months.

The telephone option ($495 MSRP) is great -- NO DROPOUTS, unlike my digital phone -- and I was able to get a package from my carrier that "turned on" my factory phone for $10.00 a month. And, when I am driving, I just forward my wireless portable phone # to my Audi. If you need a phone while driving, this is very nice. Also, you can add the factory phone at the dealer. FYI.

I saw the Silver A6 4.2 at the factory in Ingolstadt with an incredibly beautiful Camel Colored Leather Sport Interior. I tried to order it that way and Audi of America said Na Baby Na. The only "secret" order you can place is for Pearl White Paint. The sport seats, suspension and wheels make significant driving differences with very little ride quality changes -- I know you will love yours.

Agree on the 6spd too.

No problems either (4 months and almost 5K miles), but I do not like the Pirelli P6000 tires that it came with. My 2000 A6 4.2 had Dunlop Sp9000's and they were better in rain, curves, road noise and they lasted about 20K miles -- I have had the P6000's (Z rated) before and they will be long gone before that.
    Thanks for your comments Mark.

My dealer is really flaking on the map CD. He said it would be FedEx'd to me yesterday: no delivery. Apparently it didn't go out for delivery today (Tues. 4/3) either. Bummer. My partners here at my company have a BMW X5 with nav, and getting directions from your car is a great tool!

Anyone have a West Coast CD they want to loan me for a day? Gotta love digital discs, so easy to copy.

As you can see from the photos, my car came with Continentals. I like 'em so far.

You make a really great case for the phone. What is the per-minute fee you got along with the $10/month?

Finally found one fault in the car as delivered: the shoulder height adjustment on the passenger side seat belt (in the B-pillar) is installed a little off and will not slide up or down. Can't seem to push it into position myself, so will have to have the dealer take a look. I hope they don't have to take the pillar apart, as it always makes me nervous at the possibility of new creaks and squeaks.

I'm having the windows tinted this Friday, and that will about do it for now I think. I'm just trying to find more hours in my day to drive! Will have to use the weekends. Haven't really tossed the car around yet - my wife doesn't like the hot-rodding around, so I'll have to go early one day by myself.
    Went with Verizon wireless.

Bought 1,800 minutes a month with a wireless hand held phone for $39.95 (600 peak and 1,200 off peak, no LD chrge).

This phone has phone #1.

Activated Audi car phone -- free activation.

Went to Audi dealer -- which is done after activation, to "turn on the steering wheel buttons."

Audi has phone #2, but it is "billed" as if I was using phone #1 -- which is to say, I have a pool of minutes -- and it doesn't matter if #1 or #2 uses the minutes. So my monthly cost "free calls" is now $49.95 -- then I get charged for air time after my 600 peak and 1200 off peak. I think it is another $10.00 to raise the 600 to 900 and the 1,200 to 1,500 -- so far it has not been an issue, because so much of my phone time in the car is apparently "off peak." I have burned through the 600 minutes once in the past four months.

The Audi system is telephone hi-fi and even the volume is controlled on the steering wheel -- the Navigation Lady's voice will come on just loud enough to hear it over the phone or tape, radio or CD that may be playing (her volume is adjustable, too). And, yes you are right the Nav system is fantastic -- I finally got mine set the way I like it -- which is to say "Fast Route." Mine came with a default of "Short Route" -- which may be shorter but is often much longer (time.)

Re-route is great too. The system is almost uncanny and is accurate at minimum 95+% of the time to within a few feet. One or two times it "got confused" but one of those was after a major highway had been changed from a left bend to a right bend (a new CD annually would appear to be a good thing at least here in the Orange Barrel Cap of the midwest -- Cincinnati).

The Navigation system is one of THE most useful features I have ever seen -- when I bought it I thought it would be cool and possibly used from time to time. I use it regularly -- even in areas of my city I thought I knew. It always seems to "get me there faster." It goes ways that I "know" but would never think to use -- time and time again, I find myself relying on this tehcnology. And it seems to know 90%+ of the restaurants in Cincinnati -- and although we are a small city, we have a TON of fine restaurants and the Audi Lady just guides me to them without fuss.

Oh yes, in Germany, front Parktronic is available as an addition to rear parktronic, but not the other way around (front parktronic has an off on switch unlike rear Parktronic).

Enjoy your new Batmobile.
    Mark,

Parktronic:

I've posted this over on AudiWorld.com, but no feedback.

Before I go hunting for the sound source (speaker), I was hoping that I could adjust the volume of the parktronic in some way. It is WAY, WAY TOO LOUD! I'm blasted by it up front, and for rear passengers it's like electroshock therapy. Haven't spent any time looking for the source (and I'm hoping that it's not coming through the stereo system...). No info in the manual.

The single chirp as I go into reverse is a wake up, and the warning chirps as I get close to something are just too much. I'd almost prefer that it was off, if the volume cannot be adjusted.

Ideas?

Telephone:

Thanks for the info. Out here, I use SprintPCS. I might look into the phone for the car, sounds like a nice setup.

P.S. Gave the dealer some grief this am - though I feel that I'm suffering more of that than he is :-), and now expect my disc tomorrow.
  • petrie3petrie3 Posts: 47
    Read your post with interest and envy. Your phone plans seem much better than ours here in SoCal. I just signed up with Verizon here for $49.00/month which includes 450 peak mins., 1000 night/weekend mins. and 1000 mobile-mobile minutes. Your plan gets more peak minutes for less $ and I like the phone #2 deal too. Ah well, on the other hand, it's 70 deg. here again today and the links are calling! :-)) ( no flame meant...I went to school in Ohio, as did my daughter and love visiting old friends there!).
    Gotta say that the SprintPCS plan here in NorCal is pretty good. Got a nice phone with 2500 minutes (1000 anytime, 1500 off-peak), free LD for $49.95/mo.

Some promo they were having just around Christmas.

Not perfect coverage by any means, but okay for my needs.
  • actionmanactionman Posts: 15
    Just removed my used up Pilots from the '96 A6q. Had Vredestiens put on. So far so good. I had never heard of them, but they are supposed to be quite great in the snow and rain, even though I bought the all season variety. The Pilots had about 10,000 miles left on them, but were cupped. The Vred's are much much quieter and smoother. Stick is no problem. Apparently made in Holland. Anyone have any experience with these?
    I do not have the same problem -- and I have no clue where the beep comes from. It would seem that there would be a "trim potentiometer" (aka volume control) that could be adjusted by the dealer.

Sorry I couldn't be of help.
  • The only one they had to show me was just delivered off the truck and rather dusty, so I didn't get a real good feel for the color, other than it appears quite a bit lighter than the chip in the book. Any pictures of yours, Mark Cininatti?
    BTW, delivery end of June,(Wanted a 2001, dealer says no changes for 2002, face lift only for A4):
    A6 4.2
    Guidance
    Premium
    Sport
    Sorry Jason no pictures -- Nemo Blue has, in my opinion, a greater pearlescent effect (than Ming Blue) -- some like it, some don't. It can appear Navy Blue, It can appear "milky" Blue, it can under certain artificial lights (like in an underground prk garage) to be almost Purple. I bought it (ordered it -- waited 4+ months) virtually sight unseen -- I like it, but I will not get it again. I will most likely get either Silver or Pearl White -- and yes I know that Pearl White is $1,200 MSRP -- but it is beautiful with either a Grey or Ecru or Camel Interior. In Europe the Silver color exterior is mated with a striking Camel Color interior -- not avail here (for now at least).

No one at my dealership knows anything about a 2002 facelift -- they do know about an S6 Avant and a "completely new" A4 however.

Enjoy!
  • iniaudiiniaudi Posts: 6
    Hello everyone. Just ordered my A6 2.7T / 6 Spd. in ming blue/melange leather w/Premium, Preferred, Cold Weather, Guidance, and Sport Packages. Also got the Bose upgrade and rear/side window shades. Dealer says it should be in around the end of May. They supposedly changed one on order to my specifications. We'll see. I was waivering between C320, BMW 530i, and the A6 2.7T/4.2. I think what really convinced me was the quickness of the 6spd in the rain. Also BMW or Mercedes would not budge from MSRP. I'm sure that those two will retain their value better, but I'm hoping I will like this car enough not to worry about that and keep it (4 years) until AUDI makes an even better car. I also checked out the S4 6 speed, interior too small for my needs, but what fun. Check out Audiworld.com for some modifications to use your Nokia phone wired in to the car's system.

Thanks to everyone's postings, the decision was easy one.
  • My BMW dealer has one coming in on trade. I may trade my 97 7 series on it. It has the Sport/Premium/Guidance options. I am looking forward to seeing it. The downside is that the nearest dealership is 75 minutes away.

Is there anything to look out for on the car?
    Holy depreciation Batman!

This $55+K car -- unless an absolute Lemon or the survivor of a near total crash is being traded in this soon?

What could BMW have -- other than a 740 w/Sport (which would be just about $70K) that would even come close (there just can't be any M5's available -- I would presume)?

And, if you didn't like the A6 'cause it was too downscale for you -- how about an S8 -- sweeet!

Wow. I thought I went through cars (virtually always Audi's quickly).

Inquiring minds want to know the story on this one.

And, unless it has high milage for its age. Snatch this puppy up and put a new set of tires on it (if it needs them) and drive off into the sunset!

Seriously, I am keenly interested why someone would get rid of this car, so young, so tender, so rarin' to go?!?
  • iniaudiiniaudi Posts: 6
    I optioned for the PST because I wanted the sport seats (support), sport suspension. Last night, the dealer pointed out to me that my ordered car is now coming in with 17" wheels with, I believe, 245/45 tires. I think all the A6 2.7T ordered now have these wheels (but don't quote me on that). The only drawback, is now the spare tire is a space saver unit, not a full size matching wheel/tire. This is great, because I wanted to get the 17" wheels anyway, but did not want to spend the extra $$$.

iniaudi
    You will like the 17" set up!
  • vkjvkj Posts: 67
    on 3/17 and like it a lot. Be prepared for a delay in your order as my car was ordered at the end of October for December production, originally, but the PST delayed the order by 6 weeks or so. The 17 inch wheels have 225/45/17 Bridgstone Re40's. Your car may come with P6000's.