Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    Why don't you ask your friend what the differences are, since, beside the "certain something", you don't seem to know.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I assume you have extensively test driven both the VW and the Audi. You must like the VW. Buy it. I recently test drove a Passat and an Audi -- there is a significant difference.

The Audi was "better" in the following areas:

1. Handling
    2. Body fit and Finish
    3. Look and Feel of Materials
    4. Performance
    5. Features and amenities -- the content of the Audi is "higher" both quantitatively and qualitatively.
    6. Warranty/Service and dealer treatment of customers

Under the circumstances, I would say the VW would be my second choice -- and that's not meant to be a slam.

The Passat "felt more like a Camry or a Honda" -- it was very nice, but it less "tight" -- less sporty, less refined.

First cousins are not bad, just not the same -- buy the VW.

Perhaps you have convinced several people on this forum that they should buy VW's, perhaps not -- there is a VW town hall here on edmunds that will not [in theory at least] try to convince you to that you should have purchased the Audi, I presume.

Most of us here are very loyal to Audi -- I suspect.

And we, I assume, hope you enjoy your new VW.
  • mknmkn Member Posts: 35
    Talked to the dealer today. Am going to leave the car with him for the week. The tie rods would cost somewhere around $400. In addition, a number of small things need to be fixed. Apparently the recall on the tie rods do not apply for my car, although it is a 98 model. The problem is the exact same thing but the VIN # of 98 Audi A6s that have been recalled do not include mine. I am thinking of buying a warrantybynet insurance policy to prepare for any more of such stuff in the future. Thanks.
    What about the "good will" that is sometime available from the Mfg? Was this subject broached, or is the dollar amount small enough that you want to save this argument for another day?

Since you are under 50K miles, I suspect there there may be some relief on this issue. A couple of phone calls, perhaps an e-mail or a letter is not too big of an investment -- who knows they may co-op the cost of the repair for you. 50% is better than nothing. And the cost of finding out is so low that it shouldn't be too difficult to turn this into an answer within a couple of days. Try 1-800-for-audi or ask the dealer for some help. Remember you will catch more flies with honey. . . .

Just a thought.
    Thanks. I would appreciate it if you could elaborate on this. Who shoild I write to: the dealer or AoA? The tie rod replacements are going to cost $459 (estimate) plus the other costs. I am certainly interested in pursuing other avenues to get the work done for a lower price although my warranty has since expired (time-wise). How would I go about addressing this issue when I talk to the dealer tomorrow? Thanks...
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    timcar said: "I don't believe 4motion is quattro either."

In short, he AWD system on the Audi A6 is indeed the same as the AWD system on the VW Passat.

In detail...

In the Audi cars with longitudinal engines (A4, A6, etc.), Audi uses the Torsen AWD system. In the Audi cars with transverse engines (TT), Audi uses the Haldex AWD system. Audi calls both of those Quattro, even though they are significantly different.

In the VW cars with longitudinal engines (Passat), VW uses the Torsen AWD system. In the VW cars with transverse engines (Golf, Jetta/Bora), VW uses the Haldex AWD system. VW calls both of those systems 4Motion.

The Audi A4, Audi A6, and the VW Passat are built off the same platform. The width and length of the cars is different, but VW/Audi designed the platform so it could be lenghthened and widened.

Jared
  • gooddesigngooddesign Member Posts: 34
    Mark and MKN:

My '98 A6 Sedan Quattro also recently had a similar problem. My Audi service manager (Indy only has one Audi dealership) told me that "Audi of America wouldn't offer any GOOD WILL repaires/discounts."

Not because my car's 36 months were -BARELY- up (and only 47k miles) but because I was "the second owner, not the original." Does this sound credible to either of you?

This is absolutely unbelievable and I can't fathom why any manufacturer would damage their reputation so badly to save such a small amount of money.

A brand like Audi can't afford NOT to offer good will repairs/discounts. It doesn't add up at the bottom line.

My bottom line was that I had to pay for it myself... It simply doesn't make sense for a three-year old car to have these kinds of problems. If it weren't so perfect otherwise, many of us here would drive BMWs or MBs.

My VIN# is also JUST OUTSIDE the range of VINs affected by the recall and my wheels feel like they are going to roll off when I reverse and turn simultaneously. Had I been the original owner, I suspect that I would be the proud owner of some new tie rods right now.

As it is, I can't afford to repair it any time soon and can only hope that my wife and I aren't killed in it. Maybe then, my estate would have better leverage with Audi than I currently have.

I don't mean for this to sound so negative; I honestly wouldn't trade my A6 for anything else except maybe an A8. But that's later when my A6 is paid off. The faster A6s are nice but I don't race, I just enjoy the luxury.

When my wife eventually leaves me due to my obsession with European cars, I will look at the TT.

-Mike
  • lostwageslostwages Member Posts: 21
    I love the A6 and am considering leasing a 2001 2.7t. I have been offered a 39 month lease w/ $0 cap cost down (approx. $1,500 in the "other costs") for $610 per month (includes WA 8% tax).

However, I love the looks of the 4.2 (and I prefer the feel of the v8 vs. twin turbo). Any real world experiences between the two from anyone? Is the 4.2 worth an approx. extra $100 per month? Any experience with difference in repairs/reliability/etc....
  • lostwageslostwages Member Posts: 21
    Other option I am considering is a 48 month lease of Volvo S60 T5 at $525/month (not including approx. $40/month tax. No cap cost reduction. Total down $1,000 after Volvo loyalty discount.

Thoughts on how the Volvo compares???
    Exactly. I cannot figure out why they should be hesitant to do this much, at the very least. What is the purpose of having owner update information cards in the manual then? Yes, it is disappointing to note that Audi is reluctant to cater to such needs for a not-so-cheap vehicle. I was told by the mechanic and the dealer not to drive the car around with the tie rods damaged and so it is in the garage. I am getting it to the dealer tomorrow and leaving it with him. I want the whole thing fixed and cheked out before I touch the car again. Can't take risks with kids....

Will keep you posted...
  • mjordanszdmjordanszd Member Posts: 17
    i didn't spend any more than 30 minutes in the s60 t5, but there are three differences between that car and the 2.7t that immediately come to mind, and which led me to the audi:

1. torque steer - plenty of it in the volvo; none in the 2.7t;

2. rear seat accomodations - the volvo felt much, much tighter in back than the a6; and

3. interior luxury and design - hands down, the audi is much more a luxurious interior. granted, the volvo philosophy seems to be focused on safety, not luxury, but even my wife, who never seems to be into luxury items like wood trim, commented on the sterile look of the volvo compared to the audi.

on another note, for the life of me, i can't figure out how to search individual messages for key words such as "xenon." sorry to re-hash past discussions (and i've done it already with my break-in question), but i recall seeing some posts awhile back about the audi's xenon's being "stepped" (the driver's side slightly lower than the passenger's), but don't remember if that's normal.
    Go first to the dealer and tell them you are interested in pursuing Audi Good Will.

Ask, politely, no threats, for the names of people you could contact or if there is anyone who they would contact on your belhalf. The second owner thing doesn't make sense to me either, but I suspect the first owner may be considered higher up on the totem pole -- because they said so.

I would call 1-800-FOR-AUDI (have your VIN # handy just in case). There are people on the line from Audi who may be able to help you too.

You could then, if you have no satisfaction, try writing a letter to the person who handles Audi Customer Relations for your "district" or if there is only one write to her/him. Someone will give you the name of the person, you may make a few calls, but you will get to the person.

Then write your letter, explain your case, ask for advice and even ask if there might be a way that AoA would "co-op" the cost, perhaps they would pay for 60% for example.

None of this is a lock, but you will never get anywhere if you do not ask.

Take one or two steps, write here on the forum and tell us your progress.

I will wrack my brain for further suggestions.

Again, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck.
    I now have 300 miles on my "newly turned" front rotors, and I am carefully announcing that the procedure was not entirely unsuccessful. I would say there is about a 30+% imrpovement -- and yes I know this is terribly subjective. Around town, at speeds under 50 MPH I would say the procedure has been perhaps 60 - 75% effective, no noise, no purr, no shudder most of the time.

Driving for 50 miles on a freeway at speeds above 65 - 70MPH and tapping the brake for a "normal" need to slow down, no panic, no hard long stop, no ABS activation, etc -- the purring comes right back.

Another way to say this is that this is about a 60 - 70% failure.

I will be informing my dealer in a couple of days -- part of the problem was that I was driving from Columbus OH to Cincinnati and it was raining pretty heavily the entire way. Perhaps it was a rain issue; I am driving to Columbus on Wednesday (100 miles one way) and will be able to engage a further test of the brakes.

So, improvement, noticable improvement, yes. Major improvement, no. I'll keep you posted.
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    Thanks to Jared for correcting my post in which I said I thought quattro and 4Motion were different AWD systems. I was thinking of the Haldex system in the smaller VW's. Since I don't usually have time to double-check my recollection, I use qualifiers like "believe" and "If so" when I'm not positive. My central point was that the A6 & Passat ARE different, with significant differences in content, though they DO share many components. The size difference in the platform as applied to the Passat translates into difference in interior room. According to VW/Audi, the Passat and A6 are built on different platforms. Both the Passat and A4 are designated as the B Platform, whereas the A6 is built on the larger C Platform (Currently C5) which it shares with the upcoming Passat W8.

Prior to getting my 2.7T I test-drove a V6 Passat. The Passat is a very nice, competent, good handling sedan with enough power to be driven enjoyably. Immediately upon driving the A6 2.7T I realized it's in a whole different class, irrespective of any shared content. I would urge anyone who's seriously trying to decide between these two autos to drive each auto enough to feel the differences. You may decide that to you the differences aren't worth the added cost, and that's your prerogative. I made the mistake once of allowing auto publications to select my purchase based on reviews. I think reviews ARE very helpful in creating a list of candidates, but its important to understand that these publications and the writers of their reviews can have multiple agendas. The only opinion that really counts is yours, and some behind-the-wheel time is needed to appreciate any auto.

Stepped beams in both the halogen and xenon versions of the A6's lights ARE normal. It was designed that way to assist oncoming drivers. If the lights in your particular car are too low, they can be adjusted upward.
    Audi and VW share a lot of hardware -- they don't share everything.

I do agree that the Passat 4Motion is a Torsen system just like the Audi. It hasn't always been this way. Now, however, the Passat 4motion uses a system that from what I can tell is the same as the quattro system.

The suspension (tuning, etc.) is not the same. Specificiations all over the board are not the same.

The feel of the cars when driven back to back is not the same.

The new W8 Passat should be a very nice car, but from what I read the VW will be marketed more toward practical luxury -- and it will be tuned thus, and the Audi will be set up more for those interested in a sport sedan. Today Audi announced S Line -- a new way to increase the content of the line and push it more upscale and sporty simultaneously -- it appears that Audi will be the sporty division and VW will be the more luxo division. VW will compete, apparently with Mercedes and Audi with BMW. Positioning and engineering (marketing and desgin and execution) will keep (supposedly) the lines moving forward but in different directions.

I for one think the new VW's (at least the Passat) will initially be a consideration for [perhaps] first time Audi buyers.

So while I still do not accept the identical twin concept that has been discussed of late, I futher state that my "they're cousins" comment may be somewhat further refined to be "they're possibly first cousins."

The products they do get more exciting.
    I'd check with the consumer protection agency of your state for other recourse. When a private individual purchases a used car from a dealer, as opposed to a private individual, I believe there MAY be an implied warranty of serviceability that MAY be violated by the car being unsafe to drive because of worn tie rods.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,495
    the Volkswagens are marketed toward people who actually buy cars, and the Audi's are for folks who lease (rent) theirs.

Just a thought.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • ctorreyctorrey Member Posts: 64
    I took delivery of an '01 4.2 in June. Due to problems with the integrated phone, I was given a '01 2.7T (auto) loaner for a week. Although the 2.7T was quick and a pleasure to drive, the feel & sound of the V8 is incredible. It is smooth and emits a great sound at all RPM's. Despite the tiptronic transmission (see below), the car has tremndous "break away" power at all speeds, which makes passing/driving fun - and safe(er). I also love the differences in the body style (although much of these will be passed on to the non-4.2 A6's for '02 models). I live in the Boston area and EVERYONE has either a ming blue 2.7T or a black 2.8 (not that it should impact your decision), so I like the exclusivity that comes with the 4.2.

The one thing I can't stand is the automatic transmission. It just seems to sap performance (same could be said for the 2.7T). The tiptronic is a waste with all of its "rules" and restrictions. My '98 A4 2.8Q had a far more functional tiptronic set up. I can't imaging what this car would be like with a manual.

Needless to say, I felt the extra $100/mo (lease) was worth it - and I still do. Although regardless of the model, it was a "win-win" decision. FYI: keep in mind there are a number of features standard on the 4.2 that must be purchased on the 2.7T. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when it comes to $$.
    Once again your differences seem to be subjective. Where are the numbers or specs to back up your claims? I'm just shopping and doing a lot of research, and I've also driven the A6 and the Passat, and I don't see the "differences" you're seeing. I can understand why you love your Audi, it's a great car, but if I can get identical performance from a fully equipped all wheel drive Passat, and nobody can give me the facts on the differences, then I think I've done a good job with my research. By the way, IF there are differences, then that might explain why Consumer Reports named the Passat "Best Sedan", and said the Audi was "not recommended" for reliability reasons.I'm going to research that and find out what's behind the results.
  • smwls8smwls8 Member Posts: 103
    A co-worker was showing me his 2000 A6 2.7(non-quattro) when I observed the top panel trim piece of the driver's door interior was detached and barely hanging on. This is a low mile (10K) almost new car, so I asked the guy why he had not had it repaired under warranty. He claims when he called the local Audi store(I think Champion Porsche/Audi in Pompano Beach, FL) he was told he would NOT be provided a loaner car for the repair. What? I could not believe what I was hearing. Free Loaners are just one benefit of buying a high-line car. Can someone please verify or refute the co-worker? I thought the A6 was a stunning car inside and out, and would put the A6 Quattro 6-speed on my short list when my current lease expires.
    AoA's loaner car policy is that it doesn't have a loaner car policy. It's up to each individual dealer. My dealer's policy is that if you buy the car from them, they will provide an Audi loaner. Some do, some don't, some provide non-Audi rentals, etc. FWI, when I had a '92 Legend, the dealer who eventually serviced it told me they had the same policy. I.e., Acura had no corporate policy, just like AoA. I understand MB is ditto, though I haven't experienced it first hand. When I had my Lexus, the dealer switched from Lexus loaners to smelly rental loaners. So, there's a lot of variance. If you want a loaner, make it a condition of sale and have it written into the contract.
  • ebrodskyebrodsky Member Posts: 7
    I'm 25,000 miles into my 39 month lease on a 2000 2.7T 6M. I will probably need to replace my tires before I hit 65,000 miles when I turn in the vehicle (I bought 20k miles per year). It does NOT have the sport package. Any advice on tires and cost?
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    I've been very happy with my 2001 A6 2.7T - in fact very, very happy. (Cashmere Grey, Melange, Bose, Cold Weather, Premium and Preferred packages, 6 speed). I have 7400 miles on it now and no complaints. What started me looking for a new car last fall was the Volvo S80 T6. I considered the Lincoln LS and other cars in this class. (I used the Car and Driver May 2000 article - Closing In On The Best $40K Sedan - as a guide.) I even considered the Acura 3.2 - which I believe to be a very good alternative to the A6 for those not able or willing to part with the extra $$$. Today I had an opportunity to do an actual side-by-side comparison with an acquaintance's BMW 530. Brand new (<600 miles), sport package (17" wheels), etc. We parked the cars next to each other after work, "kicked the tires," and took them for a spin. I don't know how the other guy really felt afterwards about his decision - he certainly has a nice car - but there's no doubt in my mind that I made the right choice.
    Audi dealers must vary so widely it has to be a big issue for AoA. My dealer always offers me a loaner car -- almost always a new Audi A6 or A4 and once in a while an S4 -- wheeeee.

Also, every Saturday its customer appreciation day, free donughts, a cook out (Summer) and carwashes -- no charge (I always tip the person who washes the car $10.00 so it isn't really free).

My dealer would always get an "exceeds expectations" as far as I'm concerned.

On the issue of Subjectivity. . .

This month's (September) issue of Motor Trend had an article about how much of the "rating" of cars was subjective. Now I do read Automobile, Car and Driver, Car, European Car, Motor Trend and Road and Track virtually every month and have subscriptions at any one time to at least three of these magazines and I do not necessarily consider Motor Trend to be THE authority on anything. Perhaps my choice, if limited to one, would be Car and Driver, but that's not important now.

The spirit of the article titled "The Objective is to be Subjective" is that automotive testing must be fair and impartial but that these characteristics are not the same as objectivity." The assertion that one car that has measurable characteristics that are higher or lower does not mean "more desirable." The difference between cars, although certainly able to be reduced to statistics, does not mean that any car that has a set of specifications or characteristics or performance statistics that is "better" than another automatically makes it worth more or have a higher value or the opposite.

There are cars that can, for example, out accelerate a Porsche model XYZ, yet few would chose, cost no object, the challenger. It often seems that the battle between some of these cars that have similar specifications and performance is brought down to "which one costs less." Most of us do place some value on cost. Generally speaking Audi's cost less than BMW's for example. Or better said a BMW @ $50,000+ is a 530 and for the same money you can have an Audi A6 4.2 with one option package. One has a 6 cyc and one an 8. One is two wheel drive, one is all wheel drive, etc. Yet, despite the facts, people still buy 530's. Facts alone do not explain this. If statistics ruled at this price point, there would be far fewer 530's sold. I am not against 530's -- on dry pavement I actually like them, but for thousands less an Audi A6 2.7T quattro sport is very hard to pass up, even harder to pass than the afforementioned 4.2, but people pass them both up every day. Based on this line of thinking, VW Passat's with 4Motion should "kill" BMW 530s in the marketplace. BMW 530's rarely compete with VW Passat's -- there are no statistical reasons, no objective reasons that can be cited to explain this.

Only subjective differences -- and, if you believe Kevin Smith from Motor Trend -- "unbiased subjectivity" really justifies why one car that accelerates from 0 - 60 in 6.5 seconds is "spirited" and the next one also at 6.5 seconds has a "sluggish" feel.

Buy the VW Passat if price is your #1 reason for "judging" your cars. Buy an Audi if you place other "non-monetary" values higher. The Audi feels better to many [most?] of us, no matter what the statistics say.

And, ask yourself the following question: If the VW and the Audi were identical in price (and, for the sake of this question, priced at the Audi level) which one would you buy? Then, answer the question again, if both the VW Passat and the Audi were the same [VW] price which would you buy?

I always answer Audi. Oops, my subjectivity is showing.
    Value is my number one reason for considering the Passat vs. the Audi, so why should I remove price from the comparison? My subjective feeling is that their performance is very close and that's why I think the Passat is a smart man's Audi. Instead of removing the price, why don't you ask yourself which one you'd choose if you removed the brand and kept the pricetags on. I think you're buying the Madison Avenue advertising image hype.
    I'm convinced that the two most significant subjective attributes of any auto being reviewed are the advertising dollars the manufacturer spends with the magazine and the reviewer's need to stand out by sensationalizing some aspect that they seize upon, often with sadly little in-depth understanding of context.

I haven't taken Motor Trend seriously in over 35 years. It's always been rumored that their Car of The Year Award was for sale, and I've seen little in their selection to rebut this conjecture. The only magazine that still has any credibility for me is C&D, though I don't think it's what it used to be. All auto magazines seem to be afflicted with Corporate Culture bottom-line-itis that has degraded their product. Car enthusiasts who made a career of writing for their magazine once staffed these mags. I assume they were adequately compensated and motivated, or they wouldn't have stayed there. Some still remain, but more and more I get a flavor of articles and reviews being written by people who aren't necessarily enthusiasts, don't seem to have enough experience to offer context and who learned in journalism 101 that if you don't really understand what your writing about, you can take an aspect of the topic sensationalize it, or rewrite the manufacturer's technical releases, and you've got an article. Unfortunately readers pick this up and take it for gospel, like the Passat and A6 being identical, or even more absurdly, the TT and New Beetle because the writer of the article lacks in-depth understanding of the vehicles, or even the topic, and isn't going to spend the time finding out.

I feel sympathetically towards Richard's quest to make a "smart" choice because I did the same thing with my last auto, a Lexus ES300. I read all the reviews, and the comparo's, where it won. I studied all the spec's and judged it to be easily the best value in the segment. Conversely, the 2.7T I drive now is too expensive and of questionable reliability. What was I thinking? Well, I was never happy with ES300 from the first day that I drove it to the last. My first drive in a 2.7T was instant smiles. I had to wait 10 long, long months before I could get my hands on one for myself, and 7 months later; I'm still smiling. Lesson learned: buy the car, not the price.

Cars are iconographic. To a large extent, we aren't buying transportation; we're buying an idealized image of ourselves. I'll assume Richard's motivation is positive, and not just a desire to put someone down because they represent some kind of authority figure with which he's angry. In a very real sense, Richard is buying being a "smart man" and I think that's as valid as any other reason to buy a car. I don't need to agree with it, and I don't need to prove him wrong.

However, I think he's mistaken concerning the typical motivation for buying an A6, or any other Audi. AoA's advertising is minute. Most people don't know what an Audi is. Many people are attracted to it BECAUSE it's not a BMW, or MB and because it doesn't draw that kind of attention. In fact, debadging is a very popular mod. So keep the pricetags and the content, and yes, PLEASE remove the brand, and I'd love it all the more.
    I too appreciate that value for the price paid is your primary reason for buying [a Passat]. I appreciate the characterization of Passat as a smart person's Audi.

I do ask the question then again based on your post -- if the Passat and the Audi [A6 in this case] were the same price, which one would you buy. I want to be careful not to assume something, but since your post said value was a very important reason [perhaps #1] for your decision, does that mean the Audi would get your dollars if both cars had the same price tag?

If you are looking for further clarification of MHO it is that the VW is a higher value proposition.

I still will vote with my dollars for the Audi, however.
  • blehrlichblehrlich Member Posts: 92
    The FEEL of a vehicle is extremely important. When comparing the A6 2.8 and the Passat (will the new Passat have the new 3.0 engine that the A6 3.0 gets?), the VW simply feels "cheaper" than the Audi. The Audi's 268 lbs. of additional weight, 2+ inches of wheelbase (resulting in more rear seat legroom), and 2+ inches of width all result in a "different" ride quality. If you like it better, than it's worth more, if you don't than it isn't.
    These additional lbs./inches will result in better wet/winter traction and stability.

It is, BTW
    If the Audi was the same price as the Passat, I'd consider it a good value, and I'd have to give careful consideration to which one I would buy. I'd would try to get objective reasons why one is better than the other, other than the badge and the free maintainance. For some reason the reliability seems to favor the Passat, at least according to Consumer Reports. You can tell me that CR isn't qualified to say that, just like you said Edmunds isn't qualified to say the Audi and Passat are twins, but the CR info is based on customer feedback. You could argue that the Audi customers are more sensitive to defects than Passat owners, but you'd have to research the demographic of the brand and what their expectations for a new vehicle are. The best information I have says that they are comparable vehicles, and the Passat is thousands less, which tranlates to a better value.
    I don't know if the Passat will have the 3.0 engine that the A6 will have, but it is slated to get a new 8 cyl. 4.0L 27HP engine next spring.

Check out www.vwvortex.com

Have you actually driven both cars? I don't know how anyone could say the 2001.5 or 2002 Passat feels cheap relative to the A6. The additional pounds and inches on the Audi don't translate into better ride and handling when the wheelbase and suspension is the same.
  • fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    For someone who wants to purchase a Passat you sure are spending a lot of time on the Audi board, bjbird2.

I suspect that owning the Passat, given your opinion about it's value will help you feel "smarter",while owning an A6, given it's qualities, will help you feel "good".

Personally I don't have to feel smarter to feel better.
    I haven't said that I've decided to purchase a Passat. I'm shopping, and narrowed my list down to the A6 and the Passaat, and now I'm trying to find out why the Audi should be thousands of $$ more, and so far I'm not convinced that there is enough of a difference to justify the price spread.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    I drove the New Passat when I got my A4. Yes, it rides very nice and it's a great car. But the Audis are just better, IMO. They've got better warranties (although the 2002 VW's will fix this, but it was a big factor 6 months ago when I got my car). Audis have free maintenance for 4/50, which I figured was worth about $750-1,000 over the 4 year period. Then there's the intangibles. I just like the Audi interiors better. You cannot get an in-dash CD player for the Passat. And most importantly, you cannot get 4Motion with a 5 speed tranny. So I went with the A4 instead, and I only paid $28k for a loaded A4 (sans sports package). A Passat with 4Motion would have actually cost me more than my A4.

You need to prioritize what is important to you in your new car. Figure out what you must have, what you would like to have, and what you can do without. It sounds to me like you've already decided on the Passat, which is fine. If you don't think the A6 is worth the extra $, don't spend it. And I suspect that if you don't think the A6 is worth it now, you won't ever think it's worth it. Just get whatever makes you happy.

And I believe that the Audis are every bit as reliable as VWs, if not more so. CR is not the end-all, be-all of car reliability rankings. VW consistently falls below average in the JD Power initial quality rankings. Audi is not at the top of the list, but it's above VW.
    If your final two choices are indeed a Passat and an A6 and they were the same price and you STILL would have to consider your choice, I would assume that you also think the Passat is in some way better, since the value proposition would be eliminated.

With no offense intended, I know of no one who would buy the VW Passat over the Audi A6 if they were the same price. You are a first, which probably means you have real concerns that the the Audi is perhaps not as good as the VW.

This should make your decision even easier -- i.e., it seems that you have already mentally chosen the VW (if indeed you would hesitate to buy the Audi if the two cars under consideration were the same price).

Your ultimate satisfaction with your choice is, I believe, more important than how smart you feel, how smart someone else thinks you are or virtually any other consideration. If you will be more satisfied with the VW -- no matter what the criteria -- then that is the correct choice for you. Virtually everything that separates the VW and the Audi falls under the umbrella of "how it feels." Some of the people think the VW feels "cheaper" or perhaps "not as tightly screwed together." Perhaps the torsional rigidity of the Audi is higher, perhaps not -- it would appear that the postings, as subjective as they are, have indicated thus. I suspect, just like you, that even if you told us that the VW was more rigid that those of us who HAVE driven both the Passat and the Audi (virtually back to back) would still remain unconvinced. The Audi to me feels tighter as if it is more rigid.

The debate goes on -- for you at least -- and I do not find fault with your wanting the car that will "satisfy" you. No matter which one you buy you are getting a good car. If you would feel dumb for buying an Audi, don't do it. Speaking for myself, I don't think you would be dumber OR smarter for buying the Audi. Based on my paradigm, my biases, my preferences, I am just "happier" in an Audi than I would be in a VW. Your paradigms are just that -- yours.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Timcar said:

"Both the Passat and A4 are designated as the B Platform, whereas the A6 is built on the larger C Platform (Currently C5) which it shares with the upcoming Passat W8."

Can't say as I agree with you here. The upcoming Passat W8 is the same as the current Passat, which was released halfway through the 2001 model year. There's little outward difference between the 2001 and 2001.5 Passats. As far as I know, there were no changes to track width or wheelbase. The body structure was strenghtened and the engine compartment enlarged so as to allow it hold the W8 engine. The W8 model with have more goodies inside and the 4Motion (Torsen) AWD system. But other than options, there's no significant difference between the W8 Passat and the other Passats currently being sold in the US.

So if you are saying that the Audi A6 is on the same platform as the W8 Passat, then you are saying it is on the same platform as all the current Passats (whether 1.8T, V6, or W8). Which is pretty much what I was trying to say.

As others have pointed out, there are differences between A6 and Passat, including wheelbase, track width, components, suspension tuning, etc. But the basic structure underneath both cars is simliar.

Jared
    Jared, here's a complete list of Audi platforms from Audi AG. The W8 does ride on a DIFFERENT larger platform than other Passats, the same one used for the A6. I'd forgotten about this until I got a recent issue of Auto Week, noticed the car looked bigger and longer. I discounted it until I looked up this table again, and apparently, it is bigger and longer. The same photo's are on Auto Week's website, see what you think.

Audi Chassis Platforms

A0 Platform
    FWD:
    Audi A2 (2000-Current)

(Relatives: VW Polo, Seat Ibiza & Cordoba, Skoda Fabia)

A Platform
    FWD:
    Audi 50 (A01 typ 86) [1975-1978]
    Audi A3 (A4 typ 8L) [1996-Current]
    Audi TT Coupe (A4 typ 8N) [1998-Current]
    Audi TT Roadster (A4 typ 8N) [1999-Current]

AWD:
    Audi A3 (A4 typ 8L) [1996-Current]
    Audi TT Coupe (A4 typ 8N) [1998-Current]
    Audi TT Roadster (A4 typ 8N) [1999-Current]
    Audi S3 (A4 typ 8L) [1999-Current)

(Relatives: VW Golf, Jetta/Bora, Golf Van, Seat Leon, Skoda Octavia)

B Platform
    FWD:
    Audi 80 (B1 typ 82/33) [1973-1976]
    Audi 80 (B1 typ 82/33) [1977-1978]
    Audi 80 (B2 typ 81) [1979-1984]
    Audi Coupe (B2 typ 81) [1981-1984]
    Audi 80 (B2 typ 81) [1985-1987]
    Audi 90 (B2 typ 81) [1985-1987]
    Audi Coupe (B2 typ 85) [1985-1988]
    Audi 80 (B3 typ 89/8A) [1987-1992]
    Audi 90 (B3 typ 89/8A) [1987-1992]
    Audi Coupe (B3 typ 8B) [1989-1996]
    Audi Cabrio (B4 typ 8G) [1991-2000]
    Audi S2 (B3 typ 8B) [1993-1996]
    Audi 80 (B4 typ 8C) [1992-1995]
    Audi A4 (B5 typ 8D) [1995-2001]
    Audi A4 (B6) [2002-Future]

AWD:
    Audi Quattro (B2 typ 85) [1981-1991]
    Audi 80 Quattro (B2 typ 81) [1983-1984]
    Audi Sport Quattro (B2 typ 85) [1984-1987]
    Audi 80 Quattro (B2 typ 81) [1985-1987]
    Audi 90 Quattro (B2 typ 81) [1985-1987]
    Audi Coupe Quattro (B2 typ 85) [1985-1988]
    Audi 80 Quattro (B3 typ 89/8A) [1987-1992]
    Audi 90 Quattro (B3 typ 89/8A) [1987-1992]
    Audi Coupe Quattro (B3 typ 8B) [1988-1996]
    Audi S2 Quattro (B3 typ 8B) [1992-1996]
    Audi 80 Quattro (B4 typ 8C) [1992-1995]
    Audi RS2 (B4 typ 8C) [1994-1996]
    Audi A4 Quattro (B5 typ 8D) [1995-2000]
    Audi S4 Quattro (B5 typ 8D) [1998-2000]
    Audi RS4 Quattro (B5 typ 8D) [2001]
    Audi A4 (B6) [2002-Future]

(Relatives: VW Passat, Sharan, Skoda Montreux)

C Platform
    FWD:
    Audi 100 (C1) [1969-1976]
    Audi 100S Coupe [1969-1976]
    Audi 100 (C2 typ 43) [1976-1982]
    Audi 200 (C2 typ 43) [1980-1984]
    Audi 100 (C3 typ 44) [1983-1988]
    Audi 200 (C3 typ 44) [1985-1988]
    Audi 100 (C3 typ 44) [1988-1991]
    Audi 200 (C3 typ 44) [1988-1991]
    Audi 100 (C4 typ 4A) [1992-1994]
    Audi A6 (C4 typ 4A) [1995-1997]
    Audi A6 (C5 typ 4B) [1998-Current]

AWD:
    Audi 100 Quattro (C3 typ 44) [1985-1988]
    Audi 200 Quattro (C3 typ 44) [1985-1988]
    Audi 100 Quattro (C3 typ 44) [1988-1990]
    Audi 200 Quattro (C3 typ 44) [1988-1991]
    Audi 100 Quattro (C4 typ 4A) [1992-1994]
    Audi S4 Quattro (C4 typ 4A) [1992-1994]
    Audi A6 Quattro (C4 typ 4A) [1995-1997]
    Audi S6 Quattro (C4 typ 4A) [1995-1997]
    Audi A6 Quattro (C5 typ 4B) [1998-Current]
    Audi Allroad Quattro (C5 typ 4B?) [2001-Current]

(Relatives: VW Passat W8, Colorado-SUV)

D Platform
    FWD:
    Audi A8 (D2 typ 4D) [1994-1998]
    Audi A8 (D2 typ 4D) [1998-Current]

AWD:
    Audi V8 (D11 typ 44/4C) [1989-1994]
    Audi V8L (D11 typ 4C) [1990-1994]
    Audi A8 Quattro (D2 typ 4D) [1994-1998]
    Audi A8 Quattro (D2 typ 4D) [1998-Current]
    Audi S8 Quattro (D2 typ 4D) [1997-Current]

(Relatives: VW D1, Bentley MSB, Lamborghini V8)

E Platform
    Audi A8 W12 LWB (Future)

(Relatives: VW D1 V10 TDI, D1 W12, Bentley Azure, Continental Coupe, Red Label, Lamborghini V12 - Diablo II, Bugatti W16 Veyron)
    The Passats that are currently "in stock" @ VW dealerships are 2001.5's, correct? If the answer is yes, then now I have a "Huh?"

"There's little outward difference between the 2001 and 2001.5 Passats," is not my impression. While I might not be able to tell the difference between some of the earlier model year's of Passats (year over year) -- the 2001.5 Passat looks a whole bunch different to me, different front end, different tail lights -- body parts, while similar are clearly (to my eye) different for the 2001.5 VW. I thought the C&D article (a "short take") said that there were very few body panels carried over into the 2001.5 Passat -- which was the "prerequisite" move prior to the 2002 Passats (which I interpreted to mean would look more like a 2001.5 than earlier models). Like it or not (and I do like the looks of it) the 2001.5 VW Passat is distinctly different looking than it's "parents." But, it is from the same family I agree.

On the B platform , C platform stuff, will someone clarify the dimensional differences that have been presented.

IMO the size of the cars, wheelbase-wise is from shortest to longest (in the Audi/VW family):

A3/Golf/TT/New Beetle, Jetta, A4, Passat [ersatz A5] A6, A8 (I know this is not an all-inclusive list). So, my impression was/is that the Passat was a somewhat larger A4 (which is also why I find the Passat is more often compared to the A4 both on this BB and by my friends and co-workers).

Thanks for the clarification.
    So the current, today, Passat IS not the same size as the A6, which is what "we" thought all along.

And the Passat W8 will be the "same wheelbase" as the current A6 is what I took away from the list.

Thanks for the information timcar.

Mark
    This website will tell you everything you want to know about the W8, including pictures, and also information on some of the new Audis.

www.vwvortex.com
    Perhaps I have been assuming too much. Are you looking at purchasing or leasing either a 2002 Audi A6 3.0 versus a 2002 VW New Passat W8? Is this the dilemma you have been pondering and discussing with us on this BB?

Or, have you been looking at a 2001.5 V6 4Motion Passat versus a 2001 Audi A6 2.8 quattro?

Or something else in the VW/Audi family entirely? Such as a 2002 A6 2.7T vs a 2002 Passat W8 or something that would be closer in horsepower for example (250 for the Audi and 270 for the Passat W8 as I recall).

Just curious.
    For the link to VWVortex with the link to VW o A.
    The current Passat rides on a platform with a wheelbase of 106.4", track 59'6". A6 rides on one with a platform of 108.7" wheelbase and 60.6" track. So, it looks like the W8 will have a track a couple inches longer. With that W8 engine, it should be pretty potent, but since VW AG wants to differentiate the VW and Audi products based on sportiness, it probably won't be quite as sporty as some of the Audi sport package variants.
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    SMWLS8

I deal with Champion all the time, as a matter of fact I travel 40 minutes just to deal with them, and have never had anything bad to say. They have recently increased the frequency that they provide loaners (A4's via Enterprise) to me and have always been willing to drive me where I needed to be and/or have a shuttle system for local customers. I'm not getting S4's or A6's, but I have always been offered a car whenever I needed to leave the car overnight. Two years ago this was a different story and loaners were not something I saw much of, but that has all changed.

BTW- Mercedes loaner program, while part of their service plan, is ultimately at the dealer's discretion. Some dealers loan like for like, others (like mine) have rental agencies within the dealership. I'm always stuck with smelly OldsmoBuicks. I like the people at my Audi dealer a lot more than my Mercedes dealer.

VW vs. Audi:
    As a VW to Audi graduate, I do agree they are related, but I think there is more to an Audi. Some if it is measurable, in options, features and materials, but some is as everyone says, just in the way it feels. To ask for a definition is like asking why I like Chocolate Chip Ice Cream more than Cookies and Cream, and why I think Ben and Jerry's is better than ACME brand offered at 1/4 of the price. I think it is.

Having said that, there are some features on the new Passat that I wish were on my Audi. Rotate the mirror control to the 6 o'clock position and the side mirrors fold in. VW used to have the best wiper delay system I've used. Flip the wipers on then off, then back on when you want them to swipe again and it remembered the time between on-off-on. I don't know if Audi ever had this (Mark?) and I don't know why VW stopped using it.

If your trying to justify the new Passat, don't, just buy it, it's a great car offered at a reasonable price. The better question regarding price is why do you like it over, say a V6 Accord. Honda is arguably more reliable than the VW or Audi (yes, my wife had one so I can speak to it's lack of need for maintenance). While 4motion is a great feature, is it something you really need? Or what about a V6 Camry? Whatever reason you suggest the VW over any of these is the same reason we all say we like the A6 over the Passat. You can list the physical attributes/features side by side, but at the end of the day, some of them can't be put on a list with a dollar sign next to them.

Call it snob appeal, foolishness, stupidity, marketing, whatever you want, sometimes (if we're lucky enough to have the means) it is just a question of what you like more, and what you are comparing it to (BMW, MB, etc) and therefore is a more reasonable choice. I personally love the fact that no one really knows what I'm driving sometimes, and love to hear peoples reaction to the car. I made this decision based on what I wanted, not what I needed, and much to my wife's dismay at the time, didn't really care to look for something more "reasonable". I didn't need a reason to buy it or to look for better deal, I had to have it. Now that's not saying I'm an idiot and just payed whatever they wanted, nor to say I didn't look around. The car (Oh I hate to use a cliche) spoke to me, as I said, I had to have it.

You are doing a great job in researching and trying to determine what the appeal and differences are, but if you really have to look that hard, buy the VW, save your money, and have it for later when something else really turns you on.

Good luck.
    I'm keeping my options open at this time and getting all the facts. Thanks to everyone on this post for the information and mostly un-biased opinions provided. I may just drive my Infinity
    J-30 (subjectivly, a great car) through the winter and check out the W8 in the spring. Then we can start this friendly jousting all over again. Whatever I get, I'm sure it will be in the VW/Audi family.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    You really can't go wrong with either one. Just pick the one you like the best.
    Talked to AoA and they said they would try to help. They are contacting the dealer to see if the 'Good Will' option can be pursued. The dealer is working on the car at this point and has given me a quote of around $650 plus tax that includes fixing the tie rods, putting in new mud guards, and giving me an extra master key. I believe the tie rod work is going to cost me around $450 plus tax. AoA called to say that they have left a message with the dealer and that they were waiting to hear from the dealer. I talked to the dealer prior to this and he mentioned that the car should be done in a couple of days. Will keep you posted. Am also getting a complete check up done. I have sort of given them a free hand to fix anything that might be wrong since I do not want to be bothered by trivial stuff every now and then. They would, of course, have to consult me before doing anything, though.

Thanks for your input.... Will let you know what AoA offers.
    I contacted the seller of the car who is an auto dealer and told him about the problems with the tie rods and how the car would not pass state inspection and look at what he says:
    "Every day you take the car to a different mechanic and every day you have a
    new problem? That car does not need tie rods or rotors. Maybe a set of pads? If you want to get taken advantage of by an a
    Audi dealer that is your problem not ours".

Interesting, isn't it? They seem not to accept anything that anyone says for obvious reasons...
    The A6 you bought was from an Auto dealer, not an Audi dealer? Or, are you saying the Audi dealer procured the car for their inventory, then sold it to you? I suspect as I am trying to piece this together that you bought an Audi, with less than the # of miles used in the factory warranty, but with more than the time elapsed on the then current warranty. And, the dealer that sold the car to YOU, not to some other entity is NOT an Audi dealer -- so there would be no "certified used Audi" program to fall back on.

Well, mkn, with "hat in hand" and a "mea culpa" on my lips, I would still pursue some "good will" or at least partial assistance from AoA. But, frankly, I now tend to doubt that you will get much relief. And, boy does it pain me to make this prediction.

I obviously don't know the facts, I also don't know the "opportunity cost" of this transaction and the total amount of money you have spent so far and will, very soon, have to spend (I think you said around $600).

This much hassle would be OK with me if I acquired the car for a substantial "under book" price (perhaps 15% - 20% under). Then, I could "mentally" and financially say, "so what if I have to put a couple thousand dollars in an other wise fine car, since I got it for much less money than 'retail book price'."

Conversely, the worry factor, value of my time (and I'm not suggesting my time is worth more or less than yours) and other financial factors and concerns about reliability would make me wonder if a lease on a brand new A4 (2002 model) wouldn't have actually cost less? Perhaps even the lease on a new 2001 A6 would -- for the peace of mind, warranty, maintenance, road side assistance, etc, been immaterially different.

I would offer that buying from a dealer, generally speaking, may cost more -- on paper -- but actually cost less when all these factors are added together.

I am "frightened" for you, because you never know what is lurking that could detain you or be a safety concern. I again encourage you to have the entire car checked from "head to toe," and replace or repair ANYTHING that could be a safety issue for sure and a comfort or drivability issue almost for sure.
    No, not an Audi dealer. I am waiting to hear from the Audi dealer after he does a thorough check-up. Called AoA and they said that they are still waiting to hear from the dealer. Why do you think that the "good will" option may not work? Thanks again for your time...
    for what it's worth, as I bought my Audi used (Audi Assured) and have had a number of "issues" recently, I have repeatedly seen the words "our sell" on my paper work. I have assumed that this helps my dealer recoup costs associated with work and services (loaners) that they have provided for me and my car.

I agree with Mark, in that there may be less reluctance as some of the dealers "goodwill" must normally be based on the fact that the dealer that services the car was able to make some profit in the sale and or resale of the car, and that in order for the car to be Audi Assured it would have been thoroughly inspected prior to the dealer deciding to sell it off their lot. If the car was a lease turn-in, the dealer is under no obligation to re-sell the car, AoA (assuming that's the lessor) is responsible for the car at lease end.

In speaking with my dealer, they rarely buy a car at the lease end unless it's highly sought after, or in such remarkable shape that they know it will be easy to warranty and sell.
    I can't remeber where I originally saw it, so forgive me if it was here, but there are a couple of cool functions that aren't in the owners manual of the 2000 Bose Concert stereo system. If you hold the station 5 pre-set button and turn the power on, you'll see 55555555 displayed. This is a 4 channel graphic equalizer the first four number are front speakers, lows to highs and the next four are rear speakers, lows to highs. You can adjust these with the volume knob and Pscan moves you to the next band. Makes a difference if you listen closely.