Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    Audi warranty was 3/50 prior to '01 model year, now 4/50.

'02 appearance revisions aren't significant. Expect an entirely new model for model year '04.
    You've got to look under the 4/19 date. Doesn't seem to be a seperate link for that web page.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    My NEW CROSS DRILLED Audi OEM rotors finally came to the dealer on September 19th.

The installation date is September 25th.

I have been told I will get the new rotors and new front pads installed at that time -- all paid for, of course by AoA. Due to the attack, there had been some delay -- I had expected the rotors to be installed on September 12th. We all know the terrible circumstances that happened -- under the circumstances my purring rotos seemed rather insignificant and I am now pleased that the new ones are at the dealership and I have an appointment.

I was wondering, at 15,000 miles should I "suggest" or request new rear pads or anything? I have no reason to suspect the rear brakes, it is just a question.

Anyway, I have been monitoring the board, but have not had anything to report or information to share that has not been well covered by many of you fine Audi fans and owners.

I shall report as soon as I have had the new rotors installed. My only concern is that the dealer seemed somewhat disappointed that the rotors were regular Audi rotors that had been cross drilled, rather than after market rotors as we had thought (or hoped).

That's all for now -- I'm off to Cincinnati's Oktoberfest for another fine German product. Liquid bread.

Mark
  • morphiemorphie Member Posts: 95
    I had new pads (4) installed on our A6 at about 30,000 miles. There were two noticeable differences: first, less brake dust, especially at the front; second, and more significantly, noticeably less retarding force with the same effort. The feel was also different. As much as I dislike cleaning dust off of wheels, I prefer better braking "feel".

The only element I would be concerned with is the installation of a different vendor's pads on the front, as opposed to the originals on the rear. While not a safety issue, I wonder what the effect will be upon braking sensation.

vty

Michael
    I have been reading the posts for the past almost two weeks now and have had little to add, inasmuch as my new brake rotors have not been put on, I did not want to make comments one way or another -- I am still pleased with my Audi, my Audi dealer and the overall experience of the A6 4.2. And, again I say, I will certainly buy more Audis in the future. Based on what I have read, the 2002 A6 2.7T should be that extra bit more "attractive" in that it will look more like a 2001 4.2. But that is not why I have decided to take a moment to make a reaction -- or response to nickjc comments wherein he says "I am just having a difficult time pulling the trigger on the purchase due to recent events and their effect on the economy."

My reaction is "pull the trigger, please."

My business is IT consulting, and we have been hammered in 2001 by a soft economy -- September 11th has only worsened the situation -- United Airlines was a client -- they terminated us, not for performance reasons mind you, for -- unfortunately -- obvious reasons, due to the attack on America.

Now, my company and my wallet are hurt -- twice in one year. Yet, as I watched our President deliver a speech I didn't think he had in him and listen to Rudy's plea to his fellow New Yorker's, I have decided that A way, not the only way, but A way to defeat economic uncertainty is to keep on doing whatever you would do "as if it didn't happen." Now I do not think you should buy an A6 4.2 if you don't want one or if it is beyond your budget -- not at all. But holding off purchasing something (because of a terrorist attack) will, if we all act that way, hurt the economy.

Way back in the 70's when I was in college I took a course about a Sociologist named C Wright Mills -- who wrote the Sociological Imagniation -- net net -- your behavior is representative of many. The compounding of behavior is what makes things move forward -- or not.

No matter your political bent, it is likely that all of Alan Greenspan's cuts, plus all of our great government's "stimulus" packages aren't a even a tiny bit as powerful as the "Consumer" -- and that means consumers in American, Canada, Mexico, Germany, Brazil, Japan, etc etc etc -- we can turn things around just by doing our jobs as consumers -- buy things.

My wife and I listened to the Radio Speech of the Mayor of New York on Friday -- and although we felt it would be more economical to cook and eat at home -- well, we went out to dinner. Then, Saturday night, amidst some cautionary tales on the media, we went to Cincinnati's Oktoberfest, a big crowd in a small area, and dropped more money.

If we don't buy those new Audi's and do the other things we would normally do, we won't be able to afford new Audi's any more.

The global economy is led by America and Europe -- spend some money, turn this thing around.

If you like, want and could afford the 4.2 before Sept 11, do us all a favor and buy it.

End of soapbox.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Drove a 2002 this afternoon. It was a crystal blue metallic with Quattro and all options except Nav. This fit and finish were awesome as well as the interior appointments. (I could see no changes or improvements from 2000 or 2001.). It started with getting into the car: what no leather smell or "new-car smell"...hummm. Well, when I made a right turn out of the parking lot, I heard a 5 second low pitched grinding noise, and thought I had the parking brake on or something; I didn't. The salesperson made like she didn't know what I was talking about. My wife, sitting in the back, heard the same thing I did. The engine was quiet, but idled hard like an 80's 5000s. The power was good, not great, but was more than adequate. The premium Bose radio was about a "B", as was spirited cornering. The a/c was about a C+. After about a 20 min. ride, I'd give it an all around B-, and all in all was disappointed, IMHO. Please note between 1983 and 1998, I've had three Audis and consider myself an Audiphile, for what it's worth.
    I concur, fully, with Mark's sentiments. We have both a corporate and consumer driven economy; if the purchase made sense prior to 9/11, do not change your plans.

As to the 3.0 comments: I have no experience with the grinding noise. However, the engine idle sounds irregular. Audi's have had, especially over the last several years, among the most refined V6's. The 3.0 has balance shafts. Is it possible that your sample was not properly prepped?

My A6's (two), had air conditioning that was quite satisfactory. The only difficulty we ever experienced was when we, early in our ownership days, would leave the sun roof shade open on warm, sunny days.

As to the "Bose"; I concur. It is adequate; Bose products are not high end audio. However, if one wishes to spend significant $'s, after market upgrades are available.
    Thanks for the feedback on the 3.0. More than adequate is certainly more than could be said for the 2.8. But grinding noises don't sound too good. I've had no problem with the air in my 2.7T, except that it appears to shut down when the engine is really loaded, I.e, 90mph+, long steep hills @ speed. My car did, and 6 months later still does have a very pleasant leather smell. Hmmm . . . ? My 2.7T's Bose is so-so at best. The Bose system in the '92 Legend I had was the best stock Audio system I've experienced in a car. Sweet and rich. My understanding is that Bose only supplies the speakers, amps and engineering, and that head unit is made Panasonic. I've never been favorably impressed by anything made by Panasonic, and perhaps that's the root of the problem.
  • jkendalljkendall Member Posts: 30
    Hey! I'm willing to do my part!! Ralph says my Amulettrott 2.7T is in the 'port' (didn't specify
    which!) awaiting pricing. It's aging along with my gray hair! So Eager!!

jk
  • nickjcnickjc Member Posts: 37
    Along with the rest of the world, my hesitation might be somewhat reactionary/hysterical, but legitimate nevertheless. Believe you me, there is nothing I would rather do than purchase the 4.2. As a matter of fact, my "newest" argument to my wife was just what MarkinCincinati (whose Bengals beat my Ravens) pontificates in his post.

However, losing a great deal of money in the market (relatively speaking) has admittedly caused some concern, that's all. And I do not wish to be mistaken--I do not take Mark's comments as criticisms, and I, too, hope we as a nation are not frightened into recession. So much for my two cents...somebody please convince me, with facts/personal experiences, to buy/lease the 4.2, as my guy just called me to advise 2 more vehicles had hit their lot, and are going to be let go for invoice + $250.!!
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    In all Audis, I believe, shuts off under heavy engine loads to give you better performance. Usually it would be undetectable, but if you're on a sustained grade, you would notice.
  • gs4rx3gs4rx3 Member Posts: 25
    I'm hoping someone can answer this question - my service guy at the dealership could not.

I have recently noticed an occasional 2 consecutive "beeps" in a row that recur every 6 -8 seconds from the speaker that is between the front and rear passenger doors on the driver's side (at the top of the pillar - above the airbag). The way I seem to be able to shut it off is to open and shut the driver's door, or to put the car in park and then back into drive. It has occurred while in drive and while in park. It has happened 3 times in the last month and I can't figure out why. Are those speakers on the B pillar for the navigation system? The beeps don't happen when the navigation system is being used, so they don't seem to be related. What else are the speakers used for? In advance, thanks for your help.
  • blehrlichblehrlich Member Posts: 92
    To put on the winter tires. I can tell because the air is changing and the Patriots are losing. There are various winter tire available on Tirerack.com in the 255/40 17 size. Does anyone have any experience with any particular model? Igo to the mountains, so extra traction is something I'm willing to pay for.
    Thanks.
    I know this is supposed to be about Audi's and not the economy, but I just looked at the following web address: www.bigcharts.com -- the DOW went up today a whopping 368 points, not wiping out its previous losses mind you, but let's face it, we are poised for a turnaround in this economy, this country -- and it will be America and Europe that lead this thing.

It is so painful to have taken enough college economics to understand the "circular flow of income." That is, to actually watch people hold on to a dollar today that yesterday they would not have "worried" about. You know of course when we hold on to that dollar what can happen -- someone gets laid off. Then, when that person gets laid off he/she tells friends and neighbors and they get cautious and they hold onto a dollar and this great economic machine begins to grind to a halt. We have been watching it here in Ohio for over 11 months in a "true" manufacturing and IT recession. Not to belabor the point, we call this the IT Depression of 2001.

But, this too shall pass -- damn terrorists have great timing, we were so close to a turnaround -- well from my point of view, we are still close to a turnaround, maybe it has been postponed by a couple of months.

So I do not have any further reasons to encourage you to buy that A6 4.2 -- other than to say again, you will love this car, and you ARE getting a bargain.

Your paper losses in the market have been somewhat recovered today -- as my broker says, buy and hold.

Things go down up down up down etc -- I'm willing to bet that we're "just about due" for a pretty good uptick -- that will stick!
    I don't know how anyone can convince you to buy/lease a 4.2 with facts and personal experiences. You've either driven the car and want it, or driven it and don't want it, or haven't driven it yet. If the later situation, I suggest you start booking some test drives ASAP. Otherwise, what can anyone tell you to make you want something you don't want? Either you want it, or you don't. BTW, $250 over invoice is so good as to be virtually incredible. Is this for real?
    Regarding winter tires: I have used the original Blizzak's and the Michelin Arctic Alpin; both were excellent. I especially liked the Michelin's for their combination of ice, moderate snow and handling characteristics. Check with TireRack for proper size.

About that $250.00 over invoice. I, too, am dubious. However, if you want the vehicle, that is a sensational price.
    39 months $599/month -- 3000 up front -- in Cincinnati dealer pays 1500 of 3000 if prev audi owner and audi financial customer first payment no charge.

list on car I saw with this deal 54,000+

This really is a good deal.

The 1500 can be rolled into lease which rasies payment a little bit.

end of report
  • allartallart Member Posts: 17
    I know this is an exteremely selfish reason, but aparently AoA is not releasing the 2002 models until most 2001's are gone. My 2002 4.2 has been waiting in the Boston port forever (over a month...) wating for the "oldies" to go...

(Are the 2001 4.2 still that abundant?!?)
    I've also seen the ads for the 4.2 at $599.00/month with $3K down. I believe the mileage allotment is 15K. I omitted from my earlier posts regarding my indecision the issue of to lease vs. purchase in my mind. I own my small potatoes business, and could lease the vehicle relatively painlessly. I own my Acura, which I think would get me around $22K.

My idea is to take the moey from the sale of the Acura and plop it into a money market to use toward the purchase of the single family home my wife so desires, and to lease the Audi either through the business, or personally, and then lease it back to the firm at a small profit (thereby making a couple of extra dollars and "avoiding" payroll taxes.

And you are right timcar, as I have driven the vehicle, love it, and will make the decision regardless of input from others. I guess I am simply looking for further irrational convincing...BTW, it is an incredible deal. My understanding from my sales guy is that the dealer inherited these vehicles (3) from another dealer, and being 2001s, they are willing to let them go for invoice plus "a couple hundred dollars," which I expect to be $250. I am supposed to be getting the invoices for these vehicles faxed to my office today.
  • dsumberadsumbera Member Posts: 8
    I am not familiar with '00 models, but when I picked up my '01 2.7T I was told that the "speaker" vents at the very top of the "B" pillar were part of the alarm system (interior motion sensors). Would hope that the salesman was not playing games with me! Doubt he was, too straight forward and professional. I have a button on the door sill by the bottom of the "B" pillar to turn the motion sensor off. May be the same with yours?
  • realkurtrealkurt Member Posts: 5
    The fact that some raving psychotic who has completely mis-interpreted his religion chose to attack my country will not change my mind, or my buying habits.

I'm still getting my 2.7t at the end of the month, although not the '02 I wanted. (Can't wait that long)Believe it or not, Valley Imports in Fargo, ND has an '01 equipped the way I want in the color I want, at approximately $4300 off sticker.

I'll let you know how the ride home is...

Kurt
    You are so right to continue living your life -- I wish the broadcast and cable news media would spend their considerable engergy informing people not just of the bad news, but of the "way they could help the economy" (by buying or continuing to spend just like before 9/11).

I am watching this board as a microcosm of our total economy and it seems that buying decisions are being postponed. I visited my Audi dealer today (to drop my 4.2 off for my new rotors) -- and they said Saturday before last you could fire a cannon off in the lot and have a better chance hitting a salesperson than a customer, but they said this most recent Saturday the customers were "almost" back to normal -- but they suggested it was that it was because the inventory was at such low prices. When I saw that A6 4.2 for effectively 38 payments of about $630 a month with no money down -- I cringed, my payments are hundreds more for essentialy the same car.

No I am not whining -- I have had my car for 10 months on a 30 month lease, and life will go on. I liked getting the car early that I ordered. Although the one on the showroom floor was identical to mine except it did not have the sport package -- so in effect I could lease the car I almost want today for a couple hundred a month less for 9 months longer. Which to me means I am still pleased with what I got and how much I am paying.

But, if I was a first time Audi buyer and looking at several options from BMW, Volvo, Lexus, etc.,well -- an A6 4.2 with Navigation, premium, phone, extra airbags, CD changer -- etc. for this much money -- I mean it puts a whole new class of automobile within reach.

Too bad I can't dump out of this one -- they have a fully loaded silver/silver S8 on the showroom floor, with an incredible deal on it too. Not now -- I'll go for the 2003 A6 2.9T, 4.2 or the S4 or S6 saloon if one becomes available.

Anyone hear about a 2.9T A6 version? At this point it just seems to be an unsubstantiated rumour.

Save the economy spend money just like you would have before 9/11.
    I've had to lease a car for my business for 14 years. My accountant says it's the only way to go. Haven't tried anything as creative as you envision, think my accountant might flinch. Have always leased them under my own name. I've found that most credit companies while happy to lend money for inventory or other capital expenses are reluctant do so for business auto leases and/or want higher interest than is available to me personally. Perhaps you have access to better sources for credit for your business, as mine doesn't need to borrow to operate. I like the idea of taking the cash from the Legend and putting it somewhere where it can be preserved and gain interest. If you're lucky, you might even be able to make more on it than the interest on your lease.

$250 is wonderful. If you like the specific car, I'd jump on it.
    My guy just called me: $47,450.00 It'll probably go pretty quick, eh? Perhaps someone more versed in the leasing experience can estimate the lease payments--can it be done with simply the cost of the vehicle? i'd rather not put any money down. Thanks.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Call your salesman and get the MSRP, the cap cost (sales price), residual (as a %), and money factor and term of the lease. I can help you out.
    My salesman told me that the 2002's were not being released from their delivery point, unless they were ordered for a customer. That was my situation. I ordered the A6 almost two months ago; it arrived, at the dealer, one week ago.

Regarding all the debate and hand wringing over a purchase of a vehicle: either buy the car and enjoy it or, in the alternative, get a Chevy Impala (a good value) and rejoice in your frugality. No offense, but we can only beat this dead horse so long. Collectively, we have far more serious problems to contend with.
    What model did you order? I know that 3.0's are being released, but I haven't heard that about other models...
    I ordered my wife's A6 Avant (3.0). As to other models, I have no idea. When we pick it up, later this week, I will inquire.
  • gs4rx3gs4rx3 Member Posts: 25
    That's what I originally thought it might be, so I pressed the motion sensor button when the beeps occurred and it did not solve the problem. Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'm experiencing a malfunction with the motion alarm. Any other thoughts out there as to what might cause 2 short beeps out of the speakers at the top of the B pillar?
    I think I read somewhere that the little speakers on the B pillar are for the hands-free telephone. I assume you don't have the phone. If so, my guess is someone has the car programmed to think it does have a phone, and hence the speakers are live. Bet the two beeps mean something in relationship to the phone, like phone inoperative, or maybe the opposite.
    My CPA has me lease my car in my name, then pick a number called "auto allowance" -- and it is important that you are in an equity position in the company -- so he says. Then, pick a percentage of a payment that makes sense from a business/personal usage standpoint.

If you have another car in your household this is a bit easier. For example, lease payment $800. Auto allowance 70% not to exceed $600. Company writes a check for $560 to Audi Financial you write a check to Audi Financial for $240.00.

Clean, neat -- oh yes and you pay for the gas, plates, insurance and maintenance.
  • zyruszyrus Member Posts: 2
  • zyruszyrus Member Posts: 2
    To all Audi owners - What is your experience with: (1) how long it takes to get into a dealer for service; and (2) does your dealer have the parts you need in stock. I am having an issue with a dealer who takes 4 to 5 weeks for an appointment and who doesn't seem to have basic parts in stock, which drags out repair time. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Zyrus
    39 months @ 15,000 $1,051/mo. Which is about $6,000+ off sticker. MSRP @ $78,000.

Nothing down -- no sec dep first mo payments made by AoA.
  • tubeytubey Member Posts: 39
    My dealer usually requires about two weeks, particularly if reserving a loaner, but if it's an emergency (like broken window guides)I can usually get it in within a day. Once, when my coolant temp sensor malfunctioned on a Sunday they told me to bring it in Monday and fixed it right away.

I called this past Monday for an appointment for tire rotation, balancing and alignment check prior to a long trip and the first day they could get me in was 10/12; later than that if I needed a loaner, which I don't.

As for parts: no experience. The few things that I've needed were obviously in stock because I was never "back ordered" or told that we would have to wait for parts.

My dealer is University in Seattle.
    My experience with scheduling service has been good: usually a week to ten days for non emergencies; if it is something safety related, within 24 hours. The wait is a bit longer if a loaner is required.

Parts have generally been readily available, unless there is a major recall; then, they are scarce.
  • trejos28trejos28 Member Posts: 93
    Okay, I trust my dealer, but I'm still wondering. The two lights around the rear license plate, the ones that come when the fog lights are activated...well I noticed that the right one did not illuminate, only the left.

I took it in (ok, I should have check here first) and the dealer told me that it wasn't supposed to come on.

I assume this is the case, but I just wanted to hear it from fellow A6 owners. And if not, why have it at all?

Thanks.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    The point of having only one rear fog light is to distinguish it from having your brake lights on
  • max27tmax27t Member Posts: 35
    Mark,

You are very generous with your time and knowledge. If you would not mind explaining your understanding in greater detail I would be very appreciative.

I had planned to buy my next car outright, but after reading this board for the last few months I'm considering leasing. This morning you posted some lease suggestions. Maybe I can follow the path you've taken, but I'd like to understand a few points a little better.

The company is on the hook for a fixed monthly cost, based on a percentage of the monthly lease payment. The individual is on the hook for the remaining percentage of the monthly lease payment, plus all of the variable costs - gas, tires, maintenance, insurance, etc.

Do you set the company percentage based on a strict accounting of business vs personal miles, or does this percentage take into account the variable costs the individual picks up? For instance, if you put on 600 business miles and 400 personal miles each month, would you set the percentage at 60%, or bump it up to 70% to defray the variable costs?

You also state it is important that you are in an equity position in the company. The reason is not apparent to me. If we wanted to have the same policy for owners and employees, we should not use your method?

Also, why is it easier if you have another car in the household? Is it because you can put most of your personal miles on the second car?

From a tax standpoint, none of the monthly lease payment paid by the company is considered to be compensation, right? Do you need to record all business miles to support the 70/30 split (or a more appropriate ratio)?

We are not a big company and I put on a lot more miles than the other owners. So, if I decide I want to go in this direction I'll need to convince myself and then the others. Using the example of another small business will probably be helpful.

Thanks very much and I hope this brake fix does it for you.
  • trejos28trejos28 Member Posts: 93
    Your company -- and this presumes you have an equity position in the company -- is NOT on the hook for anything. You personally lease the car.

I am not a CPA nor a lawyer -- I have a CPA on staff and my wife is a lawyer. All I know is that owners are treated differently than employees. Hence when my CPA firm (and my internal employee concurred) made the suggestion to have the company pick up a portion of my auto lease (and they suggested a maximum of 80% of the lease payment and they also suggested capping the allowance at $600), I followed their advice. The "partners" in my CPA firm handle their automobiles in just this way.

The check from the company and the personal check are both made out to Audi financial, rather than a company check paid to me. You are always responsible if audited to have what are called contemporaneous logs to back up your percentage claim. Hence, if you drive 15,000 miles a year and can demonstrate that 12,000 were for business you can figure out a percentage. Moreover, if you do not have a second car in the household, it is very difficult to get the percentage of use "up there."

I keep a log book in my car, and I have been audited once and I was glad to have had the book.

BTW the new Audi option TELEMATICS offers the option of keeping your driving log in a computer that is built into the car.

When I had an "auto" allowance, I technically had to receive a 1099 at year end -- more red tape, more hassels, etc -- so the payments do not go to you (unless you're looking for income for whatever reason).

My business is small, too. Depending on demand for consulting services we have from 25 - 60 employees. I used to supply auto allowances to the managers -- one year my CPA firm told me that I would have to 1099 the people -- which meant they had to do more work from a tax perspective. I asked the employees if they wanted 1099's they said no -- so I gave the employees a $6000 raise and called it auto allowance -- they then do what they feel is appropriate to legally reduce their tax liabilities. If you have multiple owners and you drive more, you should have a higher percentage than the other owners (in an ideal world).

My assumption is that you may want an A6 4.2 and that your co owners may want something that would be either more or less than this. Pick a number that is defensible if you are audited. If the number is 80% not to exceed $600 -- so be it. If you lease a $600 car, you will have $480 a month paid by the company. If you lease a $1000/mo car your company will pay $600.

Please check with your tax professional -- my suggestion a CPA who is a lawyer or a lawyer who has a CPA. You will get the best advice from them, not me.

I used Grant Thornton to start out this process, then when the partner left the firm to form his own firm I went with him. I have been pleased with the suggestions made and so have my employees. We all want to reduce taxes, legally. Your tax professional probably knows why owners in Corporations are "different" than employees. I'll give you one last example, at year end I have to take my bonus by 12/31 -- yet my employees can have their bonuses reported but not paid until January for example. I do not know all the what's and why's -- I just know that there are tax consequences that effect me differently.

I hope this is of some small help.

Finally, my CPA says never ever ever buy a car. And, buying a car in a small company of course means that it must go on the balance sheet -- and since cars rapidly lose value, their worth as an asset is dubious.

Buy what appreciates, rent what depreciates and expense the rent payments. This is the gist of my accountant's message.

So, I lease my cars and I bougth the building my company is housed in. And, my building is company A and my services business is company B and B pays the rent to A.

And, on the brake issue -- two days not quite 100 miles and the brakes get better every time
    I apply them. The real test will be when I get over 200 miles on them. They sure look cool with the holes drilled in them, though -- I must be a closet "motor head."
  • dsumberadsumbera Member Posts: 8
    Have had my A-6 in shop twice in Houston since I picked it up in June. Fit & finish items: LED behind dash vent and rear ash tray lid (think the kids had a hand in the latter). Once to have checked out and order parts, second to replace. Both times apt. was one week out with loaner cars readily available. Also had oil sensor warning light on first trip in (trash in sensor), which was replaced from stock.
  • max27tmax27t Member Posts: 35
    Mark,

Thank you, once again, for being so generous. I did not want to use you as an unpaid accountant/tax advisor, but rather as an example I could present to our accounting firm. Since you have blazed a trail, I wanted to make sure our accountants would consider it.

I am aware of restrictions on "highly-paid" owners/officers concerning retirement accounts, etc. It is not obvious to me why each employee could not have a capped allowance just like an owner; I'll see if I can find out why. BTW, we have our fiscal year end Jan 31 so we can take bonuses on either side of Jan 1, depending on tax implications.

<< I hope this is of some small help>>
    No, this is of GREAT help. Thank you.

<<Finally, my CPA says never ever ever buy a car.>>
    I know some people who buy a 4 or 5 year old car and keep it for another 6+ years. They think this is the least expensive way to drive a car they like. Of course, you don't get the latest technology this way.

I happened to be going past an Audi dealer mid-morning today and decided to stop in. The salesman gave me a 2002 brochure that he says just came in yesterday. I was also able to see and sit in a 2002 3.0, one of two on the lot. No other 2002s on the lot. Disappointed to see the Cashmere Gray is not available for 2002, but I'm sure I can find another color.

Thanks so much,
    Greg
    We each have our passions, our values, etc. Speaking only for one person (well, OK 2, I'll include my wife) -- I have no concept of any satisfaction, joy, passion or reward (other than low cost) that I can even imagine could come from "buying" a five year old car and keeping it 6 years. Now, a classic car -- the first or second year of the T-bird or something like that, well maybe. But seriously, it never even occured to me to consider buying a old car, even if it was "an oldie but goodie."

I believe new technology makes cars safter, cleaner and "more fun" (better performing). One of my dearest friends used to say he'd never pay more than $1,500 for a car -- he has a '72 Buick LeSabre. He probably has a bigger bank account than I. You can't take it with you so I've heard. And, while we're into platitudes, "life's too short to drive boring cars" (or to drink cheap beer).

My mom always said "to each his (or her) own!"

Mark
  • wbreauxwbreaux Member Posts: 33
    This is listed as an option in the Premium package for 2002. What is this; I presume it may be a warning if the car is backing up and something is close to the rear bumper? Was it available in prior years?
    Has been around in the us for at least 2 previous years -- this will be year three. On A8's you can get front parktronic too. In Europe front is avail on A6's -- who know's why some options are American only.

I have it on my 2001 A6 4.2 -- I thought it was kinda hokey at first, but I wanted the sat nav and they came as a set -- now, especially in tight underground, dark parking garages, it is quite handy. I don't think I would reject a car without it, but I certainly would prefer having it over not.

It has "saved my bumper" at least twice in 10 months.
    As noted earlier in this forum, Audi is currently offering a lease special on the 4.2 for 39 mos., $3099 down, $599/month, 15k mileage. I believe the interest rate is 2.9% (or money factor, is it?). However, my dealer has discounted the 4.2 to $47,450--does this change my position? In other words, can I negotiate a better deal than the lease special given the current interest rate and discounted cost? Thanks. I am dying to get this vehicle.