Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• bandit22bandit22 Posts: 5
    Has anyone heard this. I caught part of it while driving and seemed to me : 300 something for A6 39 month lease until may31st. Anybody have any details?
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    But if it's a national program you can call your local dealer for details. You really have to listen carefully for the fast-talking guy at the end of the radio spot, or look for a print ad.
  • nszabonszabo Posts: 19
    Hi, I have big white line scratches on my 2001 Audi 2.8 Q on the hood.What can get these fairly big scratches off? any suggestions to a wax/polish?
  • a627tgold1a627tgold1 Posts: 1
    Well I have had my 2.7T for almost a year now and i am very happy with the car....the only down side of my whoel experience is the after sales service!! That is the only thing that would stop me from buying again...I am now on my 2nd A6 and the service is getting worse...I have been told many times to look at a merc as the service is excellent???? anyone out there agree???
  • ajaymeajayme Posts: 74
    a627tgold1, My A6 is almost 2 years old now and the service has been excellent. We also have a Mere and the service there sucks. It is strictly dealer dependant. There are 2 Audio dealers in town here, is there another one you can try?
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,071
    Audi service is, as was said, dealer specific. Certainly Audi has guidelines and "rules" but the individual dealership is the driver. This is, hopefully, improving.

I have found that the dealerships that are "owner/operated" are way better. I have also found mega dealerships where Audi is there only "foreign" brand, don't get it -- either in Sales or Service. And, of course, these are generalizations -- I have been to five Audi dealerships in the United States. The ones that sell Porsches also (at the same location) seem to have a "Customer Oriented Culture" too.

Here are a few observations:

1. If they paint the winshield with "$4,000 off sticker" or "$499 a month and its yours" or some other come on, the dealership "doesn't get it" -- if they paint anything on the car, in fact, they don't get it.

2. If the salespeople do not ask "what can I do to get you to buy today?" -- the dealership probably "gets it."

3. If the salesrep will NEVER let you drive a car without going along, the dealership doesn't get it.

4. If, after the sale, you return -- for virtually any reason -- and the sales rep goes out of his/her way to chat with you, they get it.

5. Christmas or Holiday cards -- nice touch, dealership gets it.

6. Birthday cards for the Car -- to restate "thanks for buying" 1 or 2 or whatever years ago -- well, they get it.

7. Customer appreciation days: free carwashes on Saturday, free hamburgs and dogs once a month during the summer, pastries and coffe (the good stuff) when you drop your car off for service, even if you do not wait. They get it.

8. Golf outings, dinner parties -- our dealer had 5 customer couples, the Bank VP (floorplan) one sales rep and the service manager for dinner at his house and said "you are my best customers, my best banker and my best sales and service people, thank you." No attempt was made to "sell anything" but we did get the "advance look" at a new concept (at the time) called the allroad quattro -- but again not a sales pitch. This dealer understands relationships -- this dealer (who isn't perfect) understands that cars break, people make mistakes but if you have built a good relationship, you can fix the mistakes.

It sounds like some dealers are business at a more superficial level than buyers of high line imported cars expect.

We are fortunate, indeed, in Cincinnati to have two excellent Audi dealers.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I just posted this in the Audi A4 discussion, and I wanted to ask you folks the same question:

Would you be interested in having your own space in our Owners Club section?

For those who might not know, the Owners Club is a dedicated folder where you can have as many discussions as you would like. Take a look at some of them here to get an idea of the possibilities. You will see that the various clubs have separate discussions for things like introducing yourselves, posting pictures, maintenance issues and whatever other related topics the groups may find of interest.

This discussion will remain here on the Sedans board, but will be linked to the Owners Club folder as well, making it accessible from either place. We can also link the other Audi discussions on this board and any other TH board to the Owners Club.

You can "subscribe" to the entire owners folder, which makes reading all the posts in the various discussions very easy to do. You will also eventually have the opportunity to have regularly scheduled owners' chats if you are interested in doing so.

Let me know if you have any questions. If this sounds like a good idea, just give me a couple of positive posts and I'll get the ball rolling.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • tubeytubey Posts: 39
    Pat, I would certainly be in favor of it.

Thanks,
    Gary
    I would like to know how these Audi dealers - other than from whom you bought the car deal with customers. I understand that Audi maint. is valid throughout the country, but do they give us a hard time/shoddy work? Eg: If you moved to another state/City and take it to the local Audi dealer for maint/warranty?
    Anyone have such experiences?
    Would be a great idea, and am sure would benefit the Audi crowd.
  • automophileautomophile Posts: 780
    It is $399/ month for 39 months on an A6 2.8 2WD. Very tempting, except for the $3500 "cap reduction" payment required at the beginning. I guess if one could get them to reduce the price of the car by $3500, the car could be leased with nothing down - as all leases should be.
    If your dealer has the philosphy of SALES THROUGH SERVICE, you will get good service no matter where you bought your car.

As has been noted in previous postings, every dealer is different. A friend of mine bought his car here in Ohio and has since moved to Texas -- he feels he is getting good service at his "adopted" dealership and will probably buy his next Audi there.

Conversely, one of my co workers bought his Audi at the exact same place I bought mine and is unhappy with the dealer's service dept. The same people give me great service and he claims that his service, while friendly, has been fraught with taking the car back time and again for the same issues. I have had to return once or twice for services that were incorrectly performed -- but I have found the overall experience meets and sometimes exceeds my expectations.

Funny, the guy that has issues with the local dealership (on his 1998 A6 2.8q) had a Buick LeSabre previously -- and he claimed that American Car dealerships are "rip offs." Maybe it is personal.

In any case, you can see that the experiences even within the same dealership can vary. I would not think that dealer B would treat you less professionally because you bought your car from dealer A -- most dealers, in my experience, want to "win you over."
  • idkillarmyidkillarmy Posts: 7
    I am looking to purchase my first Audi in the upcoming month but I am having trouble on deciding which to get, A 1998 A8 with 50-60K miles or an 1999 A6 with 30-40k miles. The A8 is bigger more luxiourus, etc, etc but the A6 is newer and has less miles. Would anyone that has had one or both of these give me hand on which to get?
    Anyone had first hand experience with a 1998 lexus LS400? It has the Nav, which the two audi's im looking a dont. Any suggestions on the best buy here? The LS would have about 50-60k miles on it
  • noshonosho Posts: 119
    I would like half a dozen reply on oil consumption. I have a 2.7T which begins burning oil at 3000 miles and is a quart low by 4000. The service department tells me this is "normal".

How are other 2.7T's doing oil wise?

Thanks....
  • timcartimcar Posts: 363
    My 2.7T has about 6,500 miles. It has always burned little or no oil. This seems unusual. Most seem to burn some, or a lot of oil for the first 5K to 10K, based on many posts I've read.
  • nszabonszabo Posts: 19
    Its all up to you the A6 and A8 are very nice cars the A8 is aluminium for lower weight. would recommend quattro the A8 has it, depends on a6 model. when your that close it is up to what suits you best.
  • nyjnyj Posts: 1
    A NIGHTMARE. IT TOOK THEM 2 YEARS TO FIX THE FUEL GAGE. THEY KEPT DENYING THERE WAS A PROBLEM. BLAMED IT ON AMERICAN GASOLINE-YES THATS HARD TO BELIEVE BUT ITS TRUE. FINALLY HAD RECALL LAST YEAR. THE SERVICE IS AWFUL-LIKE THEY'RE DOING YOU A FAVOR BY FIXING YOUR CAR. OH AND FREE MAINTENANCE FOR 36 MONTHS EXCLUDES TIRE ROTATION. THEY CHARGE YOU $12-VERY CLASSY. ONE MORE OF MANY THINGS I CAN TELL YOU-TOOK THEM 6 MONTHS TO GET ME A NEW GLOVE BOX SINCE IT WOULDN'T OPEN. THEY FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT ON THE THIRD TRY. I COULD GO ON AND ON BUT I WILL SPARE YOU.
    I always wondered why Consumer Reports didnt recommend The 1998 A6. Now I know. Has anyone had problems like this with their 99 A6's or their 1997 or 1998 A8's???
  • bertram60bertram60 Posts: 113
    My 98' A6 has actually been relatively trouble free. It's been posted all over this board, but service varies GREATLY between dealers. I purchased my cars through a wonderful Audi/Porsche dealership and they really know what service means. They have made all the difference and even though there have been more problems than I would like to see, each one has been addressed and repaired based on my timetable and none were so severe as to distract me from the joy obtained while driving this car.

A friend had a '97 A8 and other than some problems with warping rotors, the car was pretty trouble free. All of the 4.2 A6's are using the same engine, so Audi must have felt that it was worth keeping.

My '00 A8 has been a gem. I am getting ready to get rid of my A6 next week, and while I'll miss it's cleaner, newer look, you can't beat the performance of the A8. I also needed a little more room as I'm usually taking clients out with me. An A6 4.2 had less space in the rear (lack of bench seat), so it made my choices limited, as I was definitely sticking with Audi.

Having said that, I would be a little concerned with mileage, as these cars, while wonderful to drive, can be expensive to maintain, but not out of line with any competition (MB,BMW). These are not Lexus and Acura's, they do require attention and service, but,IMHO, reward their owners with superior handling and performance.

Good luck
    The MESSAGE was very troubling to read -- and more troubling certainly to have "lived through."

Yet and however, I would still contend that this kind of service (#1) and product (#2) "issues" are #1 dealer specific and #2 stastistically rare (although any experience like this should be unique, but sadly probably is not -- and is certainly not limited to Audi or "European" brands).

You have several choices -- no matter what you should contact Audi Owner Loyalty here in the United States:

Ms. Carol Glynn
    Audi Brand Loyalty Manager
    3800 Hamlin Road
    Auburn Hills, MI 48326

My suggestion is to tone down the delivery but not the content of your message -- Ms. Glynn has been with Audi for many years and this is -- however difficult -- part of her responsibility.

She has been very gracious and instrumental in facilitating "resolution" of issues with the Product.

My other suggestion is to "vote with your dollars."

Finally, my editorial opinion:

Audi has had such a remarkable "comeback" from the near dead (i.e., Unitended Acceleration) that -- while hardly a justification -- dealer quality has become spotty. Unlike Lexus -- which established a dealer network from the ground up -- Audi supported many of its dealers through the dark days after the 60 minutes piece on the Audi 5000. Some of these dealers, IMO, would never pass muster if they were "applying for a NEW franchise."

I will not repeat, at this time, my overall outstanding dealer experiences since 1978 -- but I assure you there ARE professional Audi dealers in the US.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    ....but I'm here to announce the new Audi A6 Owners club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Sedans.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• gekko1gekko1 Posts: 4
    During the course of driving, the temperature hand in my 2001 A6 2.8 fluctuates between the 1/2 and 2/3 marks. I'm wondering if the fluctuation is normal, since most cars I've owned didn't fluctuate, and if it's normal for it to go up to 2/3, since most cars I've owned stayed around 1/2. Any feedback would be helpful.
  • tubeytubey Posts: 39
    It's a coolant temp sensor. My '99's malfunctioned last year and it was a quick fix.
  • gekko1gekko1 Posts: 4
    The dealer's telling me that Audi made some adjustments for the 2001's, and that this temperature fluctuation is normal. I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this also.
  • traderalex1traderalex1 Posts: 39
    So what did Audi do with their option packages, from 1999 to 2000? I have a 2000 A6 Avant. No auto dimming mirrors included with the sunroof package, as compared to the '99 model year. Personally, I don't care about memory seats, or an ability to change station channels on the steering wheel. But the lack of the auto dimming mirrors is annoying. It seems absurd to have a car in this price class without automatic mirrors as standard equipment. Anybody share similar thoughts? I assume this was a marketing strategy to decontent the car, and oblige customers so motivated to spend quite a bit more $$. If you desire automatic mirrors from the 2000 model year onwards, the price equation is now quite a bit different compared to '99. By the time you figure for the premium package, the sunroof package, and the leather, you will end up spending close to $3K more compared to a '99 model that would be very similarly equipped, sans the Xenon lights.
  • timcartimcar Posts: 363
    My '01 2.7T pegs at 1/2 and stays there with about 6700 miles. I find the dealer's explanation very suspect. If it runs sometimes at 1/2 and then sometimes edges up to 2/3, that would concern me. If it bounces between the two while you're driving, I'd think that has to be sensor/gauge related.
  • portedported Posts: 16
    When taking my '99 A6 in for a malfunctioning window (warranty), the dealer told me there was a second recall on the gas gauge, to check the recall. Something about gold-plated connectors corroding, they switched to silver.

Love the car. (Volcano black/melange.) I hope the window is not a forebearer of things to come. First real problem (15K miles.)

Anyone heard this?

Ported
  • amarchanamarchan Posts: 23
    I am in my second Audi ('98 A4, '01 A6 2.7T) and in both the needle stays dead center. Fluctuation can be due to a faulty (or absent) thermostat or the temperature sensor has gone haywire. When it fluctuates, is there any correlation to speed, traffic, etc.? If there is no correlation (e.g. not going up in bumper-to-bumper traffic but changing at steady highway speeds) it is more likely to be a bad sensor.