Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• bertram60bertram60 Posts: 113
    My 98' A6 has actually been relatively trouble free. It's been posted all over this board, but service varies GREATLY between dealers. I purchased my cars through a wonderful Audi/Porsche dealership and they really know what service means. They have made all the difference and even though there have been more problems than I would like to see, each one has been addressed and repaired based on my timetable and none were so severe as to distract me from the joy obtained while driving this car.

A friend had a '97 A8 and other than some problems with warping rotors, the car was pretty trouble free. All of the 4.2 A6's are using the same engine, so Audi must have felt that it was worth keeping.

My '00 A8 has been a gem. I am getting ready to get rid of my A6 next week, and while I'll miss it's cleaner, newer look, you can't beat the performance of the A8. I also needed a little more room as I'm usually taking clients out with me. An A6 4.2 had less space in the rear (lack of bench seat), so it made my choices limited, as I was definitely sticking with Audi.

Having said that, I would be a little concerned with mileage, as these cars, while wonderful to drive, can be expensive to maintain, but not out of line with any competition (MB,BMW). These are not Lexus and Acura's, they do require attention and service, but,IMHO, reward their owners with superior handling and performance.

Good luck
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,068
    The MESSAGE was very troubling to read -- and more troubling certainly to have "lived through."

Yet and however, I would still contend that this kind of service (#1) and product (#2) "issues" are #1 dealer specific and #2 stastistically rare (although any experience like this should be unique, but sadly probably is not -- and is certainly not limited to Audi or "European" brands).

You have several choices -- no matter what you should contact Audi Owner Loyalty here in the United States:

Ms. Carol Glynn
    Audi Brand Loyalty Manager
    3800 Hamlin Road
    Auburn Hills, MI 48326

My suggestion is to tone down the delivery but not the content of your message -- Ms. Glynn has been with Audi for many years and this is -- however difficult -- part of her responsibility.

She has been very gracious and instrumental in facilitating "resolution" of issues with the Product.

My other suggestion is to "vote with your dollars."

Finally, my editorial opinion:

Audi has had such a remarkable "comeback" from the near dead (i.e., Unitended Acceleration) that -- while hardly a justification -- dealer quality has become spotty. Unlike Lexus -- which established a dealer network from the ground up -- Audi supported many of its dealers through the dark days after the 60 minutes piece on the Audi 5000. Some of these dealers, IMO, would never pass muster if they were "applying for a NEW franchise."

I will not repeat, at this time, my overall outstanding dealer experiences since 1978 -- but I assure you there ARE professional Audi dealers in the US.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    ....but I'm here to announce the new Audi A6 Owners club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Sedans.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• gekko1gekko1 Posts: 4
    During the course of driving, the temperature hand in my 2001 A6 2.8 fluctuates between the 1/2 and 2/3 marks. I'm wondering if the fluctuation is normal, since most cars I've owned didn't fluctuate, and if it's normal for it to go up to 2/3, since most cars I've owned stayed around 1/2. Any feedback would be helpful.
  • tubeytubey Posts: 39
    It's a coolant temp sensor. My '99's malfunctioned last year and it was a quick fix.
    The dealer's telling me that Audi made some adjustments for the 2001's, and that this temperature fluctuation is normal. I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this also.
  • traderalex1traderalex1 Posts: 39
    So what did Audi do with their option packages, from 1999 to 2000? I have a 2000 A6 Avant. No auto dimming mirrors included with the sunroof package, as compared to the '99 model year. Personally, I don't care about memory seats, or an ability to change station channels on the steering wheel. But the lack of the auto dimming mirrors is annoying. It seems absurd to have a car in this price class without automatic mirrors as standard equipment. Anybody share similar thoughts? I assume this was a marketing strategy to decontent the car, and oblige customers so motivated to spend quite a bit more $$. If you desire automatic mirrors from the 2000 model year onwards, the price equation is now quite a bit different compared to '99. By the time you figure for the premium package, the sunroof package, and the leather, you will end up spending close to $3K more compared to a '99 model that would be very similarly equipped, sans the Xenon lights.
  • timcartimcar Posts: 363
    My '01 2.7T pegs at 1/2 and stays there with about 6700 miles. I find the dealer's explanation very suspect. If it runs sometimes at 1/2 and then sometimes edges up to 2/3, that would concern me. If it bounces between the two while you're driving, I'd think that has to be sensor/gauge related.
  • portedported Posts: 16
    When taking my '99 A6 in for a malfunctioning window (warranty), the dealer told me there was a second recall on the gas gauge, to check the recall. Something about gold-plated connectors corroding, they switched to silver.

Love the car. (Volcano black/melange.) I hope the window is not a forebearer of things to come. First real problem (15K miles.)

Anyone heard this?

Ported
  • amarchanamarchan Posts: 23
    I am in my second Audi ('98 A4, '01 A6 2.7T) and in both the needle stays dead center. Fluctuation can be due to a faulty (or absent) thermostat or the temperature sensor has gone haywire. When it fluctuates, is there any correlation to speed, traffic, etc.? If there is no correlation (e.g. not going up in bumper-to-bumper traffic but changing at steady highway speeds) it is more likely to be a bad sensor.
    The temperature hand tends to fluctuate more in stop and go traffic. In straight driving it moves some, but doesn't go as high. The service dept at the dealer is telling me the've done a full diagnosis and this is absolutely normal, but I'd like an independent confirmation.
  • radpkradpk Posts: 3
    I have a '99 A6 quattro that has had it's share of problems. I'd say it's been in the shop more than 15 times over the last 26 months. I even looked into invoking the lemon law. Along with the usual gas gauge problem, I've had a host of other mechanical troubles with the car, including the transmission, steering, brakes, leaking oil. I will say, however, the service department has improved dramatically over those months after having gone trough two service managers. The first few times I took the car in I swore I would never buy another Audi. The dealership is only 4 miles away which helps but they don't provide a loaner which is a hassel. Overall, if I had to do over again, I probably would not purchase it. My wife, who mostly drives the car, certainly would not. The one saving grace of the car is it's interior. The classiest around. Puts Jaguar interiors to shame. Just my 2cents worth.
    I hope that Audi has been made aware of your problems -- not just at the dealer level or this town hall message board (yet, both are very important). You must make every attempt to vote with your dollars and inform the Company, Audi of America, of your issues.

If you are so disenfranchised that that is not an option, you of course will vote with your dollars the next time you don't buy an Audi product. But, if you like the Audi brand enough, you will communicate with Audi of America's Carol Glynn who's mission is to help retain Audi owners and "make" them loyal. She is your advocate and will help those who communicate clearly and without a mean spirit.

Audi makes mechanical devices and they aren't perfect -- yet they do want to have "delighted" customers.

This has been my experience over the course of some 24 Audis since 1978.
    I "complained" when my 2001 A6 4.2 w/sport package came in with Pirelli P6000 tires, I had hoped for Dunlop SP9000's. This was late December 2000. I passed through the Cincinnati winter which generally is cold but not often "snowed in." Cincinnati was "designed" for Ultra High Performance All Season Tires, in my opinion. I had always assumed that UHP AS tires were a contradiction of terms. I now hope I am wrong. After 8,000 miles, I have "given up" on my P6000's as the noisiest tire I have ever known -- considering that it's performance, while good, is "just good."

I was all set to push the "add to shopping cart" button for four new SP9000's when I began using the "comparison" shopping feature of www.tirerack.com -- I ended up ordering four Yokohama AVS db (Ultra High Performance All Season 255 x 40 x 17"). They will be installed on Thursday along with brand new brake rotors courtesy of Audi.

As you may recall, I also had a 2000 A6 4.2 (17" wheels, no sport) -- which in 23,000 miles went through three sets of rotors -- warpage.

Although I readily admit to fast driving on the freeways, I rarely have to "challenge" the brakes. These brakes, thy name is vibrate.

OK, so it was a bad year for brake rotors --- 2000 -- I get my new 2001 A6 4.2 w/sport and right away the brakes are better. Then, at 5,000 miles, a hint of vibration, especially in the rain. Now, at 8,000 miles, between the tire roar and the brake shudder -- well, here we go again.

I do not fault Audi AG for the Pirelli Tires -- luck of the draw, I say. Although I would like to be able to specify the tires on a car that I have to wait a minimum of four months to get after placing the order -- but that is another story.

I do not fault Audi AG for having a "warp prone" rotor -- for the first year of production. So, I wrote the dealer a letter informing him that I plan to purchase a new set of brakes from APR (www.goapr.com) after reading in the 2001 Autoweek Buying guide that their 2001 A6 4.2 also had "warped rotors." I determine that if my two A6 4.2's and their A6 4.2 all seem to have the same problems with the brakes that it is not entirely "driver induced" -- if at all.

Indeed, when I speak to the service manager of my Audi Dealer, he says if I purchase the brand new non-Audi rotors (cross drilled), that he will credit me the Audi cost against the aftermarket cost. But, he added, my car was actually produced in late September 2000 (even though it did not get to the US until December) and that since then the rotor part number has changed -- "unofficially" in response to driveability (NOT safety) issues caused by the old [warp prone, my words] rotors.

So, this Thursday, I will have four new Yokohama AVS db tires, and new brakes -- the latter courtesy of Audi.

I will report to this board, the difference in performance, handling and noise of the new shoes and the stopping and shuddering quailities of the new stoppers.

Once again, Audi has done two things: created a problem, crummy tires and less than stellar brakes; and, created a solution, new brakes and new tires (although the tires are "on me" as there is not really any problem with the "old tires" other than the fact that the noisiest snow tires I have ever had would be quieter than the Pirelli P6000's).

I am looking forward to an improvement in performance.

In all fairness to Audi, I also have read several postings lamenting the variety of experiences with tires (and to a certain extent, brakes) of other venerable German brands, such as BMW and Mercedes and, of course VW.

Wish me luck!
  • traderalex1traderalex1 Posts: 39
    About the only issue I may question about my 2000 A6 Avant is the possibility of a brake issue.
    13,000 miles, they begin to squeal as the vehicle begins to roll to a stop from its last few mph of momentum. The pedal seems to travel farther down than most other cars I have driven. Other than that, the brakes do work. Anyone have similar experiences?

From the posts I have read, and what I hear in the street, there may be an issue with a lot of 2.7T's out there, oil burning, etc. I have seen a far number of used ones for sale locally, relatively low mileage, at sharp discounts.

I have heard the windows story, too. In particular, the worst case if from a colleague who resides in the Netherlands. He bought one of the first new generation A6's in '98. Told me that he had a constant electrical problem, in which both rear windows would suddenly open when the car reached cruising speeds. The windows could be closed only by a quick trip to the dealer. Quite annoying in rain storms with beige leather. Multiple attempts, but the Dutch dealer could never fix the problem with finality. Finally, my friend gave up and returned the car half way through his lease.
    I would glady accept a squeaking brake, I will not tolerate a shuddering brake, however. I envy you if all you have is a bit of squeak -- I had the same problem on a1997 A8 and the dealer put some "squeak fixer" or shim in the brake system and it all but cured it -- 97% gone, I'd say.

See my post re -- A6 4.2 rotor warpage. New part number to the rescue!
  • dwpcdwpc Posts: 159
    Based my experience with my last two vehicles (non-Audi), 13,000 miles is not out of the realm of "normal" brake wear, particularly if you do a lot of city driving. Rotor warpage too is now a common ailment of environmentally friendly brakes. Brake disks are now lighter to save weight, and use pad materials that are less resistant to heat. However, the laws of physics haven't changed with regard to friction and heat transfer. This an industry-wide problem.

[7500 miles on my 2.7T; zero problems, just comfort and fun.]
  • breen2breen2 Posts: 1
    I am about to buy a '98 A6 with 50,000 miles. We are hearing about some problems with the car. We want a reliable car that will last at least for 4 years and that won't cost a lot of money to maintain.

Is the A6 reliable? Is there any other car you recommend?????

I would like to get it soon. If you have any advice or warning, Please write!!!
  • cwandersoncwanderson Posts: 1
    I am considering the A6 2.7T. The dealer says the there are NO changes for the 2002 model year. This seems unlikely. So what's new for 2002? Any articles out there on this? Also, what is a good source for aftermarket performance/body trim parts. Thanks!
    This morning, in Cincinnati -- which means I do not know if it is a National Sales Incentive -- I heard that a NEW 2001.5 VW Passat with the 1.8t engine and the "monsoon" sound system was available for a 39 month lease program of $279/month. Out of pocket costs were some number like $1600 -- which includes a $300 refundable sec dep. Of course the first month's payment would be required making your initial check amount about $1,900. Not a bad deal.

I love quattro's, but starting out with 50,000 miles on a 1998 A6 -- unless you get an extended warranty (and a really good one) -- would scare me, and I am fearless (and I am a BIG Audi fan).

Unless you need all wheel drive, I would seriously consider the Passat -- at this lease price point. Of course there may be some good deals on A4's too (but the Passat is closer to the A6 in rear seat leg room).

Just a thought.