Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• traderalex1traderalex1 Posts: 39
    If you go to the Audi germany website (www.audi.de), you can some good ideas as to what will be new for 2002 in North America, as most of our "new to market" features are already on the street in Europe. It looks like they gave the A6 a few cosmetic changes, including slightly reworked lights, and a front air dam that supposedly resembles the double grill look found on the A8. I recall reading, too, that the chasis has been stiffened to improve both drivability and durability. I think you can find some English language links from that site, if you can't figure out the German. The range of engine choices for the A6 over there, are quite amazing. A couple different turbo diesels. And the budget minded driver can actually choose a 1.8 liter gas engine, but I can't imagine how well that will work in a car of this weight. There are also a number of pics of the 2002 A4, which has already been on the streets of Germany for quite a while. I just returned from a trip there, the new A4 is a nice looking car. I really had the impression that it looked just like a smaller A6. The same body, but on a shorter wheelbase.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,069
    Go to http://www.quattroclubusa.org/ and click on the article "New Look for the Audi A6" --

in fact this might work to go to the article directly directly:

http://www.quattroclubusa.org/news/2001/newa6/index2.shtml

There are changes for the 2002 -- and you CAN order a 2002 A6 2.7t NOW. But it will take a few months for it to come in.

Nothing here is meant to disparage the 2001 A6 2.7t. But, if you can wait, I would go for the 2002 based on the write up at the above URL.

• dwpcdwpc Posts: 159
    Consider where we are in the model year. Since the 2002 models will start appearing in September, that Passat is more like a 2001.75 with an appropriate late-in-the-year discount.
    Agree completely with your comments about the mid year Passat dwpc -- but the response was more of an alternative suggestion for/to a used '98 A6 with 50,000+ miles on it versus a new Passat that was apparently at a good lease price.

The press has been quite kind to the NEW Passat -- at least the 3 articles I have read.

I would, as I said, have some concern$ about a used '98 Audi A6 running bare (without any protection package -- the Audi Advantage is gone as of 50k miles).
  • dwpcdwpc Posts: 159
    Have you investigated extended warranties? Some are supposed to be quite good. The A6 is a lot more car than the Passat anyway you look at it. The downside is that '98 was the first model year for the new A6 so there's no sample for true long term performance. Audis genrally seem to hold up well though.
  • socal3socal3 Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a new car and I really like the A6 2.7t. A dealer has two brand new 2000 2.7t on his lot for sale(obviously this dealer is feeling the effects of a slowing economy). Any of you have an opinion on what would be the fair price? Another dealer has offered to sell me any new 2001 A6 for $250 above invoice. Finally, do any of you have an opinion regarding what will be the demand and pricing of the 2002 A6.
  • sandeckisandecki Posts: 29
    I know they are two different animals, but for pretty much same money I am bouncing back and forth.

Audi worries me more(reliability) although I heard also many issues with 3 series Beemers.

I am looking for fun to drive, but something that I might want to keep for longer than warranty period. Space is at some consideration, but not as much.

Also, what is a decent lease payment on a 2.7T(loaded, no sport package) currently with no $s down and 10k/yr?

Thanks For Your Help
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    I used to sell BMW's. I'd take the bimmer every time. Sorry Audinuts.
  • galvanggalvang Posts: 156
    After owning my A6 for 18 months and after three fuel sending unit failures and all the hasles that occured, I dump it. I had no choice but to assert the lemon law and I won.

To my dismay, I received another recall notice for the same issue for the A6. Its funny, through the lemon law proceeding Audi kept saying that the problem was fixed after their last recall. In fact it wasn't. Audi has finally come to terms and admit that they have a current problem. Its too late for me and the A6 was dumped. I am happy I did.

With the lemon law proceeds bought an MDX and I'm happy with it so far. Japanese make a more reliable cars than the Euro's do. Audi needs to get its act together or customers will be dropping out like flys. Like me. Audi is like Ford. Don't you think so.
    Would you rather have an apple or an orange? The comparison between these two vehicles makes that much sense -- the only similarity is they both have four wheels and an engine.

This is not meant to disparage either vehicle -- if you live where there is very little weather, or your only concern is dry pavement and autobahn perfect roads go BMW. If you live where there is weather or low coefficient of friction from time to time, quattro has merit.

Having myself had both BMW's and Audis, I became convinced of the Audi route one November day here in southern Ohio -- when all the roads became imassable due to a snow/ice storm. The BMW was helpless and hapless -- I switched that very weekend to quattro and haven't looked back since -- even tho I still test drive BMW's every time I buy a new car.

Apple or Orange -- you choose.
  • noshonosho Posts: 119
    A6 2.7T6M - Temp is straight up, oil is 225. If
    your temperature moves up significantly and oil
    stays put then it's the temp sender.
    As markcincinnati said - apple or orange. I'll
    give my rational:

Do you often have 2 or 3 passengers - A6
    Do you have snow/ice - A6
    Do you enjoy taking corners at high speeds - BMW
    I have not driven the 330i but I suspect it has
    better off-the-line acceleration - ?

1 & 2 makes it the A6-2.7T for me.
    See www.audiworld.com, there is a write-up there.
    Some high lights:
    Front suspension is aluminum (35% lighter)
    Stiffened chassis
    Thicker front door windows (reduced air noise)

If you're interested in handling, then the 2002.
    I now add to the equation the notion of the Bimmer 3 series with All Wheel Drive -- this makes the comparison a little more realistic. Have you looked at this option?

The 2.7T -- especially with the 6spd -- is fractionally quicker, if I read my "mfg data" correctly. But that too is not a reason to choose one vs the other -- they are close.

It seems to me that the A6 for 2002 and the 5 series for 2002 are body and dimensions more in the same class than the comparison you suggest. The 3 series BMW and the [new] A4 are perhaps more appropriate for comparison. My co worker just test drove a new 530 and a new 2.7T -- he said the Audi was quicker, quieter and (with the sport package on the Audi) handled "no differently."

The BMW, perhaps closer to the limit, probably does handle better due to the fact that it is rear wheel drive and has more neutral weight bias -- the Audi is a little nose heavy. Many people never drive near the limit and probably most people (espeically in urban areas) can't drive near the limit due to traffic congestion. Even in our relatively small city of Cincinnati, it is difficult to drive, shall we say, aggessively -- the exception being that it is possible to drive 10 - 25 miles an hour above the speed limit on the interstate highways that circle and cut through the city.

The BMW / Audi comparison is further complicated by the cost factor. A BMW 530 compared to an Audi 2.7T -- based solely on lease payments or "money" -- finds the Audi several hundred dollars a month less. Indeed it is more money comparable to compare an Audi 4.2 to a BMW 530.

Perhaps you are comparing an Audi A6 body size to a BMW 3 series due to the fact that a 330 can be had for close to the same money as the A6 2.7T, even tho it would appear that Audi markets the A6 to prospective 5 series customers, and vice versa.

Both of the cars you are looking at are good cars -- probably for most of us in this town hall, though, the Audi A6 2.7T is very hard to beat.
  • bandit22bandit22 Posts: 5
    Hello everybody, had the 2.7 in yesterday for change of rotors - warped, and they took care of the latest recall + a tank of gas! Just for the record what tire pressures are we running on for the 2.7t? I have 215x16 and do 36 all around. Is this the consensus?
    My 2001 A6 4.2 @ 8,000 miles is at the dealer as I write this for new rotors (Audi Advantage), the LH (fuel sending unit) campaign (aka no charge of course) and four new 255 x 40 x 17" Yokohama AVS db tires (www.tirerack.com -- my cost of course), and an all wheel alignment (Audi Advantage).

The warped rotors have been replaced by a New Part Number, hopefully indicating a more resiliant rotor compound. If these warp, I will go to www.goapr.com and buy a set of cross drilled rotors etc. -- probably front AND rear.

Will give a full report on the tires and brakes -- or more than one report as performance and drivability changes merit.
  • idkillarmyidkillarmy Posts: 7
    Took a trip from Chapel Hill, NC to Tampa, FL and picked up a 1997 Audi A8 with 54000 miles on it. It is almost impossible for me to describe how much i love this car. I have only had for a day but the 12 hour drive has allowed me to get to know it a little. I need to do some in-depth reading in the manual to figure out how to work everything because it is alot more complex than my Acura TL. One thing Im wondering If I could do to it is get some xenon bulbs put in. Is that possible? I had them on my TL and it is something I would like to have on the A8. The car is in perfect condition and I got it for a great price. Anyone had any bad experiences with the 97 A8?
    Yes you can have Xenon's put in -- open your check book wide, very very wide. It is a lot more than bulbs, believe me.

I too had a 1997 A8 -- didn't have tiptronic. Didn't have too many problems -- power steering column had to be replaced twice (free). Seals on all four wheels replaced, free (smelled awful).

I put an S8 suspension on it, kept it 48,000 miles -- loved the car -- could go all day real fast and make you feel good doing it.

Wish I had an S8 from time to time -- hoping for an S6 (2003 possibly AOA?).

Have a blast.
  • I opened my newspaper this morning and was shocked to find an ad sponsored by all the Audi dealers in the Chicago area. The ad is for a special lease promotion of $499/month lease (39 months)for 2.7Ts. I just leased a similar Audi less than 3 weeks ago for $620/month (which was a good deal at the time).

I stopped by the dealer today and talked to the GM about what he could do for me on the economics. He said he has already had 3 other similar inquiries today from other recent buyers.
    He said he would have to check with Audi's home office to see if they would make any adjustments to my lease. Does anyone else have the same issue? How do you suggest proceeding? Write to the Audi Brand Loyalty Manager, etc.?
  • djdjdjdj Posts: 111
    Rode great, comfortable seats, impressive acceleration, attractive styling, huge trunk.
    I asked the owner if he liked it. He said it was great to drive and disappointing to own.
    Previously, the ABS warning light went on and it took the dealer 8 days of trial and error part replacements to fix it (with no loaner car and he's only get 10K miles now). And when he got it back the dashboard rattled. And that was the second time in the shop.
    That was enough to stop my interest in it.