Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• as I am not an expert on cars.
    I am undecided between two vehicles. I am leasing for three years, so long-term factors not a consideration.
    I can lease the Audi A6 Quattro for $549 a month. This is based on a price of about $36,000 with a residual of 60%. Includes sunroof and leather.

The other car is the Mercedes C240, with MSRP of $33,600, residual of 70%. Monthly payment would be $540. Includes sunroof and cd changer.

All input will be greatly appreciated.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Posts: 635
    I assume that your comparing a 2001 A6 2.8Q with the new C Class, correct? They're both terrific cars, to be sure. In my opinion, though, the C Class is not in the same league as the A6. (I find that in terms of size and features, it's more appropriately compared with the A4.) The A6 has much more in common with the E Class than with the C. I say this based upon size, available power trains, and equipment.

Having said that, in my opinion the A6 wins hands-down. There simply is no more car available for the money. A RWD E320 starts at over $47K, easily $10K more than an A6 2.8 quattro. I'm by no means suggesting that both the C Class and E Class are not fabulous cars, because they're both wonderful. If money is no object, go for them. I spent mine on an A6, though, and it's WONDERFUL. From the gorgeous exterior styling to the sensuous red and white interior lighting to the full instrumentation to the stunning interior appointments, the A6 is absolutely first-rate. I whole-heartedly recommend it.
  • It seems that you are saying that you like it? :)

I am just biding my time 'till I can get a 2.7T. I had several Audis in the past and all were wonderful.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I too am trying to decide between an A6 and a C320. The problem with the C320 is that with the sport package you can only get Black leather with aluminum trim. This is a very unattractive interior. Black leather is ok, but it needs to be combined with wood, not aluminum. I'm really not comparing the A6 4.2 with the C320 because they really don't compare. I'm just trying to decide which one I like the most. The A6 4.2 in Ming Blue over Vanilla is almost to gorgeous to believe. However it is a little more money than the C320 Sport, but I guess it's worth it. The A6 2.7t would be closer in price to the C320, but I didn't like the handling, nor the feel or a turbocharged motor in a sedan. I have a turbocharged car now, so I don't want two of them. Only if the A6 2.8 had enough power.

M
  • Hi all,

I'm down to the details in choosing between a '98 A6 and a '97 528i. Similar mileage and price. The A6 is better equipped including Quattro, CD changer and 10,000 miles on the warranty vs 3000 on the Bimmer.

I have been driving 525s (2) for four years and really like 'em. My heart says Bimmer, my value minded self says Audi... dispite the fact that my mechanic says that Audi parts are even more expensive than what I'm used to.

Any comment out there?

Tom
    Having never owned a BMW or Mercedes, I'm not qualified to talk about what it's like to live with either. I do, however, have a few thoughts that are based upon facts that are available to everyone.

1. You can take this to the bank: BMWs, MBs, and Audis are all GREAT cars; they're not all great in the same ways, but in the end I doubt that many folks would be unhappy with any of them.

2. If interior space is of value to you, both in terms of shoulder room (width) and rear seat room (leg room), the C Class and 3-Series would probably be mistakes; the 5-Series is an improvement, but still doesn't approach the accommodations of the A6, which is downright spacious.

3. If you prefer FWD, you'll never be happy with any C Class or 5-Series. If you prefer RWD, forget any Audi. If you want AWD, an Audi A4 or A6 quattro is an obvious choice. In addition, for WELL OVER 50K you can get an E Class 4-Matic.

4. All 3 manufacturers offer manual transmissions and 5-speed automatics, though not both across their entire lines.

5. If you're price-sensitive, the A6 is a slam-dunk. Don't take my word for it, check it out right here at Edmund's. The M.S.R.P. on a LOADED A6 4.2 (V8) quattro (with everything, including navigation system) is around $55K. Compare with that of an E430 at over $60K. A 540i is right in the middle. Factor in that (in my opinion, at least) the A6 is the most car of the 3, and these numbers take on added significance.

6. When I bought, I was on the other end of the scale. I was looking for a $40K sedan, preferably German-built. I wanted a comfortable back seat area, so the 3 logical choices seemed to be A6, E320, and 528i. (I also checked out the Acura 3.2TL and Volvo S80.) Besides, the A6, E Class, and 5-Series all fall in the middle of their respective lines and as such seem to make up the most logical comparison.

Anyway, after looking carefully at all 3, the decision was easy. Before even considering the huge price advantage, I liked the A6 the best. It's LOADED with little touches that are missing on the others, e.g. FULL instrumentation (including oil temperature gauge and voltmeter), door-mounted "puddle lights", front AND REAR seat heaters, the list goes on. Factor in quattro and price, plus the (in my opinion) most beautiful interior of just about any car, and it was a no-brainer.

I ended up with an A6 2.8 quattro, Tiptronic, leather, moonroof, xenon headlights, steering wheel audio controls, Cold Weather Package (F+R heated seats, expandable ski sack), memory seats & mirrors, auto-dimming mirrors, HomeLink, for an M.S.R.P. of $40,550 including destination. I actually bought the car (brand new, on a special order from the factory) for $36,894 + tax & license.

I've had the car for 4 months and have about 5200 miles on it. I've had NO problems and love the car in every respect.

One last thing...there are many folks here on this forum who find the A6 2.8 to be insufficiently-powered. In the opinion of many, an A6 that isn't either a 2.7T or a 4.2 isn't worth owning. I strongly disagree with that point of view. Sure, if cost was no object I'd rather have one of the more powerful engines, too. For me, though, cost WAS an object. It was either a 2.8 or it wasn't going to be an A6. While the 2.8 will never be mistaken for a rocket, it does just fine in my book. I find it to be more than adequately-powered for all kinds of driving. Anyone for whom the added expense of a 2.7T or 4.2 is a deal-breaker should drive a 2.8 and then decide for themself whether or not it will work for them; it would be a big mistake to eliminate the A6 from contention just because the 2.7T and 4.2 are out of reach.

Hope this helps. Anyone wanting more info on the A6 can feel free to send me an e-mail. In addition, there's a lot to be learned at the A6 forum at http://www.audiworld.com.

- Mike
  • I own a 2.7T, but I agree the 2.8 has it's place.

If you want a luxury car for the luxury, the 2.8 will satisfy you. It is luxurious and has more get-up-and-go than the majority of cars out there.

If you demand that your luxury car be a hotrod also, you need a 2.7T or 4.2. Not everyone needs this.

It's important to remember the A6 is a luxury car first, and a performance car second (even the S4 is this way). So the performance is optional, the luxury isn't.

I heard Audi was going to eliminate the 2.8 non-Quattro A6 in 2001 (in the US). I didn't look to see if that actually was the case. This would raise the base price of a A6 2.8 somewhat, assuming you weren't going to add Quattro anyway.
  • Hi all,

I am thinking of buying my fathers 1998 Audi A6. It has 16k miles on it. A few months back, he had some electrical problems with the car. It took 3 trips for them to figure it out. Now it seems to be working fine.

Anyway, I now have a Explorer which I would be giving up. I am just wondering how the A6 2.8 handles in the snow and the rain?

Also, I thought the trunk was a bit small, i was wondering if most peeps thought it was sufficient for most activities
  • Hi all,

I am thinking of buying my fathers 1998 Audi A6. It has 16k miles on it. A few months back, he had some electrical problems with the car. It took 3 trips for them to figure it out. Now it seems to be working fine.

Anyway, I now have a Explorer which I would be giving up. I am just wondering how the A6 2.8 handles in the snow and the rain?

Also, I thought the trunk was a bit small, i was wondering if most peeps thought it was sufficient for most activities, ie; skiing, long weekend trips etc.

The other thing I was looking for was advice on Extended warranties. the car has 7 months left on the warranty and I can pick up an extended 5/50000 warranty for less then a grand. Is it worth getting?

Any insight would be appreciated!
  • In a moment of stupidity, I lost my fuel tank cap. After backtracking and not finding it, I ran by a Wal-Mart store and purchased one that seems to fit well. I can screw the cap down tightly. The question is, do I need to replace it with a genuine Audi cap? The manual mentions the "definite click" that should be heard when replacing the original cap. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts about this. Thanks.
  • tubeytubey Posts: 39
    Thanks, Steve, for stating it so well. Quite frankly, between this forum and Audiworld I was almost starting to get a complex because I bought a (horrors!!!) 2.8.

And yes, the reason I did buy it was because I wanted a luxury car. Hell, if I wanted a hotrod I would have hung onto my SHO (aka Old Nickel And Dimer).

The 2.8 goes fast enough (particularly at freeway speeds) to get me a ticket in just about any state in the nation. And, based upon all the 2.7T problems I read about on Audiworld, I'm pretty smug SO FAR with only a coolant temp sensor that's failed. And still no squeaks or rattles to complain about.

Indeed, it's a luxury car first. And it fills that role very well. I am, however, dispappointed to read elsewhere that the 2.7T and 4.2 have caused the 2.8 to depreciate abnormally. Good thing I plan to keep it - or at least until the extended warranty runs out in seven years. By that time I'll hopefully be long retired; and, even if it becomes pricey to maintain, it will still be cheaper than a new car.
  • You may be correct about that. But take this to heart:

I keep track (unoffically) of the number of A6's that appear at my company. Because I'm trying to gauge how well the car is selling. Our company has done well over the last two years, so many people are treating themselves to a fancy car.

There were no A6's in Oct '99 when I ordered my A6 (not a factory order), there was one 2.8 when I received my car in late Nov '99. Now, 9 months later, there are 3 new 2.8's. Up until this week, I had seen no new 2.7T's. Finally, I saw one this week.

So even though the 2.7T may get the press and bring people into the dealer, it appears the 2.8 is still selling very well. Perhaps your resale isn't dashed as badly as you thought?

On the other hand, I went to LA (West Hollywood) a couple weeks ago, and 2.7T's were EVERYWHERE. You could barely find a place where you couldn't see at least one.
  • Well folks I'm still looking for the A6 2.8 I mentioned a few weeks ago - w/Tiptronic. I like your reasonings for owning the A6 2.8. I drove it and it seemed plenty fast for me. I also tried out the new C-Class 320. It is a beautiful car but smaller than the A6. I will have to special order my A6 since I want the memory seats, steering controls and Zenon lights. These come with the Premium Package only. Then Leather is a separate item. I have shopped for a good price and the best I can do is $1000 over invoice (Rushnak MB/Porsche/Audi Motors in Pasedena, Ca and Pacific Coast Porsch/Audi/VW in Hermosa Beach). Both say that it will take about 3-4 months for the receipt of the special order. Anyone out there know of a better deal anywhere in CA (No. or So.)!
    We are going for the Ming Blue with the Melange Interior.
    Merwan.
  • Take it. Audi has no holdbacks or incentives, so the dealer really is getting down to their last bit of profit. Delivery time is also unfortunately correct. Dealers have to wait for one of their slots to open, and then Audi takes forever to make the car, then it takes almost a month in transit.

Ask your dealer to try to arrange a dealer-to-dealer transfer of a car matching your description. Auto brokers do this and make a living at it, surely your dealer can do it. (Note I am not recommending you use an auto broker) When I bought my car, my dealer pulled out his order sheet (cars he had already ordered and their scheduled delivery dates), and other nearby dealer's order sheets/stock lists. If he found my car on another dealers order sheet, he would have traded a car to them to get it. As it happened, I bought my car off my dealer's order sheet. I paid close to $3K over invoice.
  • I own a '00'00 A6 2.8 Q. Has anyone heard whether these issues have been solved:

-Windshield - Slight Distortions (I'm waiting for my third replacement)
    -Fuel Gauge - Replaced with new system re: recall. Filled tank the other day and Gas Icon came up and said I was out of fuel, though tank was full
    - Radio - drifting radio station and bass. Any news on when problematic radios are being updated with new ones
  • cotmccotmc Posts: 1,081
    but we still have a regional problem with resale value of Audi's here in Arizona.

I am also a big fan of the A6, even the 2.8 FWD version! That's our '99 model we bought 13 months ago, but we're selling it (or trading it in) due to the unexpected needs of our growing family. The car has been extremely reliable for us. My only gripe is that we averaged only about 21mpg. I'm advertising it below $30K, with leather, CD changer, and convenience package. I'm specifically mentioning it is only 13 months old. But I can't get anyone to take a look at it to see how great it is!! I know the story would be completely different if it was a BMW.
  • Edmund's review of the 2000 Audi A6 4.2 is now available. Here's the direct link: Road Test: 2000 Audi A6 4.2, by Miles Cook. What do you think?

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
  • Thanks for both your words of wisdom, encouragement and advice about the A6 2.8. I will call Diablo Audi and see if Ernst has the car I want. I hear this thing about depreciation and resale value. Yes the MB will have a better resale value after three years but I generally keep my vehicles for 9 - 10 years but usually low mileage. Unless something untowards happens to me or the car this A6 will be with us into our retirement.
    I am tempted to look at the 2.7T but I'm not very happy with the reports on its gas mileage. I have always been wary of Turbos, because you do have to pay through the nose if anything goes wrong. I think the power is OK with the straight laced 2.8, more than we see with our current Mazda 929S (190 ponies)!
    Thanks again for everthing. I will keep you all posted as to how I am doing.
    Merwan Irani
  • Although I can understand shying away from turbos, the 4.2 gets worse gas mileage than the 2.7T (ask the A6 forum on Audiworld), so you aren't doing yourself any favors there getting the 4.2.
  • An earlier poster (either here or at Audiworld, I don't remember) suggested that the skipping radio stations on startup may be related to the A/C compressor drawing power or something. It's gotten cooler here on the east coast and I turned my AC off. Radio has skipped once or twice since then. Still a very intermittent problem. Just thought I'd add this data point.
  • dwpcdwpc Posts: 159
    I too used to avoid turbo's (in my unwise youth, I had a Turbo Corvair that ate cylinder heads!). But, my son commutes 100 mi/day in an '84 M/B 300D Turbo with 320,000 miles on it. And the Audi turbos have 15 year newer echnology...water-cooled bearings, etc. After driving a 2.7T rocket sled I just gotta have one.
  • I'm having a tough time deciding between the A-6 2.8 and the Saab 9-5 SE. Both seem like great cars. The A-6 seems slightly more luxurious, better warranty, and maybe better resale. The Saab appears to have better reliability, a sportier feel, and may be safer. Any thoughts on the Saab versus Audi?
  • I drove 2 80's Audi 5000's to 130K miles each with few problems and the original turbos. The '87 was water cooled.

Just use a little common sense - let the turbos warm up before getting on it, and drive mildly for the last mile or so before stopping to let them cool down. Turbos spin at 100,000 rpm or more - give 'em a break, and they will last as long as the rest of the car. Meanwhile they provide almost a free, huge power increase.
  • Just thought I'd update you all. I am looking for an A6 not a 4.2. Thats why I was concerned about the 2.7T gas mileage in comparison to the A6.
    I also did contact Ernst at Diablo Audi in Concorde. You were right - they do have a 2.8 with almost all my wants but it is a Quattro. I realise it is a great option to have but I don't think I really need it in So. Cal. I understand it is a little slower than the FWD 2.8. Of course the price is higher and Ernst wants 2K over invoice! I'm tempted. I think I will drive a Quattro this week end and see the difference.
    Thanks again for all the help.
    Merwan Irani
  • Read the Car & Driver top 10 from Jan/Feb 2000. Would you get the quattro?? This is a big plus for the Audi. My 2.7T has 11,000 perfect miles under its belt, the build quality and attention to details of the Audi are second to none.
  • Hello all. I am currently 'borrowing' a 1998 A6 2.8 with Quattro and every option except ESP with roughly 16500 miles. The car seems very nice.

My only questions are, what problems have arisen in the first few years of ownership? Also, how can you tell if it has ESP (button?)? Finally, would you suggest getting this for about $34,000 or getting the 3.2TL, I30t, or IS300? E-mail me at Mango15DP@aol.com. Thanks.
  • bollingerbollinger Posts: 207
    So you can be sure it doesn't have it. Didn't get ESP on the US until 2001.
    According to Edmund's, a fully-optioned 1998 A6Q with 16000 miles tops out at $27865.

For another $2000-3000 (over the $34000 for the 1998) you can get a brand new 2001.
  • Mmmm! let me see! Quattro vs front-wheel drive; AUDI has higher resale value, is more luxurious, better build quality, latest technology for turbo power, drive train, suspension & steering (how long can SAAB continue with that 4 cylinder engine?)and German engineering vs General Motors (the most incompetent of all carmakers) influence. Seems like a no-brainer to me!
  • jadbowjadbow Posts: 4
    Does anyone know what the going price is for a 2001 A-6 2.8 in the San Diego area? On this earlier string there was a report of $1000 over invoice up in L.A. I don't think anyone will come down that low in San Diego or at least that is what I'm able to read between the lines.