Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Audi A6

Comments

• Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    question: do you feel that the additional quattro makes the car "drag" on acceleration, as opposed to the 2.7T? Or does the car exhibit sufficient "get up and go" when going, say, 0-60 getting onto the interstate?
  • Options
    mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    I've never driven an A6 2.8 FrontTrak (front wheel drive, non-quattro) so I can't give you any subjective comparisons between its performance vs. that of a 2.8Q. According to Audi's published specifications, 0 - 60 m.p.h. takes .5 sec. longer in the quattro.

A 2.7T (available ONLY in quattro form) will accelerate much more quickly than any 2.8. From 0 - 60 it's a missile with either Tiptronic or the 6-speed manual.

Having said that, I'll tell you that I find the 2.8Q with Tiptronic to accelerate wonderfully. It's not a missile like the 2.7T or 4.2, but it's better than fine. I love it, and have never found it to be under-powered. My recommendation is to test drive a 2.8 and decide for yourself if its power and acceleration are sufficient for you. (Of course, if you're not concerned about the extra $$$, just get the bigger-buck power plant and don't look back. You won't regret it.) If money IS an object, give the 2.8 a chance. If you like it and decide that you would be happy with it, think twice before testing the 2.7T or 4.2, because the 2.8 will pale in comparison with either.

For me, I could afford the 2.8Q but not the 2.7T or 4.2. It was the 2.8 or not an A6 at all. Since buying the 2.8, I have absolutely no regrets and I've never thought, "Gee, I sure wish I had a 2.7T or 4.2."

One last thought...I find that interstate speeds (getting to them and cruising at them) is where the 2.8 is its happiest.
  • Options
    kelfkelf Member Posts: 83
    Have you seen specific information on the next model changes? I heard that the next A4 will be longer and larger and much more spacious inside. But, the rear will be much shorter, smaller and again not have a tail ---so it will not have a body to help the car to hold down.kelfg@aol.com
  • Options
    timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    AudiWorld has a detailed article with pictures of the new A4. It looks alot like an A6 and is a little larger than the current A4. New engines too, include a more modern aluminum block V6. Not sure by what you mean concerning a body to hold the car down. All Audi's hold the road very well and it not primarily a function of the body style.

Don't know what the new A6 will look like. Smart money says a revamp of current car for '02 model year, with new design in '04. It looks like the current A6 and TT are the primary aesthetic contributors to the Audi line for awhile. Audi's seem to go into major new looks about every 8 years, or so.
  • Options
    thanks for the response. my reason for asking is simple...the 2.7t adds two more components to break down, the 2 turbos...the 4.2 is another ballpark in terms of finances.

what kind of city/hwy mpg are you getting with your 2.8Q Tip? thanks.
  • Options
    bollingerbollinger Member Posts: 207
    Go to http://www.audi-a4.com to see it.

It is longer. I'm with timcar, if you are concerned about the car not holding the road because the rear is round, you are way off. The car may be restyled, but it is still designed to run at extended periods at 120mph+ on the autobahn. So don't worry about the rear end lifting off.
  • Options
    I'm getting around 22 - 23 m.p.g. overall. I can get 25 on the highway with no problem. Fuel economy goes down dramatically in the city (with a lot of start & stop), to around 18 or so. In addition, it's noteworthy that my fuel economy is definitely improving as I put miles on the car. I'm still only at 7500 total miles, so I fully expect that I haven't yet peaked.

As for the turbos, 2.7Ts haven't yet been around long enough to know their reliability. I have a Volvo 940 Turbo with 255,000 miles on the original turbocharger, but that kind of life is probably an anomaly. I think there's probably more to worry about besides the turbochargers themselves. Any time you're dealing with a higher-performance car that will likely be driven hard, everything is under greater strain.
  • Options
    ajaymeajayme Member Posts: 74
    I've had no problem merging on to the interstates or acceleration in-town with the Quattro system. My mileage is about what others have reported-24 overall.
  • Options
    blei1blei1 Member Posts: 11
    I think that I need to clear up a few things. First of all, my car has never been misaligned, ever. When the technical expert checked the alignment at 27,000 miles it was, as the service manager said, "perfect". Also the dealer never suggested that I have my tires balanced every 5,000 miles,and if he did, I would have laughed in his face. I just think that is what they expected me to do. My husband works out of town and truthfully, I think that they thought I would just tolerate this. I didn't buy a $40,000 car for that reason. I grew up in an Audi garage and believe me (for a woman)I am fairly mechanically inclined. I would definitely know if my car was out of alignment. Also the roads I drive on are not rough at all. The speed limit is between 65-70 mph for 27 miles. It is mainly an expressway and an interstate. I baby this car. I will tell you though, that after describing my problem to the technical expert at arbitration, the first words out of his mouth were"alignment". Evidently he was incorrect. By the way he was supposed to call me after he replaced the tires on Tuesday, but I have yet to hear from him.

My car did not chew tires until 22,800 miles also. I took my car into the dealer on a Thursday to have them do whatever they do when it would vibrate. I left and the vibration was still there. Dealer did not mention anything about tires until Monday when I brought it back. The vibration was so bad,I think, and that caused the tires to wear more quickly. My vibration is not only in the steering wheel, also. It is in the seat,floorboard,gear shift,passenger seat and I can feel it if I lay my arm on the driver side door. I am not sure if the back is vibrating because nobody sits in the back. I really appreciate your diagnosis because I am looking for all the help I can get, but I don't think your theory is entirely correct. Thankyou very much.
  • Options
    noshonosho Member Posts: 119
    blei1 - Sorry to read of your troubles.
    I have 13000 on my 2.7T with no problems.

You mention that your driver side tire
    wears the most(?). This sounds like a
    bad strut (weak spring or low on gas).
    Tough to test for but would cause tire
    wear and then vibration. The vibration
    would be particularly bad as the weak
    strut wouldn't dampen it out....

Seams like a dealer would be willing to
    change suspension components to try and
    find an obvious problem.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Options
    jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    One of the above posts reminded me that there was an upgrade of the A6 in the last part of 99. Sorry I forget, but what were the changes if anyone recalls ... or do you know where I might check to find out at this late date?

Thanks.
    Take care.
    Joe W.
  • Options
    Definitely changed the radio to have an in-dash and be easier to use. Perhaps the gear ratio changes were at this time also.
  • Options
    portedported Member Posts: 16
    Could not have said it better myself. My '99 A6Q has been a dream. Had a radio issue (really just an annoyance) and the radio replaced no questions asked. Fuel guage recall done, although mine never had the problem. Car has been silent, beautiful and perfect otherwise. MPG combined about 19.5, get 24-25 on the highway. I also find the power no problem, especially if the revs are up. To overcome any low-speed sluggishness (sp?) use the Tip. Mine does not have the automatic upshift from 1st at 2500 RPM, it will rev all the way.

Tested many of the usual suspects too (TL, I30, LS) and A6 won easily, closest was LS. The thing feels like it is on rails! This was the big difference between it and the I30, just a step above in everything. The under invoice deal sealed me too.

Ported
  • Options
    richard76richard76 Member Posts: 6
    After a six month search and numerous visits to dealers, the library and chat rooms I finally narrowed my new car search down to one last model. The Audi A6. Needless to say, all the info pointed to the A6 as one fine automobile.

This evening I paid a visit to my local Audi dealer in hopes of verifying all I had heard. I was definitely in a buying mood! After 20 minutes I couldn't wait to walk (run would be a better word)as fast as I could from Audi. I walked out of the dealership shaking my head in disgust and completely down on Audi! To those who think I am being too harsh let me first say that my comments apply only to the manufacturer/dealer as I still think the A6 is a fantastic machine and wish things had been different. Here is what I experienced.

I said I was looking for an A6 sedan fully optioned but without the quattro option. Nope, the sales rep said. Audi doesn't ship the Audi to the Northeast without quattro. How could I get it I asked? Special order 5-6 months wait! I asked, "Could I get it in another state?" Yes, but only in the deep south or California. Simple I thought, I could buy one somewhere and then drive it back.

Next I asked about service and warranty. The next answer floored me. "Nope, we will not service cars that are not bought from us. This is the general managers's policy"

Is this common? Can dealers refuse to offer warranty service on brands they carry? Has anyone one else seen this happen? This experience has soured me on Audi. How can a car company expect a luxury car buyer to purchase their product if the buyer can't get the vehicle serviced?

Does anyone want to comment. Do you think Audi cares?
  • Options
    There are dealers and salespeople, and dealers and salespeople. You have the misfortune of having visited at least one, and possibly two, of the worst. Most of what you were told is nonsense. I don't know if the problem is simply the lying salesperson, or the entire dealership.

First, while Quattro is more common, people in NJ where I live have bought FWD also. Second, I just ordered an A6. The normal order interval is 3 months, not 5 or 6. Either you are being lied to because the salesperson/sales manager wants to dump what's already on the lot, or they don't have an adequate allotment to get cars from AoA in the minimum interval. Third, I find it extraordinarily improbable that a service manager, much less a general manager doesn't want to make money. Dealerships make most of their money on service! Service and sales are two separate profit centers in dealerships. Typically, one doesn't give a damn if the other makes money or not. Fourth, no dealership has a right to refuse warranty work in their agreement with AoA.

I don't know where you want to go with this, but don't let it sour you on Audi. It may not even be a problem with this specific dealer; it may just be the individual salesperson. But the fact they employ a clown like that bodes poorly, and I would simply move on. You could almost certainly call the general manager yourself, or even the sales manager, and straighten this out. But why bother? Len Hunt at AoA would probably be interested in learning of your experience also.

I'd suggest a visit to AudiWorld where the Audi fanatics gather. Ask for some dealer recommendations in the Boston area. If none are sterling, there must at least be some better than the one you encountered.
  • Options
    I'm in absolute agreement with Tim. The behavior you experienced is inexcusable, and I really have to wonder who at the dealership determined the "policy" that was shared with you. I can tell you a few things that are absolutely certain:

1. There's nothing preventing any dealership from ordering non-quattro ("FrontTrak") A6 2.8s for floor stock. Finding one in stock (even here in California) is rare, because Audi has done a good job of convincing the buying public that quattro is the way to go. Certainly, Audi has built quite a reputation on the strengths of quattro; I'm a little embarrassed to admit that when I ordered my car from the factory I ordered quattro mostly because of the marketing hype and not because I felt that the benefits would be all that noticeable here in California!

2. As for the dealer's apparent unwillingness to service cars (warranty or otherwise) that were purchased elsewhere, such behavior would be the ultimate in idiocy. I'd be surprised if the moron with whom you spoke was accurately representing dealer policy, but who knows? In your shoes (whether or not you'd even consider doing business with the dealership), I'd share the salesperson's comments with the G.M. and the service manager. My strong hunch is that they'll be appalled and will take appropriate action.

3. Audi has had their problems lately, as direct results of incredible sales growth and an infrastructure that at times has had difficulty keeping up with demand. The most obvious problems felt by owners has been difficulty (long waits) in getting replacement parts. There's plenty of evidence that indicates a strong commitment on Audi's part to resolve these concerns, and I believe that they're getting a handle on them.

4. I am 100% convinced that your dealer experience is in no way reflective of the culture at Audi or Audi of America; it's reflective of something very wrong at that dealership. I agree with Tim's suggestion that Len Hunt, Vice President of Audi of America would welcome hearing from you. If you need assistance in reaching Len, feel free to send me an e-mail and I'll gladly share his contact information with you.

5. I've been the proud owner of a 2000 A6 2.8Q since June, and I absolutely love the car. I hope that you're able to find a dealership that earns your confidence, in order that you can experience owning one of these wonderful machines.

Good luck, and let me know if I can be of any help.

- Mike
  • Options
    So he's lying about the policy of not servicing it. And to top that, the dealer makes money providing warranty service, so why wouldn't they service your car?

Audi initially announced that all A6's would be Quattro in the US for 2001. I think they backed off, but non-Quattro A6's are indeed rare anywhere in the US.
  • Options
    Which engine do you have in your 99 A6Q?

Are there any decent Audi dealers in the Atlanta area?
  • Options
    I'd be interested in which dealer hired this bozo, richard76, if you care to post it, or email it to me separately. (I'm just about 45 miles West of Boston.) In addition, I haven't bought yet but have found Bernardi (Natick) to be pretty well-informed and you might speak with someone there.

The only service limit I've heard of with any dealer on a warranty is that some dealers offer preference on appointments, loaners, and car washes, etc., if you've bought from them & at least imply that they don't offer these percs to "non-customers."

Try again!

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • Options
    All 99 A6s (at least all that were sold in the US) have the 2.8 liter engine. They were available with or without quattro, with choice of 5 speed manual or Tiptronic.
  • Options
    blei1blei1 Member Posts: 11
    Well, I forgot to mention that I have my car back and it is definitely vibrating, even with 4 new tires. I have not heard from technical expert as of yet. I really do not expect to either. I will keep you posted as to what is going on after litigation. Thanks everyone for their advice, ideas, and suggestions. Good Luck.
  • Options
    And now it begins! Why assume that I was another dealer's "shill"? I happen to be a legitimate car buyer living in the Metro West area. I have been a Volvo driver for 15 years and wanted to upgrade to a better automobile. The A6 was my choice. Dealer service was my most important criteria. I was reporting exactly what I experienced. In fact the dealer I was referring too WAS Bernardi Audi in Natick. Everything I said was legitimate and accurate. Why is that so hard to believe?

I won't mention names but the salesperson at Bernardi I talked to sat at the desk just inside the entrance to the left. A young man early thirties I guess (everyone looks young to me these days). It was monday night about 8: 30 and it was raining. He will remember me.

Why am I being defensive? I don't know, perhaps it's because i be;lieve these boards should have some integrity. I will be happy to talk or meet with anyone from Audi or the dealer I mentioned to substantiate my veracity. This whole thing has left a sour taste in my mouth. That said, I want to thank all the nice people who responded with encouragement. I haven't given up yet on the A6 but having a dealer I could trust close to my house (Wellesley) was a big plus. Thanks for listening
  • Options
    sixtoferrosixtoferro Member Posts: 13
    Richard: I had a similar experience when I went to lease my Audi. The salesperson who attended to me was a complete boob. He told me 6-8 month wait for a manual A6 2.7T. He said that AoA wasn't really importing to many of these cars, and I was really better off with an automatic. He told me I could buy an Audi at another dealer in the area, but I wouldn't get my car serviced at his dealership. And I had to raise a stink to be allowed to test drive an automatic. He was an older gentleman (mid-50's), so don't think we are all like this guy who attended you at Bernardi. I just turned 30.

Also, the next closest dealer to my home had 3 manuals on his lot, and gave me a $100/mo less than the other guys did for the same car (different colors/same options). What an idiot that guy was.

Also, I got the A/C fixed. They "snuck" me in and had my car fixed in 1 hour. I test drove a TT cabrio while I waited. If had defective switch which cuts off the compressor. It got wet in the recent floods. Excellent service, car is great. The TT is too small.
  • Options
    sixtoferrosixtoferro Member Posts: 13
    I read recently in a maagzine that Audi will be introducing an S6? Has anyone heard anything? I wonder what kind of engine it would have.

As for the vibrations, has anyone had any alignment issues?
  • Options
    Richard, who suggested you were a shill? I've reread my post and others that responded and couldn't find anyone suggesting that. I believed you entirely. My understanding of the term would be someone who is an imposter to attempt a deception for gain. I don't understand. Could you explain further why you feel someone thought you were a dealer's shill?
  • Options
    Regarding # 431, and now what begins? Who suggested that you are "another dealer's 'shill'"?

Unless I'm missing something, everybody here showed empathy and support for you after your very unsatisfactory experience. The "bozo" referred to in # 428 was the salesperson who you talked to, not you!

Am I missing something here?
  • Options
    The salesman who sold me my car wanted to have nothing to do with me until the sales manager pointed at me and told him to help me. He was more interested in dealing with a person who spends so much time there looking over cars that they know him by name. This fellow looks at cars a lot there, had been looking at an A6 for some time, and still hasn't bought one to this day (a year later). Myself, I showed up on the lot to try and buy.

Once he started dealing with me, it was pretty good, no hesitance to give me a test drive and such. Everything was fine until the very end when he and the finance guy worked me for some extra dough. Oh well.

Audi is rumored to bring the S6 to the US early next year. No guarantees though, as AoA hasn't confirmed it. It has the 4.2 engine. In Europe, the S6 has 320HP. The Euro S6 is the same speed 0-60 or 0.1 sec faster than an automatic US A6 2.7T. The stick A6 2.7T smokes it (S6 isn't available with a stick). Some have speculated this will change when the S6 is brought to the US. Perhaps that is the case, but we don't really know as AoA hasn't said anything yet.
  • Options
    Richard, your experience puzzled me enough to ask for the experience of others in your area who visit AudiWorld. Asked if they knew of any decent dealers in your area. One person suggested Wagner in Boylston and said they were treated well by a salesman named Mike Church. You might try him, if that works for you.

Surprisingly, 4 or 5 recommended Bernardi Audi in Natick where you had your bad experience. This strongly suggests you ran into a someone who may be new, or just shouldn't be there. I think the standards at the dealerships I do business with are pretty high, yet I too ran into a clown at one of them. If you feel like you want to give this dealership another shot, you might give the salesmanager a call, described your experience and ask for a different salesperson. I think you'ed have no further problems.

FWI
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Re: S6, A6 4.2, 2.7T, etc.

I have been reading about the S6 and have personally seen -- and got into -- an S6 (2000) outside the Ingolstadt Germany factory (they do not make the 6 series there, however). I believe the S6 in American Configuration will have 340HP and either a 6 speed manual or 5 sPd Tiptronic or 6 spd Tiptronic -- no mention of the Multi-tronic for any of the V8's in any country so far.

What I read would indicate that the S6 is quicker than the A6 2.7T -- especially if the comparison is transmission to transmission comparable. But the S6 does not blow the 2.7T away any more than the 2.7T blows the S6 away. At speeds from 0 - 100km/hr, the acceleration in both is strong, but it is slightly stronger in the S6. I do not think that based on the engine, transmission, and 0- 100km acceleration alone, the S6's extra cost is justified. However, I drive a 2000 A6 4.2 and have test driven both a 2001 A6 2.7T 6 spd manual and a 2001 A6 4.2 5 spd automatic -- the 4.2 as a total package IS more car in every way. It only loses (a few tenths of a second) in a drag race.

Both of these are great automobiles -- and to each his own. My choice for either for free or using my own money is still the 4.2 with the sport package -- the S4 would be my second choice, the S8 my third, and if I had a magic wand and could have a "legal" choice of any Audi currently produced, I would only move the S6 above the A6 4.2 sport (but in all fairness, I have driven every one of them EXCEPT the S6, so even then, I might find the S6 not worth the extra jack -- about $5,000+ over the A6 4.2 sport). For the time being, the A6 is the pick of the litter -- for me anyway.
  • Options
    Richard76, I don't know what happened to get you so riled, and I hope it wasn't something I said. I am the one who mentioned Bernardi, and I was serious -- my own experiences there have been informative and pleasant, although they are often pretty busy. As timcar suggested, they have a generally good reputation & I, too, think you may have gotten a dufus (another word for bozo).

Wagner (as mentioned above) is much closer to my own abode and I've had great attention there, though their reputation for dealing is not so good as at others ... I'll let you know in perhaps another couple of months when I make the leap.

I hope you're feeling better. Unless someone contacted you off the board, I think your outburst was the result of a misunderstanding.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • Options
    allagarooallagaroo Member Posts: 88
    I was curious as to why you felt that the 4.2 was more car than the 2.7 since most of the 4.2 options are available on the 2.7. Are you referring to the "feel" of the 8 vs. the bi-turbo 6?
  • Options
    And I agree, the 4.2 is way more car. It has a slightly better interior, slightly better suspension and aggressive looks. Costs a lot of dough though.

markcincinnati:
    Tests in the British mag CAR have shown the UK (320HP) S6 to do 0.60 in 6.5 seconds, slightly more for the wagon version. This is only 0.1 secs faster than an automatic A6 2.7T (6.6 secs), and a half second slower than an A6 2.7T with stick. As such, I have to report that the A6 2.7T is only marginally slower with the same tranny and significantly faster with a stick.

I cannot disagree with speculation that this could perhaps be different in the US (as I said in my message), but all of that is just speculation, since AoA hasn't even announced the car.
  • Options
    First, I do not know the horsepower of the UK version of the 2000 or 2001 S6. The German version -- and I was told (by an Audi AG, NOT an Audi of America marketing person) a probable American version (when?)-- would be 340HP and offered with either a 5 spd Tiptronic or a 6 spd manual.

The tests reports in Non-American magazines and the "letter from Europe" or Short Takes that are in Car & Driver, Road & Track, etc. from time to time did allege the S6 to be the "quickest" of the Audi '6' series offerings, although by the tiniest of margins (.1 sec manual to manual transmission).

I have read a test or review of the S6 Avant in CAR magazine -- this test was: #1 in the UK, so I assume it was a UK model; and, #2 it was a 5 spd Tiptronic.

All I know is what I have seen/read -- the S6 is the quickest 6 made (and I would wager that even if it was inherently not, that Audi Marketing would NEVER permit the S6 -- the Audi Hot Rod of the 6 series -- to be bested in any critical performance measurement by any lesser 6 model:
    acceleration, stopping, handling or "Q" factor.

Heck, I bet Audi Marketing would never let a 2.7T go out of the factory door as a production model if it "beat" the S6. Beating the A6 4.2 is another story -- as the A6 4.2 even with sport package does not claim to be the quicker of the two -- the 2.7T and the 4.2 -- it claims other qualities and characteristics that in aggregate make the [American] A6 4.2 the Flagship of the A6 line).

And anyway I really like both the A6 2.7T and the A6 4.2 -- a lot. And, as I said, I assume I would love the S6 (I owned a 1995 S6 but that is at least two generations ago in engine technology).

The other question, why not go with a maxed out 2.7T? I'll start by suggesting an exercise, a really fun exercise -- go to your nearest Audi dealer who has a 2001 A6 4.2 with sport package and take it for a long test drive.

The most succinct response to why "I" think the 4.2 is top dog is to say it embodies much of the goodness of an A8 or S8 all of the goodness of any A6 -- and fundamentally raises the bar all the way around (but it will be beaten in a drag with a 2.7T -- and if that is THE most important quality, then go with the 2.7T.)

These dialogs, after all, are mostly opinions -- passionate opinions, yes, but opinions nevertheless. These are great cars and fun discussions!
  • Options
    I don't know where you got non-US S6 test reports of stick-based S6's, because Audi hasn't delivered any.

www.audi.com reports 320HP, but 5.7 secs 0-62 with a tiptronic. No manual availability.
    www.audi.co.uk reports 340HP, 6.7 secs 0-62 with a tiptronic. No manual availablity.

Acceleration figured differ immensely, but neither site offers a stick.
  • Options
    forgive me, but can anyone recommend a good Audi dealer in Atlanta? Since I do not recall any response, I either did not post it, or my memory is failing faster than I "remember."
  • Options
    tom1996tom1996 Member Posts: 7
    Folks,

I have read other messages where a dealer would not service a car purchased elsewhere. One was from a buyer of a Jag. When I questioned this with my Jag dealer he was surprised because they make money on warranty service--from Jag not from the customer. In fact their local ad for the their Volvo dealership goes out of its way to indicate that they will service all cars regardless of where they were purchased.

I sure hope I don't run into such behaviour next year when we go looking for an A6.
  • Options
    I feel I owe everyone an apology AND explanation. My (over) reaction was that I felt I was the "beantown Bozo" being referred to in the title. I then misread the first sentence that mentioned my handle and assumed the writer thought I worked for another dealer. This was a serious misunderstanding on my part for which I apologize sincerely.

Unfortunately I have seen other forums where "flaming" the writers of some posts is as common as falling leaves in New England. This obviously is not one of those forums. Again, my apologies to anyone who I offended. (last post on this subject)
  • Options
    Apology cheerfully accepted, though I'm doubtful one is owed. I've learned a few things as a consequence of your post about Bernardi. It could be your experience was unusual there, based on other information. First, as referenced before, a number of other posters have recommended them because of their experience there. And second because the sales manger happens, coincidentally, to be a frequent contributor over at AudiWorld. His name is Seth Marshall, and his assistance has been useful to many posters.

I think your feelings about Bernardi are entirely justified, but if you decide it's most convenient for you to deal with them, and can get the bad taste out of your mouth, I'd give Seth a call. I think if you related your experience and asked for another salesman you’d be a much better pleased by the way you're treated than the first time around.

By the way, I am not a shill! (LOL) I have no knowledge of, or connection with Bernardi, or anyone else beyond what I've described.
  • Options
    6speed27t16speed27t1 Member Posts: 2
    I experienced the same problem with the auto close on the drivers side window on my 2000 A6 2.7T. It would grind to a slower and slower closing pace each time I closed it until it eventually died before it would close fully. A little later on it would s-l-o-w-l-y close and then open 4-5 inches and stick.

The dealer said the track was broken and they replaced the track. That was 5500 miles ago and it has worked just fine since then.

Other than that I have had zero problems over 12,500 miles. Just returned from a month long, 5000 mile jaunt to Colorado and Southern Utah--mostly on two lane and mountain roads. A real joy to drive the 6-speed on some of those roads--like Rt. 128 along the Colorado past Castle Valley to Moab.

Bud
  • Options
    The magazine, I believe that had a "test report" was written in English -- and I believe the author was a Mr. Kacher, I see his by-line in magazines as diverse as CAR (UK) and Motor Trend (US)I thought I had saved the magazine with the specific review of an Audi S6 with 340hp 6 speed manual, I just can't find it. -- but I did find the following write up about the Audi S6 (marketing collateral I assume from Audi AG itself):

"The S3, S4 and S8 are now joined by the S6. With the introduction of two new sporting models, the S6 Audi now completes its range of S models. High performance and modern appearance are characteristics
    common to all members of the Audi S family. And every Audi S model, from the S3 to the S8, including
    the two new cars, features quattro permanent all-wheel drive.

A powerful heart beats in the Audi S6: underneath the hood a 4.2 litre V8 engine with five valves per
    cylinder goes to work lustily; its power output has been upped to 250 kW (340 bhp).

The power flow from this eight-cylinder engine is impressive, with a torque of 300 Nm available only
    slightly above idle speed, and a maximum of 420 Nm at 3,400 rpm. Top speed is electronically limited
    to 250 km/h. The S6 sprints from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 5.7 seconds (the S6 Avant in 5.8
    seconds).

A six-speed manual gearbox or a tiptronic transmission with ratios chosen to suit the car's sporting
    character delivers power to the quattro permanent all-wheel drive, which in turn transmits it with
    supreme reliability to the road. The direct steering ratio ensures particularly active and precise
    response to steering wheel movements.

The ABS anti-lock braking system, the tandem brake servo and ventilated disc brakes with aluminium
    calipers on all wheels ensure that the car can be braked and brought to a halt very reliably. Additional
    safety is provided by the ESP electronic stability program, which includes the EDL electronic
    differential lock, the EBD electronic brake-force distribution system and the ASR traction control
    system.

The design of the Audi S6 communicates its dynamic character. Based on the Audi A6 4.2 quattro, the
    S6 none the less creates its own visual impact, thanks to new, boldly styled grilles. The flared wheel
    arches accommodate 17" cast aluminium wheels of Avus design with 255/40 R 17 tyres. Polished
    aluminium door mirror casings, two chrome-plated exhaust tailpipes and bumpers and side sills painted
    entirely in the body colour create additional visual accents.

With Recaro sports seats in combined alcantara and leather, a leather-covered sports steering wheel,
    an alcantara roof lining and carbon-fibre trims applied to the instrument panel and door trims, the
    interior too will live up to the high expectations of customers in the top sporting segment.

The new Audi S6 is fresh evidence of Audi's technical authority and its justified claim to sporting
    character. It will attract new customers with exacting standards to the Audi marque."

Even the S8 is offered with a 6 spd manual -- and I believe this is documented in the current issue of Car and Driver wherein they review the US S8 and comment that Audi of America decided NOT to offer its customers (North America) a 6 spd manual like is available in some parts of Europe:

"To transmit this power, S8 customers have the option of a manual 6-speed gearbox
    or the 5-speed tiptronic transmission with Dynamic Shift Program (DSP). This can
    be operated by means of fingertip switches on the tiptronic sports steering wheel
    that is available as an optional extra."

This stuff came from Audi AG marketing materials -- now I have never personally seen a stick shift S8 (although I have seen the automatic version); but, I have seen the S6 manual in person in Germany in January of this year. It was on the Audi grounds in Ingolstadt, so perhaps it was a mule or not available to the public, but it was there nevertheless and the Audi AG Marketing guy who spoke perfect English said the S6 WAS the quickest Audi 6 model -- exactly what is the acceleration of a manual transmission stock 2.7T supposed to be versus "tested" -- my brochure I belive claims 0-62MPH in 6.0 seconds for the 2.7T in manual form -- what did it test out at? Is it really quicker tranny to tranny than the S6 -- not according to Audi literature, apparently. As Audi literature claims for the stick:

"The 2.7T A6 shares the same 2.7
    liter 250 hp bi-turbo V6 that is found in the Audi S4. The 6-speed transmission and brake
    system are also the same and the exhaust system is similar as well. Official performance
    numbers are 0-60 in 6.0 seconds and 14.7 seconds for the quarter mile - only slightly slower
    than the S4. "

Using only Audi's own literature it would seem that Audi is positioning potential customer's expectations (for acceleration) to be 0-62 @ 5.7 sec for the S6 and 6.0 sec for the A6 2.7T.

I don't know that this is THE last word on this, but I anxiously await responses from this erudite group!

Thanks and Happy Thanksgving.
  • Options
    rickg4rickg4 Member Posts: 5
    i am shopping for an A6Q in boston. i was at the audi/vw dealer in brookline. i was lukewarm on the salesperson. let me say that this is the first time for buying/leasing a new car. i DONT trust sales (car) sales people (no offense). can anyone offer any advise on the process? the salesman gave me the sticker price but said that he would talk discounts if/when ready to buy. is this common? how can i find out what a fair deal is on a lease/buy price? also, what is audiworld? thanks rickg4
  • Options
    Buying a new car is an intimidating experience. On one side you have the customer, someone like yoursewlf who has never bought a new car and may not be comfortable in a negotiating situation. On the other side you have the salesperson, someone who sells for a living and negotiates every day. Someone who you know you don't trust. Sounds like a no win situation right?

The best thing you can do to "even" the situation is arm yourself with information. Search the web using key words "New Car Prices" and you will find good, accurate pricing information. Check out the model you want to buy and go over the option list. You will find both MSRP (manufacturer suggested list price) and "invoice". Invoice is what the dealer cost is. There is more. Investigate whether there are any dealer incentives, rebates or dealer hold backs. What you are trying to determine is what the dealer's profit margin is. Once you know that you have enough information to proceed.

Timing is an improtant variable in your search. Right now is a "good" time to be looking. The new model year just kicked off and dealers are holding inventory. Why is this good? Inventory has a cost. The sooner the car moves off their lot, the less the dealer pays to finance the inventory. Yes, dealers finance their cars just like you and I. Those added costs reduce a dealer's profit.

The end of the month is a good time because sales quotas usually are monthly based. If the dealer is a few cars away from meeting an incentive they may let give you a good deal just to "make the number". There may also be some good deals on last years model. Try that too.

I can't tell you how to negotiate. Each deal is unique. But the key is "win - win" The question you must answer is what is a fair profit for the car you will buy. That is where the research comes in. Right now there are some great deals at $500 over list or less on some makes.

Try the internet and make an offer over the web. It's a low cost way for the dealer to make a sale.

I have had some (very) good experieces and some (very) bad ones with salespeople but the bottom line is that you have the right to get up and move on if it doen't feel right to you. Don't be pressured into a deal. Be civil but remember YOU are the customer and YOU have the money. Every salesperson needs to be reminded of that occasionally.

Good Luck and don't give up!
  • Options
    Rick, a good price for an A6 is $1K to $2k over dealer invoice, which is the price the dealer paid for the car. It is better to negotiate from cost, than price. There is dealer invoice pricing here in Edmonds, and elsewhere. It may not be exactly correct, but should be close. The way you know what the dealer paid for the car is by getting a copy of their invoice. If you are dealing with a straight-up salesperson, they shouldn't have a problem giving you one. If they won't, take a walk. There shouldn't be any "extras" added to the price on the dealer invoice, such pre-delivery inspection, or any other nonsense a dealer might dream up. Beyond that, a dealer will try to sell you extras such as an extended warranty, (Sometimes valuable, but overpriced when purchased from a dealer.) and all manner of other junk, usually worthless.

If you're financing through the dealer, you need to make sure the purchase cost on the financing adds up to the agreed upon purchased cost.

That's the short version. As Richard suggested, it pays to educate yourself by researching information on the web. But don't accept all information as fact and be sure to analyze it. From personal experience, the dealer invoice pricing that is posted can be off. I used a service, (not Edmonds) which UNDER estimated dealer cost by about $1,000.

AudiWorld is a forum like this one. It is another good place to learn about Audi's, and the purchasing of them. If you’d like to visit this is the URL:

http://www.audiworld.com/
  • Options
    Better spelling.
  • Options
    Has tested out at 0-60 in 6.0 secs. European one is not nearly as fast, so I don't know where the Audi AG person pulled that from.

Using the S4 as a guideline, you would think the A6 2.7T would test out as significantly faster than Audi rates. But such has not shown to be the case.

I have no idea why Audi hasn't delivered S6's with sticks. I have a really wild guess though. I think the manual tranny is too long to fit with the V8 under the A6 hood (even the stretched V8 one). It could of course fit under the S8 one but not the S6. That's just a guess though.

It seems odd to me that Audi has fallen back on the manual S6, to the point of not even mentioning it in literature anymore. Perhaps it will appear at some point.
  • Options
    In addition to the great advice already posted here by Tim and Richard, a few thoughts...

1. As has already been mentioned, work from dealer invoice. When I bought my A6 earlier this year (a 2000 model), the invoice prices posted here at Edmunds.com were dead accurate, right to the dollar, for the base car and all options. I'm confident that they still are, so this site is a great source.

2. It's important to be willing to offer a deal that's fair to the dealer. After all, they have a right to a reasonable profit. I agree with Tim that $1000 - $2000 over invoice is fair to all for any A6, regardless of engine or options. On a 2.8, you can probably get them to agree to an offer near the bottom of that range; 2.7Ts and 4.2s may require closer to $1500 - $2000 over. From what many people at AudiWorld.com have said, there's absolutely no reason to pay over $2000 over invoice under any circumstance. Keep in mind also that you'll be entering into a long-term relationship with your dealer; trying to get in with a deal that isn't fair to them isn't a good way to begin that relationship.

3. There are no dealer holdbacks on Audis, therefore, you cannot use holdbacks as a negotiating tool.

4. When considering extended warranties, keep in mind that Audi provides not only a full warranty but also free scheduled maintenance for 4 yrs./50,000 miles. If you're doing a lease that doesn't exceed the duration of the warranty and maintenance, you're 100% protected for the full time you have the car.

5. You haven't said which A6 (2.8, 2.7T, 4.2, Avant) you're considering. Have you decided? If not, here's my 2-cents worth: You can't go wrong with any of them. If $$$ is no object, get the 4.2 and don't think twice. It's a screamer, quite possibly the best high-performance "sporty" sedan you can buy this side of an AMG Mercedes.

If the 4.2 costs more than you want to spend OR if you want a 6-speed manual, take a 2.7T for a drive. You'll love it. While (possibly) lacking some of the absolute smoothness of the 4.2's V8, the 2.7T Biturbo is a rocket that is sure to exhilarate. In addition, unlike the 4.2 it can be ordered without leather, moonroof, Bose audio system, auto-dimming mirrors, multi-function steering wheel, memory seats/mirrors, and HomeLink.

Then there's the 2.8. Opinions vary quite a bit; here's mine, after 5 months and 7500 miles (quattro with Tiptronic): This is one fabulous automobile. As I've written here before, there's no question that the 2.7T and 4.2 offer thrilling acceleration. Not everyone, however, who has the means to buy these versions values what they'd be paying the extra money for. Some people (like me) DO value the added performance but can't afford it. If you fall into either category, by all means check out the 2.8. It's wonderful. There are those who say that an A6 that isn't a 2.7T or 4.2 isn't worth buying, that the 2.8 is underpowered. I strongly disagree! While it absolutely does not have the acceleration of the more powerful versions, I don't find it to be lacking anything. In my opinion, it's at least sufficiently powerful; passing power is great. NEVER have I found myself unhappy with the performance of the car's power train.

The bottom line is this: It's hard to imagine anyone not thoroughly enjoying a 2.7T or 4.2. They're both incredibly quick sport sedans. For those who can't quite ante up for either, or who just don't value the rocket-like acceleration that they offer, the 2.8 is a great choice. If in doubt, definitely drive one and decide for yourself. (By the way, only the 2.8 is available without quattro.)

6. The A6 is an incredible car, regardless of configuration. Have you driven one yet? If not, you're in for a treat. The car is the perfect blend of luxury, performance, and sportiness. The interior is in a class by itself, especially when illuminated at night. The car just reeks of quality.

7. Regarding options, I HIGHLY recommend the Premium Package (for the xenon headlights and auto-dimming mirrors). The xenons are incredible, especially in rain or snow. After having them on my A6, I'll not likely ever own a car without them. The auto-dimming mirrors work wonderfully. It's really nice not having to deal with glare in the outside mirrors.

As for audio systems, I suggest listening to both (standard and Bose) systems before you decide. Although the Bose system costs more, there are MANY A6 owners (including me) who prefer the sound of the standard system. In addition, be aware that the head unit is the same regardless of which system you choose; only the amps and speakers differ. With the Bose system, the amps and speakers are matched to each other. (The amps provide required equalization for the Bose speakers.) Therefore, you can't replace one (with an after-market upgrade) without upgrading the other; if you upgrade the amps and speakers you've thus completely nullified the Bose package. Bottom line: If you intend to upgrade amps and/or speakers, get the standard audio system.

I guess I've rambled yet again! Hope some of this helps - good luck.

- Mike
  • Options
    mike,richard, tim, thanks for all the advice! i didn't specify but it is the A6Q 2.8L that i am interested in (with celebration and cold weater pkg. we test drove that and the allroad a6 wagon. yes it was a treat!! it will be primarily for my wife and she doesnt feel she needs any more power than the 2.8(no testosterone). i wasnt considering the premium pkg but i might after your feedback, mike. i hate glare and those bright xenon lights behind me.
    what i've heard a couple of times, once from a volvo dealer too, was that the cars are in such high demand that the invoice is not really relevant. aaa auto buying goes buy a 3% mark up over invoice. edmunds had the the total pkg invoice at $35,693 and a tmv of 37,444 (msrp of 39,850)for a 1,751 mark up, the higher end of what was suggest here, but certainly in the ball park. i'm waiting to here from the autobytel dealer on their no-haggle price.
    i have tried to do my homework. the info you all gave is very helpful. also, if not yet mentioned, we were primarily thinking of leasing. i am comfortble negotiating, not easily pressured or intimidated, but leasing throws in some extra variables with which i am not familiar, making it harder for me to know what a fair price (or lease payment would be. i was planning on a no money down lease and figuring a residual value of about 60%. i'll keep folks posted. any more advice/info is always welcome. thanks again!
    rick
  • Options
    Rick, have you checked on the link from Edmund's home page to the section called "Consumer Advice"? Very helpful.

Take care,
    Joe W>
  • Options
    thanks joe. also, what do thers recommend about whether to trade in or not, esp on a lease? i have a 92 ford explorer with a kbb of $4700.

happy thanksgiving,

rick
  • Options
    dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    I recently had to make the same decision. My experience is that you can expect no more than low wholesale for trade-in. Forget KBB values; they're very optimistic. Check to see how dealers price your truck on used car lots and deduct 25% or so...that's your real seeling price. I sold my extra clean'96 Montero privately after getting pathetic trade-in offers. Since my truck was late model and worth for $15K+ (KBB value $18K), it took a few weeks to find a buyer, but I got my price and preserved about $3K equity value vs. a $12K trade-in. I'm also convinced that few people shop late model, higher priced used cars ($10K+)from private parties. Since your price would be in a more moderate range, I don't think you'll have a problem selling your Exploder and doing much better than trade-in value. (Holiday timing won't help.)