Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• noshonosho Posts: 119
    Realistically, only the person buying can answer this question. Compare low-end grunt between the two and see which one you prefer. The 2.7T can be obtained with a sport suspension/tire option (~$1400). Find one to test drive and see if this is to your liking. Then make your choice....
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,084
    Based on your personal preferences for acceleration -- well, the A6 2.7T is the quickest Audi in the land (USA) if equipped with the 6spd manual. Even without this transmission the 2.7T is an awesome car for the money -- test it against a 530 BMW -- which will (lease) cost more per month -- and not have quattro!

Conversely, I had the pleasure of a loaner A6 3.0 and found it a very nice car -- but I like the availability (from the factory) of a sport package, which is currently not available on the 3.0.

More's the pity.

This one was easy.
  • dfwhalldfwhall Posts: 11
    Just purchased (5/4/02) 3.o CVT. So far, so good. Had excellent deal on both 3.0 and 2.7T. The 3.0 seemed "livelier" in the handling department and seemed to have a firmer brake pedal and feel. Using the tranny in the "tip" mode really gets the motor spinning. Stayed with a new W8 Passat the other day up to 110 without really trying hard. On a trip from Dallas to Wichita, saw 33mpg at 75 to 80 mph with the air on. Once you get used to the different action of the CVT tranny, this thing is great! One trim piece replaced under warranty so far. Dealer has been great. One caution: Anyone looking at 2002 models, seems Audi does not supply "valet" key anymore. Must be purchased from parts department. My dealer paud for this after I spoke up.Without this key, impossible to secure trunk or glove box when valet parking!
  • timcartimcar Posts: 363
    Thanks for the update. Very interesting.
  • dfwhalldfwhall Posts: 11
    Can anyone help with the name or phone number of a supplier for "clear film" that is applied to the front of a car to prevent chips. I have an Audi bra for my '02 A6. At speeds above 70 mph, the center of the nose portion "flutters" and "flaps", causing scratches to the hood. Kind of deletes the purpose of the bra. I have tryed tightening the straps for the nose portion but it still works loose and starts to flap. I travel alot on the highways and do not want the nose of this great car all chipped up in a short time. Does anybody have any suggestions???
  • tubeytubey Posts: 39
    I had Stongard installed on my car in January of 2001. Cost about $392. Got it installed by the manufacturer in Bellevue, WA (425-646-0670). They have a kit custom to the current A6; I also had them put a piece across the leading 7" of the roof. That was a tad bit extra.

The odd stone still gets by the barriers, but not nearly to the degree that would have happened without it. And I don't even notice it anymore.

Call 'em and they will direct you to a franchised installer, hopefully in your area. Check out their website www.stongard.com for a description of the product.
  • max27tmax27t Posts: 35
    dfw, I'm glad you mentioned about getting a valet key from the parts department. About 6 weeks ago I picked up my 2.7t and I ordered extra remotes. I asked the salesman if valet keys were available and he said no -just the remotes and the emergency key. After I read your message I called the parts department at my dealer and was told valet keys were available for 02s for about $50. I then called my salesman back and informed him. I don't think he was trying to mislead me, but he had been misinformed at one point and never thought to ask again. I told him so he would have the right answer for the next person who asked.

I'll be getting a valet key soon, but I wish Audi made it a little more obvious that they are available for an extra fee. I'm not sure what I'll do with the emergency key, but I've used the valet key semi-regularly on other cars and I don't think the emergency key is meant to be twisted many times.
  • feastfeast Posts: 1
    My 02 2.7T seems to have lost some power and Torque from when I bought it in March. I brought it to the dealer and they test drove it and tested it and they said the engine was fine. The answer that they provided was as the weather in the Northeast gets warmer, the turbos do not provide as much boost as they do in the cooler periods. Has anyone noticed a decrease in performance that is substantial? Does anyone contribute this to the weather?
    No, not in my turbo (TT @ 225HP) I haven't noticed any decrease in apparent power as it warms here in southern Ohio. On the surface, if you say it fast enough though, it almost seems logical however. I would just think that the differences would not be perceptable to the average person's bum.

But, on the off chance that it could happen is this car equipped with a manual or automatic transmission. Every turbo I have ever owned has been a manual transmission and I have never noticed this behavior.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,574
    My Saab is equipped with a Turbocharger and an Automatic transmission. I don't notice the difference when the weather here in NY gets warmer. I mash the gas and the car takes off in either cold or warm.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• marleybarrmarleybarr Posts: 334
    On my '00 2.7T w/"tip" I notice a decrease in power(torque) w/ air on until about 65mph. Maybe as the weather has warmed up you have turned the air on and this could be the dif. After 65mph I don't notice much "lag" w/air on.
  • timcartimcar Posts: 363
    My '01 2.7T IS affected by warmer air. Your dealer's explanation is correct. The temperature of "charge" air, the air that the turbo's compress, does affect power. You've also just had the gas reformulated, and most cars don't perform as well on summer gas. Also as Max says, the air is running more. I find a notable difference in acceleration with it turned off. Try doing a couple of acceleration runs. One with the Econ button active, and one without. In fact, I've noticed that under heavy load, my air conditioner switches off, 90+mph, etc.

As long as your diverter valves are in good shape, and there aren't any leaks in the turbo plumbing, what you are experiencing is probably normal.
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Posts: 136
    Just back from a car trip through Germany. A great time. We had a VW Passat diesel - averaged 34.8 mpg. Fuel is expensive. Diesel was .84 Euros/liter and premium topped out at 1.11 Euros/liter. Based on the exchange rate last week that was about $2.85/gallon for diesel and $3.75/gallon for premium. There's regular and mid-grade as well.

Based on my informal survey the most common power for the A6 and A8 appears to be the 2.5 diesel. Little wonder after looking at fuel prices. I did see the occasional 2.7T and 4.2, though. (Also spotted other economy conscious models like the BMW 518, the Audi A4 1.4T, and the MB A140). There are lots of fast models of all German makes there, too. Not uncommon to have a car (or two or three bumper to bumper) passing by well in excess of 100 mph. Normal speed - average in the right lane - was about 140 kph (~88 mph).

I wish American drivers would respect the left lane as a passing lane. Drivers who do pass are quick to return to the travel lane (unlike the US interstate system where some clown in a mini-van with a trailer settles in the left lane at 64 mph).
  • jimcoll1jimcoll1 Posts: 2
    Greetings, I'm a new member and this is my first post. I am a 3-time Acura owner and currently drive a 1999 TL. I've been fairly happy with it but also agree with the Acura comments I've read on this board. It's essentially a luxurious, performance-oriented Accord. It is a great value and seems to do well in the depreciation area.

I any case, I'm ready to change cars and have been pining for an A6 for a year. I'm ready to buy an A6 Quattro with the preferred package and possibly a few other options. I could use some advice on a few issues:

1. What price (margin over invoice) should I hope for at this time of year? There seem to be quite a few A6's on the lots and the end of the model year approaches. I hoped with hard bargaining I might get to $1000 over invoice.

2. Can anyone compare the standard sound system with the Bose? I've read the comments on the Bose and agree it is a bit muddy but have not been able to hear the standard system. I'm a great music fan and hope for at least a mid-fi level of sound quality.

3. Any comments on whether the Convenience and Premium packages are worth the money? Also, any comments on paint and leather colors? Wine glass wheels? I'm having a tough time deciding. I realize these are largely personal preferences but any observations or opinions would be of interest.

4. Lastly, any other comments on areas I haven't mentioned would be appreciated.

I've really enjoyed looking over the posts from the last year. You are a devoted lot. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,574
    $1000 over invoice is definitely doable. My Mom has Ming Blue/Black leather and it is gorgeous. Even if Audi made a puke green interior, it would be nice. I prefer the sportiness and tidyness of the black interior, others prefer the elegant look of beige or the softness of light grey. Either way you can't go wrong.

The wine glass wheels are the wheels that used to come on the old 2.8 (I'm sure you've seen these). The standard wheels on the 3.0 are the 5 spokes that come standard on the 2.7T. Stick with the stock wheels.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• dtwleungnycdtwleungnyc Posts: 188
    I just took delivery of an A6 Avant last weekend. I had the preferred luxury package, convience and premium package with the front and rear heated seat. I didn't order the Bose premium sound system because I didn't feel it was worth the approx $700 cost. But that's a personal preference thing. $1000 over invoice for a sedan should be doable, especially if you are picking one from the dealer's inventory instead of factory order or dealer swap.
  • mpyles1mpyles1 Posts: 90
    The premium package is worth it for the bi-xenon headlights alone (high and low beams). I've never had them until my new A6, but they really do light up the night. (Just gotta be quick to dim them with oncoming traffic, though.)

I just LOVE this car so far (only 420 miles on it, though). . . fast, quiet, taut, comfortable.

Only three downsides . . . the Bose audio system sounds as muddy as every other Bose system I've heard; cupholders will not hold a 20-oz bottle of soda (which I habitually consume on a long drive to work); and parts are wickedly expensive: oil filters $52.95 each; OnStar/Telematics package $695; telematics phone $625, mounting bracket $250, labor to install $112.65 . . . for a grand total of $1,682.65 for a phone!#!?
  • dtwleungnycdtwleungnyc Posts: 188
    The xenon headlights is a must. You wouldn't believe how much better you see the road at night. Don't know about the sedan version, but the wagon comes with a auto level rear suspension so that I won't blind the on-coming traffic if I have a heavy load in the back.
  • campscamps Posts: 12
    I have a 1998 Audi A6 and I have recently noticed a bucking motion when I take my foot off the accelerator to slow down. I had it serviced but to no avail. The problem is still there and I am wondering if any one has ever experienced this bucking motion before. If so could some one please advise what can be done to stop this uncomfortable bucking. Thanks

Camps
  • noshonosho Posts: 119
    Convenience Package - I'm of the opinion that
    auto-dimming mirrors are a must, which in turn
    makes the convenience package a must.

Premium Package - The parktronic is nice.
    If you find yourself often in tight parking
    situations then its worth it. The low beams
    on my 2000 are weak so the HID lamps would be
    nice. I don't care for nor use the multifunction
    steering wheel - the button position/layout seems
    wrong/awkward to me. I REALLY wish cruise control
    was on the steering wheel.

Bose - I recall someone shopping for an A6 posting
    that the stock sound system actually sounded better
    than the Bose. I have the Bose and can't say I'm
    impressed, but that's what the car came with so
    that's what I have.
  • mpyles1mpyles1 Posts: 90
    There's a lot of discussion on the Audiworld website about how to improve the Bose sound system (and almost no one defending it).

Apparently, the head unit is not itself of Bose manufacture and has embedded coding that allows it to work with the downstream Bose components (amp and speakers) or with other brand components. Either your Audi dealer or a properly-equipped audio shop can reprogram the head unit to operate with non-Bose components by changing the fourth digit in the coding from a "1" to a "0".

Most of the evil of the Bose system reportedly resides in its amp, where Dr. Bose's odd equalization theories reign. (He has said that high frequencies are "tiring", and consequently his systems attentuate high-frequency output. I have never been able to decide whether he believes this bunk or just uses it as an excuse to market crappy speakers at a premium price.) The amp can then be changed out using a Blaupunkt harness connector (again, you'd best be using a sophisticated audio shop). The last stage of improvement would be to change the speakers.

This ain't cheap, but it would allow you to get rid of Dr. Bose's eclectic equalization theory (or scam marketing) without having to mess up the look of your dashboard.

Re Nosho's comment in the message above . . . it wouldn't surprise me at all if the stock system sounded better than the "premium" Bose. I've never heard a good Bose sound system in a home, car, or dorm room (where Bose first made his mark in the 1960's with boomy, bass-heavy systems that sounded better and better as you got stoned.)
    The phrase I hear the most: "no highs, no lows. . .it must be Bose!"

Sorry I couldn't resist. I do think the Bose is better than the stock however, for what it's worth.
  • Looking hard at a 98A6Q,48k.What "1st year bugs" should I beware of?(Gas tank and dash display recalls have been done, I am told).Have previously owned FWD Audis. Will the Q be noticably slower?A little paranoid as I will be getting out of a 96A6 that has been the most trouble-free of my 6 Audis.Thanks for your help!
    If you can get the all inclusive "facotry" 75K warranty, fine. If not, run away from this car as fast as possible. The 99's were better IMO.
  • docdoowopdocdoowop Posts: 6
    I'm seriously thinking of going from a '99 A4 Avant to an '02 A6Q 3.0 sedan. Can anyone tell me if Audi U.S.A. is offering a warranty extension as a customer incentive?
  • markcinti3markcinti3 Posts: 17
    The problem with the word current is that they are just that "current" -- who knows if they will last through June 1?

There is a loyalty incentive -- requirements, prior lease with Audi Financial, new car lease through Audi financial. Benefit (was, still could be): no sec dep and first month's payment (capped at $800) made for you. No money down.

So you can lease one of these delightful cars for 30 or 36 months and pay for 29 or 35 months and, based on my experience you can realistically "early out" on your lease 2 - 5 months with no penalty (of course the car has to have less than the equivalent of 15,001 miles per year, no damage and be "spotless" inside (and never smoked in)). Also, it needs to be a car that is "popular" -- for the early out possibility. Popular color, options, etc.

The advantage to such programs is you never pay for service, never have a car that is out of warranty and with the possibility of buying one set of tires, gasoline, plates and insurance -- you have no $.$$ surprises of any kind.

I assume that there are reasons to go 39 months (slightly lower monthly payment) -- but I have found that this lease is too close to the edge of the warranty and too difficult to bail out of.

My wife and I have tried 12 months (it doesn't help because the first year depreciation is huge), 24 months (pretty nice deal for a TT), 27 months (which is difficult because it seems Audi can't bring out its new models at the same time every year so you may end up leasing a 2001 and 27 months later all you can get is a 2002), 30 months (which is like Goldilocks --"just right") or 36 months (which if you drive about 1,000 miles a month normally and take a few "road trips" per year will keep you in warranty, but you will almost certainly have to buy new tires one time). I never tried the 39 month lease because I couln't make the payment versus new tire issue work.

As we are near the end of the build year, I would assume the incentives are perhaps more MSRP based than anything else, in that the MSRP might be discounted somewhat more steeply, especially if the inventory of '02's is a bit fat. If the inventory is a bit lean, I would not expect any more than "normal" MSRP reductions -- from time to time the dealerships have been known to run out of cars, and as Audi of America has been apparently getting more of its customers to take whatever is available rather than special order, you may find discounts aren't as plentiful as you would like (or exactly the opposite).

My wife and I must be relics (in that we have "never" been able to find the exact car we want on the lot and we love the order and wait process (well not so much the wait)), we have already ordered our 2003's and we are anticipating delivery dates for her 2003 TT of October or November and for my 2003 allroad of late November through early January.

Anyway, ask for incentives -- the worst they can say is "no."
    Mark,
    It looks like you cannot buy the TT w/ auto tranny. Did Audi change that for '03? I'm assuming your wife ordered w/manual transmission? I hope she will be getting the convertible, I sat in a coupe at the Audi dealer the other day, it felt very "confining" and was somewhat hard to get in and out of. I just can't believe Audi doesn't make a sunroof on that model!
    There is -- so the preliminarty ordering guide claims an auto transmission available on the TT for the first time.

Although generally a live and let live kinda person, this makes my wife unhappy as she thinks the purity of the sports car is somehow undermined when attempts are made to add such conveniences as auto trans. While I do not agree with this, what bothers me is when the choice is removed -- like on my '01 4.2 A6 -- I would get another in a heartbeat if it had a manual tranny.

And no roadster for her -- she likes the room for groceries, books, dogs and golf clubs the coupe affords and is not too interested in a sunroof, which would probably take away headroom unless it was a pop up type.

She loves her TT -- this will be her third!

I hope to love the allroad -- already looking into new wheel/tires, exhaust system, chipping and beefier anti sway bars -- by the way I ordered it with the Full Paint Option! Burgundy Red Pearl with Ecru Cricket leather, and all options but the auto trans and the third rear seat!

I hope its fun -- my A6 4.2 has spoiled me in many ways!
    Quite interesting that your wife likes the "coupe".I love the "look" of the car, and can understand the storage issue, the roof just seemed too "low" for my liking.
    I'm eager to order the '03 w/"tip" or hopefully the "CVT" and the ragtop model! I hope the ragtop can take the long,cold, Minnesota winter!
    My current 2nd drive is the '98 Toyota XLE w/50,000 miles. I have "negative equity" in the vehicle for about 15 more payments assuming I keep the miles low and the condition good. The trade-in or private sell at that time towards the '03 or '04 TT should let me "out" of the Toyota w/o shelling out any "extra." The reason I'm still making payments on a '98 car is because I leased it for 3 years and then bought the vehicle at the end of the lease. I was way over on miles and couldn't see paying $1500 just to give the vehicle back.Bought the vehicle w/ nothing down and $364.00/mo.Found it impossible (last summer) to find a better "2nd drive" for that monthly payment with absolutely nothing down!
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    That sounds like quite a car. Just curious about the '03's - how much for the full paint option? Is it still the 2.7T engine? How about other changes from the '02's? Will it have the full Nav, integrated sound system/digital phone?