Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6

Comments

• That's what I originally thought it might be, so I pressed the motion sensor button when the beeps occurred and it did not solve the problem. Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'm experiencing a malfunction with the motion alarm. Any other thoughts out there as to what might cause 2 short beeps out of the speakers at the top of the B pillar?
  • timcartimcar Posts: 363
    I think I read somewhere that the little speakers on the B pillar are for the hands-free telephone. I assume you don't have the phone. If so, my guess is someone has the car programmed to think it does have a phone, and hence the speakers are live. Bet the two beeps mean something in relationship to the phone, like phone inoperative, or maybe the opposite.
  • My CPA has me lease my car in my name, then pick a number called "auto allowance" -- and it is important that you are in an equity position in the company -- so he says. Then, pick a percentage of a payment that makes sense from a business/personal usage standpoint.

If you have another car in your household this is a bit easier. For example, lease payment $800. Auto allowance 70% not to exceed $600. Company writes a check for $560 to Audi Financial you write a check to Audi Financial for $240.00.

Clean, neat -- oh yes and you pay for the gas, plates, insurance and maintenance.
  • To all Audi owners - What is your experience with: (1) how long it takes to get into a dealer for service; and (2) does your dealer have the parts you need in stock. I am having an issue with a dealer who takes 4 to 5 weeks for an appointment and who doesn't seem to have basic parts in stock, which drags out repair time. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Zyrus
  • 39 months @ 15,000 $1,051/mo. Which is about $6,000+ off sticker. MSRP @ $78,000.

Nothing down -- no sec dep first mo payments made by AoA.
  • tubeytubey Posts: 39
    My dealer usually requires about two weeks, particularly if reserving a loaner, but if it's an emergency (like broken window guides)I can usually get it in within a day. Once, when my coolant temp sensor malfunctioned on a Sunday they told me to bring it in Monday and fixed it right away.

I called this past Monday for an appointment for tire rotation, balancing and alignment check prior to a long trip and the first day they could get me in was 10/12; later than that if I needed a loaner, which I don't.

As for parts: no experience. The few things that I've needed were obviously in stock because I was never "back ordered" or told that we would have to wait for parts.

My dealer is University in Seattle.
  • My experience with scheduling service has been good: usually a week to ten days for non emergencies; if it is something safety related, within 24 hours. The wait is a bit longer if a loaner is required.

Parts have generally been readily available, unless there is a major recall; then, they are scarce.
  • Okay, I trust my dealer, but I'm still wondering. The two lights around the rear license plate, the ones that come when the fog lights are activated...well I noticed that the right one did not illuminate, only the left.

I took it in (ok, I should have check here first) and the dealer told me that it wasn't supposed to come on.

I assume this is the case, but I just wanted to hear it from fellow A6 owners. And if not, why have it at all?

Thanks.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Posts: 403
    The point of having only one rear fog light is to distinguish it from having your brake lights on
  • Mark,

You are very generous with your time and knowledge. If you would not mind explaining your understanding in greater detail I would be very appreciative.

I had planned to buy my next car outright, but after reading this board for the last few months I'm considering leasing. This morning you posted some lease suggestions. Maybe I can follow the path you've taken, but I'd like to understand a few points a little better.

The company is on the hook for a fixed monthly cost, based on a percentage of the monthly lease payment. The individual is on the hook for the remaining percentage of the monthly lease payment, plus all of the variable costs - gas, tires, maintenance, insurance, etc.

Do you set the company percentage based on a strict accounting of business vs personal miles, or does this percentage take into account the variable costs the individual picks up? For instance, if you put on 600 business miles and 400 personal miles each month, would you set the percentage at 60%, or bump it up to 70% to defray the variable costs?

You also state it is important that you are in an equity position in the company. The reason is not apparent to me. If we wanted to have the same policy for owners and employees, we should not use your method?

Also, why is it easier if you have another car in the household? Is it because you can put most of your personal miles on the second car?

From a tax standpoint, none of the monthly lease payment paid by the company is considered to be compensation, right? Do you need to record all business miles to support the 70/30 split (or a more appropriate ratio)?

We are not a big company and I put on a lot more miles than the other owners. So, if I decide I want to go in this direction I'll need to convince myself and then the others. Using the example of another small business will probably be helpful.

Thanks very much and I hope this brake fix does it for you.
  • Your company -- and this presumes you have an equity position in the company -- is NOT on the hook for anything. You personally lease the car.

I am not a CPA nor a lawyer -- I have a CPA on staff and my wife is a lawyer. All I know is that owners are treated differently than employees. Hence when my CPA firm (and my internal employee concurred) made the suggestion to have the company pick up a portion of my auto lease (and they suggested a maximum of 80% of the lease payment and they also suggested capping the allowance at $600), I followed their advice. The "partners" in my CPA firm handle their automobiles in just this way.

The check from the company and the personal check are both made out to Audi financial, rather than a company check paid to me. You are always responsible if audited to have what are called contemporaneous logs to back up your percentage claim. Hence, if you drive 15,000 miles a year and can demonstrate that 12,000 were for business you can figure out a percentage. Moreover, if you do not have a second car in the household, it is very difficult to get the percentage of use "up there."

I keep a log book in my car, and I have been audited once and I was glad to have had the book.

BTW the new Audi option TELEMATICS offers the option of keeping your driving log in a computer that is built into the car.

When I had an "auto" allowance, I technically had to receive a 1099 at year end -- more red tape, more hassels, etc -- so the payments do not go to you (unless you're looking for income for whatever reason).

My business is small, too. Depending on demand for consulting services we have from 25 - 60 employees. I used to supply auto allowances to the managers -- one year my CPA firm told me that I would have to 1099 the people -- which meant they had to do more work from a tax perspective. I asked the employees if they wanted 1099's they said no -- so I gave the employees a $6000 raise and called it auto allowance -- they then do what they feel is appropriate to legally reduce their tax liabilities. If you have multiple owners and you drive more, you should have a higher percentage than the other owners (in an ideal world).

My assumption is that you may want an A6 4.2 and that your co owners may want something that would be either more or less than this. Pick a number that is defensible if you are audited. If the number is 80% not to exceed $600 -- so be it. If you lease a $600 car, you will have $480 a month paid by the company. If you lease a $1000/mo car your company will pay $600.

Please check with your tax professional -- my suggestion a CPA who is a lawyer or a lawyer who has a CPA. You will get the best advice from them, not me.

I used Grant Thornton to start out this process, then when the partner left the firm to form his own firm I went with him. I have been pleased with the suggestions made and so have my employees. We all want to reduce taxes, legally. Your tax professional probably knows why owners in Corporations are "different" than employees. I'll give you one last example, at year end I have to take my bonus by 12/31 -- yet my employees can have their bonuses reported but not paid until January for example. I do not know all the what's and why's -- I just know that there are tax consequences that effect me differently.

I hope this is of some small help.

Finally, my CPA says never ever ever buy a car. And, buying a car in a small company of course means that it must go on the balance sheet -- and since cars rapidly lose value, their worth as an asset is dubious.

Buy what appreciates, rent what depreciates and expense the rent payments. This is the gist of my accountant's message.

So, I lease my cars and I bougth the building my company is housed in. And, my building is company A and my services business is company B and B pays the rent to A.

And, on the brake issue -- two days not quite 100 miles and the brakes get better every time
    I apply them. The real test will be when I get over 200 miles on them. They sure look cool with the holes drilled in them, though -- I must be a closet "motor head."
  • Have had my A-6 in shop twice in Houston since I picked it up in June. Fit & finish items: LED behind dash vent and rear ash tray lid (think the kids had a hand in the latter). Once to have checked out and order parts, second to replace. Both times apt. was one week out with loaner cars readily available. Also had oil sensor warning light on first trip in (trash in sensor), which was replaced from stock.
  • Mark,

Thank you, once again, for being so generous. I did not want to use you as an unpaid accountant/tax advisor, but rather as an example I could present to our accounting firm. Since you have blazed a trail, I wanted to make sure our accountants would consider it.

I am aware of restrictions on "highly-paid" owners/officers concerning retirement accounts, etc. It is not obvious to me why each employee could not have a capped allowance just like an owner; I'll see if I can find out why. BTW, we have our fiscal year end Jan 31 so we can take bonuses on either side of Jan 1, depending on tax implications.

<< I hope this is of some small help>>
    No, this is of GREAT help. Thank you.

<<Finally, my CPA says never ever ever buy a car.>>
    I know some people who buy a 4 or 5 year old car and keep it for another 6+ years. They think this is the least expensive way to drive a car they like. Of course, you don't get the latest technology this way.

I happened to be going past an Audi dealer mid-morning today and decided to stop in. The salesman gave me a 2002 brochure that he says just came in yesterday. I was also able to see and sit in a 2002 3.0, one of two on the lot. No other 2002s on the lot. Disappointed to see the Cashmere Gray is not available for 2002, but I'm sure I can find another color.

Thanks so much,
    Greg
  • We each have our passions, our values, etc. Speaking only for one person (well, OK 2, I'll include my wife) -- I have no concept of any satisfaction, joy, passion or reward (other than low cost) that I can even imagine could come from "buying" a five year old car and keeping it 6 years. Now, a classic car -- the first or second year of the T-bird or something like that, well maybe. But seriously, it never even occured to me to consider buying a old car, even if it was "an oldie but goodie."

I believe new technology makes cars safter, cleaner and "more fun" (better performing). One of my dearest friends used to say he'd never pay more than $1,500 for a car -- he has a '72 Buick LeSabre. He probably has a bigger bank account than I. You can't take it with you so I've heard. And, while we're into platitudes, "life's too short to drive boring cars" (or to drink cheap beer).

My mom always said "to each his (or her) own!"

Mark
  • This is listed as an option in the Premium package for 2002. What is this; I presume it may be a warning if the car is backing up and something is close to the rear bumper? Was it available in prior years?
  • Has been around in the us for at least 2 previous years -- this will be year three. On A8's you can get front parktronic too. In Europe front is avail on A6's -- who know's why some options are American only.

I have it on my 2001 A6 4.2 -- I thought it was kinda hokey at first, but I wanted the sat nav and they came as a set -- now, especially in tight underground, dark parking garages, it is quite handy. I don't think I would reject a car without it, but I certainly would prefer having it over not.

It has "saved my bumper" at least twice in 10 months.
  • As noted earlier in this forum, Audi is currently offering a lease special on the 4.2 for 39 mos., $3099 down, $599/month, 15k mileage. I believe the interest rate is 2.9% (or money factor, is it?). However, my dealer has discounted the 4.2 to $47,450--does this change my position? In other words, can I negotiate a better deal than the lease special given the current interest rate and discounted cost? Thanks. I am dying to get this vehicle.