Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• mlbaron27mlbaron27 Posts: 3
    Okay I know I'm a woman and for some reason that make the service department think I don't know anything about my car.. Well the transmission is slaming into gears and the check engine light came on that's the first time with only 155 miles. The second time we had all five of our children in the car the check engine light came on and they said to drive the car so we did. But then the over drive light was on and the check engine light,but the over drive light was flashing.. 400 miles .. So know the MPV is at the dealership again.. Funny thing is we used to own a ford windstar and we traded it in for the MPV.. Our rental car is a ford windstar.. thanks for listening any advice please... Melissa
  • lsinclsinc Posts: 270
    Ok, I went out today and it was around 80 degrees outside. Great day! But anyway, the vent was fine. It was blowing the hot air from outside because that's what the air was "hot". In any event, I reached under the steering column and no hot air. I then proceeded to turn on the a/c. I'm a whimp and hate to sweat! =o )

Lsinc
  • glideslopesglideslopes Posts: 431
    They do make a real nice Oil Filter. Filtration down to 15 microns, and 12gpm flow rate. Was the top filter in Bob's most recent tests.

Mark.
  • scott31scott31 Posts: 280
    We just got our MPV in late Feb, and the check engine light came on last week. They said it was the throttle linkage sensor, and they (Mazda) knew all about it. I didn't want to drive the van with the light on. Roadside assistance took great care of us.
  • bill124bill124 Posts: 242
    My three year old thinks it's fun to climb up on the back of the MPV and pull the rear windshield wiper down so that it is pointing down. Problem is now the windshield wiper doesn't turn. Seems to have no tension. Any suggestions on how to get it to work again that don't involve bringing it back to the dealer would be appreciated. I think the motor is running but the arm doesn't move.
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    You may try tightening the nut that holds the wiper arm on. Just lift the small cover off of the wiper arm, near its base, and you'll find a small nut. IIRC, it's a 10 or 11mm nut.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    try duct tape...

For the MPV, try what doc said.
  • kdt82002kdt82002 Posts: 2
    I put a CD into my 03 MPV radio and there were moments when the sound repeatedly went dead silent for a few seconds and then the music came back. Thought it might be a bad CD so I turned on the radio and it had the same problem. Moments later the sound was coming out of the left speaker only and then the right speaker only. Then the front speakers went dead and only the back speakers worked. And I did not make any adjustments(fader, balance, volume) to the radio when it was acting strange. After 10 minutes of this malfuction, the radio/cd player worked fine again and has been working fine ever since. Can anyone explain what happened? Could it be some kind of radio interference? Loose wire?
  • jolly2jolly2 Posts: 17
    My MPV still has a sulfur smell that's as bad as ever with 12,000 miles,and probably won't ever go away. I'm thinking of taking a loss on it and trading it in (if anybody will take it) after only owning it a year. Beware potential MPV buyers.
    12,000 miles on our 02 LX. Never had the smell.

Mark.
    My MPV has been fine. No sulfur smell. Sorry you're having problems. Other then the smell does it run ok? Have you had any mechanical issues with it?

Just curious.

Lsinc
    Don't forget that the sulfur smell is not unique to the MPV, as many cars exhibit this 'feature' nowadays. I still blame it mainly on fuel, and you could probably graph complaints of the smell by geographic region, the worst being California.

Just my 2cents.

/Java
  • prlamzprlamz Posts: 78
    At the risk of contradicting the coffee addict from the frozen North, California is not one of the states involved with the smell problem. The imported oil of choice here is Iraqui, because it's very low in sulfur to begin with.
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Posts: 278
    Ok, I can't handle this heat thing any longer!
    I'm taking it in to see what's the deal. I did the recirc trick and it helped a little. But I drove 10 miles today in 80 degree heat with the moonroof open, windows down and heat blasting out of the side dash vents ALL THE WAY! How long does it take to clear out the heat in the ducts??? This sounds lame to me. Why is Mazda the only one that has this issue? All cars get hot under the hood.

Heck, I've had cars with no AC and they cleared out to outside temp within a minute or so.

Posted 24.5MPG on a 600 mile romp this past weekend...pretty loaded down too...a positive thing!!

Yeah, the lap thing sounded kinky...but it's another story for another thread I guess;-))
    Oh, I didn't type what I meant to type.. thank you for catching my goof. I was meaning that Cali is regarded to have the worst swill, but didn't mean that to say that it would represent the worst smell issue. I'm tasting my Sketchers right now. ;)
    All kinky stuff aside........;o ) (Wonder if I should start a discussion on that?) Only kidding Steve!! :o )

I am totally perplexed on your "heat" issue? When you run the a/c does it still come out hot? Do you have the 4 Season Pckg.? I'm assuming the answer is yes to the latter considering you live in a warmer area. My MPV doesn't have the issue to the degree (no pun intended) that your's does.

Keep us posted on how you make out at the dealer. Oh and if you should be having warm, rain free weather, could you send some my way? I'm sooooooooo sick of this rain! I may need to trade my MPV in for a boat! LOL!

Good Luck!

Lsinc
    Oh coffee addict from the frigid north....... ;) how do thy Sketcher's taste?

I go now! :)

Lsinc
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Posts: 278
    When I use the AC, it works great!
    Just when I have the thermo dial to the coolest position, no fan on, vent set to ANY position....and then I play with the recirc button to no avail.

We'll be taking her in on Friday. Suppose to stay around 80 here for a bit. We have been having our wettest May in many years here too...but it's been drying out lately.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I usually run the A/C to clear the heat out of the vents for a minute or two and then just set it back to vent. I haven't had the trouble you have.
    I'm not so sure. I was out there on a four day hop two weeks ago, and I noticed an odor?
This discussion has been closed.