Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

1137138139140141143»

Comments

• bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,027
    What is the history of the preventive maintenance done on this tranny? If you haven't been getting the tranny completely flushed about every 30K miles, then it's probably toast. Auto trannies don't hold up well if the fluid isn't completely changed out once in a while. Draining doesn't count as that only drains about 1/3 of the fluid.
  • We've had it for 4 years and had it flushed a year ago. Otherwise, I really don't know the history.

We did drain and replace the fluid today along with a new filter. The fluid is either still bad ( the 1/3rd thing) or it's being burned incredibly fast.

it drove the same and the fluid is toasted.

Thanks,
    Lee
  • btw it's an "allsport" 4wd.
    ....was the drained fluid?
  • "the fluid is toasted" BLACK. even after drain and filter replacement.
    ...but it sounds like your tranny is fried. Tranny fluid can still be pink and be bad, but black fluid is definitely not a good sign. If you have a mecahnic look at it I'm sure he'll tell you the same thing.
  • I bought a 96 model and had the exact same problem. When you slightly pushed on the gas it would jerk very bad but if I floored the accelerator it would really go without a problem. I had the spark plugs and wires replaced numerous times with no success. I replaced the distributor cap and rotor thinking it was having a misfire problem. The shop I kept taking it to continually blamed the injector's and I eventually had the injector's cleaned with no success. I then took it to another shop and they told me it was the distributor. I had it replaced and the van now drives very smoothly without jerking.
  • If the click noise is coming from the dash/steering column area it is a pin that is being released that allows you to shift out of park. It is a safety feature to keep, mostly kids, from accidentally shifting out of park without your foot on the brake pedal. try pushing on the brake at initial startup but do not take out of park. release the brake pedal and the depress the pedal again and it will probably make the same noise. If it does, it is a safety feature and nothing to be concerned about.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    Alright, who can help me figure out what a "system too lean bank 2" code means, or a "fuel air meter" code?

Gotta keep the DW happy, she doesn't like dash lights coming on. '02 MPV LX.

John
  • OK, so last month my husband and I mailed a letter to Mazda detailing all our issues with our '03 MPV. A Customer Mediator from Mazda called and said they would investigate our concerns. In my letter I stated our past and current issues with the car: check engine light issues that started first week of ownership, radiator that had to be replaced a month into ownership, sunroof leak that required replacement of "rotted" insulation, CD player broke and had to be completely replaced, loud ticking in engine that required 5 trips to repair, constant clanking brake noise mechanic claims is the brake shims but we would have to pay for new brakes (!) -- and that's the major stuff.

So i got an email back yesterday. They claim many of the problems we experienced initally were due to an aftermarket alarm system we had installed after purchase (however, note that it the MPV did not have an alarm system for us to purchase, and we had to disconnect it within two weeks at our cost to enable us to keep our warranty.

She also wrote "Additional repairs that were completed on your vehicle did not impair the use, value, or safety of your vehicle." HOWEVER, when we took it in to mazda service the last time to get the CD player replaced, the mechanics gave us our car back with a SPEAKER out! I called on the way home and the repair shop told me they couldn't look at it and to make another appointment to bring it back in. That's when I lost it with Mazda!

So Mazda writes: "As it is our understanding that your vehicle is currently operating to manufacturer’s standards, Mazda does not believe you are entitled to a replacement or repurchase as you requested in your letter to MNAO. However, as I can understand any repairs are frustrating, I would like to offer you an extended warranty contract due to the inconvenience of you having to bring your vehicle in for prior repairs."

I'm ready to fight this some more -- I still can go through the Connecticut Lemon Law arbitration -- but is it worth it? Am I wasting my time? Any advice appreciated, thanks for reading if you got this far!
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    All those repairs did impair the use of your MPV... you didn't have it as it was in the shop for repairs quite a bit correct? A lot of lemon laws indicate how many days a vehicle can be kept worked on at dealership before a lemon law applies. I would check your specific state lemon law. Should have been included in your owners manual.

Whether it is worth it or not would be up to you after collecting all your information. Some say it is a major pain and wouldn't do it again... others say it was worth it.

You state they offered you an extended warranty... how long and for how much money? Or, was it offered for free? If you haven't required repairs recently I would be inclined to keep it. If it's been problem after problem, I would want to get rid of it. Good luck.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Hi, folks,

You've probably noticed new discussions appearing all over the forums. What's happening is that we are closing generic, everything-in-one pile discussions like this and creating smaller discussions that deal with specific areas of interest. You'll find a number of discussions listed at the top level of this group: Mazda MPV

When you're ready to post, please check the discussion list there for the appropriate discussion to post in. If you don't see a discussion that fits your question or problem, feel free to create one. We can deal with accidental duplication of topics as things progress.

While you're at the top-level, don't forget to click on "Track This Group". That way, you'll be able to track all of the discussions that are already here, as well as any new ones as they are created.

Using the "Read New Posts" link will mean you won't miss anything on the MPV board. If you see a discussion that doesn't interest you, all you have to do is click on the "Remove Track" link within the discussion.

Thanks for your understaning and help in making this group a great resource of information for MPV owners!

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

This discussion has been closed.