Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    How long has it had this problem? Does your vehicle have rear heat? Mazda has put out some TSB's(Technical Service Bulletins)reguarding lack of heat.
  • I have 97 MPV 4x4 with 170,000 kms. So far so good. Live in Canada, cold. The only thing I have noticed is that my self adjusting shocks went last week. Do you know about replacement?
    Mirek
  • I have 97 MPV, and I have that misfire (according to the code reader I bought) on the cylinder 1. But this is minor and sometimes goes away with warma up
    Mirekski
  • rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    Rizo mentioned a burning smell from under the hood. This happened to our 2004 MPV ES a couple of weeks ago, but it only happened one time, right after I changed the oil (interesting). Anyway, we haven't noticed it since. The smell was sort of like combination of hot brake smell and overcooked electronics. We haven't noticed anything wrong with the vehicle.
  • I have had many instances of my Mazda MPV 1997 model not being able to start. Have had to have it towed in several times and by the time it got to the garage it started just fine. Have replaced everything but the computer and still no luck. However, we were finally told to add upper cylinder cleaner to the gas tank and run a tank of high octane gas every third time or so.
     It is now on its third week of starting, with no problems. However, its done this before. I won't agree that its fixed until it's OK for three more weeks. It does seem to run much better though. My uneducated guess is that some sensor was cleaned and now it might work.
    Interested in other experiences, but bought a Ford in the meantime as a backup.
  • Don't buy if driving in snow or ice is part of your yearly routine. Had a 1994 with rear wheel drive and had to be towed from my driveway. Also, our babysitters refused to drive it in winter. Loved the Mazda though and ended up buying two more with four wheel drive to solve the problem. We're in Chicago area.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Go ahead and buy that MPV if driving in snow or ice. Front wheel drive with traction control is all you'll likely need....come with 16 or 17 inch tires. MPV is very popular in Canada.
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Posts: 278
    Yes, my MPV has the 4 season package and rear heat and AC.
    How long ago did THAT bulletin come out? Man, you've got to stay up on all these 'secret' issues on this vehicle!!
    Thanks, Tom
    I had read that someone had replaced the cabin air filter themselves. If they are on this thread, please explain how much was involved in doing it yourself. I know the filter is $27 at the Mazda dealer and it's located behind the glove box....

Also, how often is the tranny fluid suppose to be changed? The manual does not state anything on this issue and the dealer said around 50000 miles!
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Calling all MPV owners... every Tuesday we have have a chat based on a Mazda platform (although we do tend to wander to all kinds of subjects) where you can meet and greet your fellow forum members. Hope to see YOU thre tonight!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• I have exactly same problem. Can you tell me more detail to fix it? Thanks!
    Dunlop tires that come on the MPV's suck.
    They only last 30K miles and then go bald. Notorious for this. I replaced with Bridgstone Turanza's and they have GREAT traction in snow and water. Ride nice too!

Heater thing, not sure yet. Need to chat with my 'friendly boys' at the Mazda place.

Still waiting for someone to reply on how to replace that cabin filter thing behind the glove box....?
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    I've seen instructions for replacing the cabin filter elsewhere on the 'net. Unfortunately, Edmunds doesn't allow linking to that club forum, so I'll do my best to explain it (and without pictures that it has).

Open glovebox. Locate and remove numerous screws for glovebox. Remove glovebox. Filter is against the firewall on the right. Locate the tab on the filter door and pry it open. Remove used filter media and replace with the appropriate one (either a 2 piece unit or a 1 piece filter). Reverse process to reassemble.

And yes, the tires are not the greatest. But, FWD and being a minivan does take it's toll on tires.

-Brian
  • We also have a 2004 MPV with under 6k and have experienced very rough shifting but no failure. Took it in and the dealer said there was a recall (not sure if he meant bulletin or really a recall) MSPO3 for 'transmission shift shock'. The fix was just to re-flash the tranny control module. I pick it up today and will see if its any better. But you might want to look into this.
    Regards, Terry
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    it's not a recall, but a TSB for reflashing the TCM. I've read that this seems to address the issue. Our '02 hasn't had the issue though, fwiw.

-Brian
    That is old news and has been an issue on this board since the 03's came out. I had mine reflashed several times before the official reflash came out in Jan. of this year. Mine has been fine since. The 03-04 MPV's have been notorious for the tranny problems. At least they finally have a fix. I waited 9 months for the real deal until last Jan.
  • The accelerator pedal on our 2001 MPV LX (with 40k miles) has been "sticky" for a few months now. The problem seems to go away after it warms up, but it's a continuing problem. Anyone else having this problem, and have a fix?
  • Trussville Mazda mazda has free shipping till the Dec/25/04 and they have these cabin air filters for under $20 for 00-04 models. They are not all on their website, so you will have to call them. Get ready your VIN when you call them as there was mid year change on 02s in the filter shape. I ordered two from them and also set of rear and front mudguards as their price is cheapest you can find, I hope to install those mud guards before our upcomming trip to the snow areas. ;-)
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    After a bit of a software snafu last week, we'll try to get a harder count on how many of you are coming to the Philadelphia Auto Show on Feb 5th and 6th (that's the first weekend of the show) so we can figure out how many goodies we might need! So stop in at one of the chats this week and let us know!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA chat is on TONIGHT. Stop in for a holiday visit! Check out the schedule

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• Did you ever find a cure for the moaning? Mine just started last month.
This discussion has been closed.