Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    Arther Anderson doesn't/didn't have many oil clients. Deloitte & Touche and KPMG do . It's a conspiracy against (content...) MPV owners and our mpg ratings I tell you!

/j
  • mazda_guymazda_guy Posts: 183
    Hi you all,

I am glad to report that the smell is gone. By javadoc advise I changed the gas station and most likely that did it. I have now 750 miles on the odometer and for past week I didn't smell any rotten eggs. I almost used to this smell and I sort of miss it now :-) By any chance does anyone know if they make air frashner with rotten eggs scent?

MB
  • alexv1nalexv1n Posts: 248
    Why look for a freshener that immitates rotten egg smell? Why not just get an egg, put it in the glove box and in a week you have the real thing... And it must be much cheaper... lol
    You foiled my plan to get rich off of mazda_guy! Curses! I was all set to market my new "rotten egg" air freshener, followed up by sweaty gym sock and the grand finale.... pampers (ahem)!

/j
  • alexv1nalexv1n Posts: 248
    Your pampers idea reminded me of one thing. Some time ago in a store I saw a roll of toilet paper with label on it saying "Toliet paper. Clean". I just wondered who would need "used" toilet paper? Now I think I can understand :-)
    I should add (a bit of cya) that I was in no way promoting my products in my previous post for or against my own personal gain. Heheheheh, I'm evil when I have too much java.

Alex, very funny!

/j
    Alex, when I place an egg in my glove compartment should I place it in one piece or first crush it?

Javadoc, you are bad.... I wan't eat dinner tonight :-))

MB
  • bob57bob57 Posts: 302
    Java:
    Canceling my trip for the smoked salmon....
  • You mean you're NOT supposed to keep eggs in the glove compartment? Geez, that explains so much!

RJ
    ...just STINKS!!!! come on, you knew that was coming!

All this effort trying to figure out what smells rotten in McKinley-mark and it's a carton of AA Large? ROFL

/java-snuck-the-content-in-anyway-doc
    Maybe you're right - dump the MPV headings entirely. The MPV board should all move to AOL Instant Messenger so we wouldn't clutter Edmunds so much with all these "problems".

Has anyone noticed a small draft somewhere around the key slot or slightly above when all A/C & heat is off?
    Not major (or even minor) but refraining from the "other" :)) problem...
    I think AIM'ing would decrease revenues from advertisers. Besides, if you thought I was unproductive now, think about if there were a rubust community of MPVers IMing each other all day! Maybe I should hire an assistant if that happens? hahaha Besides.. real geeks use ICQ

I've felt these small drafts in just about every car before... but mostly where the door opening lever was on the door, not around the ignition key (that's where you're talking about, right?)

/javadoc
    Yes, around the ignition key - real slight. Feel funny about posting that but only content I could come up with. Doesn't really bother me except when that JAVA cold air comes to us South Texas boys.
    That does bring up something else - ever try to put the key in there in a hurry? The very first time I ever started it my forehead was laying on the dash with the shift lever in my eye looking for the ignition switch. They hid that slot pretty well.

My daughter is almost at the age to start driving now (panic). The school wants a million dollars (or about) to have their driver training classes for each student. We decided I would start her myself with lessons in the MPV. I'm using it as a con at the moment - posting a sign on the dash that says "All underaged drivers must wash the van once a week".
    Why can't they put the key in the correct place, on the LEFT side of the steering column, on the dash, like real (Porsche 911) cars?!? Or better yet, between the seats like other real (Saabs) cars? lol! Isn't the key spot lit? Maybe it's to reduce DUIs because it's more difficult to find the ignition?

I'll have to pay attention to see if there's a draft by the key hole. I'll point the weather machine down there to the THIRD largest state in the union (if you cut Alaska in half) so you can test the draft out again.

/j
  • kkcymrukkcymru Posts: 48
    I know I'm about a week late in responding to a couple posts here, but I don't feel the least bit guilty about rejecting the previous engine based on third party reviews and a limited test drive. Sure, I would have preferred a month long test drive to see how I really felt about the 2001 MPV engine, but hard as it may be to believe, no one was offering that option.

Would I have felt better if I had shelled out $25,000+, and then found I really didn't like the engine? I don't think so.

The cost of certainty was too high. Sometimes it's better to learn from other people's experience. The reviews were consistent enough, at least among those who don't love every car they review, to be taken seriously. Could I have been wrong? Maybe, but I'm glad I waited for the 2002. Given a similar situation in the future, I'd still value the opinion of some of the people that review cars for a living.
  • does anyone know anyone in the los angeles area that rents mpvs. i would like to rent one for a weekend before i buy.
    thanks
    Hertz rents MPVs out of John Wayne Airport, but when I tried (last year) they were out when I showed up at the airport. Your best bet is to call them and see.

/java
    (Dramatization warning!)

My wife came home last night... DW=Darling Wife; DH=Devilishly Handsome, ahem, Darling Husband. Names changed to protect the innocent.

DW: Did you fix that clunk?
    DH: (mutes TV) What clunk?
    DW: The clunk I told you about.
    DH: Uh-huh (not really listening, as usual)
    DW: Well, I still hear it, so you didn't fix it.
    DH: Are you sure? I remember tightening the bolt.
    DW: Well, there's definitely a clunk.
    DH: Did you remove the stroller and see still hear it?
    DW: (Awkward silence...)
    DH: Uh-huh (resumes watching WRC on SpeedChannel)

Can anyone help me with my "Problem?" LOL! Is that problem enough, RJ? :-)

/j
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,441
    I could have sworn I just heard a clunk all the way down here.

Sounded surprisingly like a vase clunking against someone's head....
    Hard to tell though - some guy was ringing my doorbell with a load of pizza's at the same time.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

At least you got pizza - all I got was cold air..
    :))
  • ROFLMAO!
    I guess, for lack of the real thing--and there seems to be a lot of lack of the real thing--it's gonna have to do, for now.

RJ

BTW [reqcon]The driver's side window is beginning to rattle when it's part way open. Quel Horreur!
    I am afraid this message group is likely go to the archive grave because of the lack of problems with Mazda MPV.

MB
    If that's the case, hang on for a second while I put a screwdriver in one of the van's tires...

...Hey, I've got this problem with a flat tire... and all these empty Pizza boxes...

They archived our other 'off topic' thread, pray they don't do it again. ;-)

/j
  • wasn't so good though I don't really recall any problem postings since the consolidation. Actually, I think all this inactivity says a lot about the MPV, but I'll share here anyway .

I noticed this a few weeks ago - a popping noise from the steering rack while I am backing into the driveway, wheels turned hard left. There's only one pop and it happens the moment the van starts to move backwards. Since my '01 LX seems to have a lot of the same issues as the '00 (being built in Aug. '00), I have been pondering pushing the dealer on the tie-rod TSB. Should I mess with it? I wonder if it would be best to leave the rack alone if I only have the popping under this one circumstance. You know, the 'old sleeping dog theory. But if there were even an inkling of a safety concern, I'd get it done.

java, was that the MPV owner's club board you're referring to? We should go dig that up! I'd like a not-so-off topic (but OT ok) place to post. BTW, I'm sending you an ICQ invite. My handle's a little strange; you'll know it's me (HSM)!

SC
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    There is a bulletin for brakes on that one. It's a matter of adding hardware that prevents pad clunk. Not a safety issue, but it can be annoying.
  • You're right. The MPV is in the shop getting that one done now. That's the TSB involving the shims, correct? What I was talking about is definitely NOT the brakes. Do you know the mass-production begin date of the modified tie-rod end? Another possiblity could be a loose strut, I suppose.

It only happens when I do this:
    #1. Come to a complete stop.
    #2. Brakes on-throw into reverse (and yes, at that point, the front pads clunk as they have for months).
    #3. Turn wheels all the way left.
    #4. Let off brakes and accelerate backwards.
    #5. POP!
    After reading your actions in numbers 1 through 5 above - what destruction derby was that in?
    :))
    Also, that bulletin applies to 2000MY up to VIN JM3LW28**Y0137197.

I guess when you pick it up give it a shot and see what happens.
  • ... has been in my kitchen for the past two months! I've taken down a wall and soffits, built a center island, cut concrete, etc. Phew! I'm taking tonight off! Anyway, hence the reason why I'm constantly backing up into my driveway - to unload that next van-full of homerdpoe goodys.
    ...hence the reason why I'm constantly backing up into my driveway...

Odyssey carry more stuff. Odyssey have room for 4x8 sheet. Odyssey get better miles/gallon on way home from Home Depot.

Honda best car in world.
This discussion has been closed.