Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Refresh my memory please. Who is it that's responsible for the name "MochaVan" ??
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    Well, that would be my d.w.... ;-)

She maintains that is is espresso and soft-drink free. I wonder...

/java
  • Thanks Alex! As usual, your info is correct. My van was built Aug. '00 just prior to the change in mass production in Sept. I was able to verify this Friday and was given the same two part numbers that were listed in your post. The dealer claims to have replaced "every part imaginable" to fix this, but it was discovered that they have never replaced these two parts. They are on order now and, I hope, will be the silver bullet to finally put this ordeal to rest. I would recommend that you include this info in the TSB area of your website, because I can definitely vouch that this was a big problem for me! No amount of WD40 would work, nor have any of the dealer's fixes. It's amazing how something so simple in function can wreak havoc on a vehicle's operation!

SC - still fuming, but starting to cool off
  • alexv1nalexv1n Posts: 248
    Ok, I have posted all the info I have on issues like sticking fuel door on the MPV web site. It's in the Info section of http://www.vakcer.com/mpv/ (Problem Repair Information Notices). I hope it helps.
  • brmudabrmuda Posts: 50
    I had the brake "fix" (installed front brake pad shims & replaced pad retainer clips) applied afew mos ago. It was supposed to eliminate the "clunk" coming from fr brakes.

Well, the "clunk" is still present (even immediately after the "fix"). Now the Mrs informs me that the ABS dash light came on yesterday during her drive to the office. Later the same day, the light goes out & hasn't come back on yet.

Taking it to dealer tomorrow to check out the ABS light. When I mentioned the infamous "clunk" (which sounds like it's coming from BOTH fr & rear at times) to service dept, he said there's a another "fix" they're going to apply which totally replaces fr brake parts. We shall see.

I will keep you all updated.

brmuda
  • I have the same problem with brakes. I have had it fixed twice and the noise is still there. I also have another noise in the front end that has been fixed once and is still there. Mazda is suppose to have a fix for both noises, we'll see. One question for the group, has any one had any problems with the paint chipping on there Vans like doors,hood,front bumper,anywhere?? Excessive chips is what I'm talking about here. JL
  • pjd58pjd58 Posts: 366
    We have had our MPV for 10 months and have approx. 15 very small chips on our hood. The paint on the MPV, IMO, is very fragile. Our doors and bumpers are perfect. My Wife's tailgating on freeways doesn't help either. I have had my 01 Protege for 5 months and have zero hood chips.

Next time I take the van in for service, I'm going to see if Mazda will repaint our hood.

Pjd58
  • Its a battle to get them to paint your hood, Remember to have the fenders blended in. You will notice if not. My story coming at a later date.
  • pjd58pjd58 Posts: 366
    I've purchased 5 Mazdas in the last 10 years and 4 of them from the same dealership, let's see if they go to bat for me.

A 10 month old van shouldn't have 15 chips on the hood, it is definitely a defect.
    Pjd58
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    Wow guys! The only chips I've got are from inconsiderate folks in parking lots, along the sides of the van. I would have thought with the crud they put on our road here that I would have all kinds, but the front of my van is chip-free.

Good luck Pj at the dealership! I should imagine that some dealers will work w/you, esp. if you've been loyal, just like you have.

/java
  • bob57bob57 Posts: 302
    I get the chips from inadvertently getting behind one of the three million 18 wheelers doing 80 in Houston. I just love it when all of a sudden it sounds like you are in a hail storm.
    You should see my windshield!
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I haven't had chips on any of our MPVs: Red, Silver and White.
  • A year on "the Prez," including two salty winters, and no chips on the hood. Sounds like you've got a defective paint job there, pj. Good luck with your dealer. Here's where you find out just how much he values loyalty.

RJ
  • My inquiry about paint chips is a rarity, except pj. My van is loaded with paint chips hood/bumper plus all over. I drive on normal roads myself. The color is red and primer white, so you see all kinds of white chips on the red! The dealer already painted my doors from paint chips, but are claiming normal wear on the hood/bumper. I went to 2 body shops that said bad paint job on the Van, for a 2000 Van. My insurance company is involved and said bad paint job. I am in the middle of dealing with this matter with Mazda Corp. Any suggestions are welcome. JL
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Push as hard as possible to get an appointment with the Mazda service rep. Once you have an appointment, make sure you have somebody there that knows paint and is on your side. The Mazda rep will throw a few things out that would leave most people dumbfounded, but they are no paint experts. Keep pushing for a complete re-paint and be sure to document everything anybody has to say about it.
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I wish I had that suggestion a couple of weeks ago. I will the next meeting guarantee. I have already met with the Mazda Rep. once. Your exactly right on the Mazda Rep. He tried to throw out my case on the chips Thats why I got my insurance company involved. They are in the process of dealing with the case for me. Mazda has since agreed to pay half of the bill, NOT good enough to me. I will keep pushing because I'm right and they know it. They thought I would just drop it, FAT chance. Thanks for the support and any other suggestions! This was a good learning experience for me. Hey Room Maltb nailed it on the head about dealing with these people.
  • Hi all. We got our 2000 DX in Feb 2000. Generally we love this van.

We have had a number of front-end problems though and was hoping somebody could give us the benefit of experience in what Mazda will/should do:

-Alignment done under warrenty at 18,000km (~10,000 miles)

- At 25,000km (~16,000 miles) Mazda replaced front rotors free as they were severely vibrating when braking.

- Now, at 38,000 km (25,000 miles) they are starting to deteriorate rapidly again.

Car is very well treated!! Any suggestions?
  • john339john339 Posts: 229
    I'm looking for a used minivan. Are there any model year MPVs that are better or worse than the other in term of problems? Has anyone had engine problems like the Toyota Sienna is experiencing?
  • We've had our '01 MPV for close to six months and have had zero engine problems. I've read through these boards for almost as long and was pleasantly surprised to discover that the Duratec engine has proven very reliable. It was also used in the Contour/Tracer.

Sorry, I don't know much about other MPV's prior to 2000 (when the design changed). Actually, this is our first minivan. If you want used, the '00 & '01 may be hard to find. I just did a quick search of eBay and AutoNation and found nothing, at least in my area. Try your local Mazda dealer(s). They might also still have some new '01 MPV's and I bet you could get a really good deal.

SC
  • evaddaveevaddave Posts: 156
    Over on the Solara board there has been a lot of discussion about the engine sludge problem (the Solara shares the same engine). It seems that the problem is mostly due to poor/shoddy maintenance. About 0.1% of the Siennas are coming in with this problem, which is about the same as other makes and models, and all of the engines with the sludge show signs of no maintenance or poorly performed maintenance, and some owners have brought fraudulent receipts claiming to have performed the maintenance.

In our experience with our '00 MPV, we have had no engine problems, much like scarter already mentioned. It seems to be a very reliable engine.
This discussion has been closed.