Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• I added the wood dash trim to my 99 ES and it looks great after 5 years. It did bleach out (lighten) from the sun but it is real wood. Do not buy from discount or EBay sites as some of them sell seconds which will have thin edges and will not fit well. Do a search for Wood Dash Kits and good luck.
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    I think you can trust that if you buy the Avids or the Pirelli's; you'll be getting a good tire. Although the HydroEdge might not be for you--the Goodyear Aquatred 3 is reported to be a good tire. And if memory serves it's not more expensive than the Allegras.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,594
    my 'Trep is going to hit the 90,000 mile mark soon, but I won't be there to see it! :-( My roommate's Tracker has to go in the shop, and I'm going to let him borrow it, and I'll just drive one of my old cars.

Dangit, and I wanted to be there to see it, too! I guess I could drive around a bunch to get it to 90K prematurely, but that would be a waste of gas...
  • mike372mike372 Posts: 354
    How come you did not give him one of your other cars so you would see the 90K mark. On the news today, did anyone notice the model car (law enforcement vehicle)the Enron exec came out of. Yep, its the same color and model as yours with the 90K miles.
    lending a 1979 New Yorker to someone who's used to driving a Tracker would be kinda like Lorne Greene handing over the keys to the Battlestar Galactica to Starbuck! (sorry, but that's the quickest analogy I could come up with, and probably dates me ;-)
    was Starbuck the one who ran around the ship in a jogging bra and shorts? Anyway, I catch the drift.
    I forgot about the remake. Now I could see commander Adama letting THAT Starbuck sit on his lap and maybe pilot the Galactica around a bit, but I don't think that would've flown back in the late 70's with Dirk Benedict and Lorne Greene! ;-)
  • It's your comments about the HydroEdge and LH30 that are garbage, not the tires. You may have your own personal reasons for not considering either, but that does not make them bad tires. Speaking from experience, I own them both on LH cars and they are both VERY GOOD tires. You do a disservice to everyone on this board looking for objective information about products for this vehicle.
    Save your personal comments for another board. Some people, including you, are just too aggressive for forums such as Edmunds. All I said about the HyrdoEdge tires is that they did not get the greatest ratings for snow performance. This is not my subjective opinion, its the objective opinion of a well known consumer products magazine. And, Firestone, with all its well publicized problems with its tires, is lucky to still be in business. In fact, I believe they were bought out by another company. Maybe you do not care whether you're riding on tires that blow-out, but some people would rather be riding on other tires.
  • You still don't get it. Have you ever driven HydroEdge or LH 30 tires? You read a magazine review, big deal. I just drove through my first winter on HydroEdge tires and I can vouch from personal experience that they do just fine in the snow. Regarding Firestone, I'm not sure where to begin to correct the misinformation you publish about them. They were bought by Bridgestone in 1989, the highest tech tire company in the world (notice who's been winning F1 every year?) I am not riding on tires that blow out. The LH 30 is one of the best tires on the market with a 70,000 mile warranty, an H speed rating, high treadwear, A traction and A temperature rating. Plus, some of the best technology in the tire industry with their Uni-T construction. The tire you refer to was a cheap OEM tire specified by Ford to keep costs down. It had a C temperature rating. Ford intentionally specified that the tire be underinflated to keep the center of gravity of the roll-prone Explorer down. Further, that vehicle had a very suspect suspension design on the left rear, where all the problems occurred. Do some research on how many "tire failures" and roll-overs that generation Explorer suffered AFTER all the Firestone tires were recalled. Check out the drastically redesigned track, wheelbase, suspension and height of the current generation Explorer. Hmmmm....maybe it wasn't all the tire's fault afterall. My problem with your comments is that they are not based on facts or personal experience and you do readers of this forum a disservice by badmouthing products that are, in reality, very good choices for owners of LH cars.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hey folks, it's certainly possible to post differing opinions without slamming each other ....
    I am not going to waste my time discussing anything with you. You no doubt have a very strong ego and opinions of products you purchase. The only disservice thats obvious here is your aggressive personality that really does not belong on a site such as this. You just turn the users of this site off completely. Happy motoring!
  • jbbw20jbbw20 Posts: 38
    Indydriver: I might be mistaken however I was under the impression this board was for personal opinions therefore I completely support your right to post your thoughts.
    I have used the HydroEdge tires and found them to be an excellent product. The LH30 is produced by the biggest tire manuf. in Japan so they must be doing something right.
    My personal opinion NOTE -MY OPINION- Both the HydroEdge and the LH30 are a far superior product than the LH vehicles that you intend to use them on.
    http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/national/8001801.ht- m
  • smithedsmithed Posts: 444
    Thanks for the backing and that your wood has done well for five years. I am considering ordering from a firm call New York City Dashes. They seem to be offering what I am looking for. I think I'll go with rosewood or Japanese cherry.

ES
    Evening group.. Just thought I'd share a maintenance issue of mine. About two weeks ago, I heard a noise from the front end and didn't follow up on it. Eventually--Saturday--I took it to the garage I use. Turns out that I needed new front brake pads. Luckily when I had the OEM pads replaced, I purchased Bendix pads with a lifetime warranty. Unfortunately, by Saturday I had worn grooves in the rotors and they needed replacing. Moral of the story? What would have amounted to a charge for labor only resulted in labor and new rotors. Still not ridiculously priced at $180, but more than necessary. When those warning strips start squealing--GET YE TO THE GARAGE!
    $180 for brakes AND rotors! I guess there's something to be said for those flimsy, two-piece rotors they use nowadays. Some of those older, bulky, one-piece jobs (I think they still use them on trucks) can easily run well over $100 apiece.

Jason, how many miles did you get out of those Bendix pads? I have Bendix pads up front, that I put on around 69,000 miles, and when I rotated my tires about a month ago, they still had plenty of meat on them.

Oh yeah, my 'Trep hit 90,000 miles yesterday.
    Without checking my maintenance records, I can't be sure. I believe the original pads lasted about 40K and my Bendix pads lasted about 40K. While I hear what you're saying--it's clear that had I acted promptly the rotors would be soldiering on and doing just fine. Right now my 2000 ES has just over 82,000 miles. Since fall of 2002 I've had to put a good deal of highway miles on my car.
        Of particular interest, Andre, was something the service manager said (incidentally this is NOT a Dodge dealership--but a retail "Pep Boys" style shop). He said that I should expect front brake pads to last no more than 20-25K--even the "premium quality" ones I had used. He said that as my car and the braking systems ages, I'll get less life out of the pads.
    that it's still better to catch the brakes before they score the rotors!

Come to think of it, my front pads lasted 39K miles, which I thought was really impressive because of all my stop-and-go pizza delivery driving I did back then. I put on some cheap-o Trak Auto pads that lasted me to about 69K miles, and now have the Bendix pads on. My rear pads lasted to about 51K, when I had my mechanic put on the cheap-o Trak Auto pads that I had bought the same time I had purchased the front ones. They still look fine though, even though they now have about 39K miles on them.

Looking back though, I would've gotten more life out of the OEM front pads, except that one of them was wearing unevenly. Somehow, it had worn to the point that it was just about to start scraping the rotor, but was uneven enough that the wear indicator wasn't rubbing yet!

I might go ahead and replace my front rotors the next time I do the front brakes, because they are a bit warped. If I even keep the car that long, that is. I'm not even putting 1000 miles a month on the car anymore, so I'm guessing (hoping, at least!) that it'll be a long time before I need to put new brakes on the car!
    Frankly, this is the first time I've kept a car this long for this many miles. My ex-wife's car had been around almost 10 years--but it averaged less than 9,000 miles a year. I'm terribly pleased with the maintenance costs for my Intrepid. About 40% of my costs were not necessary--including twice yearly 4 wheel alignments, transmission oil and filter changes, synthetic oil, etc.
        The most frustrating expenditure I made was to fix the fuel filler problem. There was a TSB for it--I felt it should have been a recall. Continued good luck with yours..
    this is the longest, mileage-wise, that I've ever kept a car, too! My next closest would be my '68 Dart, which I drove for about 85,000 miles. It wasn't as reliable as the Intrepid, but those 85,000 miles also came between the 253-338K mile mark on the odometer, so the car had already been through its >ahem< break-in period!

I have had some cars given to me by family members though that were bought new, which have gone many more miles than my Intrepid, but just not under my care.

Hope yours lasts and serves you well, too! Just nine more payments, and mine's all paid for!! Whoo-hoo!