Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• mike372mike372 Posts: 354
    Thanks for the info on the 3.4L engine. I will have to do a little research.
    It definitely had more torque than the 2.7L at a lower RPM which would explain the faster acceleration times. I am more interested in performance at the lower end of the spectrum since I dont drive over 65 mph. I guess I miss the larger displacement engines of my other cars. It took me awhile to get used to the 3.8L TBird engine after driving the 4.9L Pontiac Firebird. So I guess it will take awhile to get used to the 2.7L. But my next car in, maybe another 6-7 years, will have a larger displacement V-6.
  • masonmimasonmi Posts: 148
    Aren't the Concorde's a step above the Intrepid's? even though some Concorde's have the same features as some Intrepid models do?
    I've never driven a Concorde however they seem to be a bit more rounded than the Intrepid, I have to add that my Buick Century was simular to the Buick Regal in which the Regal was a step higher than the Century, Buick quality just isn't there any more, I had squeaks and squeals and brake issues.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,594
    was probably a 2000 model, a base LX. It was trimmed a bit nicer than my '00 Intrepid, and had a few other niceties, such as a power driver's seat, split folding rear seat with armrest and cupholders, lights in the doors, instead of just reflectors, remote entry, etc. I don't know how much of that was standard, versus optional, but I vaguely remember this one having a sticker price of around $24-25K, vs the $20,950 (including freight) sticker price of mine.

It was also a bit bigger inside, despite having the same wheelbase. The way they did it, I think, was to put the back seat a few inches further back than in the Intrepid. This actually seemed to cut into hip room just a bit, as the rear wheel wells now cut into the seat area a bit. And the seat was also tucked back futher between the C-pillars, so it gave you more of a hemmed-in feeling back there than with the Intrepid. The car was a bit longer overall though, with most, if not all, of that extra length going into the trunk. IIRC, the Concorde's trunk is a bit larger than the Intrepid's. The Concorde's rump, while longer than the Intrepid's, does seem to taper off more, so it's narrower. Might actually make it a bit easier to parallel park even thought it's a bit longer, since you don't have a wide rear-end to back in!
    I actually have a power drivers seat, keyless entry and CD player on my 04 Intrepid SE, some SE's didn't have keyless entry or power drivers seats. The Concordes to me look to rounded and egg shaped. I should've taken one for a drive when I was shopping for my Intrepid just to see what they are like on the road in comparison.
    sounds like you got an SE with one of those option packages. Do you also have the alloy wheels? My Intrepid was a pure stripper model, no options whatsoever, although I did get them to throw in a 12 disk cd changer as part of the deal. And then, about 9 months later, after it got broken into, I bought an aftermarket Viper alarm/remote entry for it. I wish I had a power driver's seat. About a year ago, I test-drove a used '02 Intrepid R/T with power seats, and those extra adjustments that raised and lowered the seat made all the difference in the world!

Yesterday I saw something that made me want to go back on my decision to try hanging onto my Intrepid for a few more years. At the Carlisle PA swap meet, a dealer had a '96 Buick Roadmaster, in a dark greenish color reminiscent of the "Magnesium" that Mopar now offers on the Magnum/300, nicely loaded up with leather and other goodies, with 89,000 miles, for $4995. I've always liked big, cushy cars, and while the Roadmaster isn't the most graceful looking beast in the world, the LT-1 350 engine and price were hard to resist! Plus, I figure that soon I'm going to need front pads and rotors, and rear pads, and maybe struts, so maybe it would be a good time to swap, before I start having to sink money into the 'Trep. But then the reality hit me, that I'd be going from a car whose history I know to one I don't, and while that 350 did sound nice, at that age anything could go wrong.

So, I'll probably still be holding onto my Trep for a little while longer!
    Yes my 04 Intrepid does have the Alloy wheels, Im pleased with the option package, the keyless entry is definately a plus, i've gotten so used to not even using a key to open a door or trunk, and the power seat is nice, so much better than the manual seats, and its nice to have a CD player instead of a cassette player. My Intrepid is Onyx Green which has that way of changing with the sunlight at times it will look blueish.
    I do agree the Buick Roadmasters rode very nice very big cushy cars, probably not the best on gas mileage these days.
  • jeromebjeromeb Posts: 31
    I am new to this discussion.

I bought a 2004 Intrepid SE, Butane Blue, 2.7 l V-6, CD, AC, power seats, big honking trunk, in January.
    A few weeks after we got it, we noticed a rattle coming from the front dash area. DC warranty added a foam insert to damp the rattle. What's up with that? Anyway, it doesn't rattle now.

In August we drove it to vacation in the Ozarks of Arkansas. Coming from the plains of North Texas to the Ozarks the first time is to invite death on every hairpin turn. How was I to know that "Slow 25 mph" in a "Speed Limit 55" zone really means "SLOW DOWN IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DIE KNUCKLEHEAD"? I was impressed with my reaction time, and with the car's handling all up in the mountains.

It gets 29 mpg on the 70 mph highways, and 13 mpg on the mostly city driving my wife does.

So much for the Intrepid.

I recently test-drove a Magnum R/T. "Wow" indeed.

We'll see how long the Intrepid lasts. It's a cheap big car for my wife to drive around. I'll be happy as a clam if it gets 120,000 miles without substantial repair and replacement work.
    This compares to her previous vehicle, a 1993 4-cyl. Voyager, which utterly failed to inspire confidence.
    but I just went to the Dodge website, to refresh my memory on the "Onyx Green" on the Intrepid, and they no longer have the Intrepid listed! I guess it had to happen eventually, as they only quit building the things over a year ago, and now it's the 2005 model year.

Still, kind of a sad moment. Maybe we should all bow our head for a moment, and say a few words, for the Intrepid's passing?
    I really like that butane blue color. I had been wishing that they'd offer that color on the Intrepid ever since I started seeing a similar color on the Stratus/Sebring sedans/convertible and the minivans. I think it started showing up on those cars around 2001? When I first saw it as an Intrepid choice, it almost got me tempted enough to trade in for a new one!
  • I have a base model 2000 Dodge Intrepid with 93,000 miles on it. No major problems with it. The car has been very reliable and I am well pleased with it. I hope to drive it another 20 or 30 thousand miles.

As an Arkansan I am glad you vacationed in the Ozarks and had a good time. I also have a 300 M with a 3.5 engine. I can tell a significant difference between the 3.5 in the 300 M and 2.7 in the Intrepid when I travel in the Ozarks.
    a weird looking color, which seems to change appearance depending on the lighting conditions. It almost looks like mine, steel blue, under certain lights. It was offered, I think, in the 2002-2003 model years. The butane blue is a nice color......but I guess I am bias because I really like the steel blue on the Trep. If I can figure out how to post a pic of mine on this site, I will since I finally got a digital camera.
    if you have trouble posting your pic, you can email it to me if you want, and I'll post it for you. I have a website that I can upload it to.
    steel blue metallic color on the Trep, which was discontinued in the 2003 model year.
    Did you buy a bra for the hood area of your Trep. I am thinking of buying one for the front part of the hood but dont know which one to buy. Even with only 14,000 miles on the car the hood is starting to show some chips.
    I never really went for the bra look. I prefer my cars to be liberated and just let 'em hang out for all the world to see! ;-)

And I have the stone chips to prove it, although for having 97,000 miles, I don't think it looks too bad.
    There is an article on AOL's site about the 2006 Dodge Charger, scheduled to debut in Spring '05. According to the article, the Charger was introduced in 1966 with a 426 Cubic inch HEMI, one of the fastest street legal engines ever sold. Expect a 6.1 L HEMI engine in the new Charger to be available in the future. Gee, maybe the 6.1 L will fit under my Intrepid's hood???????????
  • My 2000 Intrepid ES interior lights flicker on and off while driving and they'll sometimes come on and stay on even after the car is locked with my remote as I walk away. Anybody else heard of this??? I don't want to pay dealer 100/hr to spend all day trying to find something! :)
  • tkfitztkfitz Posts: 95
    I would be interested if anyone has changed spark plugs in their car. I have a 2.7 engine. Presume the coils have to be removed but am not sure what else is needed to be done.
    Thanks in advance.
    In response to #2555....check all the door switches.
    at 51,000 miles, but since the mechanic did it, I don't know what all was involved. I'm around 97,000 now. I'm kinda curious myself, as to how hard it is to change them. Looks to me like all you have to do is remove each individual coil pack, but then I've also heard that it's easy to damage the coils, so I dunno if it's something I should try myself.

As for interior lights flickering, my '00 will occasionally do a flicker of both the interior and outside lights. It happens when the electric cooling fan kicks on. As for the lights staying on after you turn off the car and lock the doors, I dunno. Now before I had the Viper put in my Intrepid, it used to have a delay feature. If you turned off the car before you turned off the headlights, the lights would stay on for a few seconds, before finally going off. If you turned off the headlights before killing the ignition, everything just stayed off. Regardless of that though, the Viper turns everything off immediately when I arm it.
    Just wondering how many miles on your car and whether or not you have had any problems with the engine.