Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,848
    in fact, I think in the owner's manual it says to replace the chain and tensioner and guides at 105,000 miles, the same interval as the belt in the 3.2/3.5 models.

However, a few years ago, my mechanic said that as long as I keep the oil level up and don't let it get too low, that it should be fine. I might get a second opinion on that, though!
    Happy anniversary to you
    Happy anniversary to you
    Happy anniverary dear INTREPID!!
    Happy anniversary to you!

It was 5 years ago this day that I brought my Intrepid home. 11/6/1999. Come to think of it, it was even a Saturday!
  • mike372mike372 Posts: 354
    where's the party?!
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    Congratulations........ If memory serves the fifth car anniversary is the "carbon fiber trim" anniversary......or is that the "synthetic oil" anniversary.....can't quite remember. My 2000 ES will have her 5th on the 22nd. She's currently getting a thorough "going over".....most of it preventative in nature--transmission flush, filter and fill, oil change, coolant flush and fill. A clunking started in my right front suspension, which I thought was CV joints-apparently it's tie rod ends and stabilizer bushings. Nothing terribly expensive, just had to order a few smaller parts. Just shy of 103,000 miles...
  • Her speedometer needles sits at the bottom and
    goes up clockwise to the stopper at about 7:00 oclock when accelerating.

Anyone see this before or have any input?

thx

rd
  • masonmimasonmi Posts: 148
    Well i'm trading in my 2004 Intrepid 2.7, ive had several issues that I haven't had my dealership resolve, such as clicking noises in the steering wheel when making turns and suspension noise when going over bumps, since it was a formal rental someone else can have the headache, i'm going for a 2005 Impala.
    Good luck with the Impala. They seem to have better engines than DC vehicles, Chevy was always known for its great engines, with one noteable exception, the mid seventies Vega cars. Keep in touch and let me know how you like the Impala. I test drove one a few years ago, was impressed with the engine but could not stand the looks. As Andre said awhile back, it looks like GM took the nose from a Monte Carlo and spliced it with the rear end of a Celebrity, or something like that?
    Thanks, The Impala does have a plain look to them however i'd rather have plain then the troubles i've had with my Intrepid.
    exactly what I said, but that sounds like it might be close! Still, there's an old saying that goes "Handsome is as handsome does" or something like that.

I'm not a very big fan of the Impala, but I do think they're a decent car for the money. One big issue I used to have about them was the interior, which was just too plasticky. But that was comparing it to my 2000 Intrepid, back before they started de-contenting the 'Trep. I think I still like the 'Trep's interior better, but they're a bit more equal now.

The Impala also felt a bit cramped inside to me, mainly because the high beltline made it feel claustrophobic, and the back seat just felt tight to me, legroom-wise. I fit fine in the driver's seat, though.

I'm guessing the Impala is better in front-seat headroom as well, because my great-aunt just traded her '01 'Trep for one. She has one of those helmet-hair/beehive hairdo's, kind of a taller version of how Betty White used to wear her hair in "Mama's Family". She said that the 'Trep messed with her 'do!

Masonmi, which Impala are you getting? The base 3.4 or the LS 3.8? Or maybe the supercharged SS? My Dad has an '03 Regal LS, with the 200 hp 3.8, and it feels like it has plenty of kick.
    What kind of incentives is GM offering on the 05 Impala? Maybe buy one, get one free?!
    Just the Impala base 3.4 model which has most of the options as the Intrepid did, the 3.8 was a bit out of my price range. I enjoyed the Intrepid for the short time I had it however I must have just had bad luck with mine.
    and keep us posted on the details. I'm curious to hear about how it compares to the Intrepid, and how it holds up. Back when I bought my Intrepid, around the same time a guy in one of my online Mopar clubs bought an Impala. We were going to compare notes, just to see how the cars both held up over time. Unfortunately we lost contact though.
    Just kidding about the 'buy one, get one free'. Chevy makes a pretty good car. Just curious as to how much they offered you on trade-in for the Intrepid. Almost any make vehicle hold their value better that DC cars.
    Motor Trend just named the Chrysler 300 as the car of the year. I wonder how much DC stock M/T owns? Or maybe they could not find a better 'significantly redesigned' vehicle. If DC would improve its quality, maybe, just maybe, I could see it. If I remember correctly, awhile back M/T named the Intrepid R/T as car of the year.
    the Car of the Year was never about reliability or durability. If you check out this link http://motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/cotywinners/ you'll find plenty of cars that ended up being losers in the long run, or cars that are at least easy to make fun of.

A few examples:
    2002 T-bird
    1991 Chevy Caprice Classic LTZ
    1983 AMC Alliance
    1981 Reliant/Aries
    1980 Citation (the most recalled car in history)
    1978 Omni/Horizon
    1976 Aspen/Volare
    1974 Mustang II
    1971 Chevy Vega
    1960 Chevy Corvair

Usually the car of the year ends up going to whichever car they deem the most significant at that time. And it's limited to all-new cars, which could very well exclude some much superior cars. For instance, in 1971, the Vega seemed like a good idea at the time! Lightweight, sporty, with an aluminum OHC engine. GM's big cars were redesigned that year, and so were Mopar's intermediates, but there was nothing revolutionary about them at the time. They were just more of the same old thing, just bigger than the outgoing models, heavier, thirstier, and more fuselage-ed in the styling! The Pinto also came out that year, but was pretty dowdy compared to the Vega, which looked a bit like a scaled-down Camaro.

BTW, the Intrepid never won Car of the year, but the '99 300M did.
    thats a pretty interesting list of cars, and certaintly has it share of complete losers, ie Citation. Im surprised the AMC Pacer or Gremlin did not win honors. And, yes, the Vega was a certain loser, could not even get out of its own way. My sister used to pull into gas stations and tell the attendant to fill the oil and check the gas. Maybe the Trep R/T earned Car and Driver's honors.
  • Car of the Year is just like any other award they name - what works for a car magazine that drives a new car every week may not be the same as what a private owner is looking for.

For instance, in 1994 the COTY was the Ford Mustang. Not a bad car, and I'd love to own a 2005 Mustang, but it is not practical enough for everyday life.
  • tkfitztkfitz Posts: 95
    Got the title for our 2000. I usually do not go so long on a car loan but with 0% why pay any faster? The car is coming up on 50000 miles and has been great so far.
    So far the only dissapointment with the car was the OE Goodyear tires. Got rid of them at about 35000.
    Somehow feel it is a real pity that the replacement for my car is rear wheel drive...I will have to look for a FWD Ford or GM as a replacement. Too bad.
    Kind of quiet on this post lately. Are you still driving your Trep?
    still driving it. I just got the lien release stuff from Chrysler Financial last nite, so it's officially all mine now! For better or worse. It hasn't given me any fits yet, and even those cheap replacement rotors I put on it seem to be doing fine. For now, at least...