Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,578
    My mechanic replaced both of those sensors on my 2000 Intrepid about a year ago. The car started stalling out at random. At first it was pretty infrequent, and sometimes, if I caught it in time, just letting off the gas pedal and feathering it a bit would stop it. Someone in this forum (I'm too lazy to look it up now, heck it could've been you) mentioned that the problem would probably only get more frequent with time, and eventually the car wouldn't re-start at all. And sure enough, it did!

It ended up costing around $520 or so to replace both sensors, and the car has been fine ever since. Well, for the most part. The a/c compressor seized up the other week, and ended up sending shrapnel throughout the entire system. Cost around $1300 total to fix. But at least I'm ready for summer now! :shades:
  • 12pops1212pops12 Posts: 2
    Has anyone used a miller tool to refill the coolant. it says on the overflow jug to use one , it is impossible to fill without this tool .
    where can i get one and how does it work ?
  • I replaced the cam position sensor for 46 bucks, the car will start and run now BUT....

Ok i have a new issue apparently, there is a strange noise coming from below the timing belt cover around the pulley... its a rather disturbing noise only wayi can describe it is well it sounds like belts slipping but i checked the belts and they should not be slipping for any reason... but thats the best way i can explain the noise... also noticed after i turned the car off (its been about 2 weeks + of trying diff things to start it without success) once i turned the car off gasoline was foggin out the exhaust pipe like the engine had been super flooded i dont know if and how the two can be related but it made me think coolant at first but then i realized the engine was no where near hot enough to have coolant coming out( i just literally got it started heard the noise turned it off)

Anybody have any idea what can make funky rubber slipping not squeeking high pitched but a low pitched kinda rubber squeak?
  • roger924roger924 Posts: 40
    I just fill up the resivior on my 99 and then start the car once the thermostat opens squeeze the upper radiator hose to force out air pockets
    timing chain tensioner?
  • 12pops1212pops12 Posts: 2
    I found out that the intrepid overflow bottle has a 3" section where the cap fits on and the rest of the tank is sealed and is used for the purpose of mountig the tab to mount the bottle to the strut tower. Had me going.. It says on the tank itself to use a miller tool to refill...I called 2 dealers and they never heard of a miller tool...Makes you wonder why they want $90. per hour to diagnose your car !!!! They don't know the answers either and... just answer wanted $9 to tell me this !!!!! I talked to my radiator shop guy and he just laughed...takes all kinds to rip you off...
  • tomjch19tomjch19 Posts: 1
    Did you ever get an answer to your question chadg? I have the same problem.
    Mine is a 99 so there may be a difference but think about it. The section the cap fits onto has to flow into the rest of the system. If it didnt there would be no need for a pressurized cap, actually you wouldnt need a cap at all.

Also dodge is really bad about selling specialized tools most dealerships have just refused to sell them to me. Try this site you may find what you are looking for

http://www.millerspecialtools.spx.com/Main.aspx
  • Hi everyone - new to this site. I have a 2002 Dodge Intrepid. The fascia and rear bumper needs repainting. I've done this the past two years using Dodge factory basecoat and clearcoat - results have not been good. Can anyone suggest the proper method for painting these TPO surfaces, i.e. surface preparation, adhesion promoters, primer, applying basecoat and clear coat? Thanks!

Bill Vreeland
    Powell, Ohio
  • Ok I could really use some knowledge of how to get into my timing case... it appears i have to remove the c/s pulley now i cant find any easy to do it but once i started tryin to do so the damn thing started bubbling as if there were some sort of pressurized liquid in there... supposidly when my cam sensor went bad it screwed up somethin in the timing sproket or something so i could really use to get in there to inspect things but i am uncertain of what the hell im doing :-D anybody its a 97 3.5 liter intrepid i just wana peek at things or is it ok to remove the c/s pulley and if so is there anything i need to do before re mounting things... i have a good idea of how to remove the timing belt *(pain in the [non-permissible content removed] from my understanding) but i need to get in there to see the whole shabang any help would be greatly appreciated
  • govergover Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 dodge intrepid, the driver side interior door handle broke, the end plastic tips broke that connect to the metal rod that open the door from within. Can the door handle be replaced or is it a one piece unit with the door panel? If it can be replace how do you take the handle off?
  • martmccmartmcc Posts: 1
    have 2000 intrep rt getting vibration when car is under load at hiway speed and when it dips the suspenction any clue
  • rlp50rlp50 Posts: 13
    Two things to check; It could be a bad tire or one that is either out of balance or has thrown a wheel weight. Secondly, check the inner tierods. They meet dead center of the firewall. Check to see if the bushing has worn on either or both of the ends. If worn badly you will be able to move it around on the mounting bolt. Usually when the inners go the outers need replacing too. Worn bushings will cause a wobble or vibration, especially when hitting a dip or bump in the road.
    I let a friend borrow my 2000 Intrepid 2.7 last week, and he said the oil pressure light started flickering. I didn't have time to mess with it, so I just parked it until I could get to it. Today, I drove it to work, to see how it did, and it seemed fine. But then I drove a bit around lunch time, and did start to notice a very slight, intermittent flickering. Could that just be the sending unit starting to go, or a sensor or something?

I checked the oil and it's full. Also, the car sounds fine. About 5 1/2 years ago, it pulled a stunt where the pressure light would come on at idle, once fully warmed up, such as sitting at a traffic light, but that was fixed with a TSB. That time, the sending unit was fine, but there was some issue with the wiring just getting too hot and making the light come on. This time around, the light seems to come on at random, and it's very faint, and easy to miss during the daytime. It was dark when my friend saw the light come on, so it was probably more noticeable.

So, any ideas? Sending unit, most likely?
  • james234james234 Posts: 7
    my 1998 did the same thing it was inner tie rod, passenger side
  • just wondering when replacing serpentine belts on intrepid 2002 2.7 do i need to take of top radiator brace to easily access belts or tough it out and work in cramped places?any advice will help thanks
  • lisalolisalo Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me how I can determine if our 1996 Dodge Intrepid is "vmode" or not? It is a 3.5L 24 valve with an automatic transmission. We are looking at the gas mileage to see if it is "clunker" qualified and the vmode is 18 miles to the gallon - the other 3.5L model is 19 miles to the gallon - the difference between qualifying or not! Any help would be appreciated - we have all of the original owner's manuals but I can't find any indication. Thanks!
    I looked up "VMODE" on the EPA website, and got this description...

"User-Selectable Continuously Variable Transmission"

I think that might be a fancy term for the AutoStick, which was an automatic that was designed to be shifted like a manual if you so chose. It still had safety features in it to keep you from shifting into the wrong gear at too high of a speed, but it was more flexible than the regular automatic.

I had always thought that all 3.5's used the autostick, but maybe not?
    Yes it comes off, its easy probably about 10 bolts and 10 minutes
  • bruce05mubruce05mu Posts: 1
    At the end of 2006 my 03 intrepid's engine lost all compression and died while on the freeway. A gasket blew due to overheating. The overheating was due to the water pump going out. Luckily, I was still under warranty. I took the car to the certified dodge dealership for repair. The supposibly were waiting for an engine to come in for my vehicle for a month! The excuse they gave me was " The 3.5 liter engines are in high demand" I took his word for it. I knew that the 3.5's they use in intrepids they also use in the 300c's, 300m's,and magnums.
    it didnt hurt me too much to not have my vehicle for that long cuz i had work durning that month out of state.
    I just felt i should share my long awaited engine experience.