Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,849
    tow truck came and towed away my wrecked 2000 Intrepid. So the reality is hitting home...it's gone. Oh well...maybe it'll get parted out and help to keep other 2nd-gen Intrepids on the road. Or maybe someone bold/naiive enough will buy it and try to put it on the road again.

I'm gonna miss that car, though. Only car I've ever bought new. And when I bought it, it was sort of a symbol of a turning point in my life. I had gone through a bad divorce in '96 that left me pretty bad in debt. But I was able to turn that around, got it paid off in 2 1/2 years, was able to refinance my home to a much lower rate in summer of '99, and by November '99, my credit was good enough that I qualified for Chrysler's 0.9 financing. Final reading on the odometer was 150,351, and I had it for 10 years, 1 month, and two days.

Still no idea on what I'm going to replace it with. The 2000 Intrepid ES I had found for sale online has sold. I was attracted to it, but after 10 years figured maybe it's time to try something a bit different. Today I found a 2000 Bonneville SE with leather, sunroof, alloys, etc, white, 65000 miles, for $4734. I might go check it out on Thursday. In a twisted sort of way, maybe that would be appropriate, as I thought of the Bonneville as the Intrepid's closest competitor.
  • Had the same problem with my 99. It was using alot of oil. Most likely the valve stem seals have gotten brittle. The heads run very hot and ruin the rubber for the seals. I replaced the valve stem seals at 150k and now have 220k on the engine with no oil loss what so ever. You can change the valve stem seals without removing the heads. I took the heads of to change them. Had a speed shop tank and re-lap the valves. There was a lot of carbon in the combustion chamber and that could cause the knocking since it changes the compression ratio. After repairing, change the oil every 3k and only use 10W30. Anything higher in weight will sludge the engine. I have used nothing but Penzoil in this car and there was no sludge what so ever in the motor. Hope this helps.
    Today I deposited the insurance payoff for my poor, totaled Intrepid. Came out to $1,988.73. And I also picked up its replacement...a 2000 Buick Park Ave Ultra that's just about fully-loaded. It's a nicer car in many ways than my Intrepid, but when you consider it was almost twice the original MSRP, it better be. Still, as nice of a car as it is, I know I'm going to miss that Intrepid.
  • My 2001 Dodge Intrepid ES leaks fuel whenever I start the car. When I turn the car off, there's no leakage at all. My husband kind've looked under the hood and noticed some type of glass case which he thinks may be the fuel pump or something and thinks it may be cracked.
    Has anyone else heard of this or have any suggestions?
  • tkfitztkfitz Posts: 95
    Nice car. I always liked the Buicks. IIRC the Ultra is the supercharged version of the 3.8 liter. It must fly!
    Well, this must make me about the last survivor from the days when this forum was full of people talking about their new Intrepids. I think one of the first posts I read here was about your car being broken into at some amusement park. Seems like just yesterday when my wife and came home with our new car. Hard to believe it was the low financing that actually had me test driving a Dodge. Dealer kicked in a couple hundred bucks and called it "0"% financing or something like that.
    95000 miles on the old girl-drove home from work today doing 75-80 on the highway-and 0 regrets about the purchase so far.
    Hey, I hope the buick works out for you as well as the Intrepid did.
  • tkfitztkfitz Posts: 95
    The fuel pump is probably right in the tank-that is the usual spot in most modern cars. That being said, gas does catch on fire rather easily. If not sure what you are looking at I would get the car towed to a competant mechanic. Fuel pumps are usually on anytime the ignition is on, gas sprayed on the exhaust system or anything hot can be deadly. To the car at the very least. Why take a chance?
    Thanks, it seems to be a pretty good car so far. I still miss my Intrepid, though! It's pretty quick with the supecharged 3.8, although for some reason I thought it would be faster. Maybe because it's a bigger, heavier car than the Intrepid? Also, it doesn't rev nearly as high as the Intrepid did, and I'm sure it has more insulation and stuff, so perhaps all that just conspires to make it feel slower than it is?

I think my Intrepid handled better. This Park Ave bounces around a lot more than the Trep did, although it never feels unstable. And while it pretty much silences most of the smaller bumps in the road, it doesn't seem to handle the big ones any better than the Trep did. And when you consider the price points of the cars, I think the Intrepid's interior was a more valiant effort. Just little things, like the pop-out cupholder in the Trep versus this flimsy thing that folds out of the center armrest on the Park Ave. Or the Trep's bigger glovebox and deeper door pockets. Or even the trunk struts on the Trep, versus the mammoth, luggage-crunching gooseneck hinges on the Park Ave. Oh, and when you pop the Park Ave's trunk open, better make sure nobody's standing over it, because it'll knock them out as it flies open to a 90 degree angle. And you can't keep it down either, unless you totally close it. Great for rainy weather. :sick:

But, I'm nitpicking for the most part. It's still a nice car, and I'm happy with it so far. I just still miss my Intrepid! :cry:
  • I need to swap my 2.7 out for a 3.2. I would like to know what kind of mileage these 3.2s are lasting for. Three of the five 3.2 engines in Washington state have 135k on them. Are these 200 or 250k engines, or am I going to end up replacing the engine again in a few thousand miles. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
  • bobe4bobe4 Posts: 12
    I have a 1999 Intrepid which I bought new in June 2000. Now has 162K miles and I'm driving it from Denver to LA next week. I wish they still made them. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
  • grant74grant74 Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 Intrepid with a 3.5L. After driving for about 20-30 minutes the low oil pres. light will come on when I apply the brakes to stop, it goes out upon acceleration. (oil level is good, oil changed every 3000 miles) Any ideas?
  • james234james234 Posts: 7
    Hi Grant assuming the oil level is full, it sounds like the oil pressure sensor is bad so I would change the oil filter and see if it will still light up. If it still lights you may have a bad oil pump.
  • terri15terri15 Posts: 2
    1995 Dodge Intrepid. First the Dimmer switch went out, replaced it. lights on the dash panel (ABS, Gas Gauge, Air Bag, etc) dont always go off some of them work some of the time and some of them dont. Its what the car wants at the time. Even the motors in the windows quit working, had them replaced, now they wont work again. Now you can put the vehicle in Drive, Reverse, or any other place and its just like you did nothing to it, it wont move, only when it decides too. I really need help I have put mega bucks into fixing the car and the same stuff keeps happening all over again...I really love the car but just cant figure out what the problem could be.

desperate for help
  • terri15terri15 Posts: 2
    my 95 intrepid is doing the same thing but is getting worse...did you ever find out what the problem was????
  • chelseychelsey Posts: 1
    I have a 02 Dodge intrepid. V6 3.5L - a couple of months ago - I was making a U turn & it died out, wouldn't start again. Mechanic said it was the timing? - Got that fixed, then the oil light started to come on.. to make a long story short, 3 diagnostic test's, 2 mechanics and $600.00 later, the oil light STILL comes on at idle/stop & below 2000rpm. Engine light is also on. It seems like the oil light goes on sooner, as the car warms up & is ran for a while. When I step on the gas - it sounds like a washing machine. Like the engine needs more power. One test said it was my gas cap, one mechanic said it wasn't my oil pressure, but no one can figure it out! Too much $$ to go to the dealer, no warranty. Thoughts? Please HELP! :sick:
  • grant74grant74 Posts: 2
    My 96 had the oil light problem when I turned or applied the brakes, the light would come on.....turned out to be the low oil sensor by the oil filter, cost about 14 dollars, replaced it myself...solved the problem. Good luck
  • coop85coop85 Posts: 1
    Are you sure that you do not have the infinity system? If you have tweeters in your door and in your dash then you do. But anyway if you are sure that your car has the factory amp, it is located on the passenger side kick panel, once you remove the panel and look up, you will see the amplifier. What sort of a noise was your car making when you tried to play music? Because mine sounded like a pair of headphones even when the system was turned all the way up.
  • I have a 2004 dodge intrepid thats having electrical issues. dash lights will fricker, headlights also if on then they will go off just for a second.radio will also go off and speakers will pop.Doesnt do it all the time just when it wants to. can anyone help?
    my 2000 Intrepid got totaled when someone pulled a hit-and-run on it in a restaurant parking lot. Hell of an anniversary to remember, but it sticks with me. Just thought I'd pop in, and see if there's any activity still going on here. Nice to see a few of you guys still have your Intrepids running.

I miss mine. It was just a base model, with the 2.7, but it was a good car, and the only brand-new car I've ever bought. It had about 150,000 miles on it when it got totaled.

Oh, as for the oil pressure light coming on, mine did that too. There's a TSB for it. In my case it was just some sensor that got too hot, and in some instances where it didn't get enough air flow, such as stopped at a traffic light, fully warmed up, it would flicker. Mine started doing it around 85-90,000 miles, I think.
  • bobe4bobe4 Posts: 12
    My sympathy to you for your loss. My 1999 Intrepid is still going strong with 178,000 miles. I bought it new in June 2000. In September of this year I drove it 4300 miles from the Denver area to LA and from Imperial Beach to Oregon along the California coast and back home. It averaged 26 mpg as registered on the meter in the overhead console. Driving time was something like 85 hours. The only thing I don't like about this car is that I love it so much I can't get rid of it. There is nothing in my price range to replace it.